Who is Terbo Ted? Should workers get paid for running camps on the playa?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Who is Terbo Ted? Should workers get paid for running camps on the playa?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Plain and simple, anyone who pays any camp to provide for them rather than showing up 100% self sufficient is one of the people who screws the whole thing up.
Anyone who provides for others so that they can show up unprepared is just as much of the problem.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:40 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Plain and simple, anyone who pays any camp to provide for them rather than showing up 100% self sufficient is one of the people who screws the whole thing up.
Anyone who provides for others so that they can show up unprepared is just as much of the problem.
It all starts with an attractive person not knowing how to set up a camp, and someone who wants them to be there anyway.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 pm

maladroit wrote:
JohnEBGud wrote:
some seeing eye wrote:I think there is a continuum of camps with dues to camps with megadues. I'm all for any camp with dues opening their books to their campers.
Exactly so. Both ends of the spectrum provide amenities for a price - it's just a matter of degree.
I disagree with it being a continuum, a spectrum along which all camps that collect dues reside. There is a dividing line, and I think that is self sufficiency. If you are paying dues to a camp and you would be stranded without enough food, water, or shelter if the camp vanished, then that has crossed the line into commodification.
I think ^ is seeking absolute black and white categories. I disagree with absolute categories to solve hard problems involving people.

Many to most veteran ePlayans camp in camps where they trust some things are going to be there. Many of the department infrastructure camps are the same.

I think the current PnP started as a direct outgrowth of camps with dues that simply got more ostentatious and gathered more wealthy people who had less free time. It then morphed into the professional festival camp dragon with Fest300/Everfest (whose Series A was co-led by Live Nation) and the like. It's likely many of the PnP camp managers came from that earlier era. In fact, maybe the journal post writer is angling for such a position.

The event has growing pains. What specifically are we going to change? I've been proposing more socialization of virgins - ahead and on-playa, increasing the yield of first to second and beyond year participants by how tickets are allocated & the event promoted, and joining burner puppies with experienced camps.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Where’s My Fucking Gift!

The gift economy ruined Burned Man. Like most dot-com creations they couldn’t monetize it.

Now they gotta scramble and make up for it.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:29 pm

Token wrote: The gift economy ruined Burned Man. Like most dot-com creations they couldn’t monetize it.

Now they gotta scramble and make up for it.
Not only monetize, but scale worldwide, while diversifying in case the Nevada regional is canceled for any number of reasons! :(

Pretty complex set of moves for a $40-45M operation.

Then there's
Last edited by some seeing eye on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:34 pm

maladroit wrote:
It all starts with an attractive person not knowing how to set up a camp, and someone who wants them to be there anyway.
My brother used to be the manager and doorman of the Rainbow on Sunset, for those of you not from the US west coast, that was THE L.A. rock star hang out back in the day. I used to work the door with him sometimes, this was back in the '80s.
The rule was, HOT women got in free. Ugly ones paid cover. Hot or "Somebody" guys paid cover, ugly "nobody" guys just didn't get in.

That's kind of the law of the modern jungle.
Last edited by Captain Goddammit on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:35 pm

Token wrote:Equating it to homeless and the system that produces them is huge miss. BM is a luxury, mental illness and a broken justice system are a disease.
My intention was to say that when you see something isn't right it's perfectly reasonable to try to fix it. I'm not saying that my party in the desert losing the shiny twinkle it had when I started going is the same as institutionalized racism and an economic system that replaced slavery with working class poverty..... I'm just saying that we don't need to give up when we see something broken in the world.
It was better next year. -Burners

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Token wrote: Image
Oh, and we named my favorite virgin this year Cabana Boy. During the heat of the day during strike when the whole camp was hiding in the last piece of shade that hasn't been taken down yet, trying to avoid getting heat stroke he was going around offering us pieces of cold fruit and vegetables. I like Cabana Boy.
It was better next year. -Burners

Token

Post by Token » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:51 pm

All things being equal, Cabana Boy is not that bad for a playa name. One can own a name like that and have fun.

Yes, there is a big difference between history and nostalgia. History helps us solve the now.

capnjonny
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Nose Fish this year

Post by capnjonny » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 am

2017 was my semi virgin year at BM.

Our camp was near 6 and d.

20 souls and no power this year.

