Now that I've been to Burning Man...

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
DragonSandor
Burning Since: 2017

Now that I've been to Burning Man...

Postby DragonSandor » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:52 pm

People have been calling me a burner for years. Many have called me an honorary burner because of how I live my life, how I see the world, how I treat others, and how I am just me. Kindly accepted. I've spent many years around this community up and down California but, NOW THAT I'VE BEEN TO BURNING MAN in 2017... let's see if I can create what I'm actually looking for the next and subsequent times around =)

Hello people of the playa and those whom I love interacting with the most on this planet! I am a kind soul with lots of love to share especially with those who enjoy it the most. I am a creative and passionate artist, not in the traditional sense, but in every other way. I am also the deepest thinker I know and it can get lonely at times when I cannot articulate my thoughts well enough for others to connect which is why I am here, to find those who share those deepest feelings I have where only a gaze and a smile and many nods of "yes" can best communicate, "I understand you." I am a doer, a creator, a manifestor, a dreamer, a believer, a wanderlust, a romantic, and of course a lover. Where are you beautiful kindred souls?!

My first experience of the burn was... an experience. I was helping to build a camp on the Esplanade. The second day building, I recognized the frustration and heat getting to the team so I dropped an "I love you" bomb on them. Crickets.... My heart sank. Was I having a nightmare and this really wasn't Burning Man? Let's just shrug that off! The camp was huge. I only met about 50 people of the 250 or so people unfortunately. That was great and creating a "family" before burn week was vital to my experience. I took everything in with a positive perspective because it was my first time. I left the playa with many experiences but my heart was not full. "Burning Man is a hedonistic place" I thought to myself. Where is all the love? I know its there. I know the deep conversations are there. I know the spirituality is there, I just need to put the right effort to find what I am looking for. Okay now that I've been to Burning Man, I know what I need to do to create the experience I want in this little slice of heaven we have created here on Earth. Will you help me friends? I love you...

Sham

Re: Now that I've been to Burning Man...

Postby Sham » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:13 pm

From my perspective, you broke one of the first rules---"don't have expectations".
You envisioned what you thought Burning Man was to be prior to heading to the playa, and it wasn't what your mind expected. Burning Man is a city with some very nice and open people, but it's still a city.
Now that you know the feel and the vibe of the city, you can make year two a very different and positive experience. Your second year will be different than the first, but again, don't have expectations.
You might work on ways for better interactions other than shouting "I love you".

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:10 pm

Welcome!

Looks like you found out that busting your ass in an Esplanade theme camp of 250 people may not be your thing.

Theme camps on Esplanade is where the party at. You won’t find 42 there.

Maybe invest in building a network for 2018 and find a spot that might suit you better.

seven17
Burning Since: 2018

Postby seven17 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:25 pm

I hope our paths cross next year. Next year will be my first time. I am a random hugger and music-sender and giver of kinds words for no reason. I am everything 100 or zero. No middle. I will be going with my Virgo and it will just be the two of us. No huge camp. Just us figuring out that shit. So keep the "I love you's" coming. We will find you I am sure.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:46 pm

DragonSandor, You left something out of your eplaya profile. Your location. Please include where you live. Search out local Burners and help with projects and planning. There is a good chance you can meet with Burners all year and form a real bond. Help with projects. Give up your Saturday or Sunday to build, clean, fabricate, etc....Or, if you want a loving friendship, camp alone and make friends or find a smaller camp. This is where true love is found.

BRC is harsh. This year was too hot. You can always sign up for a volunteer job. A lot of my friends are through working as a Greeter, Center Camp Cafe worker or BRC Census. Just attending doesn't guarantee friends.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

DragonSandor

Postby DragonSandor » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:39 pm

I definitely had some expectations and I know those are nothing but premeditated let-downs. Be that as it may, I wasn't affected by it, just surprised. My experiences at small intimate festivals has spoiled me. I see the burn as a test ground to apply what you know.

I am in the City of Angles, or better yet a top contender for Superficiality City. Yes, I am a little cynical. The honeymoon phase of my relationship with the open minded community is over and I have discovered that there is every kind of person at all festivals including BM. I loathe locking up my bike to use the porto and disappointed by all the pee stains scattered about the playa and how many bikes were left for someone else to take responsibility for. In default world, I thought I could tailor my life to skirt "normal" people and limit my experiences to those fully awake but the burn has reminded me that those people are everywhere and I just have to accept it. Okay great, but I am still going to find myself an intimate little camp where the energy of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Where smiles and love are abound and the experience runs deep.

