Washoe & Pershing Co early discussions to change boundaries around the event

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Washoe & Pershing Co early discussions to change boundaries around the event

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:57 am

I heard about this earlier in the week.

http://www.pershingcounty.net/document_ ... 3.2018.pdf

Washoe County is proposing to Pershing County a land swap to redraw county boundaries. The minutes of the Pershing County meeting should be interesting. Personally I would like to see small towns like Winnemucca benefit more economically from burner overland travelers and be less burdened by the law enforcement costs of the event.

Washoe has a lot of economically valuable land near Fernley, so this could be beneficial to both counties.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Re: Washoe & Pershing Co early discussions to change boundaries around the event

Post by sparr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:22 am

Could they finalize this without approval at the state level?

Also, how specific is the BM location? I know it moves year to year, but I'm not sure how far. Feet? Miles?
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Re: Washoe & Pershing Co early discussions to change boundaries around the event

Post by XPTom » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:32 am

Looks like the part we use is in Pershing, the southwest tip of the playa is in Washoe with Gerlach, and the northern tip is in Humboldt. I hope this doesn't mean the kind friendly people(sarc) who police the road in also want some of the playa action.
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Yeah the way the small town cops fuck with people makes flying in start to look a lot better.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:45 am

9. Discussion regarding Washoe County’s desire to relocate Washoe County’s boundaries to include the Playa where the Burning Man Event is held - Discussion and for Possible Action.
Pershing could save the costs of policing, prosecution, prosecution investigation & court costs that they're incurring. From what they've been saying recently, that could save their taxpayers a ton of money, so Burning Man is no longer any burden on Pershing taxpayers.

This is also interesting from that notice of public meeting.
5.F.
Jerry Allen, Sheriff: Update/report on matters relating to the Pershing County Sheriff’s Office; Server upgrade/replacement with funding from Capital Improvement fund; K-9 purchase applying $6,500.00 from the 2017 Asset Forfeiture account for a purchase price of $7,250.00 and training/certification in the amount of $4,995.00 totaling $12,245.00; Use of Cat I reserve (s) in place of FTE until position can be filled; Approval to allow the Sheriff (or his designee) and one Deputy Sheriff to attend K-9 update training in Chico, California on October 24, 2018. The cost of the training is $400.00 per participant; Approval to increase hotel per diem to $150.00.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Philosophical Center”