Vandals Strike 2016 Sound Camp Infrastructure

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Re: Vandals Strike 2016 Sound Camp Infrastructure

Post by vargaso » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Ratty wrote:OK kids. We're not really vandals or hooligans. Are we? The internet is forever. That's what they teach us in harassment training every 2 years. From another source I learned not to hang on to anything I don't want to show up on the evidence table. If this thread is being linked to other sites you guys may want to tone it down. Eplayans aren't vigilantes. Personally, I don't care about White Ocean one way or the other. They bring music. They don't show up at my camp eating out of my snack box. It's fun to hate the P&P camps but I don't want the public at large to think we're a bunch of childish A-holes.
I'm only advocating for tomfoolery and general fuckery. Rewriting a Wikipedia page and doing some leaf clearing on the White Ocean perimeter all sounds within bounds. Wearing those Halloween fake buck teeth and looking generally slovenly, then crashing their lounge and chatting up "hot girls" and "Russian models" is even better. We'll bring the ugly to their beautiful people party.

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:11 pm

666isMONEY wrote:I'd love to meet a Hollywood screenwriter for my Idea: a Messiah returning who will tell the truth (about climate-change, the Kennedy assassinations, 9-11, peak oil, etc.), 12, well-known disciples (an all-star cast) to back up "the truth", a new rational religion based on the uniqueness of this planet and a plan to abolish money.
Here's mine:
The Ice Cream Man
This douche-nozzle in a new BMW driving down a residential street, sees an ice cream truck with its turn signal on, signaling intent to pull out away from the curb. The BMW speeds up and cuts him off, casting a holier than thou look as he goes by. A block later BMW looks in his mirror to see he is getting pulled over, and he pulls over.

The cop gets out, walks over, asks the man to get out, cuffs and stuffs him and off to jail. The whole way, the man first pleads, then demands, then threatens, lawyers, cop getting fired, etc. The cop just occasionally looks at the man through his aviator glasses in the mirror. He doesn't say a word.

At the jail, the cop tells the jailer, "Rocket cone." and leaves the man standing at the brass bar. The jailer locks him up, and leaves the pit.
A couple of weeks go by, and the man is desperate. Food appears when he falls asleep, but he sees no one. He can hear muffled voices. He shouts, pleads, wails and begs to no avail. No lawyers, he has never been able to call his wife, no visits, nothing.

Six months goes by. Finally the jailer walks in and says, "You are free to go." The man clearly deranged from the ordeal, gushes thanks to the jailer and goes to the window to retrieve his things.

The jailer hands him a set of unfamiliar keys and a white uniform. The man says, "Wait, this isn't mine. Where's my keys, my car...I want to call my wife!" The jailer says, "She divorced you, sold your house and moved out of state. We impounded and sold your car as restitution."
The man starts to break down. "How is this possible?" "No. This isn't real! This is some kind of horrible practical joke!"
"It's no joke." Deadpans the jailer.

"What are these keys?" Asks the man.
The jailer leads him to a steel door and out into a fenced parking lot. He points to the back of the lot and says, "Those are the keys to your new life. We'll be watching out for you."
The man looks to the back of the lot and sees an Ice cream truck.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Ratty wrote:OK kids. We're not really vandals or hooligans. Are we? The internet is forever. That's what they teach us in harassment training every 2 years. From another source I learned not to hang on to anything I don't want to show up on the evidence table. If this thread is being linked to other sites you guys may want to tone it down. Eplayans aren't vigilantes. Personally, I don't care about White Ocean one way or the other. They bring music. They don't show up at my camp eating out of my snack box. It's fun to hate the P&P camps but I don't want the public at large to think we're a bunch of childish A-holes.
Hey Russell said we could get in. I'm just taking him up on his offer to mosey on over and into the VIP lounge behind the DJ booth. It's not like we weren't invited
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 pm

fuck the vigilante-ism, fuck the leaf blowers, fuck the pranks.

let G*d, or Karma, or Bob Dobbs, or Lucifer or whatever diety you worship take care of that shit.

because it will.

it most certainly will.
Frida Be You & Me

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:48 am

Slaphappy wrote:This highest level of disconnect starts and ends with the airport
I know you're in a hurry to march the unterbürners into ovens and all, but please stop laying blame on the airport.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:12 am

