Do it like they do on the 'Discovery Channel'...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:08 pm

I watched it several hours ago, and for what I missed, I TiVo'ed it to see again. But from my perspective, they mostly centered on the weirdos and malcontents, and that includes the narrator. Maybe I'm a big baby because they never came by Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro, and any of the other really cool smaller camps off of the Esplanade. Hell, I could have gotten all of this off of Current or any old KRON newsreel.

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:21 pm

Hey Doc!

The did do a quick pan of your sign and some barbies! (I yelled "Hi Doc" at the tv - Did you hear me?)

I agree with your opinion of the show. I didn't think it was possible to make Burning Man look boring! It seemed to me that most of filming was of Charlie. But it's his show, so he can do what he wants.

One thing I'd like to know is what DPW worker had to pick up his MOOP after the egg was smashed on his head?
Medicated and Motivated!

Bob A

Post by Bob A » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I watched it several hours ago, and for what I missed, I TiVo'ed it to see again. But from my perspective, they mostly centered on the weirdos and malcontents, and that includes the narrator. Maybe I'm a big baby because they never came by Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro, and any of the other really cool smaller camps off of the Esplanade. Hell, I could have gotten all of this off of Current or any old KRON newsreel.
They showed a picture of the Barbie death camp sign, for a second.

I didn't think it was bad, but I don't think the guy actually got it. He started to act a few times like he got it then just went back to its a big party. I thought he brought drugs up a few to many times, I for one was happy without them and knew many others who didn't get trashed.

He also made things up to make a cute story. When he went to throw eggs at the man and pretended the rangers wouldn't let him. It was easy to see it was Sat. and they were putting the fireworks into the man. No one was allowed near the man once the fire team started. But saying the rangers were meanies and that even here there are limits, fit better with his vision, what ever that was.

I couldn't really tell where he was coming from, he didn't bad mouth the event really, but wouldn't commit to it being much more than a big party either.

But still it was nice to see footage from a year I was there, and all and all no worse than other treatments I've seen.

Bob A

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:30 pm

I watched.

I have mixed reactions. I worry that this event, this event that I love will be overrun by yahoos and fratboys who won't care one damn bit about what it takes to bring something like this together. Will this video inspire some to make the trip to Black Rock City? I say yes. And that worries me.

But I also see hope. I also saw things in there that after 4 years of attending enlightened me. I saw the same fear I expressed above shown on screen by others. I disagree with the 10% creativity, 90% spectator comment because many of us in our own ways bring something special to this wonderful place...that is much more than some fucking camping trip.

Being critical, parts were staged, bravo to whomever it was that egged him back, yet bravo for the gold paint and the hair cut and discarding the trappings of Camp Reality. Bravo for recognizing the plight of New Orleans post Katrina.

In short, I wish there had been more art, more night shots, it offered a teaser of what is really out there. Will I show others or point them to this when they seek to understand my obsession? Absolutely.

In short, well done Charlie. But last and certainly not the least, the Kernul got the point across. And out of all the images I saw on screen between the Angels of the Apocalypse and his visage that's what stands out the most. Kernul, thank you for not shunning him and telling him how it is.

Kinetic

Bob A

Post by Bob A » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:33 pm

Das Bus wrote:Hey Doc!

One thing I'd like to know is what DPW worker had to pick up his MOOP after the egg was smashed on his head?
Nope the ranger reminded him to pick it up and they did show him bending over as they cut away.

They skipped the temple burn too. I guess he had to leave to make some deadline.

It was pretty cool that he breathed fire, I wouldn't do that!

Bob A

Bob A

Post by Bob A » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Kinetic IV wrote:I watched.

Bravo for recognizing the plight of New Orleans post Katrina.
Kinetic
I was actually a little surprised regarding that. He started to talk about Katrina so I figured he would mention the temple ceremony or all the collection and relief efforts people started to organize towards the end. Or mention in an add on that some people from burning man went down to help out New Orleans right from burning man. I'm mean he did add some foe from the savebrc.org site. That had to be filmed after the event.

Bob A

karine

Post by karine » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:16 am

Have you guys seen this show before? I've watched it more than any other show I've seen.. okay.. I've seen it like four times. Tops. I just don't watch a lot of TV... But I would lOVE his job. This guy has some fun and trying assignments. And he is under pressure to fit in everywhere... that's like his goal. It's interesting and kinda funny.

