Send healing thoughts to our fallen friend...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
blikum

Send healing thoughts to our fallen friend...

Post by blikum » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:56 am

On Sunday night after the Temple burned, one of our friends and campmates suffered a massive heart attack in his sleep and was evacuated via LifeFlight to Reno. Alexis is a strong, fit 27-year old guy who was totally sober at the time. The doctors are still unsure what caused it, but at this point the most important thing is to help him fight his way back to the vibrant guy he was out on the playa just a week ago. I visited him in the hospital yesterday, and while he is still only partially responsive I saw signs that he was fighting like crazy to get his life back.

Alexis is Canadian, and a well respected broadcaster on the CBC. His family and his girlfriend are at his side, creating a powerful circle of love at all times. Back in Vancouver, his friends and fans are rallying to support him, and have organized a fundraiser event to help him and his family.

I am asking anyone out there to help this guy heal. Every day at 3pm PST people from all over are taking a few moments to stop what they are doing and send positive thoughts his way. If you are so inclined, please join us in this massive meditation and prayer for Alexis.

A website has been created to track his progress and share his story:
http://alexismazurinat.zoomshare.com/

You can see more support for him here:
http://cbcunplugged.blogware.com/blog/A ... rinUpdates

Thanks for your time, and for your love.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:14 pm

I think I know the guy who applied the paddles. (AED, that is.) I don't want to repeat a bunch of ESD rumor, but it seemed like a freaky year for medical. Best of luck to Alexis. Maybe there are locals who can visit--hospitals are so drear.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

blikum

Post by blikum » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:38 pm

Alexis was lucky in one respect—some of our other campmates are Vancouver firefighters and he receieved CPR immediately.

His girlfriend gave kudos to the Rangers, REMSA and EMTs who handled the situation. When she could not ride in the helicopter evac, the Rangers had her immediately in a car to Reno, and then volunteered to stay on to help her campmates pack up and exodus quickly.

Thank your friend with the paddles, and of course pass along Alexis' progress.

Regarding local visitors to the ICU in Reno, I believe the family is requesting no visitors since the ward has limited visitation. However, if any Reno burners want to drop by a picture, note, or message to Alexis Mazurin at Washoe Medical Center ICU, the hospital would faciltate gladly. His family is in a strange town going through this, and I'm positive the warmth and love from BRC will be immensely appreciated.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:53 pm

My (now) husband was evacuated off-playa post event 2002. He ended up at Washoe Med too and was really impressed with the care.

I may not see the medic in question until the event next year, but I"m sure that any comments sent to 911@burningman.com would be forwarded to the appropriate party.

I'm glad we did right by the girlfriend.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Driveway

Post by Driveway » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:02 am

A CBC broadcaster? Does the union know about his condition? How is the strike affecting him financially? We've got a Victoria decompression event coming up soon. I'll pass the word 'bout our fallen commerade, many of the Victoria burners are nurses and may know people in Van.

We'll see what we can do.
What is Driveway's Game?

KnowMatterWhat

Post by KnowMatterWhat » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:37 am

Yikes, I don't know Alexis; but after following the links and looking at some of the photos of him at BM 05 I'm reminded how delicate life can be ... One day he's strong, active and seemingly without a worry in the World; the next day he is down and unable to get up on his own.

I send out my sincerest hopes and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery. I send my wishes to his friends and family for the strength, wisdom and vision to get them through this difficult time and the reassurance that everything is going to be all right ... in spite of the outcome.

Finally, I implore everyone to appreciate the blessings we have in this life and to use our gifts to make a positive difference everywhere; we all have gifts, find a way to use them and give them freely. Enjoy the moments, for they are fleeting; our life on Earth is temporary. Shower the people we love with love, show and tell them the way we feel and smile at strangers, it won't hurt a bit.

Get Well Soon Alexis ~ Know Matter What
... and in the end, the love you make is equal to the love you take ~

Return to “Stories”