I know the airport is used by a lot of real-burner private pilots, but you have to wonder, how many rich non-burner plug & play spectators drive in?
The disconnected Org wants to increase airport use, to dramatically increase spectators who need to rely on plug & plays. That's their idea of the future of Burning Man. Less and less self reliance.
Honestly, how many fly-in people are self reliant?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:24 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
maladroit wrote:a week of destructive gusts bookended by squelching mud and a four-day freeze on travel would solve things for a while.

as you wish.

so shall it be.

the playa listens to your prayers.

it will happen, and when you see it bearing down upon the city, it is then that you will know.
Frida Be You & Me

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:52 am

The Plug N Plays buy a disproportionate amount of the nearly-$1000 pre-sale tickets which, according to the BMOrg, are used to offset somewhat the cost of Low Income tickets. If we put everybody in the lottery, eliminate LI tix, and even the playing field the problem may go a long way to fixing itself.

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:28 am

GreyCoyote wrote:I'm thinking 20 guys, each with a nice new leaf blower, all in a conga line starting from upwind of the camp, advancing in lockstep, led by the Bonerpillar.

What say you guys? :mrgreen:
Yanno, I might even buy a leaf blower just to join in.

And I gave up on Spike Lee after his fourth movie.

Slaphappy
Burning Since: 2015

Post by Slaphappy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:45 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I know the airport is used by a lot of real-burner private pilots, but you have to wonder, how many rich non-burner plug & play spectators drive in?
The disconnected Org wants to increase airport use, to dramatically increase spectators who need to rely on plug & plays. That's their idea of the future of Burning Man. Less and less self reliance.
This.

I have no hatred of airports, but exclusive travel, entry and tourism ALL in complete comfort every second and with no contribution to the actual event - combined with easy access to $1000 tickets - is why we're even discussing this. That's the truth, even if we all love airports. And no, a 50th secluded butler-ed sound camp is not a contribution, it's a marketing schtick to sell tickets and make money off people who very often don't even know what Burning Man is.

Seems to me to solve a problem you need to first understand the problem. The problem is not that these people exist, or that folks want to control or reject the wealthy, or that "I don't like them because they're different or don't fit my narrative". The problem is that THEY FUCK UP THE ENTIRE REASON FOR THE EVENT. We're talking the most entitled of the entitled, throwing trash wherever they want, judging everyone and everything purely by its dollar value, not being inclusive, self-reliant, communal effort-y, participatory, and worst of all just plain ignorant and douchey to try to interact with on even the most basic level. That screenwriter absolutely nailed the problem in the most descriptive, ironic way possible (and he's not even "rich, right now!").

Plug N Plays are EXACTLY what Burning Man attendees were escaping from in the very beginning, and they are exactly what tens of thousands work hard to try to escape from today, at least for a week. And yet they are encouraged to proliferate and make the event less welcoming, clean and rewarding each year. I just don't understand that mindset.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:41 am

Corvus wrote:
GreyCoyote wrote:I'm thinking 20 guys, each with a nice new leaf blower, all in a conga line starting from upwind of the camp, advancing in lockstep, led by the Bonerpillar.

What say you guys? :mrgreen:
Yanno, I might even buy a leaf blower just to join in.

And I gave up on Spike Lee after his fourth movie.
I had a leaf blower out there this year. Used it to clean Ursa every day. Worked great. So I'll have mine at the ready and I can supply power.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:06 am

lets get ugly...

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:29 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:lets get ugly...

image.jpeg
mmm.......Ellie May............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:33 am

Reading this thread I just thought of next year's theme. Animal Farm.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:53 am

Ratty wrote:Reading this thread I just thought of next year's theme. Animal Farm House.
Fixed that for you.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:56 am

Token wrote:
Ratty wrote:Reading this thread I just thought of next year's theme. Animal Farm House Style.
Fixed that for you.
Fixed-fixed

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:06 am

The weather could also easily get just bad/windy enough to ground all the airplanes, letting all of us slobs trundle on out of Gate while the jet set gnaw their fingernails or try to hitch a ride.

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:40 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I know the airport is used by a lot of real-burner private pilots, but you have to wonder, how many rich non-burner plug & play spectators drive in?
I don't change my oil. I don't refine my own gasoline. When a part breaks I don't cut another on a mill. Am I not self reliant enough to drive a car?

