Anyone else have their rv or tents broken into ??

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
dj_john69
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Anyone else have their rv or tents broken into ??

Post by dj_john69 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:41 am

On Friday night between midnight and 3am, my rv was entered and shit was stolen. I was camped off of 9 o'clock and Fetish area. My loses were around $2500 just out of my rv.

There was also others that got taken out of my camp including $300.00 cash out of a friends stuff. The asshole thieves actually went from rv to rv and tent to tent in our camp. We did have a couple of people asleep when the bastards tried entering into their sleeping areas but ran after they woke up.

I did hear that about 10 other camps got shit stolen that same night. Just curious to hear about others that had to deal with the bullshit that my campmates and myself had to deal with.

Oh, for those of you that think that we should or could have prevented this from happening...save it, i dont want to hear it from you. This year was my 10th year on the Playa and i've never ever had shit stolen before.

Shit never happened like this in 1996...my 1st year. What a sad day when fuckers are paying to enter the festival just to steal from others. =(

~John

p.s. No, i didn't fill out a police report after we realized what happened. There was no point in wasting time doing that since the odds are against us in finding the thieves.

WebGraphics

Post by WebGraphics » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:49 am

Other than a few bikes that were stolen from people camped next to me, no I didn't experience anything like that. One thing I had going for me was my complete disaster of a tent. I can just imagine a theif unzipping my tent flap only to see that apparently someone got there first.

Sorry to hear about your loss man. BTW what did you have in your RV worth $2500. Just curious.
''The modern dictators are reviving a very ancient and encrusted way of life.''
[WHAT I THINK, Adlai Stevenson]

PrplT
Burning Since: 2000

Post by PrplT » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:51 am

Oh man, I am so sorry for your loss. Yours is the first I've heard of anything like it. May those responsible feel the intense guilt for the rest of their lives. (As should the stupid assholes who broke into my car at home in LA and stole the battery of all things.) I want to think we are all safe and secure from those kind of things at Burning Man, but..... :(

Wavemage
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Chillaxia

Post by Wavemage » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:37 pm

I didn't have anything stolen, and i did have a portable generator that was vulnerable on Friday night. I locked it in my truck on Saturday night though.

One friend of a friend of mine did get PUNCHED IN THE FACE when he moved someone's bicycle out of the way of my friend's art car. The bike owner was standing right there, turned around and saw this guy moving his bike and BAM punched him right away--no words, no nothing.

He did come back and apologize a few minutes later, but still....damnit man! Its Burnign Man, at least give someone the benefit of the doubt! Why the hair trigger?

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:55 pm

8:30 and Hysteria, Friday night I had someone check the door on my trailer about 4 am while I was inside and my generator was moved as I had it against the trailer tire as a windbreak, it was at the end of the triple cable type chains I had on it so I know for an absolute fact it was moved.

Let's just be thankful they didn't get the door open and leave it at that.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Petalford

Post by Petalford » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:09 pm

Thursday night, I was skipping home gleefully when I entered my tent to find to strange teenage boys. One was sitting on my cot and was going through my bags, the other standing in the corner... My response to them was "Who the fuck are you and what the fuck are you doing in my tent". The boy standing exited right away, the other one got up from my cot and walked out towards me and said that he was just trying to get out of the wind...ya, fucking right - well they split - I wish I could have done something to detain them, but I did not want to risk it, so I just let them go.

The only thing missing were my goodies - which I guess I didn't hide well enough - it could have been a lot worse - I did feel extremely violated, and I was quite paranoid trying - to sleep after that was practically impossible - Thank you to my possee who voulnteered to hunt the lil bastards down, but since it was dark and I did not get a good look at their faces, beating up random teenager, just didn't seem a good idea...but your hearts were in the right place :)

So, now I lock up my tent when Im out and when I sleep - and hope fucktards like that don't revert to using knives to slash tents open to get around the locks...

Even though this happened, the incredible people I met this year, far outweigh the negative...
Playa road......, Take Me Home...to the place I belong......., Black Rock City....., in the Desert......take me home...., Playa Road.......

