tech––no!!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

tech––no!!

Postby unjonharley » Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:22 pm

it could be rumored the our wise staff will rule out tech––no in 2004. keep up the rumor. some of us still like "music".
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

officer_monkey

Re: tech––no!!

Postby officer_monkey » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:33 pm

unjonharley wrote:it could be rumored the our wise staff will rule out tech––no in 2004. keep up the rumor. some of us still like "music".

are you talking about all that music that STILL has not changed since the 70's?

TheMuse

Postby TheMuse » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:04 pm

I wouldn't mind a little more variety... this year was more like TechnoMan than Burning Man. Maybe a lil cut-back (not outlawing) would be a good thing.

playasnake

Postby playasnake » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:29 pm

thats funny. well, not funny... but i heard more live music this year than in any of the past years i have been.

as far as banning techno... yeah, i heard that too. and water. no water next year. ban it all!

captain mcguiver
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: XaraLustmonkeysPlayaQBatCntryBunyMethLab

Postby captain mcguiver » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:55 pm

In 2000 I heard 396 trance camps, and one drum and bass camp.

This year, I heard maybe 3 trance, 2 techno, and a majority of bands/70's songs. It totally depends on where you stumble I guess.

dylan_sf

tech--no??

Postby dylan_sf » Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:06 pm

If you don't like the music, stop complaining and make your own... :? And I heard plenty of bands there.

consumer

Postby consumer » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:01 pm

In 2004, I'm returning to the playa with reinforcements to fill the severe gap of jungle/d&b, funk, soul, hip-hop & dancehall. Thank god for Space Cowboy's "Ripe" sound system playing the occasional d&b this year.

Borris
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Postby Borris » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:02 pm

Not alot techno that i heard.

there was some Drum and Bass, Alot of New School Breaks, some House, quite alot of bad Trance (and not enough good trance, and yes there is Good trance) some hip-hop-breakbeat shit. and even some Leftfield, EBM and Industrial.

But i guess it's all Tech--no to you.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...

olivia

Postby olivia » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:11 pm

i heard maybe one techno tune mixed in with a lot of crap house and trance. if i could telepathically control all the djs on the playa i would force them to play more minimal techno, d&b, electro, and electroclash and less house and trance.

but yeah. it is definitely an electronica dominated event.

playasnake

Postby playasnake » Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:50 pm

consumer wrote:In 2004, I'm returning to the playa with reinforcements to fill the severe gap of jungle/d&b, funk, soul, hip-hop & dancehall. Thank god for Space Cowboy's "Ripe" sound system playing the occasional d&b this year.

.... and opera, and black sabbath, spanish music, downtemp0/idm stuff, strange noises...

i dont really think there is a gap, maybe an imbalance. you just have to know where to find it, and hunt around until you do. Plug 4 played loads of what you were looking for... and i heard lots of dnb out there... well, maybe not lots, but quite a bit.

its out there, and it might be a challenge to find, but its out there.

Borris

Postby Borris » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:19 pm

Boombox was mostly about D&B and Nu School breaks.

warrior queen

Postby warrior queen » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:46 pm

I would be really happy to hear more D&B and breakbeats. I was one of the lost children wandering the playa straining my ears for the funky phat beats only to be led to a lot of trance...but the drum circles are always there :lol:

electrolux

Postby electrolux » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:35 pm

found some new york kids playing some electroclash saturday after the burn. cheesy? yes, but dammit i had fun anyway.
i saw in the whu whu whu that one camp was giving a history and terminology of electronica lesson one afternoon. seems much needed in these parts.

olivia

Postby olivia » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:54 pm

electrolux wrote:found some new york kids playing some electroclash saturday after the burn. cheesy? yes, but dammit i had fun anyway.

beside the LED wall (a.k.a raver magnet) on the esplanade?

electrolux

Postby electrolux » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:02 pm

electrolux wrote:
found some new york kids playing some electroclash saturday after the burn. cheesy? yes, but dammit i had fun anyway.

beside the LED wall (a.k.a raver magnet) on the esplanade?

yup.
i was drawn to that thing like a moth... i thought that priest had exorcised all the raver out of me but apparently not.

olivia

Postby olivia » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:54 pm

electrolux wrote:yup.
i was drawn to that thing like a moth... i thought that priest had exorcised all the raver out of me but apparently not.

ah yes - they were our campmates. i loved what they were playing before it morphed into trancey stuff. that set has inspired me to get a nice live electro set together for next year.

Borris

Postby Borris » Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:40 pm

electrolux wrote:i saw in the whu whu whu that one camp was giving a history and terminology of electronica lesson one afternoon. seems much needed in these parts.

I came over for the lestion, hoping to add maybee some of my knowledge to theirs, 5 years of Electronic music journalism have perfected my Electronic music 101 lecture. but the lestion never happened. dunno where they disappeard to...

