Why I Probably Won't Go Again

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:20 pm

*frustrated yarrrgggghhh*
People can have mixed reactions to things. Seems to me the guy is ready on one level to leave bm, but is having trouble saying good-bye. Perfectly human. I'm confused as to why he's getting so muck flack. Oh well...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ThePikey

Post by ThePikey » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:29 pm

He's getting flack because a) he's in *some* sense dissing the event that people here hold near and dear, even if not intentionally, and b) because he seems to be sending out mixed messages, which tends to confuse people and piss them off.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:31 pm

(and I can't finish reading his posts, so I end up thinking he's tedious not annoying. Too much effort to give flack for that...)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:*frustrated yarrrgggghhh*
People can have mixed reactions to things. Seems to me the guy is ready on one level to leave bm, but is having trouble saying good-bye. Perfectly human. I'm confused as to why he's getting so muck flack. Oh well...
Because I detect intellectual dishonesty, manipulation and cynicism.

In his thread "Facist Burner Demagauge Camp" he writes:
RagnaRoss wrote:I'm so sick of hearing everyone moan about the fabled "evil fat frat boys" and the "selling out of burning man"
Meanwhile, in this thread, he wrote to me:
RagnaRoss wrote:You certainly seem to feel touchy about someone questioning the sanctity of Burning Man. Hope you you're just as full of piss and vinegar in a few years when all the domes hire bouncers, regular limosines are allowed as art cars, the bars all start a cash-only policy and the entirity of black rock city is identical to the trendy nightclub scene to be found in Anycity, USA
One time I was in a wedding in which the groom's father showed up drunk, having just started a divorce, and cornered the wedding party to ramble at us--including his own son--about how love was a lie, marriage was a farce... until finally somebody said "Then what are you doing here? Did you want something from us or did you just pick right now to shit on everybody's day?"

This is the Burning Man forum, which means this is the Burning Man community. If Burning Man isn't your scene, fine. Move on, and good luck.
But to show up and start complaining about all the attention you didn't get or whatever, that's just passive-aggressive negativity. We either throw him/her a pity party, jump on his ticket price bandwagon and beg him to come back or we ignore him which is exactly what he seems to be accusing people of doing. In fact in the other thread he's actively soliciting unhappy memories for his "collage" project.

I guess that's the best why to articulate my beef.

-zb
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:*frustrated yarrrgggghhh*
Personally, I'm giving him flack because he came in saying he had a miserable time, but when people started giving suggestions on how he might get more out of it by being more involved in it, it read to me (and I believe others here) that he got all puffy that any he had to contribute at all- he should just get all the love of BRC by just existing.
Then he got petulant.

If he wants to leave- fine. Toodles.

If the ideas he was given to make his experience better were unworthy of him- fine. Again- toodles.

But if he wants to whine about the fact he's not being given the experience of his dreams on a silver platter- bite me.

oh- and toodles.

I must be wearing my snarky pants.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

mycillion

Re: yeah, well

Post by mycillion » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:16 pm

RagnaRoss wrote:while i know this makes me sound like a total bitch;

if i need to bring my own friends,have shit planned out, if i need to be able to tell people i have some kind of occupation, and be careful not to go in some places because when in doubt i'm not welcome... i can sure as fuck do all that shit without spending $500!
You're complaining about $500 compared to the experience..?
How in the heck did you only spend $500...?
Why are you complaining, people spend alot more to partake.
Alot more...

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:46 am

The pain will go away just as soon as it stops hurting.

HughMungus

Re: bite the curb

Post by HughMungus » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:14 pm

RagnaRoss wrote:Zaphod

You certainly seem to feel touchy about someone questioning the sanctity of Burning Man. Hope you you're just as full of piss and vinegar in a few years when all the domes hire bouncers, regular limosines are allowed as art cars, the bars all start a cash-only policy and the entirity of black rock city is identical to the trendy nightclub scene to be found in Anycity, USA. Be sure to tell the undercover cops that your event is sacred, pure and holy.
Sounds like you formed an opinion and just wanted to tell us what it is instead of posting an opinion and seeing if maybe your opinion was mis-formed for some reason.