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:52 am

Wednesday night someone woke me up standing near the tent calling out, "Nicole, Nicole ..." I answered "Wrong Camp" and they left. They were all the way inside our shade structure behind the art project, not the open street or even in between campsites in Hushville. Now I'm wondering if they were really looking for Nicole or if that was their M.O..

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:37 am

This year I'd started chaining things down. Your stories convinced me to do a lot more in the future. I sleep very hard behind some strong meds. The whole place could be carried leaving me sleeping in the open. I'll share on another thread about sucureing things.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:45 am

I thought this year, after a friend reminded us to secure our stuff on burn night, that I need to start bringing motion-activated lights (then I went around and reminded my neighbors to secure their stuff since some people forget about professional thieves on burn night). Simple solution to an old problem and not very expensive. I think another way to deter thieves is to have WELL-defined camp boundaries such that there is NO confusion about whether someone is where they shouldn't be.

mars

Post by mars » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:42 am

All stories about thievery really really really really really really SUCK! Makes me think I want to have at least one person stay in as a guard at camp each night and that really really really sucks. I know that on e-playa, a lot of the worst that happens is posted here and it's hard to have perspective on how wide-ranging a problem is or isn't. I also know that most people probably don't report to any authorities about thefts in their camps. But does anyone know where to find any stats on crime at BM?

Neon

Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

WebGraphics

Post by WebGraphics » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:35 pm

DallasPlaya wrote:...I think another way to deter thieves is to have WELL-defined camp boundaries such that there is NO confusion about whether someone is where they shouldn't be.
Where they shouldn't be? Many times I wandered through camps (a few times even stopping to talk to people). Is that wrong? For example on Friday night (I think) I saw a huge searchlight in the distance. Rather than go by street I cut through camps, stopping to talk to several groups that were partying at the time.
''The modern dictators are reviving a very ancient and encrusted way of life.''
[WHAT I THINK, Adlai Stevenson]

xodiamondxo

Crime stats / police:citizen ratio / my camp's experience

Post by xodiamondxo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:19 pm

But does anyone know where to find any stats on crime at BM?
I'm interested in hearing / researching accurate crime stats too, as well as the number of LEOs assigned to BRC. I want to know the ratio of police to citizens and see how it compares to other cities. My hunch is that BRC is over-policed considering the seemingly low number of violent crimes. It would be interesting to have the facts.

My camp had no suspicious activities (3:45 & Delirium). We weren't particularly security conscious and had times where everyone was gone. We never even put away our booze, and nothing ever went missing.

I am very sorry to hear of the thefts you had. Living in Oakland, I see how thieving and fear of it tears at the social fabric.

ubu

Post by ubu » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:51 pm

I do know that some people sneak into the burn, in vehicles. They wait for the perimeter patrol to go by and sneak right in. Perhaps your thieves were such.

I am very complacent about my things and we leave everything in the open, and we enjoy meeting the people who stumble into our camp occassionally.
Most of us have more than we need...so the thought of thievery is far from our concerns...but one never knows what might happen next.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:56 pm

I do know that some people sneak into the burn, in vehicles. They wait for the perimeter patrol to go by and sneak right in.
Interesting...so what is that fancy schmantzy radar unit out there for? (The same type was located at the corner of Absolute & Authority last year if I remember the location correctly, I forgot where it was this year, I think it was South of Center Camp). It's not exactly a weather radar unit....it's the same kind of unit I see on Missouri and Mississippi River towboats for painting the river channel and all obstructions on the scope...on the playa it should highlight anyone coming towards that fence like they were painted with dayglow orange paint.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

ubu

Post by ubu » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:15 pm

mere conjecture, I should say, based on unverifiable rumor, but I did hear of fools that successfully eluded the perimeter patrol.

radar is only effective if there are no other distractions on the screen and is useless in a dust storm. if the patrol posse was nearby and otherwise occupied a vehicle could make it in.

I know the Contessa left the perimeter on Monday night and ran into a mountain. I've seen the photos of that. (I just deleted more info, sorry.)

