Post playa "weirding out"

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
RebA!

Post playa "weirding out"

Postby RebA! » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:12 pm

I really cant come up with a word for the feeling. Wierding out is the best I could come up with. But I was wondering what others went thru when they returned to civilization.

Hubby and I walked in to the klamath falls Safeway dusty and playafied. We were definatly an odd couple wandering thru there. Everything just seemed so surreal. The lights just seemed too bright, the store too organized, the people to clean. It just seemed so fake, and unnatural.

I dont know. Maybe others can describe it better. What was your first off playa reactions.

Coming back to this house had the same thing. Like we were gone for months, but it was only 8 days. It just seemed like forever had passed.

Anyway.. anyone else have similar stuff happen?
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner

magician

Postby magician » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:22 pm

When I got back and read their was contraversy over britney spears and madonna giving each other a little kiss (I mean, after what I saw at BM, wtf???)... even so far that an atlanta newspaper apologized for showing the postage-stamp sized image of it on the front page (because of reader complaints), while justifying earlier images of war...

..well... what can I say... crazy world. Or maybe I'm the crazy burner, and the world merely reflects my choice of reality... many cool things have happened since I got back as well.

kfb

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:25 pm

2001: playa -- video music awards -- michael jackson tribute at madison square garden -- 9/11.

(the mj show was the freakiest)

but 2000 was weirder.

that's the year i left the playa, went to new york for _one day_, and came back...whoooooaaaaa!!!!

electrolux

Postby electrolux » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:30 pm

Maybe your problem was that you were in Klamath Falls. That place is Okie central, and I get creeped out every time we go through there. So much that i'm always insisting that we take the summer lake route through oregon from now on.

papabear

Postby papabear » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:39 pm

Two Words:
SEROTONIN DEPLETION.

When you spend a concetrated time in a place as wonderful as Burning Man and are so over stimulated 24/7 with happiness, art and life... You end up using more than a normal amount would have been used while sitting at your desk at work. Now after that medical explanation... When i first walked into my house after driving home, i felt like i had never been there before. Complete disconnection to what i thought was real. This was my first Burn after many years of helping my friends get there and hearing the stoires of wierdness after coming home, i now know what they mean.

Papabear's remedy: Sit back, smoke one and get lots of rest. Screw work as long as you can and dream of 2004. :wink:

rbmnyc

Postby rbmnyc » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:41 pm

How does quitting one's job and planning to move clear across the continent sound for some "weirding out"?

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

If only...

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:46 pm

If only my boss could have gone to BM as he'd planned. Then maybe he would understand why it's taken me over a week to adjust. I did pretty good of late -- met a local burner who's cozy :wink:

consumer

Postby consumer » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:02 pm

Its not "weirding out", its nothing more than just "BEING LAZY"

Just get back to work (assembly line), watch more tv (commercials), make choices (consume), be X-Treme™ and get the Big Value meal (consume more), pay your taxes (citizen membership fee) by April 15, 2004 and poke the wife on ocassion (make more consumers).

Oh yeah, and vote Bush (pro-war) on November 7th.

TimberNala

Postby TimberNala » Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:18 pm

My husband and I felt the same lingering effects, it took awhile to stop smiling, we loved seeing the dusty cars pass on our way home and the next few days.....I even enjoyed unpacking and laundry....we worked very well together at BM and the atmoshpere ?? of BM seemed to follow us home.
so much that we lit a fire in our outside fireplace on Saturday night (one week after BM) bought a black light and tied glow sticks to the end of hemp string and tried to "spin fire"....(maybe next Saturday night we will ride our bikes around the back yard ~ nakid...)

