Is this appropriate?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Phantastic79
Burning Since: 2015

Is this appropriate?

Post by Phantastic79 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:15 am

I don't really know where to post this question but I guess I'll start here.

My nephew was gunned down in an act of violence last week in San Jose CA.
https://www.google.com/amp/kron4.com/20 ... id-verizon#

He was only 26 and we beleive it may have been a robbery but don't have all the details. It's a very sad last few weeks for my family.

I want to post his picture and maybe write something meaningful at the temple. But I'm not sure if that's appropriate. Was the temple intended as a tribute for suicide victims? Is this OK? I'm curious what the BM community thinks.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Is this appropriate?

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:26 am

oh I think it's totally appropriate.

Im so sorry for your loss
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:29 am

There's zero stipulation about how you lost someone that you represent in the temple.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 am

That (and a million other things) is exactly what the temple is for. Sorry for your loss.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:55 am

Absolutely appropriate. Grieve in your own way. I have a Temple "let it go" every year. Each year it is something different, cancer, suicide, simple passing of a parent.....this is what the Temple is for. Peace to you, my friend.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Phantastic79
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Phantastic79 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:02 am

You guys are fantastic. Thanks for the replies.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:55 pm

Like the all the above posts state, that's what the temple is there for. For anyone to remember the loss of a friend, relative, pet, or even some inanimate object.

You can also mention him in the RIP thread where more folks will probably see it.

Hugs to you.
((((((Phantastic79))))))
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

somebodys-mom
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp 511. We provide your traffic info

Post by somebodys-mom » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:12 pm

I'm glad you asked about this. I know my "loss" was just a cat but I've wondered who I should talk with about having my cat's ashes go up in either the Temple or the Man or anything there, really. She was like my own child so having her gone now is like having lost a chunk of my flesh.

So...collective Hive Mind, who do I go to to ask if I can bring my cat's ashes to the burn? (Yes I know it's stupid and yes, I know it's just a cat.)
Beware of inviting trouble. It usually accepts.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:28 am

Pets are family members too! You could put your cat's ashes in a wooden vessel so it is fully incinerated.

Short of something destructive, the Temple is there for whatever you wish. It's not even specifically for letting go, grieving, or spirtuality, though it tends to be used for that purpose.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

somebodys-mom
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp 511. We provide your traffic info

Post by somebodys-mom » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:45 am

So do I just show up with my cat's ashes in a box and place them wherever or is there someone I should go to for placement?
Beware of inviting trouble. It usually accepts.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:01 pm

I've heard that if you can feign sympathy and emotion, it's a great place to pick up women.

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:59 pm

somebodys-mom wrote:I'm glad you asked about this. I know my "loss" was just a cat but I've wondered who I should talk with about having my cat's ashes go up in either the Temple or the Man or anything there, really. She was like my own child so having her gone now is like having lost a chunk of my flesh.

So...collective Hive Mind, who do I go to to ask if I can bring my cat's ashes to the burn? (Yes I know it's stupid and yes, I know it's just a cat.)
It's not stupid and it's not "just a cat." You said your cat was like "a chunk of your flesh", pretty much like a "child." I feel the same about the current eight cats I have and still feel the same about the four I've lost since 2009 and personally, I cant part with their ashes. I have posted messages about them on the walls.
You do what you have to do.

((((((somebodys-mom))))))
Last edited by Thecatman on Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Thecatman

Post by Thecatman » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I've heard that if you can feign sympathy and emotion, it's a great place to pick up women.
What the hell have I been doing wrong then? Hasn't worked for me :twisted:

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:26 pm

Thecatman wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:I've heard that if you can feign sympathy and emotion, it's a great place to pick up women.
What the hell have I been doing wrong then? Hasn't worked for me :twisted:
You've got to look for the rare ones who are there strictly to pose for glamour shots and try for a wi-fi signal. :lol:

I've seen so many different kinds of things at the temple. I've seen ashes of all kinds, I've seen written memorials to humans, animals and [probably] imaginary friends, I've seen painful old love letters . . . and crutches from someone who learned to walk again. I've seen confessions, I've seen people who mark the Burn as their New Year and resolve to simply do better in their lives, I've seen people resolving to get out of bad relationships, and others mourning their childhood damage.

Leave whatever baggage you want at the Temple. Preferably in flammable form, as I know you don't want a member of DPW chucking treasured ashes inside an inflammable container into the trash. Either scatter ashes, or make sure they will burn.

Bring sharpies to write with. Everyone writes on the Temple.

There are a lot of people letting out their sadnesses there, so whatever you do, an attempt to be a little sensitive there is kind, if you can spare it.

That said, everyone mourns in their own way, and Burning Man is founded--in part--by waggish spirits (some of whom call themselves The Cacophony Society ), so you may encounter mischief at the Temple as well. However, it is generally the quietest place I've ever entered with so many people within (sometimes, it's almost as quiet as a church during "silent prayer") and there is definitely a general trend in Temple atmosphere . . . which is why--if you search hard enough--you will find that people sometimes get upset if something outside the norm happens there.

*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Philosophical Center”