Memorable One-Time-Only Sighting?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Hedy

Memorable One-Time-Only Sighting?

Post by Hedy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:38 pm

There were so many things I enjoyed seeing repeatedly during the week... the cupcake cars, Miracle Grow, the stiltwalkers & fire performers to name a few.

But...

Was there something you saw or experienced only once... a playa-dipidous moment, if you will.... because you were at the right place at the right time?

Mine were the ball-pit suit guy, the nekkid blue guys dancing at the BR Roller Disco, a guy playing a flaming tuba and when the life-sized Mousetrap worked 100% all the way through without the "helping hand."

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:50 pm

Here is one of my favorite stories from this year:

I was walking towards a row of porta potties and noticed a cute girl walking away from them. She suddenly stopped mid stride, turned around and walked back to one of the johns. She opened the door started talking with some guy that was inside. She said, "I'm going to go back to camp, what are you gonna do?" His reply, "I'm gonna stay here for a while and see what happens." "OK", she says, closes the door and heads back towards her camp. Thinking that was a little odd I went on about my business. I was a few doors down from where the exchange had happen. While I was standing there, a hear a door open nearby, and someone yells "BOOOO!".. Then a door slams... Once outside I stood around to watch for a bit. The guy was leaving his door unlocked, and when some unsuspecting person would open it, he would jump out and yell "BOO!". The people who had walked up would normally look really confused, then shut the door, and start checking the other johns. It was hilarious. Personally though, there is no way that I would hang out in one of those unless I needed to be in there...

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:32 am

The clocktower burn was a great experience for me, even though it was sparsely populated (but I think that was the idea around a midnight burn). The winds were fairly high, and the material it was made from created a lot of embers. Big ones. Some crazy bastard in a lot of synthetic fabrics started riding his bike through the resulting river of rolling and falling fire, then someone else laid down in them. Then a call came over the radio that there was a car parked in the downwind ember drift. We turned and looked, and there was Jinx's truck. He thought 400 feet away was far enough. He just got that "aw shit" look on his face and walked out to move it.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:17 am

I ran around too much on Friday and zonked out shortly after dusk....When I woke up it was about 3AM, and I couldn't find anyone from Hushville so I walked out to the Man and helped the DPW crew knock down the funhouse. Got to bust shit up, and even left with a souvenier scrap of green shadecloth from the circus tent that'll get grafted into my shelter next year!
That, and tearing around with the MiniMan Support Crew on Jafe's Tongue MUV (mutant vehicle) during the Temple Burn.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

jadewombat
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Memorable One-Time-Only Sighting?

Post by jadewombat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:18 pm

Saw a guy do a side-flip(like a back-flip, but well...) on some spring stilts. That was really cool.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:12 pm

It was amazing and awesome when Harlan and crew rolled his Diamond Portal, wood wheels and all, into the remains of the Temple burn Sunday night to blaze brightly away. They done good!
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:42 am

Tiahaar wrote:It was amazing and awesome when Harlan and crew rolled his Diamond Portal, wood wheels and all, into the remains of the Temple burn Sunday night to blaze brightly away. They done good!
That kind of pushed my wife over the edge. We had a great, very profound first-burn moment out there last year that literally changed the course of our life.

After the temple had fallen and we had done our rememberance thing, we were waiting for our camp to gather at the bikes. I dont' even know when/how/where the Portal came from. We just turned to look and, holy shit, it was going into the fire!

Watching the fire and smoke sucked through the hole amazed us, but watching the structure itself burn right after the temple was nearly overwhelming. That was also our first Temple burn, and before BM our secret other "home" was New Orleans so I rode away feeling like I'd just gotten my ass kicked.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Nightterror

Post by Nightterror » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:35 am

regionalchaos wrote:Here is one of my favorite stories from this year:

I was walking towards a row of porta potties and noticed a cute girl walking away from them. She suddenly stopped mid stride, turned around and walked back to one of the johns. She opened the door started talking with some guy that was inside. She said, "I'm going to go back to camp, what are you gonna do?" His reply, "I'm gonna stay here for a while and see what happens." "OK", she says, closes the door and heads back towards her camp. Thinking that was a little odd I went on about my business. I was a few doors down from where the exchange had happen. While I was standing there, a hear a door open nearby, and someone yells "BOOOO!".. Then a door slams... Once outside I stood around to watch for a bit. The guy was leaving his door unlocked, and when some unsuspecting person would open it, he would jump out and yell "BOO!". The people who had walked up would normally look really confused, then shut the door, and start checking the other johns. It was hilarious. Personally though, there is no way that I would hang out in one of those unless I needed to be in there...
I witnessed this in 2003. Scared the life out of a young girl so I ran back to my camp and got a zip tie to lock him in. He was gone by the time I got back. Now that would have been funny.
I express my excitement by brutally interrogating whomever is nearby

gyre

Street Bacon

Post by gyre » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:13 am

There were so many remarkable meetings, but on Monday after the burn I was walking down the street and someone came out of nowhere and offered me bacon off a plate and then went on into another camp. The best bacon is definitely street bacon.

Just for fun, try to explain street bacon to a mundane. Just try.

A nice moment.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Blue Jester

Post by Blue Jester » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:13 pm

I had a rather almost depressing if it was not so damned funny experience on burn night and it goes a little something like this......

After the man fell a was with a docter freind of mine (that I had met prior in the week) and he really wanted to try acid so I gave him some and decided to do it myself, anyway we biked all over town drank a bunch of wine and chocolate then headed back for camp for more water. When we replenished our water supply my freind decides he is going to lay down so I bike off solo. I went and checked out the trash fence and on my way back to the esplanade I come accross this guy sitting on a park bench way out in the deep playa so naturally I offer him some wiskey which he gladly accepted ( it being VERY cold at the time) any way we get to talking and he seems to be at the same place I am in regards to the chemicals we had injested. We are out there for a good 1/2 our getting smashed and the conversation some how got on to the topic of playa love, actually more like lost playa love. So there we are sitting on a cold lone park bench in the middle of the fucking desert drinking wiskey and remenising about failed love. Funiest depressing moment of my entire life.
Rob the bank, give the money to the poor, then steal from the poor and shoot the money.......or something like that.

run_w_xcors

Post by run_w_xcors » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:37 pm

Saturday morning a friend and I rode to the edge of the playa. You know, that one edge! OK, basically straight out 12 O'Clock with a slight skew towards morning. We were hunting for some mythical sunrise bar supposedly out there on the edge. I'm not sure we ever found it, but we did find any number of wonderful people along the way.

We stopped on the way back and danced on the edge of the city and then started the trek across the playa back to our camp and stumbled across a morning house party. Mind you my mind was slightly bubbled with the remnants of a fungal enlightenment but I saw the only thing at BM that made me feel uncomfortable.

There in the middle of the playa was what I thought was the antithesis if Burning Man. Lots of beautiful people decked out to the nines (and tens even) in what appeared to be off-the-shelf wonderwear, doing their best to look really good while dancing their asses off. Lots of blatant glances fired around the crowd as onlookers and dancers alike tried to sum up the rest of their morning. While seemingly sexy in nature, the looks were of mere hunger, not of satiated curiosities. I thought I'd been transported to Ibiza.

This was almost the most negative experience I had until I realized what I'd just seen. First, I was coming off from mushrooms in the morning after a long party (something I'd admittedly never done, let alone on the Playa) and second I was seeing other people party the way they wanted to at Burning Man and I didn't necessarily want to participate.

And even though it wasn't the whackiest thing I saw, or the coolest, it was the most memorable because it was at that point I realized what Burning Man was.

It's wonderful, but it's not easy, and it's not mine. While my idea of Burning Man fits my mold, it doesn't necessarily fit others and the best thing is that that's OK.

Unless you're wearing a bunny outfit, that's just straight wrong! (Kidding of course).

</VIRGIN>
Jake Lundberg
run (dot) w (dot) xcors (AT) gmail (dot) com
"Roads, where we're going, we won't need roads"

spaceboy

Here's my merorable moment

Post by spaceboy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:10 pm

The art was the most memorabl;e part of the playa this year. Last few years it has been the spectacle of it all, and the people that make the spectacle. But the art this year seemed to be a step above & beyond the last few events. Bigger, more intelligent & interactive, more fun. The oft-mentioned giant flower (Miracle Grow?) was beautiful! How 'bout this for the annuls of "something that could only happen at Burning Man":

