Anyone have problems with Playa Art acceptance??

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
lava

Anyone have problems with Playa Art acceptance??

Postby lava » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:05 pm

I'm wondering if anybody had problems with BRC Art Authorities refusing their Playa Art Installations?? I've encountered problems that include confusion, inappropriate accusations, and power tripping by BRC art authorities. Unfortunately, I just read over the scheduled Playa Art Installations and found one project that contained the same materials as mine, however my project was nixed. Lookin for others with the same problem.
Freedom Fighter

Steven bradford

Postby Steven bradford » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:09 pm

Pretty hard to know, without knowing what your problem is.

Burning man "authourities".

Now that's funny.

Roo

Postby Roo » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:33 am

Yeah, it hasn't been the easiest year for anyone, it seems.

Dork

Postby Dork » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:06 am

Confusion is pretty standard around these parts. Head tripping at times. What do you mean by "inappropriate accusations"?

Where you given a reason for the nixing?

Isotopia

Postby Isotopia » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:25 pm

I'm wondering if anybody had problems with BRC Art Authorities refusing their Playa Art Installations?? I've encountered problems that include confusion, inappropriate accusations, and power tripping by BRC art authorities. Unfortunately, I just read over the scheduled Playa Art Installations and found one project that contained the same materials as mine, however my project was nixed. Lookin for others with the same problem.

If the proposal was as vague and non-specific as the above I can see where you might get some negative feedback around your project.

lava

If it smells feculent, it probably is. . . . .

Postby lava » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:28 am

My vague approach was my way of not having to roll through fecal matter one more time, however I appreciate the interest and well, here goes:
I submitted my art install application in the manner requested online. It was submitted on time, and described as a "Desert Canine" or "Man's Best Friend". The piece is 8 feet tall, 15 feet long, and 4.5 feet wide. The sculpture is that of a dog that appears to be "Bustin Ass" across the desert and has a big grin on. It is constructed of logs, branches, and bark that was shed from cottonwood and poplar trees that are greater than 100 years old. The logs and branches are wrapped with bailing wire to reinforce them and add strength. The pieces are held together by 3 inch wood screws as well as barbed wire wraps at every joint. The strips of bark that were used were 2-3 inches thick, 4 feet long or greater and 1 1/2 feet wide. They are layered in "roof shingle" fashion, sewn together with 18 guage wire and then screwed into the logs again with 3 inch screws. The materials used in this piece were reaped from the Nevada "High Desert" approximately 80 miles southeast of the Black Rock Desert. I've worked with this medium for approximately 20 years and my materials consist of pieces offered up by the Nevada Desert. The piece was built under the Nevada sun and has also sustained the same winds encountered in the Black Rock Desert. The piece was to be placed on a trailer and driven to BRC as well. It was built to incur the stress of the trip.
My confusion rests on Lady Bee complaining that I waited until the "last minute" to submit my application even though it was sent in on time. She accused me of trying to send her a package containing a virus when in fact it was a one page document with an illustration of the piece, its dimensions, and a description of the materials used as well as its construction. She complained that I was sending my information to the wrong person, "her", and requested that I deal with Dave X directly. I followed her request and submitted my information to Dave X. She continued to retrieve my communication, and respond to it, even though it was sent to Dave X. Dave X then accused me of not following through and providing the information that he had requested. He then, requested more information, stating that my piece would not be accepted because it was made out of "TWIGS". I, again, sent my info, and Lady Bee retrieved it and responded to it. She, accused me of sending unnecessary information (however the application requires such).
This fiasco finally ended when I received an e-mail from Lady Bee stating that my piece would not be accepted because the materials used included tree branches, twigs, and bark, which were banned at BRC. I called Dave X, who seemed to be very cool and courteous. He said that I could take the piece to BRC and request a POS after filling out more paperwork. He said that if a space was available, my sculpture would be placed on the Playa. Because the piece is large and very heavy, a company had been hired to place the piece on the Playa with a boom. Dave X also said that if I were not granted the privelege of placing it on the Playa, I could always place it at my camp site. It seemed that he was somewhat empathetic, and realized what a ridiculous situation this had become.
Lady Bee has the title of "Art Curator". For the event, at hand, the title alone is somewhat inappropriate. "Authority" was a term that I used to describe highly authoritative behavior, and in all honesty, it was an unsuitable term for the autocratic style that I encountered.
A simple refusal or "NO" would have been acceptable, but the aroma of bullshit that came with it was not.
Freedom Fighter

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”