how many more days til 04???
~~~virgins no longer~~~

dj big E

dj big "E"

Postby dj big E » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:26 pm

lmao i have a fucking near nervous breakdown every year when i come back this year we arrived in reno on tuesday night and got a hotel room we then went to the buffet talk about weird every step i took a puff of playa dust swirled into the air as i watched people gorge themselves with food lmao what a trip but i do alot of drugs out theyre two lmao this year i also had to go to the hospital on fri some sort of upper respitory infection they put me on zpax antibiotics real fucking funny trying to explain to this doctor wy i was exposed to large amounts of alkali dust he was a real prude on top of it.anyways in a nut shell going back to the daily grind fucking sucks.

Kinetic

Postby Kinetic » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:31 pm

I came home and it was like my space didn't seem familiar to me at all. It's taken me several days to get back to normal....and then I unpack something that has playa dust on it and I find myself longing to be back on the playa.

I also fell in love with California after we left BM and if the job market wasn't so bad, I'd move West. But I met a lot of people moving out of CA on the trips out and back and so it looks like I am stuck in KC one more year. But I sure miss the West and I miss the playa and the people on it the most.

I wanna go home again! Fuck Missouri, fuck Kansas. I wanna go home!

ramen

Postby ramen » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:33 pm

Maybe I'm just weird or something...I can't handle the dichotomy between on-playa and off-playa so I've consciously changed my approach to make the two more congruent.

Perhaps it works for me. I've felt more cohesive in the post-playa world than before I went, I didn't suffer post-playa burnout. I didn't have crying jags or look at people like they were from the moon.

It's burners, after all, who are pursuing something completely out of the mainstream. But if you come back to the world and are unable to deal, then what good is your playa experience? An unreal, unrelated event that drags on you day to day for a whole year. Wish I was 'back home'. Geez, I am home now. The playa is just a temporary bus stop, albeit a very cool one.

I want to come back having learned things that make my life work better, not escape it so returning seems like going back to prison.

papabear

Postby papabear » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:02 pm

very nice thoughts there.

Thanks. Only in these days after my return home am i able to really learn from my time on the playa. Thanks again.

I have something to think about tonight.

Papabear :o

bradDaDad

Postby bradDaDad » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:45 am

Take a bigger risk. Get fuckin' radical OFF the playa. Put a little P-Funk in it. Shock your neighbors. Dye your poodle pink.

CBBR

P's & Q's and Howdy Do's

Postby CBBR » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:56 am

I find myself profusely thanking people for things they didn't know they did.

I find myself making conversational overtures to complete strangers about random thoughts.

I miss the benefit of being everybody's friend, simply because we're all in the same place.

bradDaDad

Postby bradDaDad » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:08 pm

It looks like you were eating beets. That makes me hungry.

actiongrl

decompress

Postby actiongrl » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:11 pm

Coming home this year was haaaard.

Never have I more missed BRC than as I was driving away from it, hurtling across the playa, last Tuesday afternoon. We had finished packing up the Mecca in record time, and it was time to go back and do laundry and find my wallet and sort out my mess of a life.

We decompressed for one day at our secret Tahoe cabin location, did we four, and talked about our year.

Then I came back to the city and promptly unpacked my vehicle (took 2 days) and went to bed, where I would remain, with short breaks for bike rides and walks, for three days.

I'm back in the office now. It's weird. I see a photo of the playa and my heart just pangs, bottoming out in remembrance and longing for the moments before I pushed the button on my radio and announced: "This is Actiongrl going off-com and leaving Black Rock City. Thank you, everyone. What a beautiful year," and imperceptably sobbed.

Being back in the office today is a lot better than being at home longing for it back. Here, I can look around and see photos and my coworkers and realize that it just means I have less than a year to plan for 2004.

doc_faustroll

Postby doc_faustroll » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:26 pm

if you are sufficiently wierd, you can no longer wierd out.

to the degree that you are ready and willing, may i suggest a daily regimen of wierdness?
college du pataphysique

Chai Guy

weird is good

Postby Chai Guy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:16 pm

I try to hold onto the playa experience for as long as possible, and get re-charged at decompression and other events. I say hello people I pass on the street, start conversations with strangers, give small token gifts and help people when I see a need.

The whole point of this experience (IMO) isn't the week you're out there, it's what you do with it after that week is over.

Jane Eric

Postby Jane Eric » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:17 pm

Our first stop was someplace along the road in Reno for food. It had a big parking lot for the plane and we saw several other burner cars there. Once inside it was whammo, freaksville. And I'm not talking about burners. I thought we'd see more burners in there but they must have been holed up in the bathrooms or something. One burner came walking toward the johns as I was walking back and we took a very long silent drink out of each other's eyes before passing on.

fancyclancy

what's with all the clothes??

