Costume Updates

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
sparkletarte

Costume Updates

Post by sparkletarte » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:44 pm

I just returned from the big city armed with some costuming supplies...some great teal and gold lurex fabric, hot sparkly dancing pants, fun fur, fuzzy hats, black light body paints, and more. I'm excited about my costuming possibilities. I'm going to make a cape with the lurex, some pink and black fun fur hot shorts and a top, and modify some costumes I already have. I'm coming down with a big tickle trunk.

What are you costume heads working on?

~~~

Oh, I also have a question. I know there's no feather boas- does that include marabou boas? They are kind of the same but different...mine don't shed but I want to check in on that.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:48 am

Maribou is okay becuase it doesn't shed.

As far as costumes go, I've had to really scale back due to some personal stuff I've had to deal with recently. I've got 4 major outfits I hope to finish for BM--2 belly dance costumes, my ballerina, and if time permits, Peacock Version 2.0.

PurplMyst
Burning Since: 2004

Post by PurplMyst » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:38 am

two versions of Intergalactic Ambassador are complete
Stary Sky Girl complete
one Water Goddess daytime costume done & one to be finished this weekend.
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:49 am

Oooohhhh PurplMyst you just gave me a great idea with your Starry Sky Girl costume!!!

I'm glad to hear that marabou is a-okay. I may have a marabou costume. I also have a Super Goddess costume, a Fire costume, Gogo girl all ready...all I had before BM but they will be very suitable for the playa. I have some ideas for super space vixen too. Ivy, I just picked up some black light body paints for the glowing belly invasion!

How is the dust on velvets? I have a great black velvet goth dress I'd like to bring but I'm not sure how it will hold up....it's part of my Medusa get up.

How on earth am I going to cross the border with all these outfits?! I hope they don't want to take a look around my truck...it will be tough to explain a dress up camping trip.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:35 am

Velvet = dust magnet.

However, depending on the condition of the garment, you can gently wash it or dry clean it after BM.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:40 am

Ya know, I spent a whole bunch of time and money putting together costumes last year, and just spent the whole week running around in underoos. This year, I'm just investing in a cape...
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:08 am

He He, we just finished a cape. Red velvet with a gold satin inner layer and a high collar. It's warm and soft and I'm going to have a lot of fun wearing it!
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:11 am

I can't wait to see it, I'm very excited for you!

scarlet_minnow

Cloud costume

Post by scarlet_minnow » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:08 pm

I am creating an outfit made entirely (OK, I lied, there is a base layer) of cotton balls. It will be my cloud costume. I was inspired last year by people who made outfits out of cheap bulk items and viola! Inspiration struck.
Of course, by the end of the week, the costume will be playafied, but such is the transitory nature of "art"!
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess

pokiedot

Post by pokiedot » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:37 pm

JezebelinHell wrote:Ya know, I spent a whole bunch of time and money putting together costumes last year, and just spent the whole week running around in underoos. This year, I'm just investing in a cape...

seriously. i had several costume items that never saw the playa last year. this year i'm being a lot more honest with myself about what i actually wear during the day: underwear.

i did, however, get lots of use out of the one night time costume i made for myself. people always forget about bringing styley warm clothes. there's nothing worse than going out at night in your most exciting costume with a big 'ol jacket covering it up, so remember to design yourselves warm costumes, too.

on my sewing to-do list for this year:
a new spacey a-line go-go dress.
pajama bell bottoms for my boy.
bikini tops and hot pants for daytime.
and a space helmet! i want to sew a fleece lined helmet for cold nights!

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:54 pm

there's nothing worse than going out at night in your most exciting costume with a big 'ol jacket covering it up, so remember to design yourselves warm costumes, too.
Unless your coat looks like this:

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:12 pm

Unless your coat looks like this
Yes, aren't you proud, the happy mom with her monser baby. But only insiders know what kinda hot stuff is underneath that coat, right Ivy?

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:12 pm

Unless your coat looks like this
Yes, aren't you proud, the happy mom with her monser baby. But only insiders know what kinda hot stuff is underneath that coat, right Ivy?

pokiedot

Post by pokiedot » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:29 pm

Ivy wrote:
there's nothing worse than going out at night in your most exciting costume with a big 'ol jacket covering it up, so remember to design yourselves warm costumes, too.
Unless your coat looks like this:
your coat rules supreme over the universe of coats!

i bet it's blinding in blacklight. nicey.

Larissa

Post by Larissa » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:15 pm

I just finished one costume last night. I was going for a space-girl kind of look, but I think i sort of look more like a disco ball, lol. It totally works though, I love it. Now on to the next one......

Dardanian

Flying too high

Post by Dardanian » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:42 am

I know the angel thing has been done, but I decided my one "over the top" costume this year should fit with the theme. It goes well with the flaming sword and some high-output lights I'm going to frame around my collar and cover over with amber cellophane to make a halo effect:-) Definitely a nighttime only affair!

I do have a problem and need a bit of help: I have these great 40" black angel wings made of ostrich feathers. They are pretty well fixed to the frame but I am trying really hard to ensure I don't create MOOP(matter out of place.) My current thought is that I will rub them down with some sort of soft wax such as what is used on surfboards, though I'm worried I might get a bit of Icarus type melting. Any thoughts?

Beyond that I am trying to figure out costumes I can work around my material of choice (since it worked so well last year): Light colored linnen washed with UV protecting Rit. No more sunburn for me, even if it means 101 variations of Spartan Warrior/Harem Guard for costume.

Love Josephene's Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, by the way!
-Christopher of Aeneadae
Per ardua ad astra

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”