Dangerous Musical Instument Camp

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
Angry Butterfly

Dangerous Musical Instument Camp

Post by Angry Butterfly » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:44 pm

My husband wants to make a glass harmonica out of differently tuned grinding wheels. He says he wants to start "Dangerous Musical Instument Camp" I see it as a really big, really loud, really annoying theme camp. It will be fun. It will be awesome if we start NOW! Who's IN?
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.

Piper

Post by Piper » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:02 pm

Do my bagpipes qualify?
Peace
Piper

I said, "Man, I'd like to stay
But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:30 pm

Since my husband also wants to run a diggerido through a marshal stack and says that qualifies, I could see how we could fit in some bagpipes, Partiicularly if they are amplified or shoot fire! Acually I see that your icon is kokopelli with bagpipes, if your bagpipes make people pregnant, I would say that qualifies! But wrap it up around me OK, A musician and an artist cant afford no kids just now, Capiche?
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.

angelface

Post by angelface » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:41 pm

bagpipes definitly count...

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:19 pm

We have shortened it to "Dangerous Music" and some friends who OWN their own 40 foot RV are comming! Join us!

Raheer

Post by Raheer » Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:33 am

I have an actual glass armonica. If I rig it with high explosives, can I join you?

Raheer

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:58 am

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You OWN a glass harmonica?
COOL!!!
It's gonna be a really cool camp, everybody gets so exited about it when we tell them, plus, we are getting started early.

Raheer

Post by Raheer » Mon Oct 06, 2003 1:45 am

I do indeed have an armonica --indeed, I'm one of only two armonicists on the West Coast-- but it's (unfortunately) not going to the playa with me. Let's face it, it's a six thousand dollar instrument made of glass, with delicate parts, small pieces, an electric motor, a rubber belt, and weighing about fifty pounds. Also, the man who built my armonica is dead, and unless my mentor and I could build a replacement, irreparable. And if all the possible damage that could be caused to it weren't enough, the armonica is a rather quiet instrument. It would be drowned out if we were camped anywhere NEAR someone blaring music out of speakers. (Is there anywhere in BRC that isn't near someone blaring music out of huge speakers?)

All that said, however, I would love to camp with you, and if I need a dangerous instrument to join you, I can always build some unholy mixture of a trombone and an old Soviet warhead....

Raheer

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:13 am

I would never expect someone to bring an actual glass Harmonica to burning man, I dobt my husband will bring any "real" instuments. There are places on the playa that there are not speakers blaring, even the "Rave" camp I was in shut down during the day. As we plan the camp we can work out placement. I was thinking esplinade with all the clubs, but we might be better off near the art cars, we certainly wouldnt qualify for the quiet zones as we will need generators to run some of the dangerous instuments, and dangerous music will be loud, there is always the option of the theme camp being one place and people who want peace and quiet putting thier tent elsewhere and commuting into the camp to do their performances and keep an eye on their art. ( we had a number of people do that in our camp this year )

angelface

Post by angelface » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:30 am

I have a camp I love, and can't imagine camping somewhere else, but I also have a trumpet, which can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and would love to stop by and contribute to the music.. :)

Raheer

Post by Raheer » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:55 pm

angelface wrote:I have a camp I love, and can't imagine camping somewhere else, but I also have a trumpet, which can be dangerous in the wrong hands, and would love to stop by and contribute to the music.. :)
A trumpet can be dangerous in the right hands!

Raheer

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:43 pm

WOO HOO!
I had a friend in college who said Miles Davis was her favorite Apphrodisiac.
I have a really beat up flee market trumpet i am going to rig up with propane. I just got the idea today, before I saw any trumpet posts! Great minds...

angelface

Post by angelface » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:54 am

Angry Butterfly wrote:I have a really beat up flee market trumpet i am going to rig up with propane. I just got the idea today, before I saw any trumpet posts! Great minds...
I love Miles Davis, Kind of Blue is one of the best sex albums of all time.

I love the idea about rigging a trumpet with propane.. you'll have to let me know how that works out.. I would probably be willing to rig mine up like that as well...

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:50 pm

Man, I thought the flamethrowing thread was going to be about doing stuff like that, I will start one in the "How To" sectioon and see if I can get some help with it.

