Dear Abby: I think I’m camping with a Sparkle Pony.

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
dustyfux
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Break It Down

Re: Dear Abby: I think I’m camping with a Sparkle Pony.

Post by dustyfux » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:12 pm

Can always send her on a snipe hunt.

"see that ship mutant vehicle over there? I hear the captain has free wine spritzers and garlic french fries"...

Kelsier
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Post by Kelsier » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:21 pm

dustyfux wrote:Can always send her on a snipe hunt.

"see that ship mutant vehicle over there? I hear the captain has free wine spritzers and garlic french fries"...
Somehow she'd actually come back with garlic fries.

I'll stop worrying. 8)
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Kelsier I was a bit harsh, it sounds like you're bringing someone who is gonna be a mooch but it sounds like you didn't know that until it was too late.
There's a legend about a woman who showed up around '98 or '00 with absolutely nothing. Naked even. It was kind of a social experiment to see how she would end up. She was fine, got everything she needed.
But I think that has nothing to do with the gift economy. It's because she had tits.

I work really hard for a long time to bring all the stuff I bring to BRC. I get pretty disgusted with people who show up empty handed just to TAKE from the gift economy.
Those people are why gift economies can't ever work out.
This chick is one of those.
At least you're trying to cover your and her ass and don't have the "join a camp" mentality like that's how you do burning man without bothering to bring all your own shit.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Kelsier I was a bit harsh, it sounds like you're bringing someone who is gonna be a mooch but it sounds like you didn't know that until it was too late.
There's a legend about a woman who showed up around '98 or '00 with absolutely nothing. Naked even. It was kind of a social experiment to see how she would end up. She was fine, got everything she needed.
But I think that has nothing to do with the gift economy. It's because she had tits.

I work really hard for a long time to bring all the stuff I bring to BRC. I get pretty disgusted with people who show up empty handed just to TAKE from the gift economy.
Those people are why gift economies can't ever work out.
This chick is one of those.
At least you're trying to cover your and her ass and don't have the "join a camp" mentality like that's how you do burning man without bothering to bring all your own shit.
No harm, no foul. Wouldn't be an Eplaya post if Captain Goddammit didn't say something negative. ;)

Although I'd have to say she isn't a mooch. Very unprepared and not focused enough to do a minimum amount of research, but not a mooch. She's fully prepared to bring everything she needs; the problem is she doesn't realize WHAT she needs and won't focus enough to learn. Not faulting you, you don't know her; and I feel contradictory defending her after posting the initial bitch fest.

But I can only offer so much help so much without seeming like a nagging ninny (is that a thing?).
I'll get the net.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:20 pm

SSE! Thank you for reminding me. I got caught up in the funny while having tangible wisdom to share.

The flimsy pop-up shade thing with accordion-like truss - don't even let her load it in for the trip.

Unless you know how to beef it up, odds are very good that wind will bend, break, and overall molest the crap out of it to the point where it cannot be collapsed back into the small original package.

Just imagine a giant twisted metal spider with some torn tarp all throughout.

You will have to take it home with you and it will be bigger than your vehicle.

If you feel compelled to worry about something, that's the one item to focus into.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:14 pm

Here is a good thread direction.

What can't can not you sparkle charm your "forgot to pack" need on playa?

Walking shoes. They have to be your size and broken into your gait footsies.

Any eye glasses / contacts are individually needed to see.

Prescribed pharmaceuticals. No pharmacy dispensing or prescribing on playa.

More? Add!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

nilasnake

Post by nilasnake » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:22 am

when you get back from the playa, please let us know the outcome.

dustyfux
Camp Name: Break It Down

Post by dustyfux » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

I pack a sawzall in the never ending tool box for one reason: to help those collapse their foldable canopies for packing after a week on the playa. All it takes is a 15 degree bend at any joint and there's a 50% change it will not fold per manufacturers specs.

Shoes, contacts, Rx.....invisaline braces can't be sparkle charmed .

Interesting story Capt. I always heard it was a dude not a chick. If indeed it was a female I would up the ante to thrive instead of survive. Dudes will give their last bacon burger to any naked woman.

Token

Post by Token » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:18 pm

If that sawzall is for tearing down bent canopies ...

... you're doing it wrong.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:03 pm

Token wrote:If that sawzall is for tearing down bent canopies ...

... you're doing it wrong.

Alien dildo? :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Does anyone NOT bring a sawzall?

Oh, right. The "I need to join a camp to contribute" people. They don't bring shit that's actually needed.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 pm

dustyfux wrote:I pack a sawzall in the never ending tool box for one reason: to help those collapse their foldable canopies for packing after a week on the playa. All it takes is a 15 degree bend at any joint and there's a 50% change it will not fold per manufacturers specs.
She's so excited by this pop-up. The person she is borrowing it from is a burner so hopefully it comes with what's necessary to secure it. If not, I'M not setting I up, and may accidentally leave in in the vehicle me and our stuff are getting a ride in, but not actually camping with.

I'm definitely not one who is bringing a sawzall this first time, but if I can't keep her from setting it up, I may be seeking you out. :)
I'll get the net.

