Camp Dogville

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
blindtoaster

Camp Dogville

Post by blindtoaster » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:24 pm

If we are really going to be a community, why do we exclude dogs? Admit it, you love the hairy beasts and you hate leaving them with your deadbeat friends when you go to BM. We can accomodate them just like we do kids. They just need a little care. So we form Camp Dogville. Get about a half-acre of 80 percent shade cloth, some misters, fake trees and and a bunch of old coaches. We offer doggy day care until it gets cool enough in the evening to take your dogs out. You offer addtional care in the evenings when people want to go out without their dogs.
Think of the fun and the added benefit to the community.
Howling night for one... why not? We let all those damned dirty hippies play drums all night, why not organized howling. Sure they sniff each others's butts too, but you've seen worse on the playa.

Let's make this a real community...bring on the dogs!

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:44 pm

OK virgin... equating kids can go with dogs can go is completely ass-backwards. This lesson was learned years ago and it's serious, the playa is a bad place for animals (damned dirty hippies aside).

So, we'd have rave camps on one end and non-stop fucking barking at the other end.

You obviously haven't been yet otherwise you'd know there's howling every night at sunset.

It's just a week, I'm sure you can wait to have sex until you get home. 8| Leave Fluffy and the peanut butter jar at home.

(feeling a little punchy today)

blindtoaster

humpf!

Post by blindtoaster » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:03 am

virgin? not even close and keep your dog abuse fantasies to yourself

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:31 am

Moot point, there are No Dogs Allowed.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

TechKnow_shaman

Post by TechKnow_shaman » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:45 pm

There have just been too many bad experiences in the past. While I'm sure that most dog owners could make the playa a good experience for their beloved buddy, the others have already spoiled it. As DeadlyKungFu said, the playa is a bad place for animals. It is extremely hot and dry, very noisy, and there are costumed freaks (myself included) everywhere. This can be very traumatic to a dog. Also the moop factor needs to be considered. Dogs and other animals cannot use the port-a-potties, and they shed. The dog camp sounds good in theory, but in practice I just don't think it would work.

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:56 pm

hahaha. Good one, and good one that people are freaking out about it!

Silver 2

Post by Silver 2 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:43 pm

Pads, the soles of a dog's feet. They will dry and crack faster than yours will. We all know how much dogs like having their feet messed with and how vigerously they will lick off anything slathered on their bodies.

In '02 I met seveal dogs and in each case I checked out and then reminded their owner to look after the dog's feet. In every case the owners said something like "Oh, I didn't think of that."

I stayed away from the horse thead but my first thought was how to deal with hooves and pads.

Go barefoot on the Playa for a full week without protecting your feet and then address the issue again.

s
I like playing with fire.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:38 pm

I believe it was 96 or 97 several dogs got away and got into nearby ranches. They were shot by the rancher before the could injure or kill livestock.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

_tears_

Post by _tears_ » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:48 pm

My dog could handle the loud sounds, and strange outfits, she does very well with those, and is VERY well trained, I keep her under my thumb.

But i LOVE my dog and I wouldnt submit her to the weather. She could probably handle it, but with a lot of extra care and if anything were to happen to her, heat stroke, getting loose or any number of things, I would be horribly upset, and feel so guilty.

She is also a Pit mix, and pits have a fairly bad rep, people would fear her ( not everyone of course, but a lot of people are scared of pits and dogs period ).

And she doesnt stay with any friends of mine, she stays at my mums house, although this year my boyfriend has offered to take her.
[size=84][color=red]
Tears 2003, 2004
[/color][/size]
[size=100][color=darkred]
The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
[/color][/size]

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:06 am

Woof!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:36 am

My dog's a dessert breed. As well adapted to the heat and climate as it's possible for a canine to be. However there's no way in hell I'd bring her to Burningman.

Not because it would be bad for her, I'm completely confidient of her abilty to handle the place, people, and playa at least as well as I can. But I'm *just* capable of being responsible for myself on the playa. As capable as she is she's still a dog and would be looking to me, first, to provide her water, food, shelter, security, and so on. Ug.

Taking care of one vaguely hairy ape, me, is enough work on the playa, thank you very much. Add a dog to the mix, and I'm working too hard for my vacation....

Ron, call me lazy

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:06 am

man i can be a rude little shit... sorry 'bout that, it was 4:30 on a Friday, and I was ready for the weekend.

playa foot for dogs, great point.

camp dyslexia doesn't allow gods on the playa, too much moop.

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:28 pm

My dog's a dessert breed.
what kind?

I grew up in a house full of Salukis.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:28 pm

In 96' I brought my "dessert dog". She had more fun than I did. My dog is a Queensland Blue Heeler, aka Australian Cattle Dog. They do well in that climate as their original purpose was cattle herding in the Aussie Outback. Not unlike the Playa. I would not bring her again, but 96' was quite different than now.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:41 pm

stuart wrote:
My dog's a dessert breed.
what kind?

I grew up in a house full of Salukis.
They're great dogs, but most are, IMHO. :) Mine's a Pharoah Hound. You can see pictures of her over at at http://www.pharaoh-hound.net/mara.html. I'm the coowner referred to on the page...;)

Ron

blindtoaster

Wooof!

