Burningman is for flags

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:19 pm

I think the original poster raised a flag by starting a thread
designed to invoke conflict and draw counter-attacks from offended members of this internet community that includes of a significant number
of gays.

It wasn`t clear exactly what he/she was trying to say other than
'...here, I`ve just crapped on your front porch...now come and do something about it..."
There wasn`t any social or artistic value in the title or text of his message.

......or was there?

Sure it(the comments) deserved to be shot down and some did step in to challenge the offender. It could have evolved into the typical pissing contest with the name calling and posturing that follows Troll posts...
...but the poster or hacker who jacked Brown`s account, (whom we aren`t certain is really Brown or running for President any more than we know about Christopher Walken)...disappeared without uttering another shitty word.
..so what do we do? Shake our heads in disgust and kill those horrible sentiments with a push of a button,..a click of a mouse? Ask the Mods/Admins to make it go away? How tidy. Everything in its place? Maybe not.
...Sure no one can argue that this thread deserved to live, ..but I was pleasantly suprised that the staff took a leap of faith and allowed us to change, like Kinetic and Spec are saying, ..something nasty into a rallying
point for something positive to move forward with.
Sure this thread can still collapse into insults and conflict as they sometimes do, and...
..It isn`t exactly Standard Operating Proceedures to skew the original intent of errant threads, but I can`t think of a better way to show the unity, as well as the individuality and creative, innovative spirit of our community.

...and besides, I love flags.
Flags are all about identity, and some of the flags displayed proudly here mean a lot to me, and represent some important components of my identity.
Let`s show them who we are and what we`re made of.

lurker

Post by lurker » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:13 am

post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
Y'know what, Kinetic? That could apply to pretty much every single post on here it's so vague.

So vague, in fact that it would be better if it didn't exist at all. Better by far to replace it with something like--

"We reserve the right to remove, alter or lock any conversations or threads that, in our opinion, are detrimental to the purposes of the site"

That's honest, makes the point that the site's owners will decide what's what, and leaves the vagaries to the minds of those who got erased.

Hey, there's flowers growing out of this horse!
"Life is like a box of razor blades. Sharp, shiny, and good for removing unwanted body hair"

nogganoodle
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Booby Bar, UK Envoy

Post by nogganoodle » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:17 pm

It's amazing how one random act can prove a thousand responses....
You don't need a license to drive a sandwich

nogganoodle
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Booby Bar, UK Envoy

Post by nogganoodle » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:19 pm

sorry provoke
You don't need a license to drive a sandwich

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:14 pm

nogganoodle wrote:It's amazing how one random act can prove a thousand responses....
not really surprised anymore, people just want the opportunity to rant and argue.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

speaking of flags

Post by Tiahaar » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:36 pm

so since I'm a gay male waving a flag I could be a...flaggot! heheh...
at BurningMan! so of course BurningMan is for flags, f*ags, whatever. y'all know it's not the words themselves but the meaning a person puts behind them; I like faerie most myself...kind of has a Gothic-mystical-homosexual aura to it...
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:56 pm

Much as I hate frays, I have to say I think Lurker has a point, albeit a subtle one. Face is Spec, you were really on the fence about intervening, prefering the users to mod themselves. It was EDB's genius to L the fag. Actually doing it was your participation, which is cool, but think back to the reservations you had before you made that move. Just a tiny bit more risky restraint would have been elegantly perfect. As it is, when I first saw the thread, it said flag and didn't make any sense at all.
But it's a tiny point in the face of what has probably turned into my favorite thread so far. Cheers to all!

edited to clean up Campari induced bad grammar

Zoom

Post by Zoom » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:25 am

thank god for the powers that look out for us and guide us through this wild ride to find out that there is life afterwards.

robotland

Post by robotland » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:53 pm

WooHOO! I just got a job at a banner company, and plan to Fly My Freak Flag, Flag My Fly Freak, AND Freak My Fly Flag. Long may we wave!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Zoom

Post by Zoom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:46 am

thank god for the powers that look out for us and guide us through this wild ride to find out that there is life afterwards.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:10 am

WooHOO! I just got a job at a banner company
I'm in love ...

Zoom

Post by Zoom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:58 am

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:48 pm

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:38 pm

AntiM wrote:
WooHOO! I just got a job at a banner company
I'm in love ...
"Look ma- I'm a screenprinter!" (Day II)...

I was already planning to do pennance of sorts at Burning Man this year...Now I shall also do pennants. I've started a collection of kickass banner scrap- Really nice, heavy, tough-as-hell material, and they're throwing away MUCH too much of it. This will go places. I'm excited.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Discosybil

Post by Discosybil » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:25 pm

I sort of like definition #3

flag
n 1: emblem usually consisting of a rectangular piece of cloth of
distinctive design
2: an emblem flown as a symbol of nationality [syn: national
flag, ensign]
3: plants with sword-shaped leaves and erect stalks bearing
bright-colored flowers composed of three petals and three
drooping sepals [syn: iris, fleur-de-lis, sword lily]
4: a rectangular piece of fabric used as a signalling device
[syn: signal flag]
5: flagpole used to mark the position of the hole on a golf
green [syn: pin]
6: stratified stone that splits into pieces suitable as paving
stones [syn: flagstone]
7: a conspicuously marked or shaped tail
v 1: communicate or signal with a flag
2: provide with a flag; "Flag this file so that I can recognize
it immediately"
3: droop, sink, or settle from or as if from pressure or loss
of tautness [syn: sag, droop, swag]
4: decorate with flags, as of buildings
5: become less intense [syn: ease up, ease off, slacken
off, slack off]
[/quote][/url]

Discosybil

Post by Discosybil » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:34 pm

Our camp has actually been flag camp for 3 years. We have flags from every country that created shade for everybody that wanted to have a seat.

Zoom

Post by Zoom » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:31 am

discosybil wrote:
I sort of like definition #3

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:43 am

The Cheyenne Flag

Cheyenne recognize two principal deities, the Wise One Above and a God who lives beneath the ground. In addition, four spirits live at the points of the compass.

The Cheyenne are Plains people, and among the tribes who perform the sun dance in its most elaborate form. They placed heavy emphasis on visions in which an animal spirit adopts the individual and bestows special powers upon him so long as he observes some prescribