LJ/Literature Camp?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
telizas

LJ/Literature Camp?

Post by telizas » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:52 am

Capt. Adaquit and I have been brainstorming some ideas around writing, stories, storytelling, etc. I didn't see a lot of this on the playa last year. We were thinking of bringing some recording equipment and doing some (small) group storytelling and record it for later transcription and offer it to anyone who wanted a copy. I have heard some folks have been down on the whole storytelling thing, it can get too long, too complicated and people lose interest, so we've discussed ways to make it more engaging, organized, and fun.

If anyone else is interested, email or PM me. :)
Well behaved women rarely make history.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:50 am

What about a roundtable story tell? Someone starts it, goes a couple minutes and then hands off to the next person? Certainly has the potential to be funny....

Tapestry
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Hair of the Dog

Post by Tapestry » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:25 am

Here's a writing exercise we tried at a science fiction convention a few years ago: Get some index cards. On one side of each card, write a 2- or 3-word phrase with some random words. (You can even make up words.) Distribute the cards. Everyone with a card has to read their phrase, and then on the other side of the card write an original paragraph that includes the phrase. To make it interesting, put a time limit on how long they have to write their paragraph. (At the convention, the writers had to come up with an entire story using the phrases, and the whole story had to fit on the back of the card.)

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:38 am

It bears mentioning that that word game is called "The Exquisite Corpse", after the drawing game in which players take turns drawing body parts to complete a human figure. The last person to add the last body part (!) is the Winner, or Loser, or Is Unsure.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:23 pm

ONe of the few, maybe in fact the only formal, Cacaphony event I ever attended was back in the mid/late 80s where we wrote a play with the Exquisite Corpse technique. It actually went fairly well, we were presented with a list of characters (3) scenes (again 3) and overall theme and there were props littered all over the stage that we could incorporate into our writing. You had to wait in line for a typewriter (manual yet!) and you got a certain amount of time to compose your contribution seeing only the line just before yours. After a set amount of time, they took the script to the actors and put on the three scene play. I knew one of the actors (the one who played the Devil) and for some reason the stuffed flamingo was a constantly recurring prop. It did sort of make sense, maybe it was because ultimately there were enough varialbles for variety and not so many that it was senseless.

Or maybe I only reguard this time warmly because one of my lines got a laugh. . .

Booker

Post by Booker » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:10 pm

OK, so I have a question: How vital do y'all think it is to expose only the most recent little bit of text? Yeah, I know the rules of exquisite corpse, and no doubt that's fun & all, but I'm thinking of something with a bit more continuity and an evolving identity of its own, but still with input from many writers.

Anyone have any experience with collaborative stories where the previous work was available as people added their contributions? That's happened with group story writing on boards not completely unlike this one, and the results I've seen were plenty disjointed, even though people could read what had gone before. Anyone with suggestions for encouraging continuity?

Icepack

Literature camp

Post by Icepack » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:13 pm

Perhaps you could talk to the folks who do the Black Rock City Bookmobile and set up near them. You would definitely get some folks interested in reading and writing interested and involved.

Just my pennies worth.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:35 pm

Booker,

I personally like the recurring themes and inside jokes that develop in a multi-author story when people can see what's previously been written. But maybe that's because I have an odd sense of humor.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:48 pm

Anyone have any experience with collaborative stories where the previous work was available as people added their contributions?
Booker,

When i was in high school, my friends and I tried this one day just for fun. We each wrote a paragraph then switched. You were allowed to read everything that was written before. So if person 1 wrote a apragraph then passed it to person 2, who them apssed it to person 3, person #3 could read what both #1 and #2 wrote.
The first three stories were (obviously) pretty wacky, but not too terribly disjointed. They amused us so much that we did a whole gripload. Characters conituned thoughout different stories, a whole universe developed. A lot of continuity. Mainly there were 3 or 4 people f=doing the majority of the writing, but sometimes we'd have "guest authors" for a paragraph or two, and sometimes a single person would ahve a story idea and just write the whole thing.
I think I still ahve them all collected somewhere. If you're interested and you remind me I'll try to bring them to B2B.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:50 pm

ps> they were all about Aardvarks.

EricMagic

Good Idea - Simliar to new theme camp

Post by EricMagic » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:03 pm

Sounds good, this is very similiar to the theme camp I suggested,
Drop of Water Theater, formallly Circle Theater in idea/title. However, this camp seems focused strictly on storytelling, which is cool, and could also be a nice focus for writing. Maybe this camp and the Drop of Water Theater camp could be nearby one another, and help as a warm up area for either theme camp..

