Vandals Strike 2016 Sound Camp Infrastructure

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Vandals Strike 2016 Sound Camp Infrastructure

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:59 pm

Personally I'm not even the hugest fan of sound camps.

But personally I do not think this is a good turn of events. Not something to do to any camp. Not to do to even any PnP. If you have a problem with inclusivity, interactivity or 10 principles fails with a camp, report to Placement. Rangers can reach Placement.

White Ocean Facebook:
1 hr ·
Guys,
I think what happened last night should be known on social media. I see it as a great opportunity to turn a disgrace in to something very positive. See below.
A very unfortunate and saddening event happened last night at White Ocean, something we thought would never be possible in OUR Burning Man utopia.
A band of hooligans raided our camp, stole from us, pulled and sliced all of our electrical lines leaving us with no refrigeration and wasting our food and, glued our trailer doors shut, vandalized most of our camping infrastructure, dumped 200 gallons of potable water flooding our camp.
We immediately contacted authorities.
Sheriffs came to our camp along with rangers to take our report.
This year has been quite the challenge for our camp. We have felt like we've been sabotaged from every angle, but last night's chain of events, while we were all out enjoying our beautiful home, was an absolute and definitive confirmation that some feel we are not deserving of Burning Man. We actually had someone from the organization tell us that in paraphrase "it makes sense that you have been sabotaged as you are a closed camp and not welcoming."
We provide one of the most state of the art stages on the playa and feed hundreds of non white ocean burners a day. Does this qualify as a non welcoming camp with no contribution to Burning Man?
Nonetheless, with open hearts and immense love for what we bring to Burning Man, we will absolutely not let this pathetic violation stop what we came here to do.
We came here to unite people through music and love. We came here to inspire and we came here to live and let live.
Please join us at our White Ocean stage and help us celebrate life through music. In doing so together, we can make these foolish acts of hate as minuscule as a particle of dust on our beloved playa.
All love from White Ocean.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Vandals Strike 2016 Sound Camp Infrastructure

Post by Token » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Sounds like Project Mayhem.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:46 pm

The plot thickens with an anonymous post:

"
Bwahahaha.
Last year was my first burn. Because my brother and I had created a VR burning man project, we were able to help White Ocean plan their camp. For this we were given a yurt at camp.
We arrived days early and volunteered to set up. We made immediate friends with those setting up, cleaning, setting up food. They have hired awesome crews. These guys were dropping bombs on problems when they came up.
Then guests started arriving. There was just an evil vibe as soon as that happened. When I found out the place was organized by Russian mafia, I wasn't surprised. The term "Eurotrash" could be used. We got cups and necklaces for ID. The edge of the camp was blocked off tight with only 2 exits/entrances. We were told to hug anyone we didn't recognize and show them the door.
Monday evening we were told to meet for our first workshop before supper. People piled into the central tent lounge. Our first speaker was an org lawyer. He told of the legal issues since 1995 and gave us guidelines to stay out of trouble. We were hinted at that if we did get in trouble that white ocean had lawyers that would straighten things out for us. While he was talking the camp members were starting to get rude.
We moved onto our next speaker who was a woman that is an artist and a full time employee of the org. She attempted to talk about the 10 principles of burning man and by this time the group wasn't having it. "What can you do at burning man?" "You can be a sex slave!" It was embarrassing to witness. People were fall down drunk, a half naked woman took a phone call in front of her. Dinner was served and the week of workshops were cancelled.
The food was incredible. I can't say what it was, because I didn't recognize much of it. We had raw salmon most days, and there was miso soup waiting at 3 a.m. It was the perfect food to keep you going day and night and not make you spend all morning in the porta potties. The food staff kicked ass. By Thursday they were feeding 300 people.
There were great people at the camp. Ya, this was the place the San Francisco tech guys bought into, but some were great guys who really wanted to make a connection. I met a Welsh boxer and club owner from New York who was about the most interesting guy I've ever met. We helped a crew of 8 bucketlisters from Texas who were overwhelmed make the even theirs.
At the same time, there were people who pushed at the food line and getting in line first usually meant waiting a half hour while the goons got their food, drank handles of vodka, and had conversations while the food line was completely stopped. There was bullying(giving out nasty playa names) threats, and fights. The center camp lounge the attendees would toss butts, roaches, or food right on the ground. There were people hired to clean it up.
A few days in, we were either at other camps or if we were at our camp, we didn't socialize. The crew that assembled the sound camp walled themselves in their own camp separate from the white ocean group. I didn't witness fights, but I would have not been surprised had one broken out there, there was a lot of hostility in the camp. I think on Thursday or Friday night, the generator was attacked, diesel was syphoned out and hundreds of gallons drained onto the playa.
"

