Burners who don't go to Burning Man?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Popeye
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Burners who don't go to Burning Man?

Postby Popeye » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:22 pm

Little Billy's brain and mind is wired female (and there is some evidence for this). Gender vs sex. The guy who believes himself to be a vet is deluded (with no evidence of his interior reality) or is trying to con you.
A burner is someone who has been to the burn and continues to try to go and suports TTID. Or is someone who has gone and lives their life as most burners think a burner would. You can't be a burner without going.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:15 am

Kaos Salmon wrote:If little Billy believes that he's a girl despite his genitalia and genetics, a lot of people in our community would respect it and consider Billy to be a girl. I would.

There is so much wrong in these two sentences that I'm struggling to respond politely. Let me just suggest you do some research on gender dysphoria, and understand that it's not about "considering" "Billy" to be a girl, it's about understanding that "Betty" is a female regardless of the genitals she was born with or has. It's also a huge struggle both internally and with society, that ends too often in suicide or murder., This is vastly different over what people who go to a fucking party in the desert call themselves.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:55 am

and this is why i prefer that the "Man" has multiple personality disorder.

don't try to label us.

just don't.
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:38 am

I've never rung the bell or made dust angels, so I guess I'm not a burner.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Raoul
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Raoul » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:40 am

Wait! People who have never actually been to Burning Man comporting themselves as and claiming to be Burners? Cultural appropriation? Anyone? Anyone?
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:43 am

Only when appropriate!!!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Akela
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Kamp Suckie Fuckaye

Postby Akela » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:52 am

Eric wrote:
Kaos Salmon wrote:If little Billy believes that he's a girl despite his genitalia and genetics, a lot of people in our community would respect it and consider Billy to be a girl. I would.

There is so much wrong in these two sentences that I'm struggling to respond politely. Let me just suggest you do some research on gender dysphoria, and understand that it's not about "considering" "Billy" to be a girl, it's about understanding that "Betty" is a female regardless of the genitals she was born with or has. It's also a huge struggle both internally and with society, that ends too often in suicide or murder., This is vastly different over what people who go to a fucking party in the desert call themselves.

Thanks for weighing in Eric. It was a poor analogy that I neither thought through nor articulated well, and I feel dumb for bringing it up and continuing to push it.

I'm going to go be embarrassed in the corner now.

And FIGJAM, the bells and angels were not to be taken literally--our EA caravan got rushed through greeters this year and some of our virgins didn't get to do those traditions, but that doesn't mean they're not burners now in my eyes. I just meant that one must go to TTITD for it to count.

misfit
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby misfit » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:55 am

does any of this really matter? call yourself whatever you want... :shock:
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:34 am

I was a cockteaser at roosterama.

I used to enrage the bantams before the big bouts!!! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:02 pm

Oh goodness Figjam. Not touching that one...nope :D
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:43 pm

I knowwwwwwwwwww!!!

I haven't been able to get anybody to touch it in YEARS!!!!!!!! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Postby sparr » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:12 am

misfit wrote:does any of this really matter? call yourself whatever you want
It matters in the sense of "I'd like to know what other people mean when they use the word". I know there isn't just one true answer, but this thread gives me useful information on that front. I have a better idea of what the word might mean to people in Texas or San Francisco based on this and related discussions.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Postby forty_eight » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:42 am

lol @ useful information

wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Postby wraith » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:25 pm

sparr wrote:
misfit wrote:does any of this really matter? call yourself whatever you want
It matters in the sense of "I'd like to know what other people mean when they use the word". I know there isn't just one true answer, but this thread gives me useful information on that front. I have a better idea of what the word might mean to people in Texas or San Francisco based on this and related discussions.

You have a better idea what a few of us assholes on the Internet think people in Tejas or San Fran think about it.

You wanna know what the majority think, go ask 'em. I figure it's easy enough, you know when they'll be in an easy to find spot. :mrgreen:

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:26 pm

I don't care what people call themselves, but if I ask the question at Burning Man, "How many burns have you been to?" (although that's the most boring question possible at Burning Man), I expect the person I asked to count the times they've been to BRC. Not the regionals. Regionals aren't the same thing, as anyone who has been to both BRC and a regional can attest. The sheer scale and setting of BRC are pretty singular and account for a HUGE part of the overall experience.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Postby Bless » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:47 pm

I think we're talking about two separate uses of the same term. For the sake of clarification, we can use "burner" with a lower case "b" and "Burner" with an upper case "B."

There are those who have attended that thing in the desert, who we can refer to as "Burners."

And there are those who subscribe to the 10 Principles and may have attended a regional or two over the years, but are still waiting and planning and saving up for the big trek to the desert. We can refer to those people as "burners."

The latter class of burners typically resides on the East Coast or other places in the world less accessible to Nevada.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby The CO » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:10 am

If I ask someone how many times they have been to the Louvre, "I've seen the Mona Lisa" is not an answer.

If I ask someone how many times they have been to Lollapalooza, "I've seen Janes Addiction" is not an answer.