Angry Butterfly

Post by Angry Butterfly » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:00 pm

New News on "Dangerous Music Camp" Alex wants it to be exclusively for serious musicians, which is cool because then I can be in Candy Raver Camp.

satireDUN

Post by satireDUN » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:32 am

well, im not a SERIOUS musician, but i did custom make a intrument...out of wood and steel.
"you might want to sit down, this is going to feel unpleasantly like being drunk"
"whats so bad about being drunk?"
"ask a glass of water"

shitmouse

Post by shitmouse » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:11 am

build something like a larger "hurdy-gurdy" that just makes a crazy insane noise. -- and of course run it though that stack! :)
rats will either come or run away.

i'm interested in this. -(i never did get to hear satan's caliapee).
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:17 pm

I know that I have talked to at least one other person interested in creating a musical camp or village and I know that we'd be willing to work with you on placement to minimize the impact of other sound on your Dangerous Music! I'd love to see a whole village at Burning Man dedicated to instrumental music.

Piper

Post by Piper » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:19 pm

Angry Butterfly wrote:Since my husband also wants to run a diggerido through a marshal stack and says that qualifies, I could see how we could fit in some bagpipes, Partiicularly if they are amplified or shoot fire! Acually I see that your icon is kokopelli with bagpipes, if your bagpipes make people pregnant, I would say that qualifies! But wrap it up around me OK, A musician and an artist cant afford no kids just now, Capiche?
Been a long time since I posted just re started this week, Cool, actually some members of the Reno Fire conclave have been thinking in the shoot flames fron pipes area.

Now you know Koko, is just a tinker man drifting to from place to place with grain and gifts ;)
Peace
Piper

But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP

Moatilliatta

Post by Moatilliatta » Thu May 06, 2004 11:00 pm

I have a berimbau, it's like 3ft tall and looks like a bow (for a bow & arrow)...with one steel string pulled so damn tight that if it snapped...it could go through flesh nicely...I never play it too hard in fear that it may snap....so that could be ddangerous eh? lol

I'm gonna try and bring it...but it's big and awckward to pack....but a cheap instrument..(around $70)....only two tones/notes....great for drum circles....

samtzu

Post by samtzu » Fri May 14, 2004 9:23 am

While on an all expense paid, eighteen month vacation with my Uncle Sammy in Sunny South East Asia about thirty-five years ago, I was able to experience the most exquisite concert imaginable. It was a quad 50 (four fifty caliber machine guns set on a single pedestal on the back of a large dump truck) operated by a crew of four very stoned dudes.

They loaded the ammo belts into the four separate weapons. One of them (Bear. You'll never guess why they called him that... huge) climbed into the 'saddle' and got set. One of them yelled, "Ready, Bear?" and he just nodded. Someone started slammin' a beat on an ammo can and Bear started pulling triggers in time to the beat.

It was incredible!! Four streams of tracers arcing off into the sunset (and a large empty space that went on for several miles) while this incredible BEAT was being laid down. This went on for about five minutes. Unbelievable.

Don't know if you want one of those in camp this year, but, hey! It's got a great beat, and you can dance to it.

Sam
The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing ~~ Eric Hoffer

VerbenaMaya

Post by VerbenaMaya » Fri May 14, 2004 1:04 pm

Lots of interactive stuff would be cool too. I have thought before of interactive sound stuff both with humans and nature. My friends once had a surprise drum circle for my birthday, it was great. Random thoughts:

Grown your own gourds, the kind that are easily dried and made into little maracas. If you had a bunch they could be fashioned into a tree or some form people could shake, or make a way for them to shake in the wind.

Anything tubular perhaps which could incorporate producing sound from wind being driven through it.

Hmm. Wall or maze of wind chimes?

Lots of little bells or the discs used for belly dancer costumes have some noisy creative potential, perhaps very securely strung on wire.

Ambitious one. Something like a cross between a giant drum and a trampoline that people would play with their bodies. You could
run a maze through it and people could experience the resonance of
being inside it while beaten. Or another big drum idea, maybe made like
a donught or concentric rings, people (alot at a time) would play it from the inside. (make drumsticks attached so they dont walk away?) I sometimes go to Native American Pow-wows and I love watching groups play those great big drums.

