Interacting with official misinformation?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Interacting with official misinformation?

Post by sparr » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:06 pm

If someone deployed an art project designed around misinformation, such as wrong directional signs, I would enjoy modifying it and think that would be welcome within BRC.

I am a bit fuzzier on what happens when it's an official thing instead of an art project. Are there guidelines for modifying or taking down things like the "BMIR camp has wifi" flyers that were placed at the plazas this year?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Interacting with official misinformation?

Post by Bless » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 am

Please don't remove or "modify" someone's art... official or not.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:24 am

There's a difference between "interacting with" and "vandalizing". You seem to be talking about vandalizing.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:16 am

Is it removing art if you remove the postit from your back with the message "Kick me"?

I can imagine some people getting tired of the question for the WIFI password, where the insistent do not take no far an answer.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:25 am

Traveller in Time wrote:Is it removing art if you remove the postit from your back with the message "Kick me"?
Irrelevant example.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:31 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:Irrelevant example.
Human VCR
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Where EXACTLY are you on the spectrum, Clarence?

I'm only asking for a friend, six mods, 42 campmates and 72,000 participants with torches and pitchforks.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

sparr

Post by sparr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:12 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:There's a difference between "interacting with" and "vandalizing". You seem to be talking about vandalizing.
Sure, in a similar way that converting "Smoking Area" signs to "Smoking Hot Area" signs is vandalism...
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

sparr

Post by sparr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:06 pm

I've received word that these flyers were a prank from Media Mecca aimed at BMIR, probably not actually designed as a prank on us regular folks at all.

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:47 am

sparr wrote:
Admiral Fukkit wrote:There's a difference between "interacting with" and "vandalizing". You seem to be talking about vandalizing.
Sure, in a similar way that converting "Smoking Area" signs to "Smoking Hot Area" signs is vandalism...
Clearly, you haven't gotten the memo. IT'S FUCKING BURNING MAN. People like to misinform. It's part of the event.

I'm glad you empathize with all those poor folks at BMIR who had to field incessant questions about nonexistent wifi... but you shouldn't care.

Stop worrying about other people, and enjoy your fucking burn.

If there's a genuine safety risk, like someone mislabeling draino "WATER," okay. But, harmless pranks are part of the fabric of the event.

Like yelling out that the Man is going to burn early, on Wednesday. Or that you-know-who is playing at the Trash Fence.

Get over yourself, man.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 am

It's worse than just this... Rumor has it that some of those people instigating misinformation pranks also had a few parties during early arrival!!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:14 am

And they brought a Zorb and didn't share.

FKO's every last one of them.

The villainy is strong it seems.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:13 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:It's worse than just this... Rumor has it that some of those people instigating misinformation pranks also had a few parties during early arrival!!
Oh, the HORROR! :mrgreen:

Did you guys see the "art" in the JOTS? They constantly misrepresent the relative sizes of the human reproductive organs!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:31 am

Bless wrote:Like yelling out that the Man is going to burn early, on Wednesday. Or that you-know-who is playing at the Trash Fence.
How would you feel about someone who missed the man or temple burn because they got official info that it was happening later? Just want to see how far your dedication to the sanctity of misinformation goes.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:43 am

sparr wrote:
Bless wrote:Like yelling out that the Man is going to burn early, on Wednesday. Or that you-know-who is playing at the Trash Fence.
How would you feel about someone who missed the man or temple burn because they got official info that it was happening later? Just want to see how far your dedication to the sanctity of misinformation goes.
I'd be inclined to tell them the word "gullible" isnt in the dictionary. Look it up.
(A Beautiful Mind)

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 am

Sparr wrote:some nonsense about someone actually missing the Burn because they believed "official" information that it was happening later
GreyCoyote wrote: I'd be inclined to tell them the word "gullible" isnt in the dictionary. Look it up.
Our fictional Burn-missing fool wouldn't get that either.
Last edited by Admiral Fukkit on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:13 am

He's too self-abZORBed chasing offenders with his clipboard and issueing consent violations.
(A Beautiful Mind)

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:24 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:
Sparr wrote:some nonsense about someone actually missing the Burn because they believed "official" information that it was happening later
I missed the [start of the] temple burn this year due to a dozen non-official people telling me it happened on the same schedule as the man burn. If that had been disseminated from an official source, it would have caught a lot more people than just me.

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:34 am

Would it....

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:47 am

sparr wrote:I missed the [start of the] temple burn this year due to a dozen non-official people telling me it happened on the same schedule as the man burn. If that had been disseminated from an official source, it would have caught a lot more people than just me.
I'm betting these people were (or have) camped with you.

You really should get that problem treated...
(A Beautiful Mind)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:28 pm

No matter how many times you go, you simply will not get it.

The more you try to compartmentalize BM into how your noggin works, the worse it's gonna get.

Just let go of the OCD for a week and say fuckit, it's supposed to be like a bad acid trip.

Sheesh.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 pm

sparr wrote:
Admiral Fukkit wrote:
I missed the [start of the] temple burn this year due to a dozen non-official people telling me it happened on the same schedule as the man burn. If that had been disseminated from an official source, it would have caught a lot more people than just me.
You sir are an idiot. Good day!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:45 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:
sparr wrote:I missed the [start of the] temple burn this year due to a dozen non-official people telling me it happened on the same schedule as the man burn. If that had been disseminated from an official source, it would have caught a lot more people than just me.
You sir are an idiot. Good day!
Can you clarify, does going to see the temple burn when people told me it would burn make me an idiot? Or are you reacting to my prediction that more people would miss it if that info came from an official/central source?

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:05 pm

The Farce is strong in this one.
(A Beautiful Mind)

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:02 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:The Farce is strong in this one.
This is not the noid you are looking for. Move along.

I see lips moving but hear no sounds.

Thank you Foe list.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

sparr

Post by sparr » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:31 pm

To clarify, I don't usually attend the man or temple burns. This year I had a virgin in tow who wanted to see them, so I put some effort into finding out when they would be happening.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:34 pm

sparr wrote:To clarify, I don't usually attend the man or temple burns. This year I had a virgin in tow who wanted to see them, so I put some effort into finding out when they would be happening.
Wow. Thats SO cool. I mean... just WOW! (-swoon-)

Can we stipulate the concept of "snark" is something you didnt teach him/her?

Well done. Yes. Curate another burn, please!
(A Beautiful Mind)

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 pm

The guy who singularly "gets it" the least, mentoring new Burners...

Look here's the deal on the man and temple burns. You go out late afternoon. Period. Regardless of any so-called schedule, they will burn sometime after it gets dark. Just be there.

That is literally ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.
You cannot go OCD and think it's going to be on any god damn schedule. It's ALWAYS been on "playa time". It'll get lit when they feel the time is right, based on the conditions at the time.
Just get your ass out there late afternoon.

Copy that?

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:04 pm

No. There must be schedules, and questions, and answers, and tests, some checks and balances, and gnashing of teeth. This must occur before the evaluation phase can commence and the credibility factors considered.

Then comes the stupid questions on eplaya...

I so miss the Good Ol' Zorb days, back when this degree of clueless was actually kinda funny.
(A Beautiful Mind)

Admiral Fukkit

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:15 pm

If you really want to get the real scoop without all the BS burning man misinformation, here's an insider's source you might be interested in:

http://www.theonion.com

Return to “Philosophical Center”