The aviators & sailors on an aircraft carrier didn't build the ship, yet something tells me the boat would be nothing without them.

Yes spectators are flying in, but they're coming like it or not. They read in Business Insider about how White Ocean got fucked over. They saw Robot Heart featured in Forbes. The idea they're "ruining the event" is nonsense. I bet when the telegraph or railroad first came to Reno people said the same shit. "LOOK NAOW! A bunch of lace-curtain New York dandies are coming to our mining town?!?! THE SKY IS FALLING!"

If even one, JUST ONE spectator turns burner because they strolled into the right bar at the right time and felt that vibe, then it's worth it.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:54 am

I'm going to be contrary to some. I believe what we need is more invisibility for fancy camps and individuals. That should be accompanied by more orientation to the culture by anonymous volunteering and of course participation. When a fancy individual participates year 2 and beyond, then represents burning man values year around, not destroying the earth or people, that's a good thing. I think there are a few examples. But party for party and opulence for opulence needs to be toned down, because there is no upper limit to that.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

whodareswins
Burning Since: 2005

Post by whodareswins » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:10 pm

I'd like to hear directly from BMORG on how White Ocean Pay n Play members are in line with "Radical Self-Reliance"

1) Flies in on a private jet
2) Has their luggage transported for them to their camp
3) Art Car waiting for them upon arrival
4) Paid staff that: Prepares all food, cleans, provides fresh water, pumps black/grey water

This is only focusing on that principle, but the same question goes for the rest. I understand the effort to expose as many people as possible to Burning Man, for the reasons of spreading the inclusive and open culture we all love. But I can't comprehend how someone, acting only as an observer, who is babied and isolated from entry to exit, can have any hope of experiencing the "real" Burning Man culture that has been driving the event since the beginning. Being more specific, how would these people leave burning man with ANY understanding of the principles?

Either intentionally or unintentionally there has been a path created for individuals to come to Burning Man as pure observers. What steps will the BMORG take to steer us back in the other direction?

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:15 pm

Wrath wrote:
I don't change my oil. I don't refine my own gasoline. When a part breaks I don't cut another on a mill. Am I not self reliant enough to drive a car?

The aviators & sailors on an aircraft carrier didn't build the ship, yet something tells me the boat would be nothing without them.

Yes spectators are flying in, but they're coming like it or not. They read in Business Insider about how White Ocean got fucked over. They saw Robot Heart featured in Forbes. The idea they're "ruining the event" is nonsense. I bet when the telegraph or railroad first came to Reno people said the same shit. "LOOK NAOW! A bunch of lace-curtain New York dandies are coming to our mining town?!?! THE SKY IS FALLING!"

If even one, JUST ONE spectator turns burner because they strolled into the right bar at the right time and felt that vibe, then it's worth it.
I think you're taking the "self-reliant" thing to its illogical conclusion. Of course we're all reliant on all kinds of things just to get to the event. But once we're there, the idea is to build your own shit, take care of your own shit, help others when needed. That's the self-reliance we're talking about. People who fly in and are met at the airport with Segeways or art cars and are transported to camps they had no hand in building, are not self-reliant.

And I disagree, at this point, that all the plug n play nonsense is worth it if just one shiny happy person becomes a burner. I'm not willing to let the event go completely to shit for that.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Slaphappy wrote:Plug N Plays are EXACTLY what Burning Man attendees were escaping from in the very beginning,
What are now called "Plug N Plays" or "turnkey camps" have existed for well over a decade, many of the early ones run by Burners who were there in the very beginning. We did an article on them way back in 2011 ("VIP in BRC"), and most people had no idea they even existed, or that they had been out there for years. They only became an issue after the sell-out, as both regular camps used dues and "special offers" to get people to pay for infrastructure (this included a chunk of Esplanade camps) and as more & more "rich people" wanted to attend. I agree it's out of whack now, I'm realistic enough to know that there's no easy solution to getting the genie back in the bottle. Things don't work that way, sadly.
Dr. Pyro wrote:If we put everybody in the lottery, eliminate LI tix, and even the playing field the problem may go a long way to fixing itself.
I'm hoping by "lottery" you mean the regular sale, and not going back to the pure lottery system that was tried in 2012. That was the proof of Burners never being happy - everyone wanted a completely fair system where everyone had an equal chance, then after the system ran and they discovered they personally didn't get tickets out of it, it was declared the most unfair and biased thing the Org had ever done (up until that point). :roll:
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:50 pm

It seems to me that if you are not aligned with one of three groups (volunteers/workers; wealthy charge me whatever I'm flying in and out; or DGS camp members) it's a crap shoot if you get a ticket or not.