We made do with solar led light strings at the "curb" and solar spot lights inside our shade structure. Some(me) got there on Wednesday , some on Thursday, some not till the following Tuesday. Everyone pitched in to some extent and our coffee service and Bike repair were big hits among the Citizens of Black Rock.

Next to us when I got there was a HUGE empty space and 3-4 guys who got there at 6 am Wednesday to start setting up infrastructure for what was to be a plug and play camp. They erected an extensive shade structure, corral for 150 bicycles and a camp kitchen.

We waited with anticipation and a little dread to see what and who was going to show up. The prepers told us the camp was going to serve hot dogs to the masses. Yum yum

Thurs. nothing
Fri
Sat
Sun
Mon. No body showed up.

Tuesday the buses rolled in and soon there were tents filling the entire space.

No one from that camp came by to say hello
No hot dogs were ever served
no interaction at all.

Next to us on the other side was a camp of about 15 people. When the first member of their camp arrived he came over to our camp to say high. This included mooning us and acting pretty gay aggressive(but friendly ). Their first night one of their members set up a big gas gen set to keep his 30 ft trailer air con running making it hard for us to sleep.

The next morning I went over to ask them if maybe they could move the 3'x3' plywood baffle they had resting on one side of the Gen and bouncing all the noise in our direction toward us to the other side so the noise would be directed away from our camp.

The camp mate I asked laughed and said that they would do better than that and would move the gen to the other side of the camp.
He agreed that it was annoying. It had kept their camp up half the night as well.

later in the week Their camp invited us to a pig roast. They did a whole pig buried in coals in a specially made above ground box.
We brought a couple bottles of hooch and had a great time swapping lies. I think I would rather have those guys for neighbors than the nameless faceless members of the plug and play camp on the other side.

My favorite thing to do at BM is to cruise around meeting people. One day I stopped in to say hello to some folks at the LAF camp sitting out watching the street. It turned out one of them was part Inuit. We had a great conversation and she gave me a necklace as a gift.

I also remember riding down streets that were seemingly completely devoid of life , with darkened Motor homes lining the street and a sinister feeling, like Jack the Ripper was hiding in the shadows waiting for some unsuspecting Sparkle Pony to ride by .

I am only a recent Burner and can't speak to what it was like " back in the day" but I can say that I much prefer it to be a place where strangers can stop by for a chat rather than a place where "outsiders" are not welcome.

One last story ( promise)

Last year some of us were sitting in our shade structure when a young man came over to us and asked if anyone would like a cup of espresso coffee. The three women sitting with me said of course and the young stranger proceeded to take out of his back pack a gas powered espresso maker and 3 cups. He brewed up the coffee and handed each of them a cup. When they were done he carefully cleaned the cups, put everything away, and, saying good by, was on his way.

For me, that is the essence of Burning Man.

Cap'n Jonny

Token

Post by Token » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:53 pm

That is a swell bunch of stories there Cap’nJ.

Looks like y’all done some good and had some fun.

If you really want the grand community experience, and this BM thing gets to be an addiction, you should for sure try not being in a placed camp and do 9 days in the sticks. It is insanely different in a good way.

When you’re in theme camp land, every camp is a private club, a clique. You know, the popular kids in high school. Sadly, those be our base instincts.

But out in the outskirts of shantytown, that’s where the heartbeat is strongest.

Terbo Ted
Burning Since: 1992

Post by Terbo Ted » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am

171/348 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 am
some seeing eye wrote:What a strange nonsensical post.

The whole time I was reading it I was thinking, "What a poorly written pile of disjointed crap this is."
I agree with your comment about 'disjointed'. I also agreed to let the org publish a heavily edited, redacted and truncated version of my original story. What was presented was obviously narrow in focus and was buried heavily in the site. The story was never included in an outgoing jackrabbit speaks email and this bit of writing never appeared prominently in the org's site navigation. Obviously, what was presented of my writings by the org was not well received, I agree.

If you have any interest in reading what I actually wrote instead of what appeared on the org website, it is on my website terboted.com, the exact link is here:
http://terboted.com/pdf/2017%20Hottest% ... 20Ever.pdf

Guard Dawg
Burning Since: 2019

Post by Guard Dawg » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:19 pm

IMHO paid, private staff should not be permitted.
Be who you are, say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind—Dr. Suess

Return to “Philosophical Center”