Well, I thought it was an excellent show of HIS trip - so more power to him. He does this stuff all the time. It wasn't about burning man, it was about THIS guy. And its HIS art. So that's the way he sees it.

Maybe your show of the burn would be better.. but then it would be your show- and with all that *default* how could it really be a good time? I'll leave it there.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:22 am

hate to say it, but Charlie boy hit on some really good points.

bitter pill to swallow.

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:21 am

spectabillis wrote:hate to say it, but Charlie boy hit on some really good points.

bitter pill to swallow.
Agreed.

Watchable. Even enjoyable at points, especially to be reminded of good times. Needed more art. I was relieved that they got their goggle-at-the-nudies segment pretty much over with quickly. Gotta hand it to The Hat- I wouldn't have worn LeDuff's pants. Perhaps a Trouser Drive is in order....

I smarted a little at the comment about bringing money for "Ice, coffee and drugs"....and his focus on the rangers as "cops" when there were so many bona fide LEOs there. And perhaps an explaination of WHY "his participation" was to egg the Man would have been enlightening.

Worst part of the experience was a 5-minute "Ab Lounger" commercial. Aiee!

Kudos to Killbuck for beeping LeDuff's nose while expounding on Burning Man philosophy. And nice to see MiniMan.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

lurker

Post by lurker » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:48 am

Yeah, that infomercial was annoying.

That brief pan of the Death Camp made me hope that they might've given it a bit of time...but no.

I was a bit perplexed at the repeated references to 'white', and 'blonde'

The 'faux' buddhist temple?

Meditating at the temple but they've never been to Asia? Is going to Asia a prerequisite for being a Buddhist? Or for meditating?

A lot of references to a type of rebellion that he seemed to see as juvenile

The notion that the whole thing means nothing(which seemed to put him into the category he created of people who want to be told what it is--a category he spoke about with no small didain)

It was a shame because at first, I thought he got it. I even expected him to. But it wasn't long before it became evident that he couldn't get it. He expected it to be something that it wasn't and thereby, in his disappointment, assigned to it a lesser place.

Sad to see someone walk in eager and walk out a yahoo.

Still it was nice to see the scenery.
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:12 am

I too had mixeed views on the whole program. As i watched I thought it wa great, but made the comment that it could be the worst peice in the world and I'd love it because of the images. the second time I watched I actually concentrated on charlie and his experiences.
I had a few problems with it. I thought he could have done more background. Were i to never have been I would think that the Temple was a Faux budist temple every year. I thought at the very least he could have gone into the theme and how the theme itself shapes in its own way our event each year. This piece also would have cemented in my mind all the "crap" that most believe to be true out on the playa; that drugs are what you do out there and everyone does them and act like a bunch of weirdo's. For selfish reasons I did not like the filming of the virgin bell ring, I did not know about it my first year and i have never told anyone about it that had not attended. For me the suprise of being welcomed home and alerting everyone on the playa that I arrived was...............magical and not something i would want any newcomer to have advance notice of but it a rather petty thing on my end.
I was suprised/proud of the host willingness to try to shed normal social contraints even if mostly he was tounge and cheek about it. The shaved head and fire breathing, the gold face and the eggs it was great. I thought he was a character but the entire time I had to wonder if it all was over his head and his "comedy" was more that of uncomfortablenes that true humor. I did not like the intro or outro specifically his postulation that it was all just a lame party but he is entitled to that opinion.
I was happy with it for the most part, but it did do one thing for me that i'm thankfull. For an hour last night I was right back on the playa with all my friends and all those whom i'd like to meet.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:41 am

lurker wrote:The 'faux' buddhist temple? Meditating at the temple but they've never been to Asia? Is going to Asia a prerequisite for being a Buddhist? Or for meditating?
Maybe he asked himself whether meditating was participatory?

Or how anyone could pretend to meditate at the acoustic center of a bleeding faux Buddhist rave with sunburnt sysops from Lompoc milling about drinking Watney's Red Barrel with all the dust and salt of northwestern Nevada swirling up into a nasty fog sandblasting off their facial creme as fat German businessmen swing like monkeys off the faux Buddhist lanterns overhead sing the falsetto prelude from Immigrant Song over and over and throw up over your Mojitos?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:17 am

I must have gotten up for a beer when they showed our camp. I'll watch it again tonight and see. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

Hi Lora!

