20 years, still worth going?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
AmazonTanker
Burning Since: 1995

20 years, still worth going?

Post by AmazonTanker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:43 pm

I apologize in advance is I'm dumping this in the wrong spot :? I attended in 1995 and even with the rain I had the single best time of my life. I'm hoping to get a ticket in pre-sales and have the funds but the price jump is bananas! I paid $40 last time, I understand the masses have joined and attendance has multiplied as has economic inflation. My question for all you old time burners is... Is it still financially and emotionally worth it?
Every part of me is yearning to attend again, I would be driving solo from TX and that is okay but I'm a lot more comfortable with the buddy system. Yes I know, I sound like a pussy. I have all the supplies I need to attend and have lived a off grid life for the past 20 years others than a cell phone for work. It seems it has grown and had more to offer in a enlightening way. So give me your snarky comments and advise.
"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously"
Hunter S. Thompson

"It is always by way of pain one arrives at pleasure" Marquis de Sade

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: 20 years, still worth going?

Post by lucky420 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Burning Man sucks, don't go
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

AmazonTanker

Post by AmazonTanker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:12 pm

I'll just go blow my ticket money on shots and strippers instead, thanks.
"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously"
Hunter S. Thompson

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:52 pm

It's changed and so have we. As a 20 year lapsed cult member, you might be just as valuable to a camp as a virgin with wide open eyes, but less a burden than a virgin, because you know the drill and have more camp skills. And even in vast Texas, there are probably burners nearby you could meet in person now to find a camp, carpool or just shoot the shit.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:55 am

The answer is maybe.

All depends on who and what you were 20 years ago.

If you were part of The Zone Trip crowd, no, stay away.

If you were an accidental tourist, yes, go, it is worth it even at the crazy inflation prices.

It all depends on your beginning, as Vizini said.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:03 am

Go. Totally worth the ticket price, even at $400. Even at $600
Praise the Lowered

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:21 am

Go, for the laughs. Its a pussy fest now
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

AmazonTanker

Post by AmazonTanker » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:37 am

Then all I'm waiting for is pre-sale.

Thanks.
Hunter S. Thompson

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:25 am

Hummmm. Presale will probably be $880 plus mailing, plus ticketfly fee, plus vehicle pass. Should be right around a grand. Not a bad price if you don't spend a cent on anything else. Hell yes! It sure beats a Carnival Cruise to Catalina and Cabo.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:32 am

i started in 1996.

2003 was the only year i didn't make it 2880 miles across country to get there.

it's really become a dysfunctional family re-union for me, and i wouldn't miss it for the world.

"worth" is a relative term, that capitalists put on objects and experience.

some things are priceless and cannot be bought.

you decide.
Frida Be You & Me

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Well you sure put the "fun" in dysfunctional Simon!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:26 pm

Simon knows
Capt has him covered also

I'm an original
didn't know then still don't
and every time I tell the fam I'm done they laugh

xoA.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:43 pm

Yep, you dumped it in the wrong spot. No worries, I'm nudging this over to the Philosophical Center, since I think that's a better fit.

To answer the question, yeah... just like food and rent and other costs, the cost of Burning Man is significantly higher than it was 20 years ago.

Is it the same? Fuck no. No two years are really the same, and from my experience (participating since 2004), what you get out of it seems to be somehow related to what you put in. There's an "expectations" multiplier in there too, but who knows how that all works. The event is much bigger. More than 20x bigger - you probably have never been to a city that's experienced that kind of growth. If you do choose to participate, you'll probably experience just as big a shock when you arrive on playa as many first timers. Well, maybe not... the event is still pretty much about the same things.

My gf has been participating since 1996, and we both agree that one of the biggest standouts (aside from the 'so many more people' obvious one) is the massive increase in the art. Take that with a grain of salt, since there was probably more awesome art than you could see in the course of the event. There's still more than you'll ever get to. To me, though, that's a massive part of the appeal. The art has increased in both quality and quantity, and every year I go there is stuff that's simply so amazing and inspiring it brings me to tears.

