Need Donations for Random Pizza Experience

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
tundratommy

Need Donations for Random Pizza Experience

Post by tundratommy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:01 pm

I am reaching out to all of those in the pizza community.

I need free (or cheap) pizza dough and free (or cheap) pizza cheese and free (or cheap) pizza sauce for the Random Pizza Experience: a Burning Man theme/art/experience/community. My ramblings about Random Pizza Experience are below.

I figure there are people who randomly search eplaya who manage/own/work at a pizza shop in San Fran (or elsewhere) who might have some ways to help out. I have some money to spend, but the less we spend per pizza, the more pizzas we make. Maybe you’d like to barter for some photography? I’ll make your pizzas look amazing! Or maybe a nice photo of your dog? Or a massage from someone who knows what they’re doing? (not me, FYI). If you’ve got dough to offer, I’m open to trades. I probably have some technology junk laying around.

I also wouldn’t mind a pizza oven, or pizza plates, or a pizza spatula thing.

Thoughts?
Random Pizza Experience (2:30 & Mecury)

========================================

Ramblings About The Random Pizza Experience

For a few years, I’ve been ruminating on creating an interactive performance experience for Burning Man. The center for the experience will be a camp, but the experience is playa-wide. We have a few core individual ready to crank out the logistics to make it happen, but we are in need of a few things, which we’ll get to in a moment. The Idea: Random Pizza Experience.

The basic ideas is to randomly deliver pizzas throughout the playa to individuals and groups who not have “ordered” pizzas, but who, perhaps upon deeper soul searching realize that they had indeed “called” out for a pizza. And we answered their call. We - the members of the Random Pizza Community.

The pizza box has on the outside, a mapped location for the center of the Random Pizza Experience and asks that they return the box marking on the box where they were when they got the pizza. If they’d like to write something on the box about themselves or their thoughts they had while eating pizza they are welcome.

Back at HQ we’ll track where the cumulative movements of the pizza. For reasons that won’t be entirely clear for some time.

DANGER: Self-indulgent semi-art validation below!!!
========================================
In a possibly slightly cheesy way, this random pizza delivery experience shows how we’re all part of a great community: the Random Pizza Community. And how the moment when people share pizza randomly is a time mark of a crossing of stories. The delivery person, who randomly rode by a camp and became randomly became a pizza delivery person, to the pizza maker to the pizza eater who all engaged in this experience randomly, but who can later use it as a time marker for their mutual experience. In a way it is a line that binds all the stories in the pizza community. Whatever. But maybe?

As for how you “get a pizza” it’s pretty simple: make 2 pizzas (or more) and keep one for yourself/group. Using a laminated pizza instruction sheet anyone can make a pizza. So all the pizza making labor is provided randomly. Of course making, pizza by members of the Random Pizza Community are always appreciated.

So, I have everything we need - the theme camp location secured on the playa and the idea recipe – except for people, ingredients, and a pizza oven.

At the playa we don’t need a lot of people, but everyone would have a place to hang out while the random people of the playa came over to make pizzas, deliver pizzas, and return pizza boxes, creating a little eddy of random interactions.

So here’s what we/I need help with:

A pizza oven:
Personally, I’d like a propane pizza oven like those at festivals. I’ve also considered (if we can find a way to bring it to the playa) a full size home oven that has been converted to propane. Or some people think we should create wood fired grill ovens.

Pizza ingredients:
Dough
Sauce
Cheese
Pepperoni
Peppers
Mushrooms
Onions
Pizza Boxes

Pizza Boxes:
Ideally with a cool designed pizza label – maybe some hand painted on the box

Personally, I’d like to have enough ingredients to make 500 pizzas (that’s 5 per hour, 20hrs per day for 5 days), but whatever. The more pizzas the better, but fewer won’t dampen my pizza enthusiasm. Budget is a concern (as in spending as little as possible) but there is some money in the kitty (donations welcome!).

SOUNDS GREAT, NOW WHAT??
======================================
If you think you are interested in becoming part of the Random Pizza Camp you can:

a) come to our camp and make a pizza…
b) help us find/borrow/buy-on-the-cheap a pizza oven…
c) help us find someone who runs a pizza business who has some ingredients to sell/donate…
d) offer to help do something, whatever, maybe a shade structure or solar powered fridge…
e) help us create a pizza box layout…
f) suggest a way to keep pizza ingredients cool on the playa…
g) suggest something completely random, which somehow in the end was actually applicable…
h) write and tell me how much fun this sounds but how you can’t help and wish me luck…

Here’s what you should not do:

Write me to tell me what an idiot I am or how [insert your negative comment here] this idea is. But if you really need to, I promise to read it.

Tundra Tommy

PS I’m not making this up…I mean, I am, but I’m serious.

Zona_the_stona

Post by Zona_the_stona » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:39 pm

I choose "h"

that does sound awesome and I wish you luck.

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:33 am

Alas, I have no extra cash or pizza making equipment, but I'd love to do some cooking/deliveries. What was your playa address?
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

cowgirl

pizza sluts?

Post by cowgirl » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:13 am

are you the pizza sluts from last year?

we got one of your pizzas and loved it!

cowgirl

pizza sluts?