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:46 am

Doc, I can't believe you missed that part. Your camp was definitely covered!

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:47 am

I finally got to see part of it this morning...

It reminded me like the book "the man burns tonight". Why, you ask? Because it was a good chronicle of ONE person's experience at ONE burn.

What wasn't put forth was that Charlie's experience was soley his own, that to everyone BRC is (and should be) a different experience.

Some of the stuff was definite frat-boy stuff - maybe that's what he expected out of BRC, so that was what he got. If so, cool. I sure hope that others saw it and got their own impression of it, rather than accept the one person's canned (and staged) view of what he experienced.

Do in that light, it was pretty good. I liked the scenery, and seeing the faces of people I knew... Amazing, that in a city of 35,000, you recognize faces... Voices... smiles... moustaches...

And, speaking of... Loved watching the Kernul out there. Just way TOO kewl. (This message brought to you by the Peoples Ministry of Toady Affairs. >giggles<)

Finally, it *was* Charlie that I met out there... and I really don't think he "got it" (at least like like most people I know out there do). Then again... maybe because of his job, je's too jaded. I can see that - that line of work does it to you... and in that vein, I feel kinda bad for him. Maybe if he went not as an assignment but a participant... he might walk away with a different perspective. Who knows...

bb

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:46 am

Keep 'em coming, love hearing what everyone else thinks.

Peacekeeper

Post by Peacekeeper » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:59 am

yo !!!

what i'd like to see is Charlie himself invited into this discussion, so we could maybe her his whole take on the experience and see how he would respond to all of our comments...

Maybe this is something the glorious actiongrl could arrange?

i certainly have no way of immediately reaching the guy....

however, i am extrmely enthused, after the past few months of worrying, that most of the commentary doesnt sem all that negative, and that he's getting the odd pat o the proverbial... whichever.... i'm stuck in new zeakand presently, so amnt blessed witht the program itself....

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:16 pm

Next week, Charlie goes to "The REAL 8 Mile". Yo. Word up. He'll learn how to Bust Rhymes While Keepin' It Real, Dawg. And probably how to lose his temper after being teased by a puppet on an award show. I'd rather think of Detroit as "the place where the guys who made those cool windmills are from". More Schnitzel....less Shizzle. Can I get a shout out, Hamtramck?
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:04 pm

Anyone know if the big explosion on All My Children airs next Friday, or when?

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:14 pm

I am not convinced Charlie didn't get it. Having spoken to him for a short time at the fight party filiming in Oakland, he is a really sharp, down to earth person. He got into the ring with a fighter that borders on pro and did well for himself. One must remember that his underlying goal is entertaining his audience. He comes across much differently on camera than in person. I like the guy and I enjoyed watching his perspective of the festival.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

webdaemon

Post by webdaemon » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:02 pm

ok i REALLY hope some one Tivo'ed it and is able to set up an FTP or a Torrent. i dont have cable and i Really want this.

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:09 pm

webdaemon wrote:ok i REALLY hope some one Tivo'ed it and is able to set up an FTP or a Torrent. i dont have cable and i Really want this.
And I don't have a DeLorean refitted with a boat racing engine and a fifty cal. mounted on top. Waaauuuuuggghhh.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Bob wrote:
lurker wrote:The 'faux' buddhist temple? Meditating at the temple but they've never been to Asia? Is going to Asia a prerequisite for being a Buddhist? Or for meditating?
Maybe he asked himself whether meditating was participatory?

Or how anyone could pretend to meditate at the acoustic center of a bleeding faux Buddhist rave with sunburnt sysops from Lompoc milling about drinking Watney's Red Barrel with all the dust and salt of northwestern Nevada swirling up into a nasty fog sandblasting off their facial creme as fat German businessmen swing like monkeys off the faux Buddhist lanterns overhead sing the falsetto prelude from Immigrant Song over and over and throw up over your Mojitos?
...forming pyramids and frightening the children... Good one!

Charlie was OK in some regards. I just felt like he was constantly reaching or striving and never hit the wall as we do in that transformational way. After all, we all left with something special, but all he got was something in a flat silver can.

A great firespinner put it well for me last night, "When you are having the worst time, that's when you must press on becuase you are about to have the best night of your burn when you feel connected to 40,000 people as they well up through you and your performance."