It is really cool to help to get as many persons involved as possible with their minds, voices, dreams, and concious actions including those persons who were not really planning to do any story telling nor any formal performance.
<>
Relax, Be Bold, Dream, Live Large, Elevate
<>

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:59 am

Booker wrote:OK, so I have a question: How vital do y'all think it is to expose only the most recent little bit of text? Yeah, I know the rules of exquisite corpse, and no doubt that's fun & all, but I'm thinking of something with a bit more continuity and an evolving identity of its own, but still with input from many writers.
Hey, I only mentioned my experience because it was a good one and even then I was careful to express my feeling that there was a continuity because of the limits set. Certainly, the Exquisite Corpse techniques were developed to mess with expectations and continuity, not to maximize it. Do what makes sence to you. If it doesn't work when you're out on the playa, improvise. You could try a sort of "round" thing in a circle. Campfires almost call out to exist when I say that, but find another center.

leslielandberg

storytelling

Post by leslielandberg » Tue May 25, 2004 2:20 pm

This is an old string, and here I come wandering in, practically my very first time on a discussion board EVER, and I hope I am not out of place for continuing the conversation, but I find it to be worthy of comment!

I love storytelling and have become very interested in it of late. It is a serious art form and no doubt there are some experienced practitioners of it out on the Playa, if you can find them! I also am a storyteller myself, and my primary medium is the written page. Although I am also an experienced performer in dramatic theatre, principally Shakespeare, Hellman and Williams, but also I sing opera and love the theatrical challenge to create naturalistic and believable characters while singing! In my writing, I do novels, plays and screenplays, as well as poetry and drama criticism.

I am sort of preparing fo next year at BM, because my next big installation will the a HUGE storytelling production, complete with firedancers, stages, sound systems and huge moveable lighted props. It's called the Fountain of Jewels, and it's about a spider and a cockroach who fall in love and tell each other stories to entertain one another when they're the only living things left on the earth after the nuclear halocaust. They are reminicing about people, their special qualities and spiritual conundrums and how much they miss them. It's about saving the world and promoting peace, before it's too late.

Anyway, I'd like to propose that there are some basic guidelines to a good story, and maybe they could be deliniated in a short hand form, so that the elements of story structure are broken down into chuncks, like beginning, middle and end. Only there is narrative, exposition, development, compication, resoloution and conclusion. Maybe people could be broken up into tag teams to handle that and it could be run like an improv game! Okay, team one, give us the opening! Team two will now present the main characters! Team three, give us the inciting incident, the problem! Team three will introduce more development of the story, or secondary lines! Team Four, please give us the complication, and so on to the resoloution, the denoument and the conclusion...sometimes things do take a while to tie up completely, other times they just well, END.

Let me know if you think this sounds like a workable plan...there's a lot of talent out there on the playa. Hope you get a chance to read this.

Love,
Leslie

leslielandberg

one more little thing...

Post by leslielandberg » Tue May 25, 2004 2:28 pm

for it to work well, there has to be concensus about what "sort" of story it is. I love wacky humor, but we'll get bored and won't be challenged if that's all we do. For it to really be a bold experiment in instant theatre, we must have audience participation and a little bit of structure. I propose that we have the following categories (more can be added later): western, sci-fi, fantasy, pirate, serious drama, romantic story, children's story, fable or existentialistic tale, chivalry. I know there's also comedy and there must be more categories I didn't think of. If any of the players strays off the chosen category, the audience should be encouraged to yell "No!" This keeps everyone awake, the story on track, people feeling included and prevents smarty-pants people from throwing a wrench in just when it's getting really good. On the other hand, those smarty-pants peope should be allowed a forum, too, because wacky is so much fun, so there should be a category called "anything goes!"

Well, that's my two and half cents. Hope I didn't offend anybody. I just liked the idea and wanted to help.

alienfry

Storytelling

Post by alienfry » Wed May 26, 2004 9:40 am

i'm developing my site for my camp: Kathanika

home of storytime shisha.

this will our 3rd year doing it.

this time instead of doing it in our own cafe we're looking to pack up our event and bring it to a different camp everyday.

our experiences with storytelling on the playa have been wonderful. folks have been respectful and well attentive. we've never had more than 15 or 16 people at a time, which is totally fine. usually there's only 6 or 7 people at a time with us. we've seen folks run back to their camps to grab their own materials; favorites or even things they wrote themselves. afternoons are perfect for storytelling because it's hot so everyone is laid back. sometimes it splits into 2 smaller circles with two different stories happening, but most often there's just the one circle / story.

i love listening but i almost enjoy moreso the reflection and discussion after a story/poem/song/monolog has been read.

i'll be sure to come back to this thread and contact anyone interested in storytelling (and smoking shisha) when the site is done.

best wishes,

jared
awesome oppossum

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”