Hmm. Those little kids plastic thingys (used to be a playing card) that clip on or slip into the spokes of bike wheels to make noise when the wheels rotate. You could make some to gift that would serve as noisy advertising for your camp. Would have to be anti-moop style though.

There's always the guy in your town who does nothing but collect old metal hubcaps. Buy him beer and ask him to get creative.

Basket of cheap noise makers/noisy toys (usually found in stores for children's parties). For use in camp or gifts. I personally like the little ones that are two plastic hands clapping and you shake it to make this really annoying clicking sound.

Tibetan bells & bowls. The kind you can just play or you can rub a wooden stick around and the start to hum and resonate, and the more you keep going around the louder and louder it sings.

I had a friend who had one of those portable thingys for making an acoustic guitar momentarily electric. He used it for his mandolin. Electric mandolin was very cool. Might be handy to try with other instruments of same nature.

Ask the musicans from your local music scene to donate spent musical equipment like old cymbals, sticks, broken guitar strings, etc. and use to make something unusual.

Just a decorative thing, but old cds easily transformed into art, make super shiny reflective in sun camp decor.

probably not worth the 500lb pain in the butt to haul, know somebody who has an old, really out of tune piano they would love for you to get rid off for them?

Ah well, hope something useful comes to mind. Love the dangerous music camp idea.
[i]It's true that every time you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings.
But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap snap, an Angel gets set on fire.
- Jack Handy, Deep Thoughts [/i]

dangerous music. rebel rebel

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:49 am

I can make a gtr sound like a flute does that count or should i think of the most insanly innovated instrument known to man, anyway this kamp is a killer idea and rock n roll is there. take care

Rian Jackson

Re: dangerous music. rebel rebel

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:10 pm

phantomrocker wrote:I can make a gtr sound like a flute does that count or should i think of the most insanly innovated instrument known to man, anyway this kamp is a killer idea and rock n roll is there. take care
there was some talk last year about rigging instruments to shoot flaming arrows and igniting the man that way. i should find you the thread.

fspace

F-SPACE and Dangerous Music

Post by fspace » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:08 pm

We'd be delighted to play at your camp some time. You can see our dangerous instruments at:

http://www.mobilization.com

-Ethan
[url=http://www.mobilization.com]MobiliZation.com[/url]
[img]http://www.mobilization.com/images/bmtour98noboardsmall.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.mobilization.com/images/jenerik_main_firephoto.gif[/img]

symbolsimon

Post by symbolsimon » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:34 pm

Piper wrote:Do my bagpipes qualify?
b]Yo Peace Piper,
Excellent logo.
I play pennywhistle and bodhran(rhymes with moron), and if they want annoying, I'm sure we can give it to them, even with our eyes tied behind our backs!
Symbolsimon, the man who put the Wuss into Whistle

It is better to copulate than never. Yuhuh.

symbolsimon

Post by symbolsimon » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:36 pm

b]Yo Peace Piper,
Excellent logo.
I play pennywhistle and bodhran(rhymes with moron), and if they want annoying, I'm sure we can give it to them, even with our eyes tied behind our backs!

Piper

Post by Piper » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:35 pm

symbolsimon wrote:
b]Yo Peace Piper,
Excellent logo.

wel I have to agree with copulation, and with th music, I will be up for good on Wednesday afternoon, loook for the pipes at dawn at the man thurs or fri.

peace all
PIPER
Peace
Piper

But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP

symbolsimon

killer muzak

Post by symbolsimon » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:52 pm

Piper wrote:
symbolsimon wrote:
b]Yo Peace Piper,
Excellent logo.

wel I have to agree with copulation, and with th music, I will be up for good on Wednesday afternoon, loook for the pipes at dawn at the man thurs or fri.

I'm there, dood. If it crosses your mind, one little reminder closer to the event, would be lovely.
Peace

peace all
PIPER

jazzcakes

Jam Session?

Post by jazzcakes » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:05 am

Hi -

I've got a camp, but I've also got a trombone, a degree in jazz studies, and I know how to use it. :wink:

I'm looking to organize, or fall into a good playing situation on the playa.
Would be happy to bring some lead sheets, charts, or nothing at all. Just looking for a quality, fun musical experience.

I'll be staying in the pancake playhouse annex, and probably slogging cakes in the morning, if I can get my ass out of bed. Come say hi.

-JazzCakes

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”