Post by blindtoaster » Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:22 pm

Okay I admit I was yanking everyone's leashes a little, but all the negatives you mentioned actually could be taken care of if people wanted to put effort into making a camp for dogs. I have a brachiocephalic dog (if you don't know you don't have one) that has trouble with 80 degree weather.... but hey, as a methaphor for the the lengths we go to protect stupid, unprepared people.... well why not some shade cloth, misters and foot protection? :)

Bob

Post by Bob » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:49 pm

Woof!

Sounds cool -- let's make sure Camp Lamest Fucking Troll in the Burning Universe doesn't become one of Arnold's pound puppies.

Got an email address for more brilliant revelations?

blindtoaster

Bob of a thousand wisdoms?

Post by blindtoaster » Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:19 pm

Boo fucking hoo Bob, you want to parse out your 1207 posts for anything meaningful? It wasn't a troll, but you are. You repond to everything whether you have anything to really add or not. I said I was yanking your leashes "a little." I don't think it's that crazy to discuss accomodating dogs when we accomodate all sorts of other irresponsible behavior by providing a safety net for the truly irresponsible.

"Got an email for more brilliant revelations?"

What kind of lame-ass comeback is that? Did you mean to say "be sure to email me more brilliant revelation?"

jesus, you are the guy who keeps asking for a price check at the dollar store.

scarlet_minnow

Bravo!!

Post by scarlet_minnow » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:34 pm

I think your dog camp idea is great. I have a desert dog as well (basenji) and he would do fine in the heat... no problem with loud noises or costumed people... and basenjis don't bark. The playa would admittedly be hard on his paws, but I am sure that a flooring could be created for the dogs to be on during the day; presumably you will get some sleep, during which the dog would be with you all snug in your camp, so I'm thinking the dog would only be paws-on-playa for a few hours per day. A dip into a lemon or vinegar solution would be a good idea to get the bulk of the dust off tender paws.
As far as MOOP goes, human skin and hair sheds and no one bans people. At some point, MOOP is going to happen; the goal as I understand it is to make it as minimal as possible (i.e. you could brush your dog a few times per day and put that fur in the garbage; leave super-fuzzy dogs at home, etc)
Question for the community: I have a friend who has brought her dogs- she told me she had to pay a couple hundred dogs to get them "registered" or whatever, but she was allowed to bring them to Burning Man in recent years. Anyone know about this? All I have seen is NO DOGS PERIOD.
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:52 pm

the no dog rule was new last year

can you now buy goggles that fit dogs?

how about dust masks?

will dogs be allowed inside of adult oriented camps?

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:47 pm

Lark

Post by Lark » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:37 am

Phew! This is a thread about dogs! I was afraid someone was setting up a camp dedicated to that hunk of shit movie by Lars Von Trier.

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:19 pm

Woof.

R.I.P. Flynn's dog.

Hit by truck, as I recall.

YMMV.

pokiedot

Re: Wooof!

Post by pokiedot » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:28 pm

blindtoaster wrote: .... well why not some shade cloth, misters and foot protection? :)
how would the camp deal with the pee-pee issue? peeing on the playa is a no-no for humans, i'm assuming it would be for doggies as well. where would they 'go'?

Bob

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:21 pm

On your bedroll.

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:20 am

From the crime rate at BRC thread ;

DVD Burner wrote:
"I dont know about crime but this year it will be the moon that will cause unusual mystical events since it is supposed to be a full moon durring the event."

Robthe Wop wrote:
"Bummer. Unfortunately I turn into a werewolf during the full moon.

Even worse news is that no one can tell the difference. So if you see a big, furry beast, scratching himself and grunting- beware. If I growl, jump up, tear your heart out and eat it- I'm a werewolf. If I growl, jump up, tear your heart, eat it, and then ask your political affiliation- I'm just being myself."

Now see it's just that sort of thing happening that must have gotten dogs banned in the first place, Dogs are always being blamed for the actions of a few Italian werewolves.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:19 am

When Camp Dogville come up I thught the "ladys" of Salem were going to BM.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

nodule

Post by nodule » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:58 am

Most of the few dogs I've encountered on The Playa were not on leashes. Their owners appearently belived that shouting angry commands to the animals *after* they had annoyed people (if they even noticed), was having their dog "under control".

While I don't always object to being snuffled and slobbered on, I do object when it's by a dog. You can call me a speciesist, but even when it's with the right people, I generally prefer a little discusion first.

We do go to great lenghts to accomodate clueless unprepared people - but we don't like it. Also, those people rarely run around frighted or angry through streets, camps and groups of people. (I didn't say never, I said rarely). And when you do encounter them, you can generally talk some sense into them.

Dogs cannot prepare themselves for The Playa. They cannot take care of themselves on The Playa. Clueless unprepared pet owners create many more problems then clueless unprepared individuals.

I know that many pet owners are responsible, knowlegable people - but I haven't seen many at Burning Man.

Dan

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:05 am

I shouldn't even post.... but...

Fucko's ruined it for a good number of responsible animal owners by assuming that the 'gifting' culture included neighbor/hood(s) taking care of their animal while the absentee owners were shrooming around for 3 - 4 days at a time thinking that the animal was having as good a time as the owners. Assumptions/responsibilities on the part of neighbors (seemingly) included feeding, watering and cleaning-up-shit for a few days until mom and dad decided to come back to camp.

Ruined it pretty much for my 9 year Aussie vet Jackson.
Desert dogs drink deep.

drowned_saved

Post by drowned_saved » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:56 am

Ron wrote:My dog's a dessert breed.
Might go well with a riesling.

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”