Critical Tits

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
kiddo

Critical Tits

Post by kiddo » Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:45 pm

I'm volunteering at Camparctica and I was wondering if anyburner knows when the Critical Tits parade is, as I want to ride in it again and don't want to schedule my shift at the ice during the parade. Thanks.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:08 pm

I wouldn't expect it to be announced before the event.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

kiddo

Post by kiddo » Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:54 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured, but it was worth a shot.

Lovemonkey

Post by Lovemonkey » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:10 pm

Critical Tits has been at 4:00 on Friday for at least the last 4 years. I'd guess it'll be the same this year.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:30 pm

Oh man, that's when the yahoo fratboys drool on the playa and some of them burn the drive motors out on their cameras. I think I'll go visit the art out past the temple about that time and avoid the whole thing so I don't slug a few of the voyeurs. Thanks for the reminder.

Aliceinswingland

Post by Aliceinswingland » Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:36 pm

Tancorix wrote:Oh man, that's when the yahoo fratboys drool on the playa and some of them burn the drive motors out on their cameras. I think I'll go visit the art out past the temple about that time and avoid the whole thing so I don't slug a few of the voyeurs. Thanks for the reminder.
I think that is really a cheap shot. This is nothing like Mardi Gras. It about women enjoying the freedom. This isn't about sex or voyeurs as you imply.

Vicki

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:11 pm

Aliceinswingland wrote:
Tancorix wrote:Oh man, that's when the yahoo fratboys drool on the playa and some of them burn the drive motors out on their cameras. I think I'll go visit the art out past the temple about that time and avoid the whole thing so I don't slug a few of the voyeurs. Thanks for the reminder.
I think that is really a cheap shot. This is nothing like Mardi Gras. It about women enjoying the freedom. This isn't about sex or voyeurs as you imply.

Vicki
I think what Tancorix was refering to was 'yahooism'. Critical Tits has always seemed to me to be more of a by-the-women, for-the-women type of event; not strictly so, but for the most part, anyway. I hate feeling too much like a spectator at BM as it is (sometimes when I'm watching a band or waiting for the burn, etc.) but the CT thing... Personally, I think it would bring out my inner yahoo; which is why I've never seen it. Don't get me wrong, the women I've seen from the suburbs heading off on their bikes for the CT parade look incredibly beautiful and proud, but again with the by-the for-the thing. I just don't imagine any of them are doing it for my sake. I do say 'God bless 'em', though.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:10 pm

It was definitely NOT meant to be a cheap shot. But I know what I saw from the people watching where I was. A guy with his Nikon cranking away. Another guy literally, and I mean literally drooling. And the piece de reistance was a sorry son of a bitch playing with himself under his robe he had on as he watched the women ride by. I'm sorry but public masturbation is wrong in my book.

I have no problem with what CT is about or the women that ride in it and I wish them the best. But some of the spectators and their total lack of respect just pisses me off. I did notify a Ranger about the masturbating freak but by the time we got back over there to try and nail the idiot he was gone as the riders had already passed.

kiddo

Post by kiddo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:13 am

Wow, that is really amazing. I can't believe the complete lack of respect. I know when I ride in CT that there are those types of people in the crowd, but I definitely ride in it for myself, because it makes me feel proud to be woman and proud to ride with all my amazing, beautiful sisters. To hell with 'em. I do it for me.

Aliceinswingland

Post by Aliceinswingland » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:21 pm

I really think that Critical Tits is empowering for women. 95% of the crowd watching is very respectful and they can feel the power.

Anytime you have gathering as large as Burning Man there are bound to be a few jerks. Yes a few people take a lot of pictures but I think most just take one for the memory or of friends who are riding. Even if someone was taking a lot of pictures, I could care less. This event isn't about sex. I enjoy the ride and I do it for me, no one else. I would never let someone taking a few picture take away from that experience.

I really saw very little sexual activity at BM. In my opinion BM is a sensual event and I guess you could call it sexy but with all the dust and dirt it's really hard to feel sexy. I think you had the misfortune to being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm just not sure slugging a few voyeurs is the answer. If it were I'm just guessing that we would all get slugged more than a few times.

Just my opinion,

Vicki

kiddo

Post by kiddo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:40 pm

Right on

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:59 pm

Last year was the first time we were out near the ride, so hubby and I stopped the bike. One guy was shouting"sexy" and such, general jerkiness. I had a chat with him about the origins of CT, and I swear I saw the lightbulb flash. He did keep hollering, but at least is was more along the lines of "you rock." Sometimes a little education goes a long way.

I may actually participate this year as I have breast cancer, and as I understand it, the ride did begin as friends honoring their friend with BC. Never was interested in riding in it before, but now the entire thing has a new, personal context. I'm delaying my radiation treatments so I can go to Burning Man; I'm guessing some solar radiation may do me good.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:07 pm

Meanwhile, Critical Dicks just sits there waiting to be revived... as it were.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Ozone

Post by Ozone » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:57 pm

Yeah I thought it was a great balance of women acknowledging that IRL our society is supra-worried about having boobies covered, and... hooray for noobs of every kind.

