Google East and Selling Out

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
wraith
Burning Since: 2010

Google East and Selling Out

Post by wraith » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:38 am

So I happened to be checking the site today in advance of the sale registration, and came across this lovely thing:

https://journal.burningman.org/2018/03/ ... st-campus/
Burning Man Project to Develop Public Art for Google’s Charleston East Plaza Campus
March 7, 2018 By Kim Cook 9 comments
Here’s some breaking Burning Man news: Burning Man Project is going to work on the creation and installation of five significant artworks on Google’s new Charleston East Plaza Campus. It’s a new kind of relationship we’re very excited about, and in accordance with our mission, it’ll be all about the art and community. The experience we’re helping build will be non-commercial and fully open to the public.

The Burning Man Civic Arts team works with partners to create environments and opportunities focused on high quality, values-based interactions that enhance common bonds and generate human connections. We extend the art and process of Burning Man artists beyond Black Rock City into other contexts, both urban and transitory, creating new opportunities for artists to do their work in the world. We prioritize process over product and collaboration is central.

How do we do that? We circulate, communicate, and connect with many potential partners and ask questions like: How will the community be involved? Will this project be participatory? Is the work going to be open and accessible to the public at large? If we like what we hear, and we see unique opportunities that are deeply collaborative, broadly inclusive, and reflect an approach based on the 10 Principles, there’s a potential for partnership.

Our recent partnerships with the City of San Jose, the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum, and Washoe County’s NEA-funded art trail all include elements of participation, community engagement, and creative process.

The Charleston East Plaza is a unique chance to partner with Google to make a welcoming public place that reflects the spirit of Google in concert with the energy of Burning Man. The Charleston East Plaza design attributes developed by Google include the desire that the experience in the plaza is:

Dynamic
Interactive
Offers delight and surprise
Inspires curiosity; experience may change based on vantage point
Fun and Googley
More like Burning Man and less like formal “don’t touch” experiences
Interesting lighting at night
Memorable and iconic
Doesn’t conflict with or overshadow the building architecture
Here’s where you come in. Burning Man’s Civic Arts team is creating a series of community engagement sessions (coming in April and May) for the public to participate in identifying what creates a memorable and meaningful place. We will issue calls for artists for permanent artworks that will be specially commissioned for the plaza (keep an eye out for these April through June), and we’ll support the fabrication and installation process, all in time for the plaza’s planned opening in March, 2020.

We’re especially excited for this project because Googlers have been present in Black Rock City in many ways for many years, and always in respectfully decommodified ways. We’re proud of our historical association with the first Google Doodle (even though Burning Man and corporate logos don’t mix). We love that Google’s mission is “to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.” This is the spirit of Radical Inclusion, Participation, Gifting, and more. Google enables so much of our everyday culture and makes so much more possible through its tools. Burning Man is equally committed to providing tools and opening access for people to be engaged citizens, and we are happy for the opportunity to learn, grow, and collaborate on this project.
Fun and GOOGLEY? Since when is BM about catering to someone's corporate branding? Why the hell is the org partnering with a company whose whole business is based on commodification of every action that occurs on the internet in the first place?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Google East and Selling Out

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 am

Since when? Since Burning Man was Google's first doodle.

wraith

Post by wraith » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:09 am

AntiM wrote:Since when? Since Burning Man was Google's first doodle.
Which is neat, but was also 15 years ago when Google was a couple guys in a dorm room writing a search engine, not a multinational company whose major business is to track the actions of internet users to better advertise to them. I don't begrudge artists taking a commission, but...

Maybe I'm getting grumpier as I get older, but that really seems like poor form to support while yelling at people looking for tickets about decommodification.

Token

Post by Token » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 am

It’s all about the green bikes.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Isn't there something in the current artist contract that gives the BORG a cut of future sales? Inquiring minds would like to know what is in that contract!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 pm

The whole decommodification thing has been bullshit for a long time.
I went to BRC every year in the earlier days because I recognized at the time this event couldn’t continue the way it was and it was a case of “get it while the gettin’s good”.
Everything goes that way. It dilutes from its original form and gets monetized.
Burning Man is no exception.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:36 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:The whole decommodification thing has been bullshit for a long time.
I went to BRC every year in the earlier days because I recognized at the time this event couldn’t continue the way it was and it was a case of “get it while the gettin’s good”.
Everything goes that way. It dilutes from its original form and gets monetized.
Burning Man is no exception.
I think that's why so many people are turning to regional burns and passing on Burning Man. It's been my (limited) experience that the regionals (if done right) are small enough to bring back some of the magic of the "early years".

I can't attend the big burn this year but it really doesn't bother me like it used to because I'm hitting at least 2 smaller events. I don't think I'll even watch the live feed from Camp Envy this year. I'll still try and go to the Playa every year but now when "life gets in the way" it just doesn't seem so tragic.

Keep in mind that the 10 Principals were created as guidelines for regionals and they are just that, guidelines. They are not the 10 Commandments or hard & fast rules that must be adhered to. I do think much is lost as we dilute & ignore the 10 principals and in general they are good principals to apply as a burner & to burner events (Including Burning Man). Honestly I think we could do fine with only 5-7 principals but that's just not as dramatic :mrgreen:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:11 am

Man, that Journal post was so filled with 10-principle-collaboration-babble that it sounded like some crappy high school essay. They must have filled their full-time position for the community-engagement-obfuscation-bullshit writer.

I'd actually rather see BMORG have less reach-out. It's not as if the event needs to draw more people in.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token

Post by Token » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:57 am

BBadger wrote:
I'd actually rather see BMORG have less reach-out. It's not as if the event needs to draw more people in.
That there sounds like the seeds of a new principle!

Fewer reach-outs, more reach-arounds, you’re gonna get fucked anyway.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:05 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Isn't there something in the current artist contract that gives the BORG a cut of future sales? Inquiring minds would like to know what is in that contract!
On honorarium projects it's 10% of the sale price. Which isn't bad considering they give you the money to build it and the largest gallery in the world to exhibit in.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:10 am

I guess if you don't keep innovating and moving forward, you wither and die.
At this time, the event is capped at around 70k people (until the high passenger trains stop in Gerlach). More public exposure will only cause tickets to become more scarce. Raising ticket prices will only cause more predictable problems. Besides, not everyone wants to wallow in dust for a week.

It's both gratifying and shocking that the Smithsonian is dedicating a full building/gallery to the art of Burning Man. Making it more mainstream makes me a bit queasy, but allowing anyone to attend a museum exhibit for a few hours to get a hint of what this is all about does not really seem like a sellout, but rather spreading the message to the general public. Visitors to the Remwick should be subjected to using dusty porta potties with temperatures set for 100 degrees.

This article was just in the NY Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/arts ... llery.html This kind of exposure scares the crap out of me.

The good news is that nothing with the Burning Man logo is being sold in the gift shops. 8)

Return to “Philosophical Center”