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:06 am

So how it'd end up going?

Token

Post by Token » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:24 am

Plus, Kelsier, now that it's all over and done, show your friend how to get here so we can compare notes on both perspectives. :twisted:

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:37 pm

Kelsier came by our camp, had a tamale, and spent a few minutes chatting. He's a nice guy.

I'll let him tell the sparklepony story. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:30 pm

I would love a post burn update on this thread.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:25 pm

Things actually went relatively smoothly. We ended up open camping way out on "I" next to a decent sized group from Kansas. The group had all been multiple times and were able (and more than happy) to provide her with what she was lacking. I definitely took advantage of their hospitality because some vital parts of my shade structure were left behind. My fault for packing at 5am. =) While our tents weren't shaded, there was a good social area of tarps strung between RVs that we were welcomed to use.

Ultimately she clearly spent more time and money on costumes than anything else. Nothing that lit up at night mind you, and lots of feathers. I did talk her out of wearing the headdress...and once someone other than me bitched her out about moop, she stopped the feathers all together. But her lack of prep didn't backfire because she was well taken care of. I had all the medical stuff and emergency supplies. There was plenty of water, so hers never had a chance to run out. The heat and winds weren't too bad this year, so no major tent failures (though every time there was a strong breeze, her tall tent would nearly double over and a few stakes would pop out. I fortunately was able to forestall putting up the 10x10 popup, and once friendships were formed with the neighbors, it wasn't necessary. And when she didn't want to eat the food that we bought she could just eat with the Kansas folk. I realized before, she would survive any situation..

No, we didn't sleep together. =) She definitely had her fun, and I was a good wingman for one of the guys (I'm set for a place to stay if I ever visit Topeka). My wife and I are monogamous and don't make an exception for Burning Man, so all of my sexual pleasure was self inflicted.

For the most part SP and I went our different ways. I did enjoy what times we did explore together, and her social attitude definitely got me into more conversations and meeting people than I would have on my own. But part of my personal journey turned out to be about learning how to get out of my shell and start conversations myself. So usually I would let her go off with whichever guy she was focused on at the time, and I"d go off on my own, or with a few from the other group.

So no major issues, though we were pretty annoyed with each other by the end of the trip, and honestly I think we each had more fun exploring without the other person. We each had different interests and focuses, which of course is fine. I just got annoyed with taking care of her drunk ass. :roll:

But my burn was fantastic. Even at the times I was miserable, I was loving it. Definitely planning on going again next year, and this time around I'll be able to relax and plan a bit less; not to mention bring a ton less food. I'll just let the Sparkle Pony take care of her own ticket next year; my wife is already shopping for goggles. 8)
I'll get the net.

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Sorry for the delay in updating. Taking me a while to decompress. And sadly I didn't have any exciting stories to share in relation to Sparkle Pony failure. She was mostly self-centered but I had an inkling of that before. Just have not spent such long stretches of time with her in the past. I can see what they say about Burning Man straining/ruining relationships. She's definitely someone I can only handle in small doses.
I'll get the net.

Slug
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CampDIY

Post by Slug » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:43 pm

Thank you for the post-burn update Kelsier! So many times we are left unfulfilled here on eplaya.

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:56 am

Kelsier wrote:Definitely planning on going again next year, and this time around I'll be able to relax and plan a bit less; not to mention bring a ton less food.
Two words my good man: Condition Alpha.

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:15 am

Wrath wrote:
Kelsier wrote:Definitely planning on going again next year, and this time around I'll be able to relax and plan a bit less; not to mention bring a ton less food.
Two words my good man: Condition Alpha.

Scratch that. Bringing an extra trailer full of supplies next year. :mrgreen:
I'll get the net.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:51 pm

Great thread, and thanks for circling back to let us know how it went. Sounds like a pretty great outcome, hooray for the community coming through and I'm glad to hear you had an awesome burn, too. Now that you've got that first burn under your belt... wait, that doesn't sound right... now that you've got your first burn behind you :D maybe you'll end up relaxing on planning the basics and plan more on other fun stuff. One question though, does the comment about your wife shopping for goggles mean she's already helping you plot your return, or is she interested in joining the adventure next year?

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:32 pm

trilobyte wrote: One question though, does the comment about your wife shopping for goggles mean she's already helping you plot your return, or is she interested in joining the adventure next year?
She's all set to join next year. I wanted to feel it out the first time, so next year I can fix some of that mistakes and make sure things go smoothly (as smoothly as things can go on the playa.). She's very excited to accompany next year. :)

Yes. Less stress and more planning for fun stuff. Already looking forward to it.
I'll get the net.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:36 am

Sounds excellent, and good on you for blazing the trail so to speak. Now that you have a better idea of what to expect, and of course knowing your wife as you do, you can spend less time with the basic stuff and more time on helping overcome the stuff that would cause her more stress or unhappiness.

Kelsier

Post by Kelsier » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:51 am

Exactly! I want the majority of her stress and unhappiness to come from me! 8)
I'll get the net.

Return to “Philosophical Center”