Partying during Early Arrival?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Partying during Early Arrival?

Postby sparr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:34 pm

Preface: I actually can't find the document on which my expectations here were based. I've looked at my pass, the website, and the survival guide. I know I saw it written down, but since I can't find it I can't quote it. I hope I'm not too far off base in my recollection.

One of the few things that surprised me about Burning Man, this being my first year, was the amount of partying going on on early arrival Friday and Saturday nights. In my immediate sphere, I was confused to see my campmates wander off after dusk to hit bar camps, dance, etc. I had expected that time to be rather productive and not-too-hot, and having everyone wander off interfered with hopes/plans I had regarding our camp setup. I don't specifically blame them, since this phenomenon seemed somewhat universal and expected by any non-virgins. On a larger note, they wouldn't have done that, or been able to, if those bar and music camps weren't operating then.

I am pretty sure that when I was making my plans for those days, weeks before the burn, I read on some of the early arrival documentation, in no uncertain terms and not so few words, that those passes and that time were to be used for working, not playing.

Am I misremembering something? Or is this just another way in which practice doesn't match documentation, and people are expected to figure it out once they arrive?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Partying during Early Arrival?

Postby gaminwench » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:43 pm

The BLM made it clear this year that EA was for workers, and that they would be 'keeping an eye out'.

The Org sent out a missive to EA folks, reminding us to not party it up before gates opened and to keep the music down after 10 so that worker bees could get some much-needed sleep.

It was very quiet during EA this year, as compared to years past.

I personally don't see anything wrong with going out for a cocktail, after busting ass for 10/12 hours building the fabulous.
There are many 'YAY, we did it!!' gatherings that occur yearly, pre-opening.
if you're on it, and get your stuff done, why not celebrate??

I think you'll find that having expectations will inevitably lead to disappointment.
Last edited by gaminwench on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Have no expectations and you will not be disenchanted.

If one has an expectation, then the opposite will most likely to be the norm.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:58 pm

Between working very hard and sleeping during EA my buddy Omega and I would shout at people walking by who looked to be happy, in costume, drinking, twinkling, whatever.
"Hey, you're not supposed to be having fun until gate opens, get back to work!"

Just like we went out to the Temple burn pile super late Sunday night and shouted at people.
"Hey, don't you people have a camp to take down? Shouldn't you be resting up for the tear-down tomorrow? How can you be hoping to score this late in the game?"

I actually want to transform this into a performance art piece next year that receives some grant money and EA. We all do our part.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Nipple » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:18 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:"Hey, you're not supposed to be having fun until gate opens, get back to work!"

Me too!

"NO FUN UNTIL MONDAY. 10AM! BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT PERMIT STIPULATION. YOU WILL BE FINED."

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:27 pm

If you get shit-faced during the hottest part of the day and then work all night, does that help?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:03 pm

sparr wrote:Preface: I actually can't find the document on which my expectations here were based. I've looked at my pass, the website, and the survival guide. I know I saw it written down, but since I can't find it I can't quote it. I hope I'm not too far off base in my recollection.

One of the few things that surprised me about Burning Man, this being my first year, was the amount of partying going on on early arrival Friday and Saturday nights. In my immediate sphere, I was confused to see my campmates wander off after dusk to hit bar camps, dance, etc. I had expected that time to be rather productive and not-too-hot, and having everyone wander off interfered with hopes/plans I had regarding our camp setup. I don't specifically blame them, since this phenomenon seemed somewhat universal and expected by any non-virgins. On a larger note, they wouldn't have done that, or been able to, if those bar and music camps weren't operating then.

I am pretty sure that when I was making my plans for those days, weeks before the burn, I read on some of the early arrival documentation, in no uncertain terms and not so few words, that those passes and that time were to be used for working, not playing.

Am I misremembering something? Or is this just another way in which practice doesn't match documentation, and people are expected to figure it out once they arrive?

Maybe you should have given the EA passes to people who shared YOUR vision of camp and were willing to work toward it. Instead, you got the usual ADHD sort that is easily distracted. And there is plenty going on to be distracted by, despite whatever Burning Man wants to say about cracking down. Hard core rules are broken all the time by all parties. So what? That's what keeps it interesting. As my Dad used to say "It ain't no ride at Disneyland."
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm sure the EA system gets abused sometimes, but when I've had EA everyone in my art support camp worked 18+ hour days getting the project built. A few people wandering off to party is worth the ability to do that before the event starts, rather than after.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:47 pm

sparr wrote:Preface: I actually can't find the document on which my expectations here were based. I've looked at my pass, the website, and the survival guide. I know I saw it written down, but since I can't find it I can't quote it. I hope I'm not too far off base in my recollection.

