What do you hate about the rave scene in BRC?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
mowgli

What do you hate about the rave scene in BRC?

Post by mowgli » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:16 am

Im just curious. I kinda like the all night clubs. Although, it would be very nice to have a few more alternatives in the line of dance and music, but thats completly up to the participants to make that happen now isnt it? Personally I think more Jazz clubs would rock. More funk and soul would be fun as well. Especially at the decibal levels that the Techno is pumped at.

Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread so that all of you who think that rave clubs and music suck at BM could tell everyone why they suck instead of just whining about it.
SO RANT AWAY!!!!

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:23 am

I don't HATE it but I think BM shouldn't be ABOUT DJ's and raves. Burning Man isn't a dance. It isn't a concert. Sure, it's nice to have a couple of dance camps and to have some music ... but it seems that BM has come to be ABOUT those things for many.

I just read someone's blog yesterday. They were part of the Sol camp. All she talks about every single day is getting 3 hours of sleep and going from dance camp to dance camp. Pining for her favorite DJ, nearly breaking down in tears when her favorite DJ didn't show at one camp ... but she found him at another dance camp ... etc. etc. etc.

And she had a troupe of friends that she kept meeting at the various dance venues ... etc.

Music is nice. It is wonderful. I love music. Burning Man isn't about just music to me. It is for an increasingly large percentage of people. I think it is killing the event.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:24 am

i heard very little 'techno' this year.
e pluribus unimog

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:30 am

I was camped 2 blocks from Pinkys ... I heard it all night long.

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:32 am

nope. you heard mostly house and breaks.

techno was very hard to find.
e pluribus unimog

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:35 am

im talking about techno as in the german kind...
e pluribus unimog

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:36 am

whatever ... it was loud ... it was all night long ... it filled up the porta pottys ... its okay. Maybe I will show up in a uniform next year and ask for receipts to show that all music being played was properly purchased so the artists got their cut.

Rob the Wop

Post by Rob the Wop » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:46 am

What's the one that goes
...THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..

and how does that differ from the one that goes
...THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..
or

???
[b]The other, other white meat.[/b]

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:50 am

Maybe it would be cool to get a flatbed truck stacked with amps and speakers and pull up outside a house/breaks/techno camp and crank up an endless loop of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida for 8 to 12 hours.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:57 am

what's that blues song that goes I-IV-V-I?

how does it differ from that Nirvanna song that goes I-IV-V-I?

or that boston song that goes I-IV-V-I?

or that folk song that goes I-IV-V-I?
call me baby

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:59 am

rave scene?

personally, i think i am going to the desert without burning man...

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:04 pm

1: Hey, did you see that camp where they were doing surgery?
2: Was there a DJ there?
1: No
2: Is there one near there?
2: Nah.

2: I looked all over for this one dance camp but I never found it.
1: Oh, cool, what else dd you see?
2: Nothing, I just came back here to listen to our DJ
1: Did you talk to any of the other camps?
2: I couldn't find any other camps. None of them had any DJs.

2: Hey, want to go out in the deep playa, lay down and look for shooting stars?
1: Is there a DJ out there?
2: Nevermind

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:08 pm

Thats certainly an idea, Geekster. Someone should try that.

Techno, electronica, house, breaks. Same difference to those who don't like the stuff.

So, you really think it's killing the event? Music and dance are both art forms. And electronica can be quite creative at times. beleive it or not. I actually think that they are two of the most expressive of the art forms. Definetly some of the oldest. They certainly have their place at an arts festival. However, I do think there should be more diversity and I beleive it may be coming. Experimental music would be awsome. I know a performer, he goes by the name, " that one guy", who builds his own intruments out of various electronic contraptions, PVC pipe and alot of other strange odds and ends. This guy makes some really nice music. It can be weird at times but very cool.

But, thats off the subject. we'll see how it goes but I'm sure you'll have quite a time getting rid of the raves. Try that Iron Butterfly idea though. Let me know how it goes. [/i]

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:15 pm

the rave scene inhibits creativity and participation. Its true. I loved dancing in the clubs, but usually didnt hit them till one or two in the morning. I hate to miss all the stuff that goes down out on the playa after the sun sets. Well really geekster, Its to bad for the ones who only hang out in the clubs and dont get to see or experience much else.

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:15 pm

Oh, I dont think they should be GOTTEN RID of. It would be nice to have a few camps that do that. I guess it isn't the music so much as it is the culture that surrounds it. Exchange the thumpa, thumpa with zydeco and you would have mardi gras. It seems the focus is on dressing up and watching everyone watch everyone. Screw that.

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:28 pm

geekster wrote:I guess it isn't the music so much as it is the culture that surrounds it.
care to elaborate?
e pluribus unimog

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:48 pm

I thought I did. You get up, you dance, you go to sleep, you get up, you dance, you go to sleep, you get up, you dance, you go to sleep ....

1: Hey, lets volunteer for the cafe
2: Do they have a DJ there?
2: Nah
1: How about let's be lamplighters?
2: Nah, so-and-so is DJing and his stuff serious!

