Iridium Flares and Space Station at BRC 2004

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.
jellibee

Iridium Flares and Space Station at BRC 2004

Post by jellibee » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:57 pm

There will be plenty of satellites traversing our Vault of Heaven during Burning Man 2004. I saw my first Iridium Flare at Burning Man 2002 and since I was going to collect the data for this year, I thought I'd post it too!

See Iridium Flares and the Internation Space Station traverse our Vault of Heaven this year!

http://www.RadioOpium.com/habrc.html

-jelliebee

burningflyer

Clive Project

Post by burningflyer » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:45 pm

OK then this AEZ project is for you!

The Iridium Flare Tracker
A 2004 BurningMan project
for the Alternative Energy Zone village

http://moro.fbrtech.com/~tora/IFT/

See you in the AEZ!

jellibee

Post by jellibee » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:33 pm

Awesome job! I've added a link to my page to the site. I will definitely be stopping by!

I saw my first flare at Burning Man thanks to an art installation on the path out to the man that had all the Flare data. Although I had brought my satellite data with me, I had never heard of flares until I stumbled upon this art installation!

Woo hoo!

-jelliebee

bdongray

Post by bdongray » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:23 pm

jellibee wrote:Awesome job! I've added a link to my page to the site. I will definitely be stopping by!

I saw my first flare at Burning Man thanks to an art installation on the path out to the man that had all the Flare data. Although I had brought my satellite data with me, I had never heard of flares until I stumbled upon this art installation!
-jelliebee
I'll be stopping by too.
In 2002 I brought Iridium flare data, but there were no mag > -6 at good altitude angles.

Flares do look impressive, and on the Playa I was pleased by a mag -4 I saw, and warned a few passers by to watch. THey were impressed.

I didn't know about a camp. I do now. Thanks.

PS I saw <i>my</i> first on Christmas day 1999, which happened to be preceeded 30 seconds earlier by a good shooting star, in the same area of the sky. I initially thought perhaps that was it, and maybe my watch (or heaven-above) was off, but was surprised (and suspicious) at the speed! So I waited, and saw the real thing seconds later. Not as impressive as the shooting star, but a mag of -6 was very good for something man-made, and so far away.
I recommend everyone should see one.
--
Bryan

Return to “2004 Camps, Art & Activities”