What do you hate about the rave scene in BRC?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
synchronicity

Post by synchronicity » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:42 pm

Air support. We need air support. I suppose Napalm strikes on the Playa are out of the question.
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:15 am

Goodness...Imagine the burn scars.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Nightterror

Post by Nightterror » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:20 am

Fat SAM wrote:Goodness...Imagine the burn scars.
From the Napalm or the cigars?
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:32 am

Little from column A, little from column B.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:14 am

I was thinking more along the lines of this...

Maybe not, tho??? Aw darn...

BBS

_________

As always, repro rights granted for the good of the Kamp.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:33 am

And yet...and yet...

There are only three things that will survive...Roaches, ravers, and Twinkies.

Stryder

Post by Stryder » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:31 pm

People who bitch about it...

Burning Man is still the land of do-as-you-please-just-clean-up-after-yourself-when-you're-done.
Some people bitch about the sound art, or rave camps. I've had less trouble from them than I did from the thoughtless asshole who showed up on Wednesday and set up his generator fifty feet from his RV and twenty feet from mine. Now was that nice? But, Thursday some really cool folks with wood built us a box to cover the generator. We gifted them with beer and brownies. Now wasn't THAT nice...
The playa is the one week a year where I don't have to deal with bullshit from the rest of the world, but it seems people are losing sight of that, and bringing the bullshit with them. The latest Burning Man survival guide is less a survival guide and more a book of rules and regulations. Do this, DON'T DO THAT, stop what you're doing, and oh clean your shit up when you're done not doing what we told you not to do...
BM is the one week a year I can really just dance with abandon, don't have to worry about driving home, don't have to worry about the party being 'busted', or cops hassling me for expressing myself on the dusty dance floor that is Black Rock.
One week a year where we don't need a fucking permit, or a fire marshal, or a cover charge, or some staggering asshole bumping into me while I groove.
So if people bring gargantuan sounds systems to the desert, see it for what it is: It's the one time a year where some groups of people can let off steam without somebody giving them shit. I'm sure anyone can appreciate that...
"Look, good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else."

Zem

Post by Zem » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:43 pm

Amen my friend,amen
"a good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" -Lao Tzu

the_iconoclast

Re: What do you hate about the rave scene in BRC?

Post by the_iconoclast » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:10 pm

The arguments presented are good. One small fact to consider though. Many of the MOOP hotspots found post event, up to 9 months later (locations determined by GPS) were based in areas where the rave camps held court. Main MOOP? Cigarette butts.

Have fun! Dance til you drop! Not a bitch so much as a request.. carry the butts out.

[quote="Stryder"]What do you hate about the rave scene in BRC?

Burning Man is still the land of do-as-you-please-just-clean-up-after-yourself-when-you're-done.
/quote]

Fat SAM

Re: What do you hate about the rave scene in BRC?

Post by Fat SAM » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:30 pm

Stryder wrote:What do you hate about the rave scene in BRC?

Some people bitch about the sound art, or rave camps. I've had less trouble from them than I did from the thoughtless asshole who showed up on Wednesday and set up his generator fifty feet from his RV and twenty feet from mine. Now was that nice? But, Thursday some really cool folks with wood built us a box to cover the generator. We gifted them with beer and brownies. Now wasn't THAT nice...
The playa is the one week a year where I don't have to deal with bullshit from the rest of the world, but it seems people are losing sight of that, and bringing the bullshit with them. The latest Burning Man survival guide is less a survival guide and more a book of rules and regulations. Do this, DON'T DO THAT, stop what you're doing, and oh clean your shit up when you're done not doing what we told you not to do...
BM is the one week a year I can really just dance with abandon, don't have to worry about driving home, don't have to worry about the party being 'busted', or cops hassling me for expressing myself on the dusty dance floor that is Black Rock.
One week a year where we don't need a fucking permit, or a fire marshal, or a cover charge, or some staggering asshole bumping into me while I groove.
So if people bring gargantuan sounds systems to the desert, see it for what it is: It's the one time a year where some groups of people can let off steam without somebody giving them shit. I'm sure anyone can appreciate that...
Double amen.

Janka

Post by Janka » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:44 pm

Stryder, eloquently put, thank you! I think you made me see something. Have a good burn! :)
"The great way is low and plain,
but people like shortcuts over the mountains."

http://www.iki.fi/janka/log/

crazycloud

Post by crazycloud » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:31 pm

the POSERS
i see the ufo's around it, but that's a god damn egg in the middle. there's a hobit eating it, but god damnit, that hobbit's eating a fucking egg

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:54 am

The ravers. I don't really hate you guys...I just really like making fun of you.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Burning Pac Man eats ravers

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:24 am

JezebelinHell wrote:The ravers. I don't really hate you guys...I just really like making fun of you.
Right again, Jez. For those that enjoy that, play Burning Pac Man with the sound cranked up and eat some ravers for lunch:
http://www.mutantvehicle.com/burning_pac_man.htm
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

chineseobelisk

Post by chineseobelisk » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:26 pm

help an old bumpkin out here...what, actually IS a raver, and what exactly constitutes a rave?
measuring the weight of smoke

b00m3rang

Post by b00m3rang » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:42 pm

A raver is someone who is a fan of electronic dance music including the genres: House, Garage, Techno, Breakbeats, Trance, Drum 'n Bass, Hardcore, Happycore, and others (as well as their dozens of spinoffs and sub-genres).

Raves are events where this dance music is played, originally referring to the illegal underground warehouse parties that were held in secrecy to avoid persecution by law enforcement types. It's pretty much the same situation you had with Jazz, Rock and Roll, Punk, and Heavy Metal... it is the new type of music that some in the establishment associate with turning their children evil and making them dress funny.

Most attendees don't call them "raves" anymore, for various reasons, but listening to techno all night has become a tradition that looks like it'll be around a while.

Sean_til_Dawn

Post by Sean_til_Dawn » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:23 pm

[quote="Rob the Wop"]What's the one that goes
[b]...THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..[/b]

and how does that differ from the one that goes
[b]...THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..THUD..[/b]
or

???[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sean_til_Dawn

Post by Sean_til_Dawn » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:26 pm

People ask me what BM is all about.

I say, "Radical self-expression.".

They ask what that is.

I say, "Do whatever you want as long as you don't physically hurt anyone or steal anything."

They want me to bring back some pictures.

I say, "Buy a fucking ticket."

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:40 pm

I Love Ravers.
Toasted mostly.
Sometimes Crispy-Fried.

Return to “Philosophical Center”