If I ask someone how how many burns they have been to, "I've been to flipside/bequinox/moonrocks" is not an answer.

Burner is just a word. I personally don't like the "I've been to 9 burns; 8 regionals and 1 Nevada regional". I thought the Nevada regional was MoonRocks.

It's like people that say New Jersey is just like New York.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:55 pm

The CO wrote:It's like people that say New Jersey is just like New York.

Wait, it's not??
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Postby The CO » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
The CO wrote:It's like people that say New Jersey is just like New York.

Wait, it's not??

Well, the smell alone...
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:44 pm

Speaking personally, I'm with Vargaso. If I'm at Burning Man or talking specifically about Burning Man and the question of how many burns one has been to comes up, the short answer is the number of times that the person has been to Burning Man. If someone answered with "once, but I've been to flipside (or insert other regional shindig name) twice" that seems like a normal/legit answer, but if they answered with "three, but this is my first time to BRC" then they haven't really answered the question properly in my opinion. The latter seems either like sandbagging, or that maybe the person inflating the number has some kind of issue going on that makes them think there's something wrong with being new or having a low number. It's kind of like people talking about marathons, and when the question of how many times one has done it somebody replies with a number that includes all the 5K's, short fun runs, and other smaller races.

That's not to say that regionals aren't as good, they're different. And as the first post (and a number of replies) have touched on, getting to Burning Man is often times a more difficult and involved process (it's longer, it's further away for many, it's more expensive, etc). It's the marathon, whereas the other events (regionals and other campouts) are the 5K's and what have you.

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:40 am

If I was asking someone how many "burns" they've been to I would be referring to the burning man event.
If I was referring to someone as a "burner" it would mean that they embrace the burning man culture. We had someone in our camp that actually helped organize Midburn, but had never been to BRC before this year. I'd consider her more of a burner than the guy that drops off a RV at a pnp camp then heads to the airport to fly back home.

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Postby sparr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:00 pm

forty_eight wrote:lol @ useful information
I know, right? My kingdom for a moderated version of this forum.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Now we seem to have drifted to "Non-Burners who do go to Burning Man, but shouldn't"
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:47 pm

We'll call them "profligate burners". Or maybe just "profligates" to not further taint "burner."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Postby graidawg » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:13 pm

sparr wrote:

you should see this place before moderation. makes you look like a rank amateur. no offence
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Thu May 12, 2016 7:06 pm

graidawg wrote:
sparr wrote:

you should see this place before moderation. makes you look like a rank amateur. no offence

As a mod who worked in the wild days when I wasn't allowed to delete posts except for spambot stuff, and had to talk down the flame wars, this place is Miss Manners gracious living now. The old "stand by your words" was one hell of a drug for some. You truly don't know the magnitudes of improvement eplaya has been through.

Back on topic: To me, burners go to the big burn, but I can see how some people are burneresque to be included in the term loosely. However, nothing replaces that boots in the dust aura for me.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Sham

Postby Sham » Thu May 12, 2016 7:41 pm

I feel I've had the burner spirit since I was a kid. My artcar is 33 years old and built back before I knew what mutant vehicles were. Before getting myself to the playa 15 or so years back, I truly didn't know what burners were. I finally found the unique souls that I could relate to and that understand my quirkiness. I don't know what my life would be like had I not met my extended family in the desert.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 pm

AntiM wrote:
graidawg wrote:
sparr wrote:I know, right? My kingdom for a moderated version of this forum.

As a mod who worked in the wild days when I wasn't allowed to delete posts except for spambot stuff, and had to talk down the flame wars, this place is Miss Manners gracious living now. The old "stand by your words" was one hell of a drug for some. You truly don't know the magnitudes of improvement eplaya has been through.

Back on topic: To me, burners go to the big burn, but I can see how some people are burneresque to be included in the term loosely. However, nothing replaces that boots in the dust aura for me.

I do miss some of the old snark though. Sometimes, to really get a flavor, I'll go back to the Bar, and Bar2, especially when both were going concurrently.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Thu May 12, 2016 9:18 pm

Yeah, remember when someone would make "popcorn" and "sits down to watch sparks fly?" Those were the days when eplaya was buck-wild, nobody makes "popcorn" anymore to watch a snark-off unfold... Plus, more shit was said that required "screenwipes please", than you could shake a stick at. People don't blow coffee or soda out of their noses at work anymore. :(
When there was the original page two rule and it's humble beginnings. Kids aren't even being taught about page two in schools anymore.

Getting a little nostalgic here...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu May 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Jackass wrote:Yeah, remember when someone would make "popcorn" and "sits down to watch sparks fly?" Those were the days when eplaya was buck-wild, nobody makes "popcorn" anymore to watch a snark-off unfold... Plus, more shit was said that required "screenwipes please", than you could shake a stick at. People don't blow coffee or soda out of their noses at work anymore. :(
When there was the original page two rule and it's humble beginnings. Kids aren't even being taught about page two in schools anymore.

Getting a little nostalgic here...

*scoots over,put arm around Jackass*, yeah, sigh............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Philosophical Center”