!README! 2016 Drone Policy

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

!README! 2016 Drone Policy

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:59 am

http://burningman.org/event/black-rock- ... de/drones/

In response to the growing popularity of remote controlled aircraft, helicopters and multicopters (aka UAV or drones), Burning Man has formed a new team: Remote Control Black Rock City (RCBRC) under the Black Rock City Safety Team, and updated its guidelines for registering, and the terms and conditions for flying RC aircraft in Black Rock City.

Like mutant vehicles, BRC regulates all RC aircraft and requires that they be operated responsibly, and are subject to restricted fly zones and other rules of operation. The goal is to streamline the registration process, have all RC pilots be familiar with flying in the city, and make it safer for all Burning Man participants.

The FAA requires all pilots of RC aircraft flying within 5 miles of an airport to notify that airport of their operations. Virtually all of Black Rock City is within 5 miles of 88NV, Black Rock City Municipal Airport, and completing the on-line registration and on-playa briefing with RCBRC meets this requirement.

2016 Drone Information:
  1. Registration online opens June 15 and closes July 15. This year 30 operators will be permitted to fly during the event. Register here.
  2. RC pilots must receive an on-playa briefing, after which their RC aircraft and transmitters will be tagged and the pilots issued wristbands. Registration and briefings will take place from 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM, through Friday of the event at the Safety Camp located at 7:30 & H.
  3. RC pilots are financially responsible for any harm or damage caused during the event.
  4. Drones are included in the BLM Closure Order, and only those permitted to operate during the event will be allowed to fly. RC equipment can be confiscated for unsafe flying or violation of RCBRC, AMA, and FAA rules.
  5. Confiscated RC equipment will be held until the end of the event or when the participant departs Black Rock City.
  6. When possible, use a spotter to control onlookers.
  7. No First Person View (FPV) flying.
  8. Flying limited to a maximum altitude of 400 ft.
  9. Flying over crowds is prohibited. Maintain at least 25 ft. horizontal separation from people.
  10. Flying near emergency, police and fire personnel is prohibited.
  11. No flying near the Man beginning Friday night and continuing through the Man Burn, and no flying during the Temple burn.
  12. Flying is prohibited in the City, Center Camp, along the Esplanade, near the airport, and near the BLM Incident Command area.

For general questions, email gabe.kearney@burningman.org.

Burning Man 2016 Drone Policy (PDF)

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: !README! 2016 Drone Policy

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:04 pm

trilobyte wrote: [*]Flying is prohibited in the City, Center Camp, along the Esplanade, near the airport, and near the BLM Incident Command area.

Then where, exactly, can you fly? That seems to me to be about nowhere if you consider "Black Rock City" is everything inside of the trash fence.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:18 pm

Thanks for posting this.

I'm a weird drone activist with respect to the event. I have many posts on it.

If you fly a drone in your neighborhood, you are not likely near either an airport where you collide with an aircraft or near many people on the ground you could crash onto. The Burning Man event is entirely different.

I know many burners are anti rules. These rules are here for a reason. Good reasons.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Actually, Doc, that part has not changed from last year. Registered/permitted operators can fly over the inner playa and in the deep playa.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:32 pm

Irrespective of Burning Man, the FAA now requires that all drones be registered with them - no matter the age of the drone pilot.

The registration process is very easy. But, if the FAA catches you flying an unregistered drone (even on your private propety) they might choose to enforce the full extent of the law and the penalties can be quite harsh.

Even if you do not intend to apply for a BM drone permit, make sure that you register you drone with the FAA.

Drone flyers are considered being Pilots In Command, just like all other aircraft. Fly safe and have fun.

gateway
Camp Name: Yacht Klub

Postby gateway » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:23 pm

Rules for the FAA 107 have been posted and should be intact some time in Aug. This is a the next big step and a much more relaxed policy for becoming a commercial drone pilot. The biggest one is no more need for an actual pilots license, they will do tests and the TSA will need to do a background check on you.

just a fyi..
Personal Blog:
-----------------------
I Bare It All

xfitginger
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Mudskippers

Postby xfitginger » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm trying to track down the drone permit issuing dude or dude-et. I started the application process, not sure the submission took and when I went to follow-up on it, I couldn't get to the submission form any longer. I sent some e-mails querying if the submission went through and have yet to receive a response. I'm part of my camp's early arrival crew, would love to film the building of our camp and others and then capture the art and visuals around playa, closing out with footage of our camping disappearing. Could any one put me in touch with the right folks to find out if I could obtain a pass?

Thank you,
George

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:53 pm

xfitginger wrote:I'm trying to track down the drone permit issuing dude or dude-et. I started the application process, not sure the submission took and when I went to follow-up on it, I couldn't get to the submission form any longer. I sent some e-mails querying if the submission went through and have yet to receive a response. I'm part of my camp's early arrival crew, would love to film the building of our camp and others and then capture the art and visuals around playa, closing out with footage of our camping disappearing. Could any one put me in touch with the right folks to find out if I could obtain a pass?

Thank you,
George

You didn't apply.
You weren't permitted.
Drones can't fly over theme camps or streets. I know this because I read the rules.
Leave it at home.
Enjoy your Burn.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:52 pm

As Just_Joe said, you will not be able to obtain a permit at this very late stage in the game. Aside from your plans not being within the posted rules and guidelines, the application process opened up some time ago and has had an overwhelming response for the very limited number of drone permits that will be issued. Applicants who were successful have been notified and provided further instructions.

Just_Joe
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:29 am

We were inside the event area last night and saw an unauthorized drone buzzing around. I watched it land, went over to talk to the guy and by the time I got to him, it had been confiscated.

People who may get away with bending the rules in their backyards and hometowns need to realize that BLM , FAA and Burning Man all have a stake in this.
They're serious.

amdusa

Postby amdusa » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:38 pm

trilobyte wrote:http://burningman.org/event/black-rock-city-guide/drones/
[*]No flying near the Man beginning Friday night and continuing through the Man Burn, and no flying during the Temple burn.

Why not? What danger is a little plastic flying thing going to do to a giant structure that is going to be burned down anyway? Drone vs. 2x4, the 2x4 is going to win practically everytime.

It doesn't really make sense. It makes a bit more sense though if it were true about the human sacrifices bundled up inside burning man burn structures. A drone with sensors may make it possible to see/hear if there are any human bodies in the "the Man" or Temple burn structures.

Why not just make the participants sign a release, like ice-skating rinks do? Problem solved, no need for cornball wrist bands and registrations. Do the event organizers really expect anyone to think they care about peoples safety with big machines belting out huge bursts of flames way too close to the participants. Big flames, no problem -- little remote controlled piece of plastic with a camera and sensors on it -- big problem.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:12 pm

It is already prohibited to fly the handful of drones licenced by the Burning Man organization over crowds. Like around the Man and the Temple.

I'm not familiar with Temple burn details. But for the Man burn, the fire safety team does not want the radios, the electrics or the battery packs in drones anywhere near the pyrotechnics or accelerants.

The drone policy has been explained - it is prohibited by the FAA to have drones near airports, like the Burning Man airport. The Org has a special small scale experimental exception.

Maybe a better place for your body theory would on a random crazy talk website like 4chan/etc?
Last edited by some seeing eye on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Maybe you've never seen a big drone. They aren't all "little pieces of plastic".
A buddy of mine has a big fucking drone that could fuck you up if it crashed into you.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Troll.
Sock.
Puppet.

Word. :twisted:

It is simply impossible that anybody on earth is this electively dense.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Wait, Grey, you live in Texas ...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Return to “Philosophical Center”