Burning Man THE MOVIE

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Burning Man THE MOVIE

Post by Bless » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:32 pm

I hope Larry holds a private screening after the Man burn
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Bless

Re: Burning Man THE MOVIE

Post by Bless » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:35 pm

I wonder if Paris got a cameo.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 pm

:shock: 8) :evil:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:56 pm

How come they are so clean??? No attempt at costume. Spectating.

It is nonsense like this that has created the "culture problem" that WE are being asked to fix.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DEATHtonic

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:40 am

That's it.

I quit.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:36 am

They had org permission for this.
Sic Semper Spectatores

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:27 pm

It's authorized media shit like this and dumbass decisions like allowing feathers that makes me think that there's something rotten in the land of BRC and that the ranks of the BMORG leadership are ripe for a purging.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by Papa Bear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:45 pm

BBadger wrote:It's authorized media shit like this and dumbass decisions like allowing feathers that makes me think that there's something rotten in the land of BRC and that the ranks of the BMORG leadership are ripe for a purging.
I'm 100% with you on the feathers, but I'm inclined to wait and see how the movie represents the event before I pass judgement.

There have been plenty of documentaries released over the years (such as Beyond Black Rock and Spark) that I've been just fine with. If the portrayal shows respect to what the burn actually is, rather than as just a dusty rave or just an orgy of sin and depravity, then I don't see why I should have more of an issue with a fiction piece set there than I would a documentary.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:08 am

BBadger wrote:It's authorized media shit like this and dumbass decisions like allowing feathers that makes me think that there's something rotten in the land of BRC and that the ranks of the BMORG leadership are ripe for a purging.

Agreed something stinks at the back of the fridge and has been for awhile.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:49 am

http://variety.com/2017/film/festivals/ ... 202029802/
In addition to “Churchill,” the BCN Fest will world premiere “The Girl From The Song,” by Ibai Abad, a romantic road-movie shot at music fest Burning Man. Sold by Film Factory-sold, “Song” marks the feature debut of Abad, an on-the-rise Catalan talent an alum like J.A. Bayona of Barcelona’s Escac film school.
Yeah. This will really help the situation. I really hope the org negotiated for Gross, not Net.
Sic Semper Spectatores

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:08 am

VultureChow wrote:
Yeah. This will really help the situation.
Maybe the approval had something to do with the high class idea of using a classical myth as a plot vehicle? This film could have been set in any number of European EDM festivals. The problem is that this is advertising to every Euro-raver to fly to the DANCE MUSIC FESTIVAL in Nevada.

(Gypsy Flower Power Camp 2014)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:42 am

some seeing eye wrote:The problem is that this is advertising to every Euro-raver to fly to the DANCE MUSIC FESTIVAL in Nevada.
Well, maybe. Keep in mind that the "music fest Burning Man" quote is something a reported wrote, not an actual quote from one of the movie makers.

Given that the mythical location that BRC is standing in for here is the underworld, it's entirely possible that we'll also see some of the harsh and unpleasant sides of the burn as well - major dust storms, camps destroyed by wind, dehydration, asshole behavior, that kind of thing. That might actually help discourage the kinds of folks who just want to go dance their ass off to their favorite DJ and aren't prepared for the rest of it.

Of course, if it just turns out to be all happy PLUR beautiful naked people dance-your-ass-off happy hippy raver show, then yeah, we've got a problem.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:57 pm

trust me.

this year is going to suck.

its going to suck hard.

if this year doesnt discourage the euro trash jet set, then nothing will.

trust the dust.

for dust is from whence we came and it is to dust we all shall go.
Frida Be You & Me

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:06 pm

"...But....But....But.... How does this ruin MY Burn?"

Ha, I still remember when complaining about the sell out was somehow wrong.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

burner von braun

Post by burner von braun » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Ha, I still remember when complaining about the sell out was somehow wrong.

I remember when you tried to alert people to the PnP problems you were sensing, and were later proven right

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Papa Bear wrote:There have been plenty of documentaries released over the years (such as Beyond Black Rock and Spark) that I've been just fine with. If the portrayal shows respect to what the burn actually is, rather than as just a dusty rave or just an orgy of sin and depravity, then I don't see why I should have more of an issue with a fiction piece set there than I would a documentary.
I'm not even sure I even want that.

These videos are basically the same ol' crap: dustless young people in shirtless steam-punk attire (and nowadays feathers) dancing around some flame poofer; a crowd of people lounging around and howling at some awesome sunset; people stretching and hanging out under the sun near some wood or camo-net covered structure and looking at dust clouds; a far-away pan of some people riding their furry bicycles with some boat-shaped MV moving in the background.

We don't need any more "documentaries" on Burning Man, or some fiction showing the oh-so-terrible struggles of youth and love beneath the shadow of the Man. There's no need to convince people that it is something "positive" and not just ravey stuff (which there is a lot of too you know!). It's just free marketing for BMORG, which is no doubt why they allowed it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:19 pm

Burning Man: The Musical

"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:47 am

^-- So good!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:24 am

IMG_4173.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:37 am

BBadger wrote:
Papa Bear wrote:There have been plenty of documentaries released over the years (such as Beyond Black Rock and Spark) that I've been just fine with. If the portrayal shows respect to what the burn actually is, rather than as just a dusty rave or just an orgy of sin and depravity, then I don't see why I should have more of an issue with a fiction piece set there than I would a documentary.
I'm not even sure I even want that.

