the playa versus the traditional museum - what do you think?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
bettiejune

the playa versus the traditional museum - what do you think?

Post by bettiejune » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:16 pm

Hiya,
Thanks to everyone to responded to my other post! Still writing my thesis about the art of Burning Man, and one of my arguments is that the playa is a new type of museum. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, there are tens of thousands of people who attend Burning Man, and who see the art as a key part of their BM experience. I wonder what percentage of Burners enjoy going to museums and galleries? How many make it a regular part of their lives? How has the art on the playa affected your understanding and appreciation of art shown in traditional forums?

thanks and lots of playa love,
xx Bettie June

kampkalamazoo

Post by kampkalamazoo » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:10 am

I'd prefer it if instead of the traditional ticket system, the BMorg would set up a plexiglas cube at the gate with a sign reading "$250.00 Suggested Donation" and give spiffy red blazers to the Rangers, now to be referred to as the Black Rock Docents.

Seriously, Burning man is the finest, most diverse and inspiring art venue that I have ever experienced. Not only worth the "suggested donation", but a 2000 mile drive to boot. Now I have to work on getting more nudity and circus acts at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts......
Robotland's Alter Ego

Return to “Philosophical Center”