Sunrise Friday morning ReeRee and I are warming ourselves, along with 100 of our fellow chilled burners, in the large grouping of 15-ft steel fire spires called Fallen Phoenix. Up drives the massive flower mobile, and it begins to lower its flower towards the crowd. Very trippy, oohs and ahhs fill the air. All of a sudden <rriiiiippp> the cloth of one of the petals on the flower gets caught in the top of one of the steel spires. Completely out of reach, the drivers of the flower crane get out and stare at the pierced petal, dejected and wonder just how they will untangle. Well, being the resourceful people burners are, another 2-story art car is flagged down, drives up and somehow they just happen to have a ladder on the top. Some interepid soul in a 10-gallon hat and bright yellow fur climbs to the top of the ladder, the art car pulls slowly up to the spire, and the precariously perched psychedelic cowboy reaches out and frees the mammoth flower. Huh, I said to ReeRee, now there's something you just don't see anywhere else...
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!

jaynomad

Pissed Myself

Post by jaynomad » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:26 pm

Such amazing stories. Great reading on a winter night.

Here's a quick snippet of overheard conversation I heard on the Playa, one guy lamenting to his friend:

"Man, I was doing pretty good, too -- hadn't pissed myself for a month."

CagedKitty

Post by CagedKitty » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:39 am

I kept seeing that giant flower from far away and every time I got close up it was turned off so I don't know if it ever really existed or if I imagined it. I'm glad you guys are confirming it for me.

One night I saw stilt walkers swinging a string of flashing lights in each hand. They made big circles of geometric designs as they spun around. I don't think I was even high, but I thought if that little string can make those fantastic designs there must be underlying structure and meaning to everything.
Where have I been all my life?

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:53 am

I loved The Flower but I'm still trying to figure out what in the world it was watching one night. I was over by the Angels of the Apocalypse and there was this....thing. It looked like 4 small rocket pods hanging from a string and when the rockets fired it spun the whole pod structure back and forth...between the noise and flames from it, the Angels of the Apocalpyse beside me and The Flower overlooking the whole scene it was one of those only in BRC experiences you never forget.

So if anyone knows the name of that rocket pack thingee...Lenny Jones had it on one of his video clips....I'd really like to know more about it.

And I seriously hope that The Flower makes a return appearance in 2006.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Peacekeeper

Post by Peacekeeper » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:11 am

The wierdest dichotomy happened this year.

I was relaxing in the inflatable bubble out near 2.30 late one night with a load of people, regaling each other with tales, it was warm, and there was much rejoicing.

I stepped outside to service my cigarette habits, and as i looked up from trying to light the nasty little fucker, i spotted for the first time, Miracle Gro, slowly approaching me from the distance, and emitting stately music that utterly matched its langourous motion. It was the least important cigarette of my life, i was transfixed by the flower, almost in tears. It slowly passed on its lazy way out into the deep playa.

As i bid it an appreciative farewell, i was suddenly approached by a most aggressive character, who, upon spotting my attentive eyes upon him, diverted his greedy attention from the bikes parked outside the bubble, took pause, then asked me "Are any of these bikes yours?"

My experience of the flower was immediately forgotten for a moment as i made clear that, no these bikes weren't mine, but nor was he going to steal one on my watch. I bristled, made myself tall, and watched him depart.

A truly interesting 10 minute window into burningman. And it did in no way
lessen my memory of the flower, which i will carry with me for many years to come.

Savior69

SparklemuffinFur

Post by Savior69 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:37 pm

Not "one-Time-Only" for some, but for my wife Lacey and I it was pure a Burning Man experience. After a classic friday night of beautiful insanity, sunrise greeted us to the familier post euphoric tweakings we all know too well: too many things still vibrating to sleep, but too spent to continue dancing. It was cold so we decided to walk to center camp and along the way we we hear this awsome sounding dancehall with funny voices at Diva Boot Camp. There we were treated to this puppet performance with an Monkey, a Wizard, a Seal, and a craziest looking mystery creaturethat we think was named "SparkleMuffinFur" . They were singing the funniest lyrics to the dopest dancehally grooves against a bright cartoony backdrop. We laughed so hard we were crying, it was beautiful, funny, full of love and perfect for us right at that moment.
Searching later on we found out that that group was called "The Fungineers" and were also performing at El Circo after the burn night Sun morning so I'm sure many of you know the performance that i speak of. Priceless for us at the time, and made the rest of our burn great!
BM Pictures: www.pbase.com/1969

stickysunset

Post by stickysunset » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:04 pm

i don't know which night it was....but i do remember it was night... hee hee...anyhoo...some guy did a great show on tongue yoga at michael matteo's HEADSPACE. it was funny because, not only was it entertaining (he spoke in an authoritative arnold -like voice) but we were actually doing the exercises w/ our tongues!

also....i ran across cirque de flambe's show one night! hey hey....i now know they're a big group (i'd never heard of them then and thought it was a one-time-only) and i can't wait to see them again.

izzit august yet?

