The 10 Symbols of Burning Man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: The 10 Symbols of Burning Man

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:49 pm

Fun game:
At the M&G we should have a test to see if anyone can guess what any of them mean.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:26 pm

tamarakay wrote:I do agree with the statements regarding symbols and intent. Most symbols gain meaning through use. When the stop sign was firsts put out no one associated that shape with stop, but through use we now all do. I think we can all have opinions and discourse without rancor. I know I know, it's eplaya lol, but let's give it a whirl. All the political mudslinging and hate being spewed out in the world has me worn down. I'm looking to build people up and could use a boost myself. It's been a rough couple months.

I think few people have a problem with the aesthetics of those shapes. As art, the shapes are nicely designed and presented.

Shapes, however, need to be assigned meaning before they become symbols, otherwise they remain just shapes. To use the stop-sign example: a red octagonal sign only took on the meaning of "stop" after it was designated a stop-sign. Even then, it often has words making the meaning unambiguous.

The issue is less about art, and more about meaning. If a shape is claimed to be a symbol, the reason must be made obvious, or explained. So far, the artist has done neither. We're told that these are symbols, but not why. We don't even know if these are supposed to be matched with the "10 principles" or something else. Instead, they're just shapes in the presence of an unfounded claim.

The lack or ambiguity of meaning is why I don't consider those shapes as "symbols." I think the artist has claimed these shapes as something they're not -- and should be called on that.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:33 pm

http://www.kiwiburn.com/about/guiding-principles/ These are the 'symbols of Kiwi burn in regards to the principles. I searched for approximately 2 minutes and found endless examples. (Just in case anyone needs more.)
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:55 am

i agree with badger, its silly, and they mean nothing.

i see a obvious knock off of the movie "divergent" and its symbols.

whatevs, do what you wanna do, give away what you wanna give away, there will always be assholes like me to criticize and tell you "thanks, but no thanks"

do it anyway, but no butt-hurt if we don't play along.

thats the "art world" for ya, its subjective.

my feeling is these "symbols" have no staying power because they are basically arbitrary.

pretty, but totally random.
Frida Be You & Me

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:39 am

After seeing the kiwi symbols, I would have to agree. They are arguably less artistic but definitely easier to interpret and associate with the principle they are representing.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:14 pm

BBadger wrote:
tamarakay wrote:I do agree with the statements regarding symbols and intent. Most symbols gain meaning through use. When the stop sign was firsts put out no one associated that shape with stop, but through use we now all do. I think we can all have opinions and discourse without rancor. I know I know, it's eplaya lol, but let's give it a whirl. All the political mudslinging and hate being spewed out in the world has me worn down. I'm looking to build people up and could use a boost myself. It's been a rough couple months.

I think few people have a problem with the aesthetics of those shapes. As art, the shapes are nicely designed and presented.

Shapes, however, need to be assigned meaning before they become symbols, otherwise they remain just shapes. To use the stop-sign example: a red octagonal sign only took on the meaning of "stop" after it was designated a stop-sign. Even then, it often has words making the meaning unambiguous.

The issue is less about art, and more about meaning. If a shape is claimed to be a symbol, the reason must be made obvious, or explained. So far, the artist has done neither. We're told that these are symbols, but not why. We don't even know if these are supposed to be matched with the "10 principles" or something else. Instead, they're just shapes in the presence of an unfounded claim.

The lack or ambiguity of meaning is why I don't consider those shapes as "symbols." I think the artist has claimed these shapes as something they're not -- and should be called on that.

I reall can't do anything but agree. It would take some work to turn them into an kind of meaningful symbol, and I think providing these as a base is a nice start. I am interested in seeing what, if anything, people do with them. I am mulling a few possibilities myself.

Isn't this a nice conversation? So much better than flame wars and hate speech.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:46 pm

Well lookee here....
I was swapping schwag with on of my fellow worker bees during a Man Watch shift.
"That looks like the gate sticker" I said.
"It's an original" he replied.
It seems that he had "won" the sticker contest (There were actually two, distributed randomly, from what I could tell).
I came back to this thread to help figure out what the symbols meant. The printing on the gate sticker is a little too small to read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Philosophical Center”