I'm not gonna pretend I don't like boobs, but there's a lot more going on than gawking and wanking (that's awful).

kiddo

Post by kiddo » Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:40 am

AntiM, I think that is amazing. I hope to get to meet at Home this year... much love and much respect.

Lostfolio

Post by Lostfolio » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:49 am

Ozone wrote:Yeah I thought it was a great balance of women acknowledging that IRL our society is supra-worried about having boobies covered, and... hooray for noobs of every kind.

I'm not gonna pretend I don't like boobs, but there's a lot more going on than gawking and wanking (that's awful).
But...but...but...whuh >sniffle< where else are you going to get a chance to see boobies at Burningman?

But seriously folks, I remember when a bunch of women friends, my FI-ance included, went off to ride in CT last year. I missed seeing the actual ride as I was doing repair work on the ol' camp, but when they returned many hours later, they all had grins so wide, that they extended off their faces.
Love pussy, hate Bush

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:24 pm

AntiM, thank you, I didn't know CT had such a noble beginning in re: breaast cancer support. I'll make sure to pass it along. And all the best with your treatment.

I feel Tancroix's pain. I, too, loath the paparazzi (had you not seen enough bare breasts by Friday afternoon?) But what I find a thousand times worse are the clueless yahoos who ride IN the procession itself.

Are these the same jerks who rip off stuff while everyone's out watching the Man burn?

That said, I think CT is great. It's one of my favorite events just because the women seem to be having so much fun, and, well, cause they're half-nekkid.

As the man says, "ain't nothing wrong with that."
Irony. You're soaking in it.

melanie

Post by melanie » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:35 am

I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal about Critical Tits. For the love of god, there's people running around naked all week. CT was one of my best experiences at BM last year, because it is for the women. The love I felt while riding and later at the party was amazing.
But a few arguments: if you're not participating (riding), and if you're male you can't, the only thing you can do (besides turn your back or run away) is to watch. That actually IS part of the participation of a parade. I saw men, women, and children smiling and clapping for CT participants. If you are not supporting the people in a parade, it's not really a parade, is it? And geez, folks, how can you not be in awe seeing thousands of pairs of breasts? Women are beautiful and wonderful to look at. I remember two gentlemen watching the parade last year and hearing one say to his friend "It just doesn't stop!!!". It is amazing, even possibly jaw-dropping to some. CT is a wonderful event, and I know there are gawker/slimeball types that may need some education, as in AntiM's story (you rule, AntiM: help the problem rather than judge).
I think that's all I have to say. I love CT and look forward to sharing my feminity with parade-riders and goers alike.

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:50 am

Among the many amazing things about CT is when you stumble upon it while trying to cross one of the streets AND YOU CAN'T! There are some many women rolling past that to dash across would be suicide. Sure, there are tits, but what I see is a fuckin' awe-inspiring display of togetherness. Frankly reminds me of Gay Pride in NYC when Fifth Avenue is like a bubbling river of happy people, and crossing is not an option. Rock on, indeed.

- Bucket

buckethead alien
Burning Since: 1997

Post by buckethead alien » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:51 am

Wow, I previewed and everything, but I meant to say

"SO MANY WOMEN" not "some many women"

But you got that, didn't you, kind reader?

- Bucket

nym

Post by nym » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:15 pm

EB wrote:had you not seen enough bare breasts by Friday afternoon
I don't think I'll ever see enough bare breasts. Maybe if we saw them more often, nudity wouldn't be so taboo.

scarlet_minnow

Post by scarlet_minnow » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:24 am

The CT parade was one of my best memories from Burning Man '03. Yeah, there were the yahoos shouting stupid stuff and oogling and such, but whatever. More importantly were the great guys in the crowd- the guy who threw a burgandy boa-scarf around my neck as I rode by... the guy who gave me a bite of frozen-solid, home-made blueberry ice cream... and the people who just smile, cheer, bow, or clap. Ignore the fools and celebrate sisterly solidarity! Oh yeah- and put down the camara and just commit the beautiful sight to memory... if I ever show up on a "Girls Gone Wild" video, I'm suing someone.
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:14 pm

What if we had a parade and no one showed up?

I'm a little confused. My first year I was up on the base of the man and my girlfriend was doing the ride. I enjoyed looking. Who wouldn't, it's a pretty awe inspiring sight. But is some sort of sin committed by a male looking at all these beautiful woman riding by?

I missed it the second year and this year may or may not catch it.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:54 am

scarlet minnow said
if I ever show up on a "Girls Gone Wild" video, I'm suing someone.
hehe, if I ever show up on a Girls Gone Wild video, their viewers would be suing them. hehe. just sayin'

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:57 am

Wait! I could be in "Cells Gone Wild" woohoo!

orangepeelmoses

critical tits

Post by orangepeelmoses » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:42 am

critical tits has to be one of the most inspiring events in the entire world.
hands down.

opm
http://www.facebook.com/Orangepeelmoses

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:42 pm

I like the name, because all tits are critical, really.

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”