Good luck finding whatever it is you're looking for.
It's what you make it.

Davoid

Re: bite the curb

Post by Davoid » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:02 am

RagnaRoss wrote:Zaphod

You certainly seem to feel touchy about someone questioning the sanctity of Burning Man. Hope you you're just as full of piss and vinegar in a few years when all the domes hire bouncers, regular limosines are allowed as art cars, the bars all start a cash-only policy and the entirity of black rock city is identical to the trendy nightclub scene to be found in Anycity, USA. Be sure to tell the undercover cops that your event is sacred, pure and holy.
Well, that's a sorry piece of conjecture, innit? Shit like that can only come from the mind of someone with a shit-TAY outlook. Get over it, get over yourself, get over whoever instilled that crap reflex, start enjoying life, repeat. 'Cause I'd bet that the attititude you've shown here isn't limited to BRC, but to anything that's ever disappointed you. Easier to push it away than to dig deeper and see what you find.

Now then, what's taking my limo so long? I've got attractions to see.

jc

Post by jc » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:17 pm

RagnaRoss you say some familiar thgings. I also feel unsure about being welcome at theme camps and in general. Then again I can feel that way in the "real world" also. I've been twice. I have to say that there are alot of similarities w/ the "real world". I'm wondering if it's me bringing those feelings w/ me? After all I'm told I'm responcible for my own feelings. I noticed earliy in the week, mon, tue, wed the atmosphere seemed different. More eazy going, friendly, not as much emphysis on PARTYING!!!. It felt good. If I'm able to go again I think I'll split my week up. Arrive on mon in the am. Leave thur am. Return sat pm. and leave again morn. Then again I live close by in Reno.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:38 pm

jc wrote:RagnaRoss you say some familiar thgings. I also feel unsure about being welcome at theme camps and in general. Then again I can feel that way in the "real world" also. I've been twice. I have to say that there are alot of similarities w/ the "real world". I'm wondering if it's me bringing those feelings w/ me? After all I'm told I'm responcible for my own feelings. I noticed earliy in the week, mon, tue, wed the atmosphere seemed different. More eazy going, friendly, not as much emphysis on PARTYING!!!. It felt good. If I'm able to go again I think I'll split my week up. Arrive on mon in the am. Leave thur am. Return sat pm. and leave again morn. Then again I live close by in Reno.
I think you can't get back into the event after Friday.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:21 am

jc wrote:RagnaRoss you say some familiar thgings. I also feel unsure about being welcome at theme camps and in general. Then again I can feel that way in the "real world" also. I've been twice. I have to say that there are alot of similarities w/ the "real world". I'm wondering if it's me bringing those feelings w/ me? After all I'm told I'm responcible for my own feelings. I noticed earliy in the week, mon, tue, wed the atmosphere seemed different. More eazy going, friendly, not as much emphysis on PARTYING!!!. It felt good. If I'm able to go again I think I'll split my week up. Arrive on mon in the am. Leave thur am. Return sat pm. and leave again morn. Then again I live close by in Reno.
If you get tired of the environment, go volunteer somewhere. This can range from doing greeter shifts to wandering around helping the later-arrivers setup their camps. You'll be so busy that you won't notice the things you don't like so much.
It's what you make it.

Otisserie

Not true

Post by Otisserie » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:08 pm

regionalchaos wrote:
I think you can't get back into the event after Friday.
Not true. You can't buy a ticket after Thursday night, but you can show up through Saturday afternoon if you already have a ticket. I do believe the gate is closed after 6pm on Saturday, however. The only thing RagnaRoss would have to do is pay $20 for a wristband to leave the event and return.
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

Return to “Stories”