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:51 pm

Sad.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Token

Post by Token » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Seems to me like the sound camp part is funded by the turnkey camp part or some such.

I'm entertained.

Not sure on the follow-up post, sounds like prior year experience.

Either way, hat-tip to the Space Monkeys that pulled this off. Serious guerilla culture jam right there.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:52 pm

I don't know anything about this camp or if any of this is true but it sounds like a train wreck. If someone is dumping diesel on the Playa then it becomes everyone's problem.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:31 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:... but it sounds like a train wreck. If someone is dumping diesel on the Playa then it becomes everyone's problem.

> diesel was syphoned out and hundreds of gallons drained onto the playa.

Odd we didn't hear something about this last year shortly after it happened (or did we?). Surely BLM and playa restoration didn't miss that kind of a spill.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Grain of salt all around.

The post by the camp looks legit but the reply ... Eh... Entertaining at best.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:17 am

From FB:

A: I also want to add that no matter how painful it is, look within your own organization. Do you have any disgruntled campers? Have you had any in the past? With nobody seeing this, it sounds like an inside job....

B: Yeah when I camped. Worked for white ocean in 2014 not only did they not pay any of my crew.. there was lots of disgruntled employees... Burners that don't want to feel like employees at the burn but have to work to afford to be there... Im still paying off bills from that year cause I ran The whole kitchen and they didn't pay me at the end..

Reports will come from anonymous sources and FB accounts. Will be interesting to unwind.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:59 am

Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

alt12
Burning Since: 2004

Post by alt12 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Wow I can't believe the one year I didn't go and playa vigilantes take down one of the major plug-n-play camps. I'm sorry, but I feel no sympathy for them whatsoever... I don't think this is going to change the course of the event at all but it is certainly a statement.

Call me "burner than thou" but I miss the days when the people who had camps actually built their camps with their own blood, sweat, tears and friends and there was a bond among all theme camps in that there were some shared trials that we all went through no matter how different the camps where.

Hiring 100 people to do everything for you, including tying your shoe-laces, so that you can re-create your default-world experience of being at the top of the social hierarchy, does not qualify as self-reliance under any definition, much less "radically' self-reliant. Its more like "radically" spoiled, entitled, and dependent.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Canoe wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:... but it sounds like a train wreck. If someone is dumping diesel on the Playa then it becomes everyone's problem.

> diesel was syphoned out and hundreds of gallons drained onto the playa.

Odd we didn't hear something about this last year shortly after it happened (or did we?). Surely BLM and playa restoration didn't miss that kind of a spill.
I thought all this happened this year. I never heard of this before. How did the MOOP map look where they were? Bad thing is Red on the map doesn't say why it was red just that it was. As opposed to Plug-n-play as I am I really don't know which is worse, vandals or P-n-P camps.

Considering Radical Inclusion & all, can we exclude anyone? Do they actually damage the event despite how much we disagree with them? Should the Org require & enforce large camps to adhere to most of the principals when so many individual burners don't

Is this a major turning point in the event that, depending on how the Org deals with it, will forever change Burning Man. I think many of the old timers would tell you that it has already happened. But I do think things could get worse.

I know I have a lot of questions & no answers but I'm torn on this topic.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:16 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:...I thought all this happened this year...
Could be. I saw them referring to an incident on 'Thursday or Friday' with the post made on Thursday... I assume last year.
FlyingMonkey wrote:... Is this a major turning point in the event that, depending on how the Org deals with it, will forever change Burning Man...
No. We obviously don't have all of the facts, but the look & feel is of some major dorks encountering some karma.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:39 pm

I think there is a LOT of behind-the-scenes shit that really has not surfaced yet.