It was quiet as hell where I was on Friday and Saturday pre-Gates. Seriously, it looked like the surface of the moon, and I don't even camp in the boonies.

That said, one can only work so much in a day. After 8 or 10 hours of work it's necessary to knock off work and it's not at all weird to go visit friends or put on your faux fur & walk out to some roped-off Thing and gaze at it for a few minutes. That's hardly a Bacchanal. (There can be the illusion of the sound camps being in full swing, but the truth is they only have their music on, and barely anyone is home.)

If it was actually party central in your camp before Gates opened, that would be good to discuss internally with your campmates, as any appearance of coming in early only to party could endanger your placement.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Other than few art cars being obnoxiously loud it was quiet by us too.

But this is nothing less than the kind of post I expect from someone who trolled endlessly about the Zorb.

And if I'm wrong - fuck it I don't have anyone to answer to here.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Wow.
I bet you were that kid who tattled on everyone who broke a rule and told who spiked the punch...
Would you care to give a list of names of all the bad people who had any fun before the bell rang?
You probably never got invited to parties and still don't know why.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:42 pm

I'm sorry I cracked a beer while doing the most favorite thing I do..... Set up camp for myself, friends and other participants to enjoy. Rules are guidelines for wise men and for obedience by fools.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Postby CyanEssence » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:22 pm

The BLM Special Recreation Permit Stipulations may have been where you saw this. Scroll down to number 7. http://z9hbb3mwou383x1930ve0ugl.wpengin ... ations.pdf

I believe that this was in response to the "Safety, Health and Security Issues of 2014 Burning Man Event" report. See number 8: Early Arrival Program
http://www.scribd.com/doc/270954881/BRC ... h-Security

In talking to some fellow builders about this issue during the last bit of prep and pack-up before they headed off to the playa for EA, I heard some interesting opinions. One popular one was that most of us work in a different way than those out there being paid to maintain security and safety at the event. Nearly all of us are volunteers, and we see our work as a way to socialize, and simultaneously build community and art. To outsiders it may appear as though we are just partying, but the reality is that work is being done, just in a different way.

I talked to some people about this at the event too. I asked one person if they thought the permit would be denied next year if the authorities thought too much tomfoolery was happening during EA and post-event. He thought that the BLM was not likely to do that, because so much money is made off of their otherwise "unusable" land (eg. it's not exactly Yosemite, tourist-wise). I would hate to see this attitude spread to LNT...

I also agree with the comment about knocking off and kicking back after a long day. I would add that not everyone works on the same schedule, and so it may seem like people are partying at all hours, when in reality, they are just finishing their own schedule.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your team hasn't struck the balance yet, and didn't get what you wanted done. There is a great post on here somewhere about how to manage your volunteers, even talking about how to keep solid people over the years, but I can't recall the name of the thread.

sparr

Postby sparr » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:37 pm

Jackass wrote:If you get shit-faced during the hottest part of the day and then work all night, does that help?
That would at least be more in line with what I expected. I had no idea why people were working through the hottest part of the day until later when I realized they already planned to not-work during the more comfortable hours.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

sparr

Postby sparr » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:04 am

Drawingablank wrote:But this is nothing less than the kind of post I expect from someone who trolled endlessly about the Zorb.
Changed my signature, just for you guys. Maybe I can save you some time.

sparr

Postby sparr » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:06 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:Rules are guidelines for wise men and for obedience by fools.
This doesn't have to be about obeying/following a rule. It could just be about accurately educating new burners about how things really work, rather than sending them misinformation ahead of their first trip to the playa.

gaminwench

Postby gaminwench » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:14 am

Our fine city has an official Bureau of Misinformation.

If one is looking for cold, hard rules/facts/info that will apply to everyone in the city in a blanket-type fashion,
one will be disappointed.

There's rules, then there's rules.

Some believe rules are made to be broken.
Some believe that rules do not apply to them.
Some see rules as guidelines.
Some like to follow rules.
Some ignore rules as a ritual practice.

and

We have no ruler.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:24 am

sparr wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:Rules are guidelines for wise men and for obedience by fools.
This doesn't have to be about obeying/following a rule. It could just be about accurately educating new burners about how things really work, rather than sending them misinformation ahead of their first trip to the playa.

bitch please. the survival GUIDE is more accurate than most corporate earnings reports.

your trolling is meh, at best.

perhaps you should take a course.
Frida Be You & Me

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:38 am

How was the condition of the portos in your sector?
Did you have any annoying neighbors this year?
All in all did you have a good time?
How was camp life?