DogBoy
Location: Twins City, OR "The hardest place to find in Oregon"

Postby DogBoy » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:20 pm

I only object to bad tech--no. Like the camp around Dogma & 830 that played the same goddamn song way to loud for 6 hours from about 2am till 7am Tues. My wife went to the JOTS around 5& there as a mob straight out of a frankenstien movie demanding they shut down.

I guess my big complaint is the sheer number of people that think owning more than 3 records qualifies you as a DJ. I want people to actually treat the turntables as an instrument (Mixmaster Mike, DJ Qbert, etc) rather than acting like a jukebox. Crossfading does not a DJ make...

I belive it was Jack Benny that said no one should be allowed to play the violin publicly until they had mastered it. I feel the same way about turntables.

Jordan 10-E
Burning Since: 2002

The Variety of Euphoria

Postby Jordan 10-E » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:04 am

I know in our camp (Temple of Euphoria) we had our varieties of trance and techno, all of it great IMO, but we also had some mean breaks and DnB. In fact two wonderful and fine girls that camped with us tore it up with their DnB and other broken beats. Had some good crowds digging that shizniz. I was very proud to have them play in the camp. We also had an incredible live electronic set earlier in the week. Some commitments for certain bands to play in our camp fell through, but we are going to work even harder in 2004 to line up as much diversity (albeit mostly in the electronic realm) as possible, including more live performances. Probably have an ALL DnB night or two also. We also will be trying to draw more performance of all sorts, including dance, poetry, and drama. Check us out next year for more of the variety. It can only get better.

BTW, I dig all the camps that play music of whatever sort, even if I am sleeping. I remember either Tuesday or Wednesday morning thinking how much I loved to hear how the sounds of other camps drifted through our camp (after ours was shut down). I do agree Burning Man is not ALL about "techno" but it has it's place, especially if it is done right, which I believe we at least try to do.

Peace
Last edited by Jordan 10-E on Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

evie

Postby evie » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:30 pm

Burning Man is where I got into electronica and it would 'nt be the same without it. Even though fuckno is my favorite dancing music I would love to see more bands. The variety of tech has definatley improved. Two years ago all i could find was bad house uck! -

-
yeah i agree with olive more electroclash baby it is too much fun! :wink:

drowned_saved

Postby drowned_saved » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:30 pm

olivia wrote:if i could telepathically control all the djs on the playa

i tried this.
squeezed my temples, squinted my eyes, and prayed for seven straight days of black sabbath.

nothing.

THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:46 pm

well how about this. i've always wanted to do a burning song. real instruments and whatever works and sounds good and all. (with a symte time code stripe.)

i like input from other musicians and artists. anyway i can start by putting a sample of drums and bass trax and all who want add on as see fit can do so. basicicly compose a song over the net. full fidellity which means if you have no highspeed it wont work for you.

i think after a year of working between the eplay family over the net it should turn out something pretty narley.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:49 am

Thank you all for your Rumors & Lies.

The guy playing along with a bagpipe to extra-loud-and-hurtful techno near my camp a couple days after the event wins.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

TawnyGnosis

Postby TawnyGnosis » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:55 pm

I love electroclash, it's so geeky and fun to dance to. I would hardly call it raver music at all. Fischer Spooner is an amazing creative band live.
Heaven's going to burn your eyes

Borris

Postby Borris » Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:06 am

Drowned:

Now playing - Black Sabbath-Paranoid_(vanguard2003remix).mp3

drowned_saved

Postby drowned_saved » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:26 pm

Borris wrote:Drowned:

Now playing - Black Sabbath-Paranoid_(vanguard2003remix).mp3

Gawd, yes.

stuart

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:24 pm

uhm, that's SMPTE (society of motion picture and televsion engineers)

TawnyGnosis

Good Bands

Postby TawnyGnosis » Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:05 pm

I saw a variety of great bands including Lost at last. There was live acoustic music everywhere, I'm not exactly sure if I was at the same event at all.
Heaven's going to burn your eyes

CyberMyc

Aaahhh yes..

Postby CyberMyc » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:43 am

Well, I agree with some, and disagree with others.. Our camp, The Celestial Temple was all the way out at 10:00 and Sacred. We had a nice structure built with an enclosed dj booth on the second story, and pedestrians were allowed to walk around the inside, and on top. To talk about the techno..... I agree, that there should be a well balance of forms of electronic music, as well as live bands. I love that about Burningman more than anything. The variety of music. We had D&B, Tech House, Breaks, Electro Beat, Trance, and even a downtempo set that included groups like AIR and Pink Floyed. To our demise, noone ever came all the way out to see us. Everyone stayed within the inner circle. :( I ended up skipping alot of my own timeslots, to go see irish bands, and follow the Tsunami Bus.

DE FACTO

Postby DE FACTO » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:07 am

stuart wrote:uhm, that's SMPTE (society of motion picture and televsion engineers)

yep you got me there. but you seem to have understood.

Return to “Philosophical Center”