Welcome to the Value of Virgins / Burgins

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Welcome to the Value of Virgins / Burgins

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:43 pm

Many of you are planning your participation. Good for getting prepared!

This is about the value of virgins to multi year burners and the event.

Your first year is unique. No worries you don't become a burner year two to infinity. Many camps seek virgins, to hear their stories. It is very, very late to connect with a camp now.

"OMG, I saw this, I heard this, I tasted this, this happened." Your story is special to Burning Man!

Every story of things you saw, things you did has value in telling to the year two plus burners.

Carry a way to journal, write / dictate audio or video.

You will have a magical experience!

As they say, you can only step in the flowing stream which is Burning Man as a virgin once!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Welcome to the Value of Virgins / Burgins

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:49 pm

So much this!
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:31 pm

Nonsense, they are there so we can have endless entertainment with pulling pranks, bullhorn heckling and guided misdirection.

Don't worry, we will get you no matter how hard you try to evade us FKOs. :twisted:

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:48 pm

I was reaaaaalllly looking forward to having a virgin in my care this year (my last was in 2009); unforseen circumstances have cancelled his experience. :evil:

I am soooo bummed.
I hadn't realized how MUCH I was anticipating the joy of introducing a newb to BRC. :lol:

Letting go of expectations, now ... :roll:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:15 am

Its okay, Yay. We have two. Feel free to borrow either/both. Just have them home for supper. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:16 am

We have two second years, but new to camp life. That's enough responsibility for me right now.

We've also half adopted one in our area. He's not camping with us, but we've been helping each other out.
Sic Semper Spectatores

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:33 am

From this virgin, thank you.

Words can't even describe (yet) how I feel about leaping off into this unknown. From the beginning of this odyssey, my entire being has seemed drawn, pulled, and pushed towards this place. My burn began long before I will even see the desert.

I know that I will never have this particular feeling of wonder again once I step foot on the playa. I don't yet know the feeling of "the dust" or the intensity of the land, I don't yet know the rush of sound, the pressure of humankind. I don't yet know the embrace of home and my yet-to-be-discovered new family. I can only imagine the rush on the senses, the deep caring of the people, and the emotional vulnerability that comes with all of this.

Embracing the 10 principles is clean for me at this point, I take them at their core meaning without the influence of opinion, without their flaws, or how they are really applied.

This is why I am camping solo, I want to dive into this maelstrom head first and learn how to swim as I go before the jaws of reality begin to close. I fully believe that if I start to drown, someone there will grab me by the collar and pull me up for air.

My eyes are wide open in awe and my mouth agape in wonder.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:36 pm

Carry a way to journal, write / dictate writing text, audio or video.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:37 pm

We often host international burgins, to make their journey simpler, providing some essentials. They get shade and a tent, but they have to set it up. Water, but they get to make ice runs. Use of the kitchen and a cooler, but they bring their own food and drink. It has always been a lovely experience. I chose not to offer this year, as I was so uncertain about my health and surgeries.

This year our burgin is a member of my extended local family/ohana. I know him and he's been to regionals so no stranger to basic burning. I almost forgot to consider him a newbie!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:45 pm

We've got two newbs with us, and I can't wait. They're both slightly pre-jaded (I mean c'mon, they are camping with us), but I came pre-jaded as well my first year, and I still fell into the wonder of the event the second we pulled into camp and I stepped outside.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Philosophical Center”