Population Cap and Exodus 2017

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Population Cap and Exodus 2017

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:02 am

The population cap can only be lifted with the consent of the BLM with the Nevada state highway patrol. The BLM is looking at MOOP and emergency capacity and the SHP is look at traffic safety on 447 between the playa and I80.

Exodus in limited to 1000 vehicles per hour. If every vehicle was metered out at that rate, exodus would take wild ass guess about 33 hours.

Here is a good spot to speculate on population increases, exodus and other limiting factors to ticket growth.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Population Cap and Exodus 2017

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:06 am

Mod note: moved to Philosophical Center, where speculative threads about the event belong.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" exiled to 3:17 & G

Postby Molotov » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:12 am

Exodus in limited to 1000 vehicles per hour. If every vehicle was metered out at that rate, exodus would take wild ass guess about 33 hours.

Can you imagine the shit show if all 70,000 participants were forced to decamp at the same time by some official declaration and herded into infinite lines with up to a 33 hour wait to exit the playa?

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:58 am

They would not all have to wait 33 hrs. The first person would drive straight out.

It is the last person (who turns out the lights) that would have to wait 33 hrs.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:17 am

I'm sure there is an emergency relatively rapid evacuation plan which would have to be adjusted with the population cap. That's why we pay the big bucks to Larry, BLM and LEO - to deal with that.

I'm very impressed with Mr Meathunter's 3000-5000 new airport shuttle idea! I'm surprised there are that many medium size turboprops that are available for charter for such a short time period.

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:36 am

Some Seeing Eye,

Not my idea. Yup. I am in the airport food chain, but I way down.

It is my understanding that they will be using three 30 passenger Dash 8's. How the schedule will work I do not know.

With 30 burners and their gear, this ain't goona be First Class with Champagne cocktails. I would really hate to be on a return flight. This is basic "Air Bus" service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Dash_8

My guess (and only my very uninformed guess) is that one will be flying "continuous" round trips from SFO, RNO & LAX.

We all will know more when more is published on the Burner Air Express web page.

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:51 am

What were the airport hours of commercial operation last year? Were hours closed to wind or visibility?

With the improved shuttle, the flight crew shouldn't need to check the passengers through the gate which would save time. But there would need to be dustmac (no tarmac) herders, and maybe a separate gate.

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:00 am

Airport operational hours: 6:00 am to 7:00 pm.

In past years, most all of the 6-12 passenger charters have been turbine.

The airport only closed one time in 2015 and then only for an hour or two. Operational areas were occasionally watered & rolled, but still dusty-dusty playa.

Chomp. Digest. And, Spit It Out The Rear........ Just like the C-130's operating off the unimproved desert strips in Iraq and Afghanistan.

This is becoming above my pay grade. I do not fly turbines.

All those arriving via the airport have to go through Ticketing where their ticket is checked, pay and additional $40 entry fee and then through the Pass Port Office to get their arm band.

Pilots must stay with all passengers until they are cleared into the event. If for some reason they cannot enter, the pilot flies them back.

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:59 pm

You said my nightmare word...Dash-8. I was on one on Feb. 5, 1995, 8:15 AM with 26 others. We are all classified as "aircraft crash survivors" now. 38 seconds from major engines failure to the surface. No fatalities. Still fucks me up just remembering it. Dash-8, nope, not me. Nah, I'll pass. Ummm, no.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" exiled to 3:17 & G

Postby Molotov » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:27 pm

It's been done at Bonneville-with BLM approval (!)-maybe it would work on the playa. (unloading cargo, that is) Forgive the cheesy commercial content that follows...
[media]

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:They would not all have to wait 33 hrs. The first person would drive straight out.

It is the last person (who turns out the lights) that would have to wait 33 hrs.

That was your 666th post.

Scary man.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:48 pm

Meat Hunter wrote:Airport operational hours: 6:00 am to 7:00 pm.

In past years, most all of the 6-12 passenger charters have been turbine.

The airport only closed one time in 2015 and then only for an hour or two. Operational areas were occasionally watered & rolled, but still dusty-dusty playa.

Chomp. Digest. And, Spit It Out The Rear........ Just like the C-130's operating off the unimproved desert strips in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I would love to see a fleet of hippie'd up C-130s with flowers & peace signs painted all over them. Crack open the ramp & watch all the smoke roll out. (Cheech & Chong do Burning Man)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:58 pm

The population cap is fine right where it is, in my opinion.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:42 pm

FlyingMonkey,

Shoot Faaaaar. Why did you have to call the number of that post to my attention. You must really have it in for me.

