Fun with Old Satellite Dishes?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
VerbenaMaya

Fun with Old Satellite Dishes?

Post by VerbenaMaya » Mon May 17, 2004 7:33 am

I am not much of a welder, but I have an old huge satellite dish that does nothing but sit in the backyard. I live in rural NC so I see these old relics all around and was thinking about what you could do with one.

I also have a little boat that half melted when my neighbor set my yard on fire, and I was thinking of salvaging the seats from the boat and mounting them in just the satellite bowl part and making something akin to a see saw, maybe adds some bars on the outside and two or more people could have a go at spinning it & occupants in circles like a gigantic spinning top.

Any other ideas on what to do with old satellite dishes?
[i]It's true that every time you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings.
But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap snap, an Angel gets set on fire.
- Jack Handy, Deep Thoughts [/i]

seandee

re: Fun with Old Satellite Dishes?

Post by seandee » Mon May 17, 2004 8:19 am

you could easily make a giant solar cooker with it, replacing the old focal point with a cooking platform, (watch out for very high temperatures) check out
http://www.mineralarts.com/solar/solar.html
:idea: you could probably line the thing with AOL cds to get some use out of them
you could make an interesting shade gazebo, inverted atop some struts
you could make an extremely long range wireless network reciever
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cg ... lParabolic
or a radio telescope
how about painting the inside with glowy stars and have your very own vault of heaven papasan-seesaw-shade topper combination that can be switched in purpose whenever the mood strikes.

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon May 17, 2004 10:25 am

or bolt a couple of 'em together to make a Giant Hamster Ball? How about fastening two together "mouth to mouth", making a UFO? (trim with ELwire and neon!)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

VerbenaMaya

Post by VerbenaMaya » Mon May 17, 2004 12:21 pm

Wow, those are all great ideas, thanks. Obtaining more is about as easy as saying to country neighbors, - hey ya'll want me to haul that thing off for ya and sweet talkin' some guys into helping to load it in the truck. Will pass on that solar cooker idea to the locals (~they'll probably be trying to figure out how to cook a pig on it~)

Am thinking with 2 of 'em and some support work, a shade-covered super-comfy rockin' papasan could be very fun. I was born in the philippines and miss those things. Could maybe decorate on an asian theme, shade part made to look like thatched palm roofing, base like rattan or something.

Hmm, I am getting this queesy image of being in a big tumbleweed tumbling across the desert. I dont think hamster balls come with breaks do they. But don't worry someone is crazy enough to make one and others and crazy enough to go for a roll.

But thanks, all great ideas...
[i]It's true that every time you hear a bell, an angel gets its wings.
But what they don't tell you is that every time you hear a mouse trap snap, an Angel gets set on fire.
- Jack Handy, Deep Thoughts [/i]

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue May 18, 2004 5:44 am

VerbenaMaya wrote:super-comfy rockin' papasan ...
.....hey, that's what they called me in school!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”