These videos are basically the same ol' crap: dustless young people in shirtless steam-punk attire (and nowadays feathers) dancing around some flame poofer; a crowd of people lounging around and howling at some awesome sunset; people stretching and hanging out under the sun near some wood or camo-net covered structure and looking at dust clouds; a far-away pan of some people riding their furry bicycles with some boat-shaped MV moving in the background.

We don't need any more "documentaries" on Burning Man, or some fiction showing the oh-so-terrible struggles of youth and love beneath the shadow of the Man. There's no need to convince people that it is something "positive" and not just ravey stuff (which there is a lot of too you know!). It's just free marketing for BMORG, which is no doubt why they allowed it.
+100
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Papa Bear

Post by Papa Bear » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:30 am

BBadger wrote:
These videos are basically the same ol' crap: dustless young people in shirtless steam-punk attire (and nowadays feathers) dancing around some flame poofer; a crowd of people lounging around and howling at some awesome sunset; people stretching and hanging out under the sun near some wood or camo-net covered structure and looking at dust clouds; a far-away pan of some people riding their furry bicycles with some boat-shaped MV moving in the background. .
I think the two films I referenced were more than that, though I do agree that that's a fair description of the average edited video that gets uploaded and shared to youtube or vimeo. So I'm specifically withholding judgment on this film to find out whether it's portrayal is closer to the former than the latter.
There's no need to convince people that it is something "positive" and not just ravey stuff (which there is a lot of too you know!). It's just free marketing for BMORG, which is no doubt why they allowed it.
Oh, there absolutely is ravey stuff, and plenty of "sin and depravity" too. I'm fine with that; it's as much a part of the burn as anything else.

My point was that those are the two views of the burn that tend to get (over) promoted all the time, so I'm hoping the film might show a broader or more interesting perspective. Like I said in a later post, if Black Rock City is standing in for the underworld, I'm hoping that means we'll see some of the unpleasant or more challenging stuff that is also a part of the fabric of the event.

I'm not looking for "positive" (at least, as most of the wider culture would understand it), I'm looking for something more expansive that might speak to the kind of people crazy enough to go out into a hostile environment and create stuff, and yet give pause to the people who are just looking to dance to their favorite DJ or do drugs and get laid - again, not because there's anything wrong with that, but because if that's *all* you're interested in there are far cheaper and easier ways to do it.

As for the "free marketing", I've been under the impression for years that the org has routinely rebuffed people who wanted to use the burn as the backdrop for TV shows, movies, etcetera. They've made an exception for this one. So I'm curious about whether there is something about this script or the approach of these filmmakers that made the difference.

Is it possible I'll be disappointed? Yes. Is it *probable* I'll be disappointed? That seems likely too. But that still leaves a possibility that the movie will surprise me in a pleasant way, so given that none of it is in my power to control anyway, I'm going to save my outrage until I see that it is actually deserved.

A-RockLeFrench
Camp Name: DEATHtonic

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:04 am

Save your outrage then if that's what suits you. You might be pleasantly surprised as many burners were when they found out that the BMORG had in fact colluded with the famous asshole camp of 2014.

You might be pleasantly surprised when you get an email directly from BMORG asking for a financial contribution to their non-profit after spending countless hours and dollars bringing a big ass piece of art to their event.

You might be pleasantly surprised when you see on your social media that a hot issue of discussion at the GLC is the rise of spectator culture at the event and what can the camp and project leaders do to help 'acculturate' virgins. You may be pleasantly surprised to see blog posts directly asking the community to address these issues while the fearless leaders scratch their heads trying to figure out why this problem exists.

And then you might be pleasantly surprised to see a trailer for a sappy-ass romantic drama (with commercial intent) filmed at an event that claims to be decommodified.

Or not. Whatever.

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:38 am

A-RockLeFrench wrote: You might be pleasantly surprised when you see on your social media that a hot issue of discussion at the GLC is the rise of spectator culture at the event and what can the camp and project leaders do to help 'acculturate' virgins. You may be pleasantly surprised to see blog posts directly asking the community to address these issues while the fearless leaders scratch their heads trying to figure out why this problem exists.

And then you might be pleasantly surprised to see a trailer for a sappy-ass romantic drama (with commercial intent) filmed at an event that claims to be decommodified.

Or not. Whatever.

Truth.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:52 pm

BBadger wrote:
These videos are basically the same ol' crap.........
a far-away pan of some people riding their furry bicycles with some boat-shaped MV moving in the background.
I resemble that remark
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Tue May 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Jesus Christ, they really just don't care anymore. The point of trademarking Burning Man and BRC was to PREVENT its use in media. But now its just about approval. Plus the movie looks like pure shite.

Return to “Philosophical Center”