You don't have to know how everything works, nobody knows how everything works out there anyways. Just get your shit together, get your ass out there and enjoy, that's all you had to do...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:00 pm

We can all blame Defaultia for creating this culture of sloth at Burning Man. I mean hell, what kind of degenerate society designates half-retired people as "full-time" workers? They're only working 8-hours a day! That leaves them 8-hours of leisure time, and 8-hours for sleep -- and that doesn't even include weekends off! This is also assuming we're talking about the Burners who actually work "full-time," which is only like 3% of the population!

So really, what the fuck? Think of how many Playa Pyramids we could build if we had the (slave) drive and work ethic of our ancestors! We could help widen the road leading to the event with all that labor (so that we can save the planet by not flying to Burning Man)! Or build a fucking railroad for some indignant burner's pipe-dream Playa project.

Don't you hippie fucks have something to do? Why were you issued six (6) EA passes, when your camp could've been set up with only three (3) people? Why aren't you working at night like road construction crews in Arizona?

And who is this asshole over here with nothing better to do than complain about the other EA-pass holders? Get to work!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:49 pm

BBadger,

You almost slipped-up and told him about the VIP subway -- The semi- secret subway for those in the know; that has an entrance in the tool shed behind Bruno's in Gerlach and another entrance in the city inside the faux Celtic Castle (that serves Mexican beer) located at the corner of Esplanade and 2:00.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Funny thing about that subway, you start drinking the beer and then you find yourself in that tool shed with no memory of getting on the train.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:45 pm

Or where your pants are.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby kittyrodriguez » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:49 pm

Don't forget that some of those people had been on playa for a week or more. Black Rock City starts coming together a long time before you ever show up. And those people work their asses off. They deserve to relax at the end of a long day of work. Do you work 24/7 at your paid job? You cannot expect volunteers to work 24/7 and not take time to relax.

Why are so many burners so concerned with what everyone else is doing and how everyone else is burning? As long as it does not effect the permitting or future of the event, back off! If someone wants spend their EA nights shirtcocking in blackface while wearing a headdress and shouting scripture through a megaphone on a segway, let them do it for fucks sake!

You burn your way, and I'll burn mine.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:13 pm

EA parties and the infamous Party in the D Lot were actually called out by the BLM in their famous memo which was a counterattack for ChacoTacoGate. It's up to the BMORG to educate the BLM about a day or two of rest and relaxation for people like DPW, art and camp builders, and by the way builders of the BLM, LEO and fire camps.

I'm curious was the D Lot Party toned down? Or was the ticket shortage severe enough that there weren't many people without tickets hanging out there this year?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:40 pm

I got there at 10am sunday, and it looked pretty packed.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

sparr

Postby sparr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:14 pm

I am in no way surprised that this thread has devolved into people arguing with something I didn't say/ask.

At no point in this thread did I make any suggestion that the people in question are doing anything wrong. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I am simply trying to ascertain how out of touch the documentation is with common practice. Again.

gaminwench

Postby gaminwench » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:39 pm

Well, Sparr, I think (if you're asking) the folks in charge of the rhetoric that gets disseminated are pretty out of touch regarding the way most of us experience the event.

And, quite frankly, I've come to the conclusion over the last couple of years that they really don't care.

We want to make a crazy, cacophanous, creative, exploding, decommodified city in a barren desert.

They want to lead the world to a new cultural paradigm and hobnob with the rich and famous.
(start out as an unemployed gardener with bad teeth and wind up cozying up to the beautiful people, just cuz you throw a good party ...)
It's a spin game, now.

We're here to try keeping it real; not to nitpick textual issues with a BORG that has moved out of our sphere.
It isn't the least bit surprising that the words don't match up with the reality, considering.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:41 am

sparr wrote:I am simply trying to ascertain how out of touch the documentation is with common practice. Again.

Easy opinion: "very"

But since you want an ANSWER, then you will need to digest, dissect, compare, contrast and investigate all BMORG documents and place them in several social and equitable juxtapositions and allow viewing only through the lens of your harsh, inconvenient, on-the-ground realities as exposed by your ONE burn.

This project will require a spreadsheet, cross-referenced to a video of your own personal experiences. And its due December 1st, 2015.

Better get crackin', Child...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:32 pm

I had early arrival this year. Our camp frontage was on the Esplanade and I could see the Man pavilion from our front porch. I honestly never even looked out to see the Man for the entire first day. It was all work and assembly. I had to laugh since seeing the open playa only required me to turn my head and look. Yes, the early arrival was all work and no play.

Return to “Philosophical Center”