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:21 am

Late in the 2005 BM event (Sun Pm or Mon Am)I passed the BRC Roller Disco as I had many times without stopping. A large circle of plastic sheets on the Playa with free rollerblades and skates one could don and skate.

This time was different. They were playing really great disco music and
then noticed lots of people women,kids,and men were having fun going
around and each and everyone was totally nude. Wow not a stitch on.

I stopped, found Rollerblades in my hard to fit size-12 Wide- and put
them on. Do I participate? Having no problem with naked beaches
or hot springs, the clothes came off and I went ahead.

Falling could lead to hard to explain injuries but I didn't fall once even
though I haven't rollerbladed in over a year!!

Burning Man is a participatory event.
crash & burn ski lessons given

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:36 am

My wife and I got married in a simple heartfelt ceremony surrounded by wonderful loving people. I am still in awe.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by capjbadger » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:36 pm

Late one night, heading back to camp from Center Cafe, I stopped for a quick warm up by one of the burn barrels. Out of nowhere come a lady with a tray full of hot grilled cheese sandwiches and offered me one.

Random acts... just made my night. Went to bed with a huge smile on my face.

Whoever she was, thank you! Out of everything that happened my first year, I think that simple act will be the thing that sticks with me the most. *hugs*

Badger

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:45 pm

I presided over blyslv and elielieli's wedding. I have a confession to make: I'm not actually a rabbi, just some Jewish kid from the suburbs. So, does that mean they are living in sin?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:21 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I presided over blyslv and elielieli's wedding. I have a confession to make: I'm not actually a rabbi, just some Jewish kid from the suburbs. So, does that mean they are living in sin?
I think they're apostate anyway, so of course they are...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Brandy

Post by Brandy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:43 pm

When people ask me about Burning Man, this is one story I tell them....

It was my first Burn back in 2002. I was decked out in my suede chaps, cowboy hat and cowboy boots riding my 'horse' out deep on the playa. I had been dancing all morning in the most uncomfortable boots on the planet and my heels were starting to bleed. I remember thinking "what I would give for some bandaids right now." Right as I am thinking this, I see something all alone in the distance. It was a bar stool. It was a bar stool with an open briefcase on top of it. I got off my 'horse' and went to check it out. I couldn't believe what I saw! There in this briefcase were bandaids, alcohol clensing wipes, airplane bottles of vodka, liquid bubbles and many other things someone wandering out there could have needed at that time. I couldn't believe it! I smiled thinking this was some funny joke, but how?
I clensed my wounds, left some sage to burn and rode off shaking my head in amazement.
It was one of many surreal experiences that has kept me coming back year after year.
Thank you briefcase on the barstool.........

theCryptofishist

bitch, whine, moan, complain

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:06 pm

My playa wedding was not a disaster, but it wasn't as good as eli's and blyslv's.

Almost no one came--partly because there was a dust storm on the other side of the playa and maybe because Scott had been evacuated off hte playa by helicopter earlier that week and wasn't allowed to work that year and so that caused tension between and other esd members. We were going to have a reception off-playa but money and his bi-polar disease got in the way. I had a crappy wedding and never got a shower and I know that those are not big things and I'm so glad I got those 15 months, but sometimes I feel a little peeved and resentful. You can ignore this--I just wanted tosent it into the ether.

Yes, blyslv, I am jelous.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Re: bitch, whine, moan, complain

Post by PurpleKoosh » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:My playa wedding was not a disaster, but it wasn't as good as eli's and blyslv's.
Sweetie, I saw the picture of the two of you from that day. I'm still sorry I missed it (like so many other things I missed that year), but the important people were there - you and Scott, and your officiant. That's all that should matter.