I want to camp on my own or with some neighbors out on the outer rings, contribute in a way that I devise, make something small scale for the front yard, and have a vacation. I do not want to commit to 24 hours or more of work, or camp tent to tent edge in a village, in order to guarantee my return. If that makes me a parasite, then it's time for me to move along, I guess. It has been a great element in my life.

Also, I haven't seen any evidence that this vandalism occurred besides the oft repeated social media letter gone viral. Did it actually happen?
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Wrath wrote:

That's ridiculous. Burning Man doesn't need every single extra "participant" it can get. There's already more than they are allowed to sell tickets for.

And as for not changing your own oil or making parts, in fact I do consider you barely self reliant enough to drive a car out into a remote desert!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:28 pm

maladroit wrote:a week of destructive gusts bookended by squelching mud and a four-day freeze on travel would solve things for a while.

as you wish.

so shall it be.

the playa listens to your prayers.

it will happen, and when you see it bearing down upon the city, it is then that you will know.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Eric wrote:[I'm realistic enough to know that there's no easy solution to getting the genie back in the bottle. Things don't work that way, sadly.
You are correct on that point, no way to turn back time.

The issue though is that the BORG doesn't seem to care one way or another. If someone uses the "Man Image" on a web page the BORG legal team is like SWAT spider monkeys on the offender, but if someone charges big bucks to run an on-playa business ... then whatever.

Doing nothing is just as bad as trying to stuff the genie.

If Pay-n-Play is part of the new reality, why not figure a solution that is less egregious than the status quo?

Could park the Glitterati out by the airport in their own gated guarded community. Keep them out of the way, let them have their paid fun, have them fund something significant.

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:That's ridiculous. Burning Man doesn't need every single extra "participant" it can get. There's already more than they are allowed to sell tickets for.
They don't need to come back. They just need to realize all that glitters is not gold.
And as for not changing your own oil or making parts, in fact I do consider you barely self reliant enough to drive a car out into a remote desert!
More the reason to fly in!

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:15 pm

whodareswins wrote:I understand the effort to expose as many people as possible to Burning Man, for the reasons of spreading the inclusive and open culture we all love. But I can't comprehend how someone, acting only as an observer, who is babied and isolated from entry to exit, can have any hope of experiencing the "real" Burning Man culture that has been driving the event since the beginning. Being more specific, how would these people leave burning man with ANY understanding of the principles?

Either intentionally or unintentionally there has been a path created for individuals to come to Burning Man as pure observers. What steps will the BMORG take to steer us back in the other direction?
Precisely. During the Caravancicle squawk a couple years back, I came up with an analogy. If someone shows up at the base camp of Mount Everest and hires a sherpa to carry him on their back to the summit, he may be able to say he's been to the top of Mount Everest, but can hardly say he's experienced the climb. Likewise the White Oceanists can say they've been to Burning Man, but they have not really experienced TTITD.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:56 am

Frida Be You & Me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:20 pm

Token wrote:The issue though is that the BORG doesn't seem to care one way or another. If someone uses the "Man Image" on a web page the BORG legal team is like SWAT spider monkeys on the offender, but if someone charges big bucks to run an on-playa business ... then whatever.
[mod hat off]

I have no insider knowledge, but I'd bet enough to pay for my own stay in White Ocean that the Org gets a cut from the camps, same as the BLM, under the guise of 'licensing" or some such nonsense. It's allowed because it's profitable, not because they don't care.

Again, I don't know this to be true, this is purely my own opinion, but I can't see a group so fanatic about protecting their mark letting this slide without good reason. Letting camps like White Ocean sell a Burning Man vacation would start to invalidate that trademark, unless there was licensing - which means $$$.

That or I'm starting to think like Simon, which is not a bad thing...

[/mod hat on]
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Philosophical Center”