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:01 pm

For some strange reason I felt fine with leaving everything unlocked and out in the open until Thursday. I just had a feeling that the vibe had changed so I locked everything up.

Friday night some drunken fool crawled into a vacant RV and passed out. The fool then refused to leave when the owner came home. The fool eventually left without violence but wtf?

On burn night I decided to watch the burn from the roof of my RV where I had a great view of our side of the village. Luckily no strangers wandered through. A BLM or Sherriff vehicle stopped on the street directly in front of our bar and stayed during the burn. Perhaps keeping an eye out for us?

S3

Wavemage
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Chillaxia

Post by Wavemage » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:29 pm

Personally, I'd rather have shit stolen than have more cops and/or clearly defined borders. Freedom is more important than safety. I'll secure my shit as best as I can, and the rest is up to karma/chance.

THere's simply nothing worse than a bunch of cops roaming around...

d6

Post by d6 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:48 am

hey john -
we only had a bike stolen this year on saturday, but they picked out the $1K version, buried under the 5 other crappy bikes.
we were in camp when it was taken.
we've left someone in camp fri/sat since 2000 due to population=theft.
robots,projectors,computers,sound equipment no fun to replace.

i had my bag stolen @ pyramid when i was playing a show tara/I put-on
(i do actually play "real" sets sometimes), it was right next to the tables, and the police report i filled out was only to please the cellphone corporation refund requirements.
it took a few months to get the rest sorted out.

my anger was posted on the "who is stealing shit @ BM" thread.

d6,
robotronia
2:45/bi-polar
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:01 am

d6 wrote:hey john -
we only had a bike stolen this year on saturday, but they picked out the $1K version, buried under the 5 other crappy bikes.
we were in camp when it was taken.
we've left someone in camp fri/sat since 2000 due to population=theft.
robots,projectors,computers,sound equipment no fun to replace.

i had my bag stolen @ pyramid when i was playing a show tara/I put-on
(i do actually play "real" sets sometimes), it was right next to the tables, and the police report i filled out was only to please the cellphone corporation refund requirements.
it took a few months to get the rest sorted out.

my anger was posted on the "who is stealing shit @ BM" thread.

d6,
robotronia
2:45/bi-polar

~
Hits the pocket to have that stuff taken. I have one of those good bikes. If I take it to the store I take it in with me. Some stores grip others agreewith me.
We all have to get into the mod of."If you can't afford to lose it , Don't bring it. That will be a lose to BM in general. Alot of good things will have to stay home.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

impax

Post by impax » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:54 am

I had someone break into my tent and leave behind a cigarette pack full to the brim of DANK ASS WEED!

I, of course, promptly turned it over to the authorities.

jbelson

Post by jbelson » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:12 am

I am curious as to how the camps were laid out that got stuff taken. I know that when people are camping on the outer streets, their stuff pretty much opens right onto the street, so it makes for an easier acces to their stuff. I know thats how I was camped when I went solo. This year we blocked most of our camp off from the open street, mostly for wind protection. But I do feel that it made it harder for potential theives (didn't look as accesable).
I know the best prevention is to not make your stuff look easy to take. Most theives will just move to an easier target (except for the bike one from earlier).
But it would be a good statistic to see which camps that got stuff taken were in a more open lay-out as opposed to a village layout where things are pushed back from passers by.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:38 am

In 2004 someone left a hair clip in my tent, much to the suspicion of my then girlfriend. (thanks to whoever did that by the way, only cost me about 12 hours of explaining and reassuring).

I've never had anything stolen at Burning Man (well, not entirely true, the ex wife stole my bullhorn in 2001 but I found her with it yelling at people on the Esplanade).

This year I lost a $500 digital camera, no information on the camera what so ever (a rookie mistake that I won't make again). By some miracle of luck an honest burner not only found it, but checked on here, read my post and returned it to me, declining the reward I offered.