Post by cowgirl » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:13 am

are you the pizza sluts from last year?

we got one of your pizzas and loved it!

markslut

Pizza

Post by markslut » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:32 pm

The Pizza Sluts will be back in BRC. We have used solar ovens with the pre-cooked Bobali crusts - the ovens get to about 250 which is good for cheese and ingredient cooking but I am not sure it would work with dough. On the one cloudy day last year we cooked pizza over charcoal in a webber and we hope to use the bbqs to add a night time delivery service this year.

I've thought about dough but having something that sticky around all the dust is a bit scary to me.

good luck...

mark

sator

Post by sator » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:44 pm

Great, great, great idea. No I mean this is one fine great idea.

I make pizza at home all the time, cook'n it in my immovable pizza oven. So, no oven for you. But I can give you a couple of 18" screens (if that's what you mean by pizza plates), and a pizza peel (if that's what you mean by a pizza spatula thing). I can also give you a great, easy recipe for dough. And last I can remind you that many of us veggies have nightmares about people delivering pizzas with peperoni. Everybody loves a pizza on the playa, with or without meat. Save yourself some money and leave off the meat.

Hazzard

Post by Hazzard » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:13 pm

Yeah, Pizza Sluts! When we were first setting up the camp last year, I cracked a joke around dinnertime, asking if anyone wanted to call out for pizza. Just a silly thing to say in the desert and I promptly forgot about it.

So at the end of the week (actually, burn night, if I recall), the Pizza Sluts showed up at our camp with a delicious fresh pizza. They said they were delivering pizzas to randomly picked camps and ours came up.

Coincidence? Or conspiracy due to some loop in space-time that only happens on the playa? Either way, the pizza was damn tasty.

Rah-Rah

pie

Post by Rah-Rah » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:14 pm

The friend with the Boboli idea has got it right. Making/ cooking pizza dough on the playa could be a nightmare. I had a ten year stint in the pizza industry and creating the proper heat to not have a doughy pizza could be rather difficult (500-550 degrees). Also, cheese, unless FRESHLY grated will clump back together in the heat. So, my suggestion is to have preshredded cheese (like the stuff you get at the store for pizza, Mexican food, etc.) will be a blessing to you. It is coated with an edible silicate that prevents this annoying clumping problem. Too, garlic, although a great remedy for many things, is highly succeptible to bacterial growth without proper storage (you don't want to deliver the Harvies around town). Otherwise, good luck. I think I'll stop by for a while and make a couple of pies!

Rah-Rah

pie

Post by Rah-Rah » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:14 pm

The friend with the Boboli idea has got it right. Making/ cooking pizza dough on the playa could be a nightmare. I had a ten year stint in the pizza industry and creating the proper heat to not have a doughy pizza could be rather difficult (500-550 degrees). Also, cheese, unless FRESHLY grated will clump back together in the heat. So, my suggestion is to have preshredded cheese (like the stuff you get at the store for pizza, Mexican food, etc.) will be a blessing to you. It is coated with an edible silicate that prevents this annoying clumping problem. Too, garlic, although a great remedy for many things, is highly succeptible to bacterial growth without proper storage (you don't want to deliver the Harvies around town). Otherwise, good luck. I think I'll stop by for a while and make a couple of pies!

markslut

Pizza

Post by markslut » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:36 pm

The Pizza Sluts have somewhat limited resources (I am hoping 5 of the solar ovens work and for a couple of bbqs) but contact me at markhesters@gmail.com and there may be a way to join forces for a more limited deilvery (I think we were stretched resource wise - crusts/fixings/solar energy -to deliver more than 100 for the week last year - we also ate quite a few).

mark

diggum

Post by diggum » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:02 pm

blech. i hate boboli crusts.

a few of us are planning to do a playa pizza delivery service, late at night, with surprise deliveries to various spots. ruled out pre-making the pies right away, as well as making our own dough (really the only way, in my completely biased, italian, ex restaurant running opinion.)

I think we'll probably get a bunch of pre-made dough from Trader Joes (99 cents each) which is surprisingly pretty good. either pre-made sauce, or jar and freeze our own, bagged ingredients, and big bags of shredded mozz. some parm, of course, and we're good to go.

My converted school bus has a full propane oven that'll hit the right temps, though I'll only be able to cook one at a time. No worry. I'm sure it'll all work out, and if not, I'll have a bunch of pizza. yum.

tundratommy

Making Pizza Progress...

Post by tundratommy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:05 pm

Thanks for all the thought and insights on playa pizza.

I think I have a line on an oven and transportation of the oven. Any suggestions on converting a gas oven to propane are appreciated.

The ingredients I think will be shuttled in groups of 25-50 "sets" of ingredients (dough/sauce/cheese) from either:

a) a yet to be identified Pizza Parlor
b) Trader Joes & CostCo.

TJs has dough from $1 and CostCo has Sauce and Cheese in volume.

The ingredient shuttlers are TBD. I will bring 50-100 sets up Monday and the wife will bring another 50 or so on Thursday Night. So if I can find some folks willing to bring up ingredients on say Tues/Wed/Fri we'll be set. Of course, I can paypal whoever ends up being out pizza "mules"

As I said, this will be brought together by the greater pizza community. Pizza for the people, by the people!

Any direct thoughts can be sent to me at tom (at) kramertown (dot) com

Tundra Tommy

PS If you want to contribute to the Random Pizza Experience by a) sending $$ or b) offering to pick up and deliver ingredients please let me know!

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”