Ultra-entitled son of a Russian billionaire
Russian mobsters
A long-simmering beef between camps
Infrastructure propriety
Non-payment of sherpas

If you wanted a recipe for disaster, this was it.

It seems to me like a long overdue grudge came due. I'm mostly okay with that. The only problem is it happened on the playa, which is totally NOT cool.

This is what the PNP ethic brings. Default entitlement. Axes to grind. Petty bitches and animosity. In a word: Sadness. :(
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:43 pm

I believe when the dust has settled, you've essentially nailed it, on most if not all points.

alt12

Post by alt12 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:03 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:I think there is a LOT of behind-the-scenes shit that really has not surfaced yet.

Ultra-entitled son of a Russian billionaire
Russian mobsters
A long-simmering beef between camps
Infrastructure propriety
Non-payment of sherpas

If you wanted a recipe for disaster, this was it.

It seems to me like a long overdue grudge came due. I'm mostly okay with that. The only problem is it happened on the playa, which is totally NOT cool.

This is what the PNP ethic brings. Default entitlement. Axes to grind. Petty bitches and animosity. In a word: Sadness. :(

This sounds about right. And this is what you get from the "new" Burning Man.

Let's not forget that Larry Harvey basically spent the entire year shouting as loudly as possible that rich funders of art are the absolute core of burning man and the key to the the evolution of human species, etc. This seems to have co-incided with his switch form wearing a 10-gallon cowboy hat to wearing a hipster-trucker hat.....

You couldn't make this shit up, I swear to god.

Token

Post by Token » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:27 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote: Is this a major turning point in the event that, depending on how the Org deals with it, will forever change Burning Man. I think many of the old timers would tell you that it has already happened. But I do think things could get worse.

I know I have a lot of questions & no answers but I'm torn on this topic.
There were several major turning points already.

1996 Was a big schism where John Law called it quits.

By the time I made it to my first burn in 2001 there was already a generational shift. The original cacophony and Zone Trip elements were largely gone or diminished.

2005 with the BORG2 revolt, either a harbinger of doom or a last desperate defibrillator blast on the dying patient.

Somewhere along the way LarryCo wound down his participation, and the deep playa jazz clubs faded into memory (rubber ducky, fuzzy dice etc).

Marion Goodall took over with mass media campaigns and started running the place like a big business.

For me personally, green man in 2007 was the beginning of the end. I made it out a few more years past that. 2010 was my last and I have no regrets.

2007 shattered the balance of free expression and collective necessity and replaced it with an agenda.

Then new bigger better agenda got plopped on.

The Glitterati were born, and once they set the bar it was a matter of time before the jet-setters joined in.

Gone are the days when most went to crate something unique.

TD-2441
Burning Since: 2008

Post by TD-2441 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Token wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote: By the time I made it to my first burn in 2001 there was already a generational shift. The original cacophony and Zone Trip elements were largely gone or diminished.
I think the rise of social media began the demise. Once that BM video went viral on Gawker etc etc, thousand of people sat up and said "ooh I've never heard of that, it looks awesome!", and BM was suddenly on the radar of people from all walks of life, society and wealth. Some of those coming from wealth would want an easy burn and a standard of living they were used to, and naturally, industries will spring up to service their needs. Vandalising these camps will just mean that burly security guards will be in attendance next year, which will further stoke the flames of opposition to the "out of touch rich kids".

I burned in 2008 and 2010 and heard about the event via a Burner friend. I'm hoping to return in 2017 but I'm already skeptical about even being able to get 2 tickets :( I fear things are only going to change for the worse, and the year a Kardashian turns up on the Playa, BM will truly be dead for me :(
"I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert". - Demetri Martin

alt12

Post by alt12 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:29 am

TD-2441 wrote:
I think the rise of social media began the demise. Once that BM video went viral on Gawker etc etc, thousand of people sat up and said "ooh I've never heard of that, it looks awesome!", and BM was suddenly on the radar of people from all walks of life, society and wealth. Some of those coming from wealth would want an easy burn and a standard of living they were used to, and naturally, industries will spring up to service their needs. (
Let's not forget the major impact of electronic music becoming mainstream and the pop-EDM culture it has spawned. 10 years ago electronic music was so for weirdos and euro-trash (according to joe frat boy). Now its has taken the center stage of pop music and Bassnecatar does college tours! . As a result, lots of people that were turned off by the preponderance of electronic music at BM are now attracted to that. Thus you have 10,000 virgins every year that are under the impression that its just another Electric Daisy Carnival....

