New and Improved 2017 Black Rock City Census

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Picky
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Black Rock City Census

New and Improved 2017 Black Rock City Census

Postby Picky » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Hey everyone! Your 2017 Black Rock City Census is live! It is likely to be open until around mid-October, but why not fill it out now, before you forget?

Each year, there are a couple of community concerns that pop up around the Census. We made a point to address a few of these this year. We hope you appreciate these changes, and will help us increase survey participation in 2017.

First, not being able to fill it out in more than one sitting. This year, there is an option when you finish a section to select "Save and Continue later." The survey has three sections, and each takes about 10-15 minutes. When you finish a section, you can choose to save your answers and continue later. Survey Gizmo will send you an email link (don't share it!) that is just for you, so you can continue on with the next section.

Second, the length. The Save and Continue option will help you there, if you just don't have time to finish it in one sitting. We have also reduced the number of questions on this year's survey. And finally, part of our outreach push this year was to let people know that some data are better than no data. One more time - Some data are better than no data.

That's right! While we appreciate it if you finish all three parts of the survey, it's not mandatory! If you just want to provide some basic demographic information, fill out section 1. This section is the most critical to our methodology. Then, if you have another 10 minutes and want to gift more data, fill out section 2. And if you have another chunk of time, the researchers we collaborate with would love for you to finish section 3 as well.

Thanks, all!

Picky

Re: New and Improved 2017 Black Rock City Census

Postby Picky » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi all! Someone asked a great question over messaging, and I thought I would reply here since I'm sure others have been wondering the same thing.

"Why's the survey so long?"

While we have done a little bit of culling this year to make the survey shorter than previous years', we understand it is still lengthy. I mentioned in my last post that there are three sections, and if you really don't have time to do it all, do as much as you want to, and then hit the "Save and continue later" button at the end of the section. Boom, you're done. Some data are better than no data.

The first section is the most important, methodologically speaking. The demographic questions are how we weight the survey so it is representative of the city as a whole. If you fill out only this section, you are still giving a fantastic gift back to your community. This section takes about 10 minutes.

The second section comprises the question sets that other departments in the Organization want to know. TSA wants to know how you deal with your trash and grey water. BMIR wants to know how often you tune in, and whether their outreach efforts are effective. The Org wants to know how much money you spend in Nevada so they can successfully lobby for the event when they head up to the County and State lawmakers' offices. Giving us this data is also fantastic. This section takes about 15 minutes.

The final section comprises the question sets that come from the outside researchers that the BRC Census works with. We think - and lots of other Burning Nerd researchers out there agree - that we are a unique population worthy of study and understanding. We establish relationships with researchers - many of whom are Burners themselves - who have interesting questions about our experiences at the event. To what extent do we have transformative experiences? What kinds of social and sexual relationships do we forge with people we meet on playa? These question sets change every year (or every few years). If you'd like to know more about who the Census is working with right now, read all about it in theCensus researchers Journal story. This section of the survey is inevitably the longest, but also potentially the most immediately worthwhile for you as a participant. It's a great way to relive and reflect on your time in the city this past year, if you're missing the playa. It takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes to fill out, depending on the level of detail you provide.

If you choose to participate, thank you! The BRC Census wouldn't be possible without Burners like you. *hearteyes*

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:13 am

The Census team and brass really need to split up the event relevant part from the various science projects.

It’s kind of lame to bundle them together.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:32 pm

It is hard to imagine BRC before the census though I was there.

Is it perfect? No. Is is essential for understanding where we have been, where we are, where we can go? Yes.

It takes burners very little time to participate and the Census group provides an essential service at almost zero cost to the org and tickets.

We all form mental models of the event as we participate. Supplementing with the Census data improves that model.

A 10-25-40 to 60ish minute survey of a 192 hour event + transport and planning? A-OK! More participant research and more qualitative research? Yes. More public ticket stats, welcome too.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Postby Traveller in Time » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Vehicle Gate count during the event?

Just to interpretate Gate and Exodus times :D
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

Popeye

Postby Popeye » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:14 pm

Traveller in Time wrote:Vehicle Gate count during the event?

Just to interpretate Gate and Exodus times :D

If a vehicle count exists that would come from Gate. I know they keep a person (ticket) count but I don't know about a vehicle count. Census does not keep either a vehicle or person count.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Token wrote:The Census team and brass really need to split up the event relevant part from the various science projects.

I'm glad in the above posts they said it's OK to skip stuff.....I had to quit when I felt like I was in a therapists office.

Picky

Postby Picky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Token wrote:The Census team and brass really need to split up the event relevant part from the various science projects.

...they are split?

Sections 1 and 2 are the methodology and event relevant sections, and section 3 is the outside researchers' questions. (That's what my earlier explanations had meant to explain.)

You're welcome to skip section 3 of you don't want to volunteer that extra data.

Picky

Postby Picky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Traveller in Time wrote:Vehicle Gate count during the event?

There'll definitely be information about the number of people who arrive and leave each day in the final population report, but Popeye's right - Census only counts vehicles for the purposes of random selection during our shifts. If there is an event-duration count of vehicles, that information would be with Gate.

Picky

Postby Picky » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:32 pm

some seeing eye wrote:We all form mental models of the event as we participate. Supplementing with the Census data improves that model.

Yes!

The theme of the center camp cafe speaker series this year was "break your frame" - all about how people can examine critically the ways they understand, evaluate, and interact with the world. Census held a panel at the cafe, and we used brc census data to "bust myths" about burgins, which is a group of burners we all think we know a lot about. It was just one example of the ways we hope our data are used to help build more accurate mental models of what the event is and who attends.

If anyone here is interested in doing any cool analysis for a paper or just for fun, feel free to reach out!

Return to “Philosophical Center”