You shore have ruined a good nights sleep for me. Now I will have to hang garlic at each window, put snake poison below each door and sit up all night with my shotgun looking up at the moon (if the rain ever stops and the clouds clear).

------------------------

I just noticed that someone changed all my post numbers on this page to 667. Thank you. Now I can go to bed.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:23 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:I would love to see a fleet of hippie'd up C-130s with flowers & peace signs painted all over them. Crack open the ramp & watch all the smoke roll out. (Cheech & Chong do Burning Man)

And of course, the completely unnecessary JATO takeoff.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:54 am

Jackass wrote:The population cap is fine right where it is, in my opinion.

I'm fine with the population level where it's at. What I don't like about the cap, or rather the fact that we reach it, is that it brings out the worst in people. Suddenly it's no longer about people just having an experience or bettering themselves, but instead whether a person is "worthy" enough to attend because of limited supplies. It also builds resentment against people who receive special treatment.

I'm hoping that interest will taper off to a reasonable and sustainable level.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

WileE13
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Jefferson High Life

Postby WileE13 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:03 am

I wish they'd open an Exodus route straight through the desert and out through the dirt roads for those of us who don't go through Gerlach. Takes us longer to get off the desert floor than it does to drive home on the hwy.

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:10 am

My friend Ratty gave me some sage wisdom. She told me to turn North at Gerlach, which for me worked out great since I live in Minnesota. I never even had to go into Gerlach and was immediately out of the traffic going 55.

O course it didn't help exodus and it was a bit longer around but time wise, it probably cut many many hours of slow driving all the way down to Fernley.

Wise woman that Ratty! Thanks R!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Postby 666isMONEY » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:09 pm

During the peak of exodus, is there a flag-person on the highway stopping traffic in both directions for vehicles to leave?

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:34 pm

666isMONEY wrote:During the peak of exodus, is there a flag-person on the highway stopping traffic in both directions for vehicles to leave?

In my experience they are there to stop participants from entering traffic when cross traffic is present and to allow not stopping when turning on to the paved road when cross traffic is not a danger.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:06 pm

Our overlords have big data on BM ticket buyers/arrivers North 447 and 447 South. North is likely under 20%. (Cali 50%, Reno air 15%) Secrets.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:32 pm

ZigZag wrote:My friend Ratty gave me some sage wisdom. She told me to turn North at Gerlach, which for me worked out great since I live in Minnesota. I never even had to go into Gerlach and was immediately out of the traffic going 55.

O course it didn't help exodus and it was a bit longer around but time wise, it probably cut many many hours of slow driving all the way down to Fernley.

Are you talking about the road heading to the Northwest and then cutting back east again through Oregon instead of through Nevada? That route is definitely a nice "see ya suckas!" as you speed off into a nearly empty highway.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Yes. He was headed towards Reno until I blindfolded him and spun him around like a pin the tail on the donkey game. Just in case you haven't had the pleasure, Zig-Zag is a true Burner at heart. A joy to be around. (And the silver monkey hut was spectacular!)
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:40 pm

BBadger wrote:Are you talking about the road heading to the Northwest and then cutting back east again through Oregon instead of through Nevada? That route is definitely a nice "see ya suckas!" as you speed off into a nearly empty highway.

That was it exactly. I went from traffic jam city to open highway by just turning right. Keep in mind I wasn't driving a big rig or dragging a trailer but the road was not bad at all.

Ratty wrote:Yes. She was headed towards Reno until I blindfolded her and spun her around like a pin the tail on the donkey game. Just in case you haven't had the pleasure, Zig-Zag is a true Burner at heart. A joy to be around. (And the silver monkey hut was spectacular!)

Ah shucks Ratty, 'ya make me blush. I loved seeing you and camping in your neighborhood! Your advice saved me more than once. Lets do it again next year!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

some seeing eye

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:58 pm

ZZ, don't give away our 447 to and eats in Cedarville secret! (Really it has just enough traffic so that if you get into difficulty someone should be by to or from the event. But it does have cows on the road - running into one can really spoil your day.)

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:15 pm

It's not really a secret, the south route is still more convenient when going to Reno or California, even with Exodus traffic. I never used the north route until I moved up to Portland. The biggest downside to the north route is the complete lack of NDN taco stands.

Return to “Philosophical Center”