Next Directions for Burning Man

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Next Directions for Burning Man

Postby Ano » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 pm

The passengers on the Burner Air Express are specifically targeted for "Burning Man 101" with a review of the principals before being let in to the event. Food for thought....

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Now that's ironic. The people that are doing the most to enable non-self-reliant spectators schooling others about those apparently useless principles.
I'm sure their plug & play camp has a little presentation about it when they get there too.

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:52 am

maladroit wrote:

Or someone who makes really good sandwiches.

the event needs more teagan's!

lmao

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Postby forty_eight » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 am

Token wrote:
forty_eight wrote:
Camping isn't hard, though!

I'll bet good money that 70% of the US population wouldn't know how to take a shit in the woods without googling it first.

I'd pay even more for a legit pollster to ask that question in a national stage :twisted:

based on porto behavior, 70% is probably low!

i mean portos are pretty much actual toilets

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:12 am

No, I reached 70% with deep thought and consideration.

Less than 20% of the US lives rural. Us rural folks know how bears go in the woods. It's a reality every now and again. Shit happens.

I'm figuring another 10% that went urban from rural still have the knowhow, plus folks that served in the military and whatnot.

Hence, I'm thinking 70% is a decent estimate.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:34 am

What percentage of the US population has wiped with a wad of deer moss or a handful of snow? How do we get these people to the playa, and even more important, how do we ensure they have enough moss, leaves, and snow to do the deed? You can probably put snow in the porta potty (in small quantities) but moss and leaves are probably not approved. How are these survivalists going to use their survival knowledge to navigate the rough porta-potty environment of the playa with all these restrictions?

To solve these problems I'm announcing my new camp: Bear Pope's No-TP Really Prepared Survivor Camp. For a nominal fee, we'll import all sorts of backwoods buttwipe materials for lusty adventurers to Survive Better Than You through the timeless ritual of not wiping with toilet paper. We'll provide a live natural forest of potted trees to shit in, and refresh the leaf litter on our poop tarp between each customer. Three times during the week we'll give talks about sustainable (and manly) pooping techniques, followed by a craft hour where you create your own shot glass from a hollowed out squirrel pelvis. Don't miss our Hurricane Of Squirrels, where 100 squirrels are released in a sealed phone booth and you get to eat as many as you can catch!

Letting people show off playa-irrelevant survival techniques on the playa since 2020! (this will take some time to set up)

Token

Postby Token » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:53 am

Mullein

God's gift to sore ass.

Verbascum thapsus

Astringent and emollient extraordinaire.

Silky smooth (beware, the little hairs are directional, always pay attention when using)

Wide distribution throughout the World.

Flower head can be used for making torches.

Token

Postby Token » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:59 am

maladroit wrote:Bear Pope's No-TP Really Prepared Survivor Camp.

You shall from henceforth be known as the

Groom of the Stool

The Groom of the Stool (formally styled: "Groom of the King's Close Stool") was the most intimate of an English monarch's courtiers, responsible for assisting the king in excretion and ablution.

vargaso
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vargaso » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:34 am

Token wrote:
maladroit wrote:Bear Pope's No-TP Really Prepared Survivor Camp.

You shall from henceforth be known as the

Groom of the Stool

The Groom of the Stool (formally styled: "Groom of the King's Close Stool") was the most intimate of an English monarch's courtiers, responsible for assisting the king in excretion and ablution.

Thank you for the internet rabbit hole I just emerged from.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Some of what the BLM was concerned about in 2017 (SRP additions):
https://eplanning.blm.gov//epl-front-of ... chment.pdf

2018?

Under the presidential change, the Interior Secretary, BLM director and http://www.rgj.com/story/life/arts/burn ... /95393576/ are all new in 2017.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

global village idiot
Burning Since: 2018

Postby global village idiot » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:30 pm

So I'm sitting here reading this discussion and thinking to myself...
o I'm starting planning now for 2018
o My friend and I have read all the required reading and have spent a couple hours over several days discussing it and our plans
o Said friend is doing her own planning which, as a career Soldier, I find VERY impressive
o We intend - and are perfectly capable of being - completely self-sufficient for the entire event
o We have Primary, Alternate, Contingency and Emergency capability plugged into our event planning
o We both have experience camping for long periods of time and the only disagreements we're having concern different approaches which are equally valid
o We're both comfortable in desert environments - she lives in Las Vegas, I've done tours in Iraq and a couple NTC rotations
o We're both completely ignorant of "theme camps" and I didn't think there was RV septic pumping on site
o I dunno about her, but I didn't expect ice until I read it on the event website.
o I've reached out to the BRC post office to see if they want my help - Postal is what I did in Iraq (I'm not a "high-speed" Soldier)

I knew there were people who didn't have this level of involvement but y'all make it sound like the majority of attendees "phone it in."

Are people who set about it like my friend and I in the minority? And if we are, is our effort wasted?

TIA,
gvi

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Check in with the 3o'clock Post office.

No, you're doing it right.

