What Would Larry Have Said?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.
jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

What Would Larry Have Said?

Post by jcliff » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:00 pm

This conundrum has been stuck in my craw since last Burn, and since today marks one year since we lost Larry, it's a good time to get thoughts on it. I'm not sure why the question of what Larry would have wanted on this issue has stuck with me, but I'm ready to hear what you have to offer.

Last Burn, during pre-Burn WAP week, a bunch of Lamplighters stopped at Larry's Memorial. A couple of the artists/builders were there and shared that the Memorial would be burned on Wednesday night. So, I thought that it would be a good chance to get some Lamplighters there, take our work truck Luci out and represent! Larry Harvey was one of the first Lamplighters dating back to like 1993, so it would seem a good opportunity for Lamplighters to share our history and ethos with our Vets and Noobs alike and celebrate one of our Founders. So, to make sure I had the details correct I stopped into Artery to check out their Art Burn Board on the day of.....no mention of the Larry Harvey Memorial on it. So, I stopped and asked someone who looked like they knew something. He stepped away, went behind the curtains, and came out a few minutes later with this message; The Larry Harvey Memorial Burn will be a private event and the details of it won't be shared. Long of the short, Lamplighters didn't make the trip because we were honoring the wishes that were expressed from Artery....I assumed that it was the official party line. Neither here no nor there, but there were a couple thousand people that did show up for it.

Here's my call for thoughts.....what do people think about what Larry would have wanted for sharing his Memorial Burn details from Artery? Given that he created this whole Community and enterprise.....would he have wanted First Camp to direct Artery not to share the information? I never met Larry, so I have no idea. Just curious about it.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: What Would Larry Have Said?

Post by lucky420 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:14 pm

I think he would’ve thought “ well shit, the horse is already out of the barn, the more the merrier”. Those rich bastards have plenty of private places to do it private if they so desired. Putting a memorial up in a big public art event where some people know when a ceremony is going to happen and not expect the word to get out would be quite foolish and naive I would think.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: What Would Larry Have Said?

Post by Token » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:23 pm

Yeah, but then you get 200 art cars all showing up and someone blasting Free Bird so loud on their system it’s all distorted and terrible.

Damned if you do ...

Return to “Philosophical Center”