How Do You Feel About Go-Peds / Gas Scooters?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Re: electric scooters

Post by EB » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:21 pm

katherineburdekin wrote:hi yall. im a first time burner so i really dont want to be pissing people off but my bike was just stolen with the lock and i have a electric zappy scooter sitting in my moms garage that i was thinking about bringing. what do people think?
My advice is to leave the scooter and the attendant headaches at home:
-- if it's a sitdown, that's a no-no. What if they take it at the gate?
-- is the battery good? Will it take the heat for 5+ days? Are you sure?
-- Do you have the key? What if you lose it? Where are you going to keep it? What if the scooter gets stolen?
-- Every walk around somebody's apartment with your eyes closed? That's kind of like what the open playa is like at night. You've got to have your head on a swivel to keep from running into/getting run into. Multiply that by 100 on a scooter. Then multiply THAT by 100 for being your first time.
-- What if you cream somebody? Are you covered by your car insurance? Are they? Could they go after your mom (the owner?)

Starting to get the picture?

It's not that I'm against scooters per se, but they just seem silly. They're a great way to get somewhere REALLY FAST but you're on the one place on earth where that trait DOESN'T MATTER! It's playa time!

I'd re-double my efforts to find a beater bike and decorate it. They city is perfect for bikes. It's too big for walking (IMHO) and too small for mopeds. Also, I think you'll find it difficult to make connections with people when you're on a scooter and they're on a bike/walking and those random, chat-me-ups on the playa are pretty cool, ask any of the old timers. My first impression of somebody zipping by me on a scooter is much different from somebody riding passed on a bike, when you're out there you'll see.

Good luck and have fun!
Irony. You're soaking in it.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:23 pm

People generally don't mind motorized scooters until they go speeding by way too fast or kick up a ton of dust. There are lots of rude people out there who do that, so people get annoyed at them. I don't know about what they'll accept or deny though. Better do some reading on the burningman site.

playa_surfer

Post by playa_surfer » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:19 pm

[quote="Archantael"]The BM ORG policy on not allowing seats on Go-Peds is arbitrary and capricious. But it's definitely too late to do anything about it prior to the event this year...so yep, you're stuck standing up. It sucks.

That being said post event make sure to take advantage of the ORG's request for feedback and give them some on why this is wrong. Some disabled people don't like having to make a Broadway production out of it to get reasonable accomodations and take care of their basic transport needs. If the rules were to allow sit down, 25cc or smaller scooters IMHO it would appease quite a few people who silently grumble about this.

I also admit that when it comes to scooters I have a second angle to push. Art Cars as they are currently defined have become expensive to build and operate in BRC and I feel that cost is keeping some creative and innovative ideas from making it onto the playa. What I'd like to see is the rules modified to let people build small, sit down art vehicles that are limited to 5 mph, that are illuminated for night use, and that have to be radically altered. But they could have a choice of powerplant ranging from a small 25cc or smaller gas engine, or maybe an electric motor that is powered by a battery cart / solar panel type setup either on the vehicle or towed behind it. In short, think mini-art car. No golf carts either...those are too big.[b] Think steel tube frames. Scooter frames or bicycle frames that are the source and modified from there as a starting point. [/b]

I don't know how this idea is going to be accepted but everything at BM seems to be focused on bigger, badder, better, and of course the mo' money, mo' money, we need mo' money mindset. I'd like to see another avenue for participation on a smaller scale opened up...something that offers the builder a chance at high visibility and challenges their creativity...and can be done for a relatively low cost. The idea might encourage reuse of bicycle frames and get people to pick up a welder and learn a new skill. It could cause people to seek out and find sources for more efficient solar panels that are vibration tolerant...on and on it goes.[/quote]

That's what I'm talking about!

Recycled bike framed, pedal powered, and electric powered. 2 seat recumbant.

[img]http://www.grubbenterprises.com/burningman/hybrid.jpg[/img]
[url]http://www.grubbenterprises.com/burningman/hybrid.jpg[/url]
Pink is the new black.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:27 am

I despise motorized scooters on the playa and have never once seen one of the noisy little bastards going anywhere near 5mph.

