Nudity on the Playa

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
tonytohono

Nudity on the Playa

Post by tonytohono » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:25 pm

I'm just wondering how many of you people have went naked, or partially naked while out on the playa.

I know I saw quite a few people that I could understand their need to flant, but I think I saw even more that probably should have kept their cloths on~! In particular some of the heavier set men riding bikes!

Sandwichman
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Sandwichman » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:37 pm

Next year you can stand guard at the gate and tell people if they will be allowed to get naked and it will solve all of our problems.
oonsa oonsa for your feets [url=http://www.djjasonphilips.com/mixes/mixes_files/La_musica_que_no_tacara_usted_quiere_que_tio_corte.mp3]click here[/url]

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:45 pm

LemmeseeifIgotthisright: only people you find attractive should feel free to shed their clothes? Naked = flaunting, in other words.

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:49 pm

lol~! hmm... maybe I worded that wrong.

That is not what I meant. I better shut up now!!!

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:53 pm

Action... I do not believe I used the word attractive... and I did not mean it that way. I was talking about carriage (yeah sure you were Tony) and attitude.

The funnest person I saw naked I would not consider attractive at all actually... but I was highly entertained and I think that was the point.

Granted it did sound like that is what I meant. But it actually wasn't.... I swear goddamnit.

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:03 pm

Granted it did sound like that is what I meant. But it actually wasn't.... I swear goddamnit.
Then backtrack and tell us what you did mean. For the record I'm with AG on this one. Yours isn't the first post that subtley incorprated value judegements re. body types, ageism, etc.
Desert dogs drink deep.

sonic

Post by sonic » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:12 pm

I went naked. I love that I can be naked there. I don't to it to flaunt or get attention or anything. I do it because it feels good. I do it to express myself. All bodies are beautiful and have the right to be naked whether or not they are "attractive".
“Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone elseâ€

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:18 pm

Let me break it down:

First of all forgive my mispelling of flaunt.

What I meant with this line:
I know I saw quite a few people that I could understand their need to flant
was attitude as mention in my third post, and sure maybe they looked good. Does that automatically give license to run naked? I have no idea. Are more people going to stare? Probably. Am I going to stare longer? Fuck yes. Does that make me a pig? Probably.

Am I sorry? No. Do I think ugly people should keep their clothes on? No. I don't. Do I care if you think I am a prick? No.

What else do I have to say? Sorry if I came off as an ass. Did you accept my apology? I don't really give a flying fuck. So there.

Now about the dude on the bike with his seat post sticking out of his ass... Well it was not pretty, albeit quite funny and I told him so as I rode up alongside, and we both laughed. And finally, it is the one picture I wish I would have taken the most that I did in fact not take. Why? Because it was funny. And he was totally comfortable and that was cool. No problem.

That does not mean I think he should have been doing it. Or vice versa. I just said probably he shouldn't have. I don't know why, but clearly I fucked up.

Got it? For your information Badg I am not young, nor do I think my opinion should matter if anyone does or does not disrobe. Personally, I don't run naked. I don't have the guts. Happy?

geekster

Post by geekster » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:19 pm

I wore shorts because the skin on my ass is damned near translucent. I don't want to get a burn on my tender bits. Maybe a kilt for next year.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:33 pm

Yeah but what about nudity on e-playa? What are you wearing?

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:42 pm

:oops: I'd rather not say... but I will, or maybe I better not say that either. I think it would be best if I just shut my mouth for awhile.

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:53 pm

I for one am sick of all the naked people on the playa! Where did they come from? They're just taking over. It's awful and so immoral, not to mention all that noise from those slapping sagging dicks and boobs. And then they sit on things- gross! Cover up- don't make up look at you. I think naked people should be banned, or at least made to camp on only the outer streets. Seriously, they aren't even participating- they just think they can be naked and that's enough! What are they giving to the community beside nausea? They are gross and we can do without them!

Sandwichman
Burning Since: 2004

Re: ~

Post by Sandwichman » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:03 pm

sparkletarte wrote:I for one am sick of all the naked people on the playa! Where did they come from? They're just taking over. It's awful and so immoral, not to mention all that noise from those slapping sagging dicks and boobs. And then they sit on things- gross! Cover up- don't make up look at you. I think naked people should be banned, or at least made to camp on only the outer streets. Seriously, they aren't even participating- they just think they can be naked and that's enough! What are they giving to the community beside nausea? They are gross and we can do without them!
Maybe we could setup a naked person ghetto. We could force them to be branded with a giant N to show they like to go nude. Hmm this sounds oddly familiar.

