Burning Man vs BLM on Cost Increases

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Burning Man vs BLM on Cost Increases

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:36 am

This past Spring 2016 Burning Man challenged the BLM in a Department of Interior process over continuously increasing charges which are passed on in the ticket price. That is what the org does behind the scenes on our behalf. The case documents lay out the BLM charges in detail. They also disclose approximate major department on-playa staffing numbers for the first time. Some would be DGS [directed group sales], some would be bring your own ticket - BYOT. Personally I'm thankful for all those staffers, fine with the numbers and fine with the DGS ratio!

https://www.scribd.com/document/3178197 ... Man-appeal and
https://www.scribd.com/document/3178208 ... -to-appeal.

If the BLM wanted to increase their cash in, expanding PnP camps and vendors serving them subject to the now 3% revenue SRP would be an obvious move. (I'm not suggesting that with the PnP camps subject to SRP that they might not need special scrutiny by the BLM and special fluffing by the PnP. No, not me). But if the BLM gets in bed with the PnP, PnP will be difficult to influence in the future. Maybe off-duty BLM providing security/body guard service. Please, no. Burning politics is so complicated.

Discuss.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Re: Burning Man vs BLM on Cost Increases

Postby DoctorIknow » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:41 pm

Take an hour and read the first link.

It's amazing the Burning Man organizers didn't just give up or at least cancel 2016 until the BLM is spanked HARD for their BS.
A huge thanks to them for riding this shitstrorm out for many many years.

Return to “Philosophical Center”