But, regardless of the honeymoon phase being over, I still found lots of magic on the playa. It's part of my daily life however jaded I have become. Thank you for your comments and the welcomes and allowing me to express myself. As for what I seek? An abundance of the 10 principles.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:50 pm

DragonSandor Come to LA Decom next weekend, stop by Destiny Lounge and say Hi.

Get a look at what the smaller Theme Camps, with local folk, feels like.

Also, FUN!!!

(FWIW, playa wisdom is that during build/strike, LOVE is not what the crew needs; you're gonna need some pfluffing. That is how one gets smiles out of dusty burners!)
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Token

Postby Token » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:24 pm

DragonSandor wrote:I thought I could tailor my life to skirt "normal" people and limit my experiences to those fully awake but the burn has reminded me that those people are everywhere and I just have to accept it.

Slow down Tiger.

Us normal people who aren’t super-deep thinkers might get a bit miffed, and we are real good with snark.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Um, you're hardly 'normal'. :mrgreen:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:50 am

DragonSandor wrote: As for what I seek? An abundance of the 10 principles.

Well you're about a dozen years too late for that. Not even the Bmorg pretends to follow those little lines of BS, written long after BRC was a big thing.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:34 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Burning Man is what you make it. My partner (who is about 25 years younger than I) have been going for quite a few years now. If you listen to me describing my burn and him describing his, you would think we were at two entirely different events.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm

burning man sucks, don’t come back™
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:33 pm

Yeah, it was a challenging year in many ways.

Sounds like you need something other than an Esplanade super-camp. I've successfully avoided them for a very long time. Back streets is where it is at.

My woke ain't your woke, so there's that.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

DragonSandor

Postby DragonSandor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
DragonSandor wrote: As for what I seek? An abundance of the 10 principles.

Well you're about a dozen years too late for that. Not even the Bmorg pretends to follow those little lines of BS, written long after BRC was a big thing.

I agree with their intent whether or not anyone follows.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Well one of those principles is Radical Self Reliance, yet you joined a big camp of people you don't even know, that I'm going to bet provided your infrastructure for you. Hell I'd never do that.
Why don't you put your money where your mouth is and be your own camp, bring your own stuff, and quit being part of what's ruining Burning Man?

I mean, it's too late, it's already gone away from what it was, but anyone who doesn't show up 100% self contained and prepared as if no one else would show up isn't following those dumb-ass principles.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm

I am moving this discussion over the Philosophic Center, as that appears to where this has headed.
Carry on with the discussion. 8)

Token

Postby Token » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:36 pm

gaminwench wrote:Um, you're hardly 'normal'. :mrgreen:

Why thank You! I try not to color inside the lines.

DragonSandor

Postby DragonSandor » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:48 pm

gaminwench wrote:DragonSandor Come to LA Decom next weekend, stop by Destiny Lounge and say Hi.

Get a look at what the smaller Theme Camps, with local folk, feels like.

Also, FUN!!!

(FWIW, playa wisdom is that during build/strike, LOVE is not what the crew needs; you're gonna need some pfluffing. That is how one gets smiles out of dusty burners!)

Heeeeey here's a kind comment to reply to. Thank you gaminwench. I'll miss LA decom but let's see what happens at Youtopia =)

Noted on the build/strike advice :D

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2015

Postby Perpetual Burn » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Expectations... hardly ever realized. The thrill of life is not knowing what's gonna happen next... I don't know what I imagined the Burn would be like my first year... but by the end, I felt like a giant unicorn rainbow dragon took a shit all over my imagination. Hooked for life.

If you didn't have the raddest time this year, don't worry cause next year will be a completely different experience...

If the big camp game wasn't fun, go the opposite route next year... go solo or with a few close friends with no particular camping destination or expectations in mind... and yeah, often the further from Esplenade the better, the back streets are where the salty/dusty Burners are at...

The snarkwads are everywhere... but that's the beauty of such a huge diverse city, as soon as I hear anyone whining, bitching or hating, I move on... no time to waste on negativity when there is boundless Love around every corner. You'll find it.
Love brings us Home
Hope restores our soul
We Burn on the Playa of the
Black Rock Desert
& We fear no evil
for the Man is on our side
Surely Faith & Love will follow
All our Lives
& We will dwell in the house of Love
Forever

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Burning Man isn't about "love" and "spirituality" and "Manifesting Intentionality and Vegan Kale Yoga Prayer Hands". You're thinking of That Hippie Bullshit Music Festival you went to last summer. Burning Man is about building big art and blowing it up in the desert and creating impossible experiences for others and working together in miserable conditions and wasting money and pushing boundaries.

Some people take drugs and dance to terrible music, but they're just wasting tickets on people who might contribute.

But now that you've been, you know that it is not That Hippie Music Festival. So, what are you going to build or provide next year?

Return to “Philosophical Center”