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:26 am

If any of the folks involved with the incident are reading this, I would love to talk to you. I'm going to be writing a long-form piece on Burn.Life about the community divide this illustrates and I'd much rather be sure of your motivations rather than inferring them. Were they attacked because they're a plug n' play? Were you disgruntled contractors who didn't get paid?

Regardless, I will protect you as a source, and am happy to talk to you in whatever way you feel best protects you. I have zero interest in outing you to law enforcement or anyone else. You can contact me here, or at yes@burn.life.

If you did what you did to send a message, then let me give you another platform for that message.

Edit: We can use Wickr to chat, which is end-to-end encrypted and gives the sender the ability to control how long the message persists before being permanently deleted. Install the app on your phone then email me from a disposable email addy and I'll give you my number so that you can reach me on Wickr, securely and safely.
Last edited by DrYes on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 am

Token

Post by Token » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:25 am

alt12 wrote:
Let's not forget the major impact of electronic music becoming mainstream and the pop-EDM culture it has spawned. 10 years ago electronic music was so for weirdos and euro-trash (according to joe frat boy). Now its has taken the center stage of pop music and Bassnecatar does college tours! . As a result, lots of people that were turned off by the preponderance of electronic music at BM are now attracted to that. Thus you have 10,000 virgins every year that are under the impression that its just another Electric Daisy Carnival....
I don't really see the EDM connection. Been part of the experience forever. Neither here nor there.

If 10K folks show up for the rave, a rave is what they will find.

Same way 10K can show up for Thunderdome and that is exactly what they will find.

The big blender is a OK

The whole grow at all costs BORG actions are where the stink begins, and now an encouraged class system is being set up.

Those that jet-set in vs. the little people who make things happen.

The whole cultural and social experiment is over and the conclusion is the capitalism wins no matter what.

But it is all crowd sourced on kick-starter anyway, right? Other people's money.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:53 am

Token wrote:Sounds like Project Mayhem.
From my involvement with Cacophony, I never saw any serious destruction or significant economic targeting of small business, in fact Cacophony supported small businesses. Mayhem is something from fiction, not from Burning Man.

Vandalism is asymmetric warfare and very difficult / impossible prevent once it enters the culture.

I agree that what actually happened over two years is not clear. Maybe this camp has people who shouldn't be at the event. Treat your suppliers with love and respect, and conduct your affairs with dignity and grace. In your quest to make an ever-more fantastic experience for your campmates, don't forget your relationship to all the participants at the event.

Most crime is between individuals who know one another. Maybe that is the case here. Then there is the crime inspired in mentally ill individuals by media, vigilantes are an example. There is crime that can get started by groupthink - think teens and the anarchist black bloc.

But once you get the general public, or in this case, the event organizers irritated with you, you are in a bad place.

I would guess this is the opening of act 2 of the PnP debate.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:26 pm

Word on the playa today is it wasn't who we thought it was at first.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:38 pm

If what was described in White Ocean's Facebook post regarding the vandalism is true, then they will be filing a police report and we will hear more about that. If they don't file a report, it didn't happen, full stop. Or at the very least, the details are much fuzzier than "we were attacked!"

I can't support vandalism, but I'm not too bummed it happened to White Ocean. Everything from its ties to a straight up Russian oligarch thug to its treatment of their vendors and, basically employees (not to mention the very existence of employees on the playa) strikes me as an element that Burning Man can do without. I couldn't care less how big or loud their music stage is, if you have to pay people to build your camp and your art cars so you can swan around the playa, you won't be missed.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:40 pm

No one big noise camp would be missed. There are rows of large scale camps one after another.
In my just-been-listening-to-it opinion, Mayan Warrior was the best sounding thing on the playa. And played better stuff.
Maybe I'll post it when I get off the playa, I took a cruise up 2:00 taking a few minutes of video at the loud camps. There was one... then another... then another... then another...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:43 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Word on the playa today is it wasn't who we thought it was at first.
When you get settled back in defaultia please elaborate if you can shed light on this. I think it's important.