It shouldn't be eliminated, it just shouldn't be the central focus that it has become for probably near 50% of the "participants" and I use that term loosely for people that just pay an admission fee for a week-long rave.

Heck, I like all kinds of music and don't mind listening to some ... even some LOUD shit but dayum, not 24 hrs/day.

Answer me this. If the decree were to come down from on high ... no amplified music of any sort ... no speakers or amps allowed. How do you think that would impact attendance the second year?

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:50 pm

It would kill attendence. you'r right. i think it would cut attendence by close to half

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:51 pm

Okay, not modify it slightly ... no RECORDED music of any sort.

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:56 pm

Thats much different. look at Mutaytor. They rock and they're fun to dance to and they appeal to the rave crowd. Its almost all live performance though. good shit

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:09 pm

Yeah, and a live band cant go 24x7 either. They need to stop and eat and poop and drink and might even want to check out Burning Man. I have nothing against music itself, or even any particular style of music. I just have something against a culture of 24x7 non-stop music and thats all there is.

I don't even have a problem with a couple of DJ camps and people that want to mix and spin or whatever ... but in moderation. Maybe sprinkle them all over the city with a 50 watt power maximum and 4-8 am as quiet time or something.

Or maybe a raid on a rave camp and give all the spectators wedgies or something.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:17 pm

wedgies for everyone!

I'm not sure exactly why I don't like the rave scene, or why it doesn't seem like the true spirit of burningman to me...I can't quite put my finger on what it is that doesn't inspire me, or make me want to dance...I used to dance at clubs all the time. But now if it's not live music it's hard for me to care...

at the northbay decompression party there was a rave like room with a dj in it, and most of the people there seemed to think it was awesome, it was full, and people were dancing all night long. in the other room where the live band setup was there was also a dj, but he was spinning more like punk or new wave or world beat or stuff like that, stuff that has real drums.

i guess that's what it comes down to for me. real drums. even if they are recorded...and lyrics that don't repeat the same thing over and over again...i need some lyrical development to keep my attention, even when I am frying...is that just me?

does that mean my attention span is too short, or too long? hmmm....
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:32 pm

I get bored easily so the thumpa, thumpa is okay sometimes if there is enough interesting background stuff going on ... acid house can hold my attention for an hour maybe and then it all starts to sound the same.

It seems to me that the ravers have simply rediscovered how beat and motion and breath can cause an altered state that humans have known about for thousands of years. And that is okay but personally I get bored with it because it offers no new ground. It is like racing a car around a circle all day.

I like stuff that tickles my mind a little more, takes me places, plays with my senses. One of the best experiances I ever had was with classical music even. Wasted out of my gourd on the banks of the Charles River with the Pops playing the 1812 Overture with fireworks blasting at the finale and artillery from the Mass. National Guard on barges in the river blasting ... a totally awesome day. Real cannon are like real drums, I suppse :)

Silver 2

Post by Silver 2 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:41 pm

As long as it is not rap they can play it all day, all night and dance 'til they puke.

Actually I kind of like techno, house and trance every once in a while. At Burning Man it just becomes white noise to me after a while and I don't even notice.

I went by someplace this year that had some kind of rap crap playing, I didn't hang around long enough to figure out what kind; I simply turned and fled.
I like playing with fire.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:05 pm

stuart wrote:what's that blues song that goes I-IV-V-I?

how does it differ from that Nirvanna song that goes I-IV-V-I?

or that boston song that goes I-IV-V-I?

or that folk song that goes I-IV-V-I?
Stuart, you bust me up. I know you're not a raver but you are the best (devil's?) advocate they have on e-playa. You make me very sorry that I missed Camp hi! this year.

Oh, and that song is Leaving On a Jet Plane. :-)

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:08 pm

everyone has their tastes. I dont think any regulations will be put into effect anytime soon. We will see

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:15 pm

personally, what i hate most about the rave scene, is that in many regards, its not that different from the rave scene outside of BRC.

that and the fact that rave is a dirty word.
e pluribus unimog

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:19 pm

It is like racing a car around a circle all day.
so, you want to ban NASCAR as well?
call me baby

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:30 pm

yeah Alpha, I am not a raver in the sense that it is not a lifestyle choice for me. Still, I don't quite get what is supposed to be wrong with people who go out often to dance. I did not get why angry white men were so opposed to it in the 70s either.

I get not liking the music but don't dig the sweeping generalizations. I'd rather drink paint than listen to Eric Clapton but I don't go around preaching about how rock n' roll is dead or any some such.

In this context I'd rather have a discussion about specific behaviors that people find unsavory in BRC than one of musical taste. At least 95% of music in all genres sucks as far as I can tell.
call me baby

Q_

Post by Q_ » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:43 pm

What do I hate about the rave scene in BRC?

Nothing - I like the raves, they are fun and usually produce a large pool of eye candy. Most of the big parties point out to the playa and personaly I find it soothing to go to sleep with some nice lovely trance in the background. Mmmmm trance.....
Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the wise but seek what they sought

Return to “Philosophical Center”