Postby fancyclancy » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:27 pm

I was definitely 'weirded out' by all the fully clothed people in Reno and other non-BRC areas. It was just something that struck me upon leaving BRC.
Today in the mail, I got the postcard I sent to myself from burning man! It does, indeed, have the special burning man postmark. Definitely a nice little memento.
cheers!
live to bowl; bowl to live

Tristan

Postby Tristan » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:32 pm

> Post playa "weirding out" - I really cant come up with a word for the feeling.

Me neither, but there's an emoticon for this feeling: Image :(

Tawnee Lynne

Postby Tawnee Lynne » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:59 pm

I think there are some post burning weirding out moments on the Center Camp rant...
shrugs....
Tawnee Lynne
Today I will help you to create music..the music is the echo of whatever precious memory we embrace from our innocent contact....Tawnee Lynne

Fluffy Pink

Forgot to button my shirt. . .

Postby Fluffy Pink » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:46 pm

Our first stop was for gas in Alturus. I was out of the car and almost into the mini-mart when I looked down and realized that my shirt was almost all the way unbuttoned and my boobs were hanging out. Totally spaced that one. A Burner coming out of the store smiled beautifically at me and said, "Sweet, dusty titties." Sigh.

Work has been a trip. I'm starting to get back in the groove, but have been a complete fuckwit all week. Mostly I look for opportunities to surf BM websites and see if there is new stuff posted from this year.

Having a hard time talking about it with non-BM friends. They all ask, "So, how was it??" I'm tired of trying to explain and ending up in a frothing, breathless rant of, "And then. . .and then. . .and then. . ." They are glazed over after the first 20 seconds. So I'm not going to try anymore. Now it's "Oh, we had a great time!" And then I come here and read postings from other Burners so I can call someone who cares.
-Don't Dream It, Be It-

Kinetic

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:50 pm

I got tired of explaining too...I just sent out links to the Reno Gazette Journal BM Website and tell them to ask me if they have questions.

E-playa has served as my decompression this year.....it's really helped.

E.

weirding out

Postby E. » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:06 pm

my advice - get over it and get on with it.
start working for world domination and planning for 2004 NOW.
and find the vibe in your home town - it' fucking there if you're not too lazy or jaded to see it.
and if for some reason, you can't find it - move. seriously.
oh, and where your shades all the time, that'll help.
:!:

Angry Butterfly

Postby Angry Butterfly » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:20 pm

The walls of my bedroom are blue, I was only half awake and thought I was in a big comfy bed onder a big tent, my husband said "why dont you take off your panties?" and I said "why, is this 'no panties camp?'" and he said "yes, yes it is, you have to take them off"
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.

nymphgonebad

Postby nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:29 pm

bradDaDad wrote:Take a bigger risk. Get fuckin' radical OFF the playa. Put a little P-Funk in it. Shock your neighbors. Dye your poodle pink.

what an excellent idea, bradadad. now all i need is a poodle.

anyone who would like to donate their poodle to a good cause......

the princess :lol:

Jodi

split personality/life

Postby Jodi » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:31 pm

Man, i pretty much agree with what everyone else said. This was my first year at BM and the drive home from my friend's house was very lonely.. i put on radiohead and shed a couple of tears.. kind of wallowing in my own misery..

:shock: walking into my house.. VERY strange, nothing had changed yet it seemed so different.. like i hadn't lived/been there in ages.. coming to work wasn't as bad as i thought... people were interested in my trip and i got a good reception..

Another thing that was really weird was looking at pictures i had on my desk of me and my friends at some bar.. i felt like i was looking at a different person... it just wasn't me! Anyone else get that??

Overall, i feel a sense of peace inside that wasn't totally there before.. i have more compassion for people and my levels of frustration have decreased..

TheJudge

Postby TheJudge » Sat Sep 13, 2003 7:43 am

Its easy to get PPD (Post Playa Depression). There are several threads talking about it now.

Driving off the playa is one of the hardest things I do every year. That point where the tires hit the asphalt always hits me like the feeling of someone dying. I supressed it a lot this year since I had someone with me, but the feeling still washed over me.

Decompressing the best way I can. Its not easy. It never is.

I havent washed or even unpacked my truck yet, so every time I get into it, I have the smell of playa and everything is still exactly as I left it when I was out there (translation: a fucking mess.) My co-workers are all starting to wonder about me, but I absolutely love driving into a parking lot and parking my incredibly dirty truck with the plywood window and Black Rock City decals on the doors right next to the boss' Audi TT that he polishes with a diaper. In fact its nice being able to easily spot your filthy playa vehicle in a sea of fancy clean cars.

Today is the day that most of my stuff gets unloaded and stored at my Mom's house. The truck will finally be emptied of rubbermaid tubs, milk crates, shade structures, carpeting, tents, hammocks and about 12 pounds of dust that blew in while driving all around the deep playa. Its going to be a mess and I'm going to love every minute of it.

That, I guess will be my own decompression.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

Return to “Philosophical Center”