I intend to use them for target practice this year.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:28 am

The smaller ones tend to be noisier, part of what is wrong with the policy now.
They can be made quieter though.
Maybe they are also harder to stabilize at lower speeds without a seat?
With the tiny wheels they stir up dust and seem to be going too fast even when they aren't.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:04 am

\/the problem seem to be taking care of it s self.. in 05 the damn things were like flys.. but the dust cleared out most of them by mid week.. people that don t know how to muffel them, don t know how to keep them running..

there were fewer in o6.. and again the dust ate most of them by mid week..

it would cost more to pay some one to work on them at home than there worth.. so the scooter sit and rots from the playa dust until next year.. by then it s to late.. just throw em in the dump..

they are going out of style here in the default.. the ones running on the streets are pretty much weak and dieing.. with some burned out druggy trying to sell it to you..

best bet is to build your own low speed battery powered machine..

the electric i m bring it for potty runs and a few look arounds..

trikes are the big word for touring the arts and the city.. you can go slow, look around and visit with others with out leaving your seat..

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:22 am

A dead Gas Scooter, is the Best Scooter...... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Archantael

Post by Archantael » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:39 am

This should be my last year for bringing the gas scooter in it's stock form. I mainly use it for late night exploring way out past the temple, or to take pictures from along the trash fence but I think it could be used a lot more effectively as part of a larger project.

Anyway I pulled my Zappy out last night to charge the batteries but I'm worried they won't hold up long enough to be effective. If anyone has modified a Zappy with extra batteries and can recommend something I could build in a week I'd be keenly interested in it.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:22 am

Archantael wrote:This should be my last year for bringing the gas scooter in it's stock form. I mainly use it for late night exploring way out past the temple, or to take pictures from along the trash fence but I think it could be used a lot more effectively as part of a larger project.

Anyway I pulled my Zappy out last night to charge the batteries but I'm worried they won't hold up long enough to be effective. If anyone has modified a Zappy with extra batteries and can recommend something I could build in a week I'd be keenly interested in it.
\/
i could recomend: build a light angal iron frame from the front frame over the top of the battery case. with legs down to the plastic floor in the back.. wrap a battery pack in ground cloth and straps to hold.. use a double pull double throw switch.. interupt the wires where your now batteries come togeather into one/two wire to feed the controler.. there is a solor camp mentioned in the last JRS that wants to charge our electric rides.. god bless there green little hearts..

notonmysofa

Post by notonmysofa » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:07 pm

They suck.

JediDale
Burning Since: 2000

I AGREE WIH SENSEI TOTALLY!!

Post by JediDale » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:46 pm

Get the Go-Peds outta BRC!! I remember in 05 a chump without anylighting at night almost running into me and then saying "Watch where you're going dude!" I wish he would have come back, I would have taken an inapproprate action we both would have suffered for!! C'mon BMORG, get it back to bikes ans art cars ONLY!!

Genuinely,

JediDale
You don't have to..Believe Everything I Say...because your unconscious will hear this.
Your unconscious can Do anything It wishes..
But your conscious mind isn't going to do
anything of Importance for Now. And...My Voice Will Go With You...

Archantael

Re: I AGREE WIH SENSEI TOTALLY!!

Post by Archantael » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:09 pm

JediDale wrote:Get the Go-Peds outta BRC!! I remember in 05 a chump without anylighting at night almost running into me and then saying "Watch where you're going dude!" I wish he would have come back, I would have taken an inapproprate action we both would have suffered for!! C'mon BMORG, get it back to bikes ans art cars ONLY!!

Genuinely,

JediDale
Are you advocating vigilante justice against scooter riders?
Why does it have to be all about you and what you want?
Why do you advocate outright banning of things you don't like?
Why should your wants outweigh mine?
Have you considered taking a compromise view of the situation?

Genuinely.....annoyed.

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:52 pm

I wonder how segway walkers would fair on the playa. I've never been so I don't know if they have been there already. Once again they probably need a noisy generator to recharge them.

-PEZ
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come. -Joseph Campbell

PEZ

Post by PEZ » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:04 pm

Answered my own question there with a little search.
We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come. -Joseph Campbell

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:07 pm

I've seen a lot of the offroad ones out there.
Some very well decorated too.

Some people take enough batteries to last all week.
They will charge up on quiet generators too.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Return to “Stories”