*kooshhugs*
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:03 pm

Koosh you ar eabsolutely right and for all the time between the wedding and the death it was a minor grevience that only surfaced when I heard of hte weddings of others. Right now it is a sore because I feel so cheated out of so much of my life with him. Maybe fussing about the wedding is easeier than fussing about the fact that we won't have a 2nd anniversary or that we missed christmas or that when I finally buy my kiln I won't be able to show him my art. And I'm sorry for the thread drift here, everyone, I'm just leaking all over.
The Lady with a Lamprey

CLARKcon
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Post by CLARKcon » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:29 am

My first burn in 2002: It was like Thursday and I was having a blast. I got someways out into the unknown/open player and say something on the ground. It was a small flower with three petals on it growing out of the cracked alkali. I couldn't believe it! Of all the crazy stuff going on, the visual and audio desensitization, all the emotional waves - as corny as it sounds - was one of the most inspirational things to see. :cry:
☕ COFFEE CAMP X:
"The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"

.: 🔥)'(🔥 2019 // 8 & B :.

Kite Girl

Post by Kite Girl » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:15 pm

It's wonderful, but it's not easy, and it's not mine. While my idea of Burning Man fits my mold, it doesn't necessarily fit others and the best thing is that that's OK.

And the beauty of it all is that you can be who you want to be, however you want to be, in whatever damn way, and it will all be ok. :)
Peace and Love to All

PrincessCharming

Post by PrincessCharming » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:27 am

A disturbing moment: my lady and I are riding around near centre camp on one of the middle streets, the sun was baking down and across the way I saw a naked, dusty woman lying face down, eyes closed, mouth open and tied spread-eagle to some metal frame thing. Did anyone else see this?? I wanted to go and see if she was alright, but everybody was just walking or riding on by her as she was baking there in the harsh sun and dust. So I thought to myself, chances are, she's chosen to be there and I shouldn't get involved. There's tons of S/M happening at BM, I know. But it was pretty fucked up. Now that I think about it, I wish I would have said or done something. Because even if she had consented, the rest of us hadn't, and as she was visible to everyone around, including any kids that would've been in the area, we were all witness to the S/M "play", and therefore part of it. She'd been tied there for everybody to see, clearly.

Another not so great experience: the guy that made that giant head out on the playa was a total asshole. We went by there at night, and I laughed my ass off at this girl's projected face.. she was singing this song she knew from elementary school or something. There was another guy going "Arrghhh".. and making pirate faces. It was too funny on this big gigantic head. So I lined up for the camera he had in the projection booth to ham it up, make faces, and say stupid shit to make my friends laugh. When I was done, this asshole said "What, that's all you got? Come on baby, we need a show here. You're a hot girl. Give us some head." He meant I should pretend to actually give head to the microphone. I told him no thanks, and he continued to complain and cajole aggressively, like he's my pimp or something, and I'm just some ho. I told him he was an asshole and he could fuck himself. He called me a fucking bitch, and that was that. Nice guy.

On a lighter note, heehee- my girl, her Mom and I are out on the Esplanade at night and pass the aggro Thunderdome, and it was full of all this aggressive posturing and whatnot, pretty much a turnoff for us. So we carry on up the esplanade and soon we come upon "Thumperdome", which is a miniature of the Thunderdome, with stuffed bunnies and teddies on bungee cords. There was young guy and a girl having a very intense mock battle in there. We had a good snicker.. felt better about Thunderdome..

We also were riding around in the day one time and saw this girl, straight out of a Tim Burton cartoon, dressed all in black, wearing a lace shroud, walking very erectly, well gliding, very slowly along the esplanade and towing a wagon with a little art installation of a naked baby watering this tiny forest with a watering can. She had a sign that read "CONSUME, THEN DISCARD.. THAT'S AMERICA. IS BURNING MAN JUST ANOTHER CAPITALIST HOLIDAY?" Two seconds later we passed this topless chick in a pink wig, pink fun fur bikini and glitter, riding a pink bicycle, collecting smiles and tossing them back as she rode along. Couldn't have been more of a contrast.

We had tons of other thought-provoking, beautiful and wonderful moments too.. including meeting a very lovely woman from London in a top hat at the Petting Zoo, who said she almost hadn't come because of her damn shyness, and she felt so glad to have found "a home" and to be meeting people and feeling such a sense of freedom.

Return to “Stories”