Slaphappy
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Slaphappy » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Second-year burner here, who brought my 'virgin' wife this year. We had an overall blast (meltdowns and all) and a BM experience we'd dreamed of, but I can also say EVERY detracting element we encountered was related to PnP camps (which is why I'm following this thread).

1. While dancing at an EDM camp my wife saw a woman just casually throw her trash on the ground. We approached nicely and said, "excuse me I think you dropped that". The woman and her boyfriend - both so clean you could eat off of them - just glared back at us and walked away. Sure it was minor, but that level of ignorance in public was startling.

2. As we casually chatted with folks in a bar along 10:00, a tall pristine couple with flowing garb rode by on fast segways. Our neighborhood doesn't have people on segways, so our gaze lingered on them for a bit. Just then, the guy hit a bump and flipped off into the mother of all yard-sales. His shit went everywhere. You know how our bar responded? They laughed out loud, and clapped, while others just smirked. Now I'm not saying everyone needed to rush out and help, but NOBODY moved a muscle, and in that moment a legitimate underlying rift in that neighborhood was laid bare for all to see. (you can see the woman in the same green outfit & segway by googling the UPROXX article "BM Luxury Camp Vandalized")

3. While discussing these events later, my wife and I debated their effect on volunteerism. Experiencing first-hand how these types of 'takers' were affecting the experiences of others - and so consistently & brazenly violating at least four or five of the 10 principles - we agreed it would be difficult to volunteer for city services without feeling like an exploited chump. The sense of communal effort and support is the literal heartbeat of volunteerism - an accentuated by the substantial sacrifices in time, effort & expense we all make to attend the event - there seems little doubt the entire city risks being affected by the entitled parasite class.

4. What's up with man-burn Saturday?! Again this year, on Saturday it was best to simply avoid the entire shallow playa or Esplanade anywhere near 2 or 10, as those areas had notable upticks in snobby unfriendly 'takers' who seem to treat BM as little more than either a tourist attraction with free liquor, or as a backdrop for their personal photographer to maximize their personal brand. Not only are these takers siphoning 10-day tickets from those who truly wish to experience the event (for just a 12-hour EDM bender), but their existence adversely affects many in the community who are capping off a fantastic week together. Are you or your girlfriend going to walk around nude with these clowns and their photo entourages over your shoulder? Are you going to smile and laugh and let your guard down as easily with such scowling miserable people next to you? Sure "radical inclusion" means everyone is allowed to participate, but I contend these folks DON'T WANT to participate. It's obvious some have no idea what Burning Man even is, nor are they curious to know. To them it's just a shabby-chic rave to brag about later.

So just as they have adapted to exploiting BM's inclusive culture, BM will soon need to adapt to them. Should BM close the gates on Thursday 6p sharp? That would at least ensure folks spend a few days in the community before their Saturday rave. Hell who knows, something nice may rub off on them. Or how about stricter enforcement of the principles? Define "Radical Inclusion", "Radical Self-Reliance" and "Communal Effort". Sure a certain core group of these people will avoid the event going forward if they become the least bit physically uncomfortable, but the rest may actually start taking "community" more seriously than "I paid a DJ and brought my own awesomeness so I get a free pass".

Anyway I'm sure you guys have all discussed these and other ideas before. As a measly second-year attendee I'm just verifying that "yes", it's just as obvious to first-time burners as it is to veterans that these problems are real, and hopefully we can work together to address them. The greatest experience in the world is worth nurturing and protecting.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:27 pm

“YOU were ESPECIALLY chosen for this elaborate performance and – news blast – these things don’t happen to random people – only those who are WORTHY of such acts are picked. You just didn’t realise it was coming because you haven’t been paying attention,”
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... -hooligans

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Fuck White Ocean

To bad
Not sad
You're mad
We've been had
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Philosophical Center”