Theme Camps can be fun, find one (3PO?) that works for you.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token

Postby Token » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:15 pm

GVI, you are going about it the right way. Prepare for the worst then marvel at the delights.

Btw, the BRC post office is not really the same as a USPS office. It is a satire/parody/tragedy run entirely by volunteers.

And a special note on EPlaya since you are military service ...

EPlaya is full of snark, idioms, allegories, metaphors, BM specific slang lore and legend. You will not get reliable literal comms like they got in the service.

Useful info will be mixed in with fun banter and thread drift. Be prepared to do some interpretations.

Also, part of How BM became is the old Cacophony Society and Suicide Club. There are a LOT of practical jokes, guided misdirection, culture jamming. Don’t take it personally when you get hit by funny.

gaminwench

Postby gaminwench » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42 pm

^ Says him. :shock:

There is useful info here, too. 8)

Sham

Postby Sham » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:58 am

gaminwench wrote:^ Says him. :shock:

There is useful info here, too. 8)

You can believe Gaminwench and Token. Believe me!

global village idiot

Postby global village idiot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:57 am

EPlaya is full of snark, idioms, allegories, metaphors, BM specific slang lore and legend. You will not get reliable literal comms like they got in the service.

You mean I might get sent for a box of grid squares, 100' of flight line, chem-light batteries, canopy-light batteries, a can of prop wash or blinker fluid or squelch grease, or to get an exhaust sample?

Might be my first Burning Man, but not quite my first rodeo....

:twisted:

gvi

p.s. Straight up no bullshit - is the 3:00 post office the one that handles any actual mail? Because the BRC post office says they might have to handle USPS mail as well.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:07 am

LOL, I was Navy, so relative bearing grease and skyhooks here.

Yes, there is a real post office which needs volunteers all the time. My real mailbox was stolen this year, so I am heartbroken.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:22 am

A can of prop wash lol... :)

global village idiot

Postby global village idiot » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:08 am

"Relative bearing grease."

That's a new one - love it!

gvi

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:37 pm

GVI, you are doing it extremely right. You are in the minority.

100' of flight line.....LOL....That's awesome!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

gaminwench

Postby gaminwench » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Yes, BRC3PO does actual mail service.

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:38 pm

Terbo Ted is trolling hard, saying PnP camps are great: https://journal.burningman.org/2017/09/ ... year-ever/

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:18 pm

I have a different view than many I've heard here, no personal offense. I believe in more person to person publicity and invitation to the event in the ticket system (like it was in the early days) and more person to person preparation, orientation and on-playa guidance (like it was in the early days).

We (I) certainly are not party to all the proprietary information the BORG has or their discussions on what to change each year.

My wild ass guess is that because expenses go up each year, for inflation, greed, departments planning improvements, a variety of reasons, that the number of attendees, the ticket price, or the ticket tiers have to go up. There is also an additional expense item for the international expansion, staff expansion and the conferences.

Therefore to make the financials work, the event is dependent of a steady flow of eager virgins (28000 in 2016 Census). The international attendees feed the international regional expansion (~9000, 14000 with Canada). The regionals are a backup for when the Nevada regional is canceled.

The Burner x Bus-Air is to allow the event to expand above 70,000 while keeping exodus times reasonable for the 1000 vehicles per hour on 447 S as required by Nevada State Patrol.

Fortunately the economy in on the upswing and the art aspect of the event is relatively healthy.

The regionals by most accounts are healthy and represent the culture without many main burn problems. They are much smaller.

The BLM and Org have a huge amount of new operations/contingency plan work to do, on top of the next 5 year SRP and EIS with population caps. No doubt there are plans on paper to get to higher numbers.

Maybe there will be a 5-10000 person executive burn on Hualapai someday. But hard to imagine how it could be organic.

Unfortunately more transportation self reliance (eliminate air/bus) works against exodus times and increasing the population. Increasing the population is the only way to make the financials work. And solo camping works against socialization.

It's not clear to me how to design a soft landing from all that into a grumpy unicorn utopia as compared to a path of more of the same.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Paperman
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: EBB and Glow

Postby Paperman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:05 am

Hey folks, great discussion. Didn't I used to see " No Spectators " signs in the past. 5th Burn and had a good time. Didn't see as much art as I would like. Didn't go down one street and really find much, this surprised me. Had great interactions with folks every 20 mins the whole event. I'm never going to rely on some one else for shelter, water,food etc. Makes no sense to. AEZ is free from generators BTW. Going to need to make alot of art for next year. A Camp with a beautiful street presence. modular , like each campmate adds to the art theme. And more than one piece out on the playa. The Salt flat and the dust are a supreme canvas for art. It's been very hard to make and deliver art there. This continues to surprise me, but I think I have it worked out for next yr. But maybe I'll attend a regional ? I'm deeply attached to making and teaching art in my life. Trying not to get too attached to this event. So far so good. I think of it as a physicle and mental work out. A continum. So I'm designing tonight.
I have a new wicked paper texture try out. A supreme canvas for art. The clouds were child like this yr. Good Luck , Paperman

Return to “Philosophical Center”