The advice of locking your valuables is a good one. This was my first year Rangering and I noticed that Rangers always lock their bikes, hmmm... what do they know? A lot apparently.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:51 am

d6 wrote: we only had a bike stolen this year on saturday, but they picked out the $1K version, buried under the 5 other crappy bikes.
Didn't you know that the DPW spends eleven months out of the year bulldozing the playa FLAT, so that you won't NEED to bring a thousand-dollar bike?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:38 pm

jbelson wrote:I am curious as to how the camps were laid out that got stuff taken.
The only time we had anything stolen was when of our virgin burners left his cell phone on the bar of the root beer saloon charging it up for the trip home as we all went out to the burn. He had both the phone and charger stolen although nothing else, including stuff worth MORE MONEY, was taken.

Of course, in Gerlach he called the phone company and insurance, had to deal with a rude receptionist at the sheriff's department ("Oh...this is related to Burning Man, isn't it?"), had his phone replaced with the same number within three days, and recognizes that it was bad idea to leave it there.

The only people who came through our camp uninvited were college-age hippie-wannabe types who walked right through our shit, looked around and then badmouthed our generator as they left.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:48 pm

On Tuesday night, I was asleep in my tent (I'm a relatively light sleepter) when I was awakened by the sound of my cooler lid opening. My empty cooler was outside leaning against my tent along with my bike. I heard the lid close, and then I heard my bike being wheeled away. I yelled "Hey!" and then jumped up and out of my tent. A young guy was starting to make off with my bike, but I asked what he was doing. He said, "uh, is this your bike?" I said, "Yes, and this is our camp so leave now." He gave me my bike and I watched him walk out of our camp. I think he was pretty wasted. My very large cousin was just across the way from me, and I was ready to yell for him if the guy didn't leave. The next morning, my cousin said he heard the exchange, and was ready to come to my aid if needed, but that it was so cold that he didn't want to get up unless I needed his help. At least I wasn't completely alone. This was the only incident in our camp, and the first ever in my 8 years.
Proprietor and Mixologist for The Liver's End

whorebait

Post by whorebait » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:22 am

i am so sorry to read this and sorrier still for your violation.
fucking dickweeds, asswipes, kharma bitches...
there, that said, it was pointed out to me several years ago that vulnerability is consistent there are nights where the uninformed might strive to take advantage and those nights are the night of the burn and the night of the temple burn...and while i dont want to point any fingers, as the week progresses there are quite a number of locals that, with their free tickets, wander in and are not necessarily into the vibe...i am just sayin'...
but listen, final word? fuck them lets have our party anyway, accept that the challenge here is to follow your instinct as it relates to survivability... fuck them.

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Would be interesting to put black paint on a bike seat some night, or hook a 12-volt battery up in the basket with leads on the handgrips. Or, modify a bike such that the wheels seize up or fall off after X amount of rotations.

Make it unmistakeable so somebody doesn't legitimately confuse it with their own, call it the "Boobie Bike" and leave it out at night to see what asshole takes it.

Probably not legal.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Legal schmegal. A little generator operated by pedal cranks..It's an art project. Everybody knew about it. The person who sat on it and tried to take the bike should have known. You told everyone for three blocks...

"I've been working on a really cool s/m bike. As you pedal, voltage to the crotch increases. It's quite titillating."

If you build that bike properly, I bet you don't find that thing more than thirty feet from your camp and I bet you don't find the thief too far from that bike.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

ZaphodBurner

Post by ZaphodBurner » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:06 am

Fat SAM wrote: "I've been working on a really cool s/m bike. As you pedal, voltage to the crotch increases. It's quite titillating."

If you build that bike properly, I bet you don't find that thing more than thirty feet from your camp and I bet you don't find the thief too far from that bike.
LOL! The problem would be the people lining up to ride it. A camp near us shocked people in the ass with a cattleprod. Invariably they lept into the air and hopped around making faces and howling about how bad it sucked...

One girl in our camp had it done to her four times.

-c

mars

Post by mars » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:42 pm

I love the Booby Bike idea!

How about putting a sign up at the entrance, and include a note in the various handouts at the gate, that says there are numerous Booby Bikes on the playa and in specific camp sites, so be sure not to mistake anyone else's for yer own.

Neon
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Return to “Stories”