Lastly, MiniMan is now available for children's birthday parties. Charlie can handle his bookings on the Discovery Kids website.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Keltoi

JUST COULD NOT RESIST THIS GREAT ONCE IN A LIFE TIME CHANCE

Post by Keltoi » Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:26 pm

OH BOY! WHAT A RIOT! I BELIEVE PIGS CAN REALLY FLY!!! THANK YOU
GOD FOR A TV REMOTE CONTROL AND SATELITE TV WITH SURFING
BOREDOM AND THEN I NEVER NEVER WOULD HAVE RAN ACROSS ,
ONLY IN AMERICA------"BURNING MAN" "WHERE ALL OF AMERICA'S
PROBLEMS CAN BE FOUND IN ONE PLACE"

YES! HE PROVED MY THEORY! ONLY THE DERANGED AND WEIRD PEOPLE OF AMERICA GATHER ON THE PLAYA, THAT LOOKED LIKE A RATHER
BORING, BORING, BORING!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY AND TO BURN DOWN THOSE BEAUTIFUL PIECES OF ART WORK, YES, I HAVE TO ADMIRE, SOME OF THE ART WORK, ESPECIALLY THE BUDDIST TEMPLE.
AND WHAT LOOKED LIKE ANGEL WINGS.

AND TO PROVE MY THEORY CORRECT JUST LOOK AT YEA YOU GOT IT YOUR ONE AND ONLY KINETIC IV.......SORRY........YOU ARE THE ULTIMATE EXPAMPLE, I KNOW I AM BAD, I JUST COULD NOT RESIST AFTER ALL THESE YEARS, TO COME BACK ONE LAST TIME, AFTER SEEING THAT SHOW AND THEN I REMEMBERED THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!1

HAA HAA HAA!! NOT SO SACRED ANYMORE KINETIC THE WORD IS OUT TO THE PUBLIC AND THIS WEBSITE WILL GET MANY HITS NOW.

BY THE BY, MR HARVEY, LOOKS PRETTY WELL OFF AND NOT SUFFERING ANY, HE LOOKED VERY COMFORTABLE, AND LOOKED VERY WEALTHY FROM HIS VENTURE INTO BURNING MAN, VERY CAPITALISTIC GAINS I WOULD SAY OUT OF A "GIFTING ECONOMY FROM THE HEART"? ESPECIALLY WITH 6 LAWYERS? DID THEY SAY TO BACK HIS INTERESTS?

:D :twisted: :evil: :!: :?:
HAPPY EVER AFTER FINALLY CAME MY WAY!
DREAMS DO COME TRUE AND HAPPINESS
CAN BE FOUND WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT.

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:45 pm

webdaemon wrote:ok i REALLY hope some one Tivo'ed it and is able to set up an FTP or a Torrent. i dont have cable and i Really want this.
There is a link to a torrent on tribe. It is uncompressed high quality apparently. 2 gigs :(

I'm still downloading....
Participate! - )'( -

http://regionalchaos.net

the fire elf
Burning Since: 2002

Re: JUST COULD NOT RESIST THIS GREAT ONCE IN A LIFE TIME CHA

Post by the fire elf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:35 am

Keltoi wrote: :D :twisted: :evil: :!: :?:
you're cute
instantiate vacuous truth

chromatest
Camp Name: Themeless

Only in America Torrent

Post by chromatest » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:38 pm

http://68.122.77.186:6969/torrents/Only ... 01FBF9AC1B

-or-

http://tinyurl.com/74ueg

EDIT: to include the following information...

To download a torrent, you need some sort of BitTorrent Client.

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ Azureus is my favorite.

BitTorrents work by people sharing bits of files, so if you download this file, leave the torrent running, so people can download bits of the file from you.

I'm currently downloading from about 14 people all at once for a combined actual download speed of around 180 kB/s. I should have the 2 GIG file in about 4 hours.

the fire elf

Post by the fire elf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:41 pm

"unknown file type"

the fire elf

Post by the fire elf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:41 pm

care to shed some light?

chromatest
Camp Name: Themeless

commercial-free

Post by chromatest » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:32 pm

The current torrent download has commercials in it. I plan to edit the file so that it won't have those anymore. That will make the file size a bit smaller. Of course, I've never really done anything like this, so I'm going to fake it and hopefully I can get it done.

I then plan on creating a new torrent on a public tracker (that's a good thing) for the new edited commercial-free version.

Return to “Stories”