The parties have gotten bigger and more elaborate and more plentiful. Some may say too big or elaborate, but for every camp or mutant vehicle staging something of epic proportions, there are hundreds (if not thousands) that create a more intimate environment.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:17 pm

You seem to be itching to go, so go. You'll be blown away by how huge it's gotten. It's still unbelievably fun once you accept it's no longer a fringe event. And as Trilo says, the creativity on display is still mind-blowing.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:47 am

vargaso wrote:You seem to be itching to go, so go. You'll be blown away by how huge it's gotten. It's still unbelievably fun once you accept it's no longer a fringe event. And as Trilo says, the creativity on display is still mind-blowing.
This is my take on it. It's different and bigger than it was when I started in 2000, but there's tons more art, and cleaner portapotties (thank you, RobbiDobbs!!)

I love it, and--for me--it's totally worth it. I can't speak for anyone else, and I don't want to persuade anyone who's pulling away, as tickets are a challenge, and I want everyone who succeeds in getting one to be stone-cold-stoked to have at least made the attempt to enjoy themselves. :)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:07 pm

Hell Yes!

This ain't your (20-year-old) mother's Burning Man.

The 21st century Burning Man is so good and so big that tickets sell out within the first ten two-minutes of going on sale. To deal with the shock, remember to carry huge expectations -- like 10x -- to match the change in ticket prices. In fact, ponying up 15x the 1996 price for pre-sale tickets, just to ensure you receive your 10x experience, is perfectly reasonable considering how much inflation has whittled away your American Dollar. You're practically making money at that point.
DSC01205_crop_leveled_smaller.jpg
Figure 1: "A position in line does not guarantee you a ticket."

Think about the equity a ticket will grant you compared to the "homeless" rabble. People literally spend months in advance not preparing (because that's a fool's gamble), but instead whining and begging to have the mere opportunity to purchase a ticket at (or God forbid, above) face value. Some of those inexperienced rubes don't even take the effort to make up some funny post, sexy photos, or tragic sob story to draw the eye of ticket angels located in the cesspool that is the ePlaya ticket forums. With your ticket in hand, smile as trolls and the ticket-less proletariat accuse ticket-holder bourgeoisie of fixing the game in their favor. You've made it. You've WON.

Al Gore's Internet has also made Burning Man so much more than it ever was. Nobody in 1996 would've even dreamed that their Netscape Navigator could display the vivid colors that adorn the decorated bikes of today's burners -- let alone videos of them. This ain't no dial-up Burning Man. Peoples' entire journeys are now documented in high-resolution just to prove that they had an awesome time on the Playa. Others revel in the ability to whip future burgins into berserker frenzies over their forthcoming blown-minds (if they get a ticket) in a much-hyped extravaganza of video editing. Crank up the Youtube volume to 11 and watch Burning Man videos set to the latest EDM music, or even some Dr. Seuss rhymes such as:

[media]

Figure 2: The Dr. Seuss rhyme that launched a thousand land-ships.

Even the BMOrg gives the poor ticket-less folk a masturbatory bone to gnaw on a streaming webcam of the event. Now you can get your fix of ship-shaped mutant vehicles from the comfort of your own home, as if you were lounging in some plug and play camp.

But you? No, you'll have a ticket. You've saved up for 20-years to buy this ticket, something these damned hippies could never pull off! You want -- need -- to be part of this cultural bowel movement, if for no other reason than to validate those 20-years of effort leading to this moment.

It's homecoming baby!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:43 am

BBadger, lets make babies.

because i think i love you.
Frida Be You & Me

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:30 am

Bbadger you really know how to start a day. Thank you times 10. I was one of those worthless beggars myself last year. I got a ticket, (thank you eplaya friends). My plan for this year is to sell chicken feet sandwiches and raise enough money for a $1,000 ticket. That's what it will cost with all the fees plus this and thats. Those will probably sell out in minutes also. Game on mudsuckers!
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:06 pm

You're Doing It Right (tm). The Man rewards those who reward themselves!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

shroom

Post by shroom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 am

I went in 2010 and really want to go again. I've gotten involved in local burns so that's helping the need.

But no matter how many times people say it was better last year, I still wanna go.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Return to “Philosophical Center”