Jason
oonsa oonsa for your feets [url=http://www.djjasonphilips.com/mixes/mixes_files/La_musica_que_no_tacara_usted_quiere_que_tio_corte.mp3]click here[/url]

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:16 pm

thing is sandwich, we started doing that there would undoubtedly be a wave of people running around naked just so they could get the brand.

I've been there, I've done that.... see !

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:36 pm

I was naked lots of the time it was warm enough or I had a fire to dance by and nearly so much of the rest of the time except when trekking home late at night with temps in the 50's, I'm no fool : )

(A purist would point out that I Was wearing a silly hat...and socks and boots...and sunscreen and goggles...and various beads and rings...)

Everybody deserves to embrace their human being and be naked, those who put the effort into staying fit deserve to be extra proud of themselves, and the more lean nude male firedancers the better!
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Kilts Kount

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:37 am

Does a kilt count? I was naked while getting painted a celtic blue, and at the carcas wash when lovely volunteers tried to scrub it off. Camp showers too. I found that the whole naked/cloted thing meant a lot more to me when I was a BM virgin and now that I am compressed again. On the playa, I loved the nudity around me. It encouraged me to, as our thoughtful hostess at The Bar puts it, "wear my sole on the outside".

Still, you can't beat a kilt for playa wear!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:45 am

I went totally naked every day in 99, 2000, and 2001. It really helped me to get over body image issues and a certain insecurity.

Since then, I've come to find that there are two impracticalities to my being totally naked. One, I work all day, and that sometimes means climbing, lifting, and schlepping, or sitting on hot golf cart seats, dank dusty couches, a bikeseat, cold metal chairs in the BRG building, etc. Hot pants are so much more practical, and in fact, to me, cuter than being naked. The second factor is the parental-unit ratio - my folks have attended since 2003, and my fiance's parents came this year to attend our not-wedding. I know my stepdad or either of his parents would be mortified to run into me naked, and so I generally wear a strapless top of some sort. Almost the same feeling of freedom, but more supported (see lifting, climbing, working...)

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:48 am

BTW to the original poster of this thread: I wasn't trying to jump down your throat, which is why I asked if I had it straight before I posted much of a reaction. It's just become a common refrain every year: "Some people just SHOULDN'T go naked," and it makes me sick, so I guess I have a hot button for it.

But don't get me started on the t-shirt with no pants. That's a whole 'nother thread.

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:59 am

Yeah ST, I hate that for a lot of people burning man is all about the nudity. What about the art? Taking your clothes off is not participating.
call me baby

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:14 am

But don't get me started on the t-shirt with no pants. That's a whole 'nother thread.

Yeah. What's up with the donald duck outfit? Seems one wouldn't want a toasted penis. I can only imagine the pain.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:21 am

hey jelly...i hope you didnt drive the car around all nekkid and stuff...id hate to think i was sitting in butt N ball sweat all week

-Cpt. Duke

Anthony Bondi

au contraire

Post by Anthony Bondi » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:32 am

The practice of social nudity can be a perfect mechanism for establishing a physical personal identtity separate from media-generated models. "Don't you feel insecure when comparing yourself with perfection? Come on down to the mall and we'll sell you something that might ease your insecurity." I don't resent mass media for fostering this illusion. That's its job; to sell us stuff. It's our fault if we don't generate a personal response to this challenge. The simple judgement we can make that we or others do not conform to ideals of beauty is a neutral observation. That we all have our unique physical attributes is a perception that can only be arrived at with experience. You need to see enough naked bodies for the shock to wear off, and then keep looking, politely, and a whole spectrum of experience will be opened to you. To present your naked personal body to the world in a non-sexual context involves a process of self-discovery that most people find startling and exhilarating. BRC is a perfect environment in which to try this experience.

GuinivereElise

Post by GuinivereElise » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:41 am

I was naked most of my days on the playa. I was naked because I like to be naked. Because it's freeing and wonderful in a way that isn't celebrated in most of my real world. At night, I was costumed, but it usually involved some nudity as well. I embrace the loveliness of being able to decorate my body with costuming, as opposed to having to hide it with clothing. I don't necessarily think that 'just being naked' is full participation, but, for some, it can be... for some, the very act of being nude in front of people other than those they are intimate with is a horrifying experience, and it may take all that they have to do so. I applaud them for it. My $.02

And Sparkletart, you seem to be such a 'yes' person elsewhere, I can only imagine that you were being sarcastic... please tell me you were...

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:41 am

It's cool actiongrl, I kind of figured that was it. I didn't mean to come off as some kind of self righteous nudity judge. I was just looking for comments on why people do it, I guess. Guess I was tired of doling and getting dished over on the political threads and I was looking to start something intended to be a little more fun.

I dunno, I saw some stuff that kind of made me go, ahem, and if it were me I wouldn't necessarily want to create that response, but if they're into it, more power to them. It still makes me smile, ahem, right after I cringe.

:?

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:20 pm

Now, where did the picture of Treys ass go.........
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:03 pm

Tony, You better be wearing blinders. The old man and I will be seeking you out. You need to know how your body will look in a few years. We will be happy to fill your need. Man there is nothing ugler than an old man in the buff.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

tonytohono

Post by tonytohono » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:52 pm

unjonharley - lol... I can deal with that. I'm not knocking anyone's body. Trust me, I ain't pretty.

dr.placebo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Post by dr.placebo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:43 pm

Although I don't cruise around naked, I wind up being naked in a few situations. Examples are chasing the water truck, taking a shower, changing costume, being in a Spencer Tunick shoot, getting a beer at the Our Lady of Schlongs Meat Inspection Center, or getting/giving a massage at Camp Sunscreen. I like naked skin, but I like other costumes, too.

My own opinion is that nudity is statistically unusual at BM. Most gatherings have way under 10% nude bodies, and usually less than 25% are topless (even male) [not counting the CT ride, of course]. Of course, maybe I'm just not visiting the "right" places.

But the numbers are not important, it's the freedom to choose any costume from complete skin to Cookie Monster that I like. I don't harass, and I don't want to be harassed, including artistic harassment.

And I don't like to judge on age. A neighbor last year was an over-60 woman, sometimes naked or topless, and her body had a few miles on it, but she was beautiful because she was happy to be there and happy to be who she was.

regynalonglank

Post by regynalonglank » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:27 pm

if burningman is about radical self expression then lets look at the nudity in those terms.

beautiful woman/man (fits the current acceptable stereotype for attractiveness in this culture - model type) running around naked in a place where people would think it is cool (like on the playa) is not necessarily radical, although it could be self expression for sure.

for someone who does not fit the template, someone who weighs more than 150 pounds, someone who has never been naked outside their shower stall, someone who is so thin they are uncomfortable being seen, someone who has large scars, or has birthmarks, someone who would never normally risk such a thing - for them to run around naked in public is incredible - it is definitely radical, and i applaud them...to me they are beautiful because they are taking a huge risk, putting themselves out there, making it happen - to me that is art.

perhaps to you older people aren't beautiful naked - but i assure you they still feel like a hot young thing on the inside, and shouldn't they get to run around naked and have fun too? what about when you're old? are you just gonna hide somewhere? I'm not. you'll just have to deal with my wrinkly ass and my saggy tits, cuz i'm gonna be in your face until i drop dead. and i don't care what you think. i'm gonna live. and if that means i want to be an old naked person, then too bad for you. look the other way if it scares you so much to think what you'll look like some day. cuz you will! gravity waits for no one...

the whole no pants but everything else normal outfit puzzles me tho...

but in answer to your original question, in camp i was naked quite a bit, usually right after a shower, or if it was really hot. outside of camp mostly not so naked, although there were a few times i ran out for one reason or another with not much on other than shoes and a wrap...but not for long. i sunburn pretty easily, and i don't like to be cold.

as a younger person i would have definitely been flaunting my body - i was pretty proud of it then. at this point i am more just trying to be comfortable with who i am now, and not compare myself to others, or my past self.

it was not only freeing for me to be able to show skin, it was amazing to be in a place where most people felt that way, and i found myself constantly saying i love it here because it was so out of the ordinary, so much beauty and costume and flesh and celebration in one place! it felt good to be a human being, to me we are beautiful in all our many forms.
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:47 pm

As an older, heavier woman, nudity isn't my personal cup of tea. Sticky sweaty bits, also I burn like toast; this past year I dutifully kept my post surgical incisions covered. It had only been two days between the procedure and hitting the playa, the wounds were literallly fresh.

However, I have strolled around the Solstice fire (28 degrees no less) last season. Shattered my body image issues to bits, hurrah. This year I am looking forward to the naked stroll ... I have a couple huge scars now and need to let them out. It ain't pretty but hot damn it'll be beautiful.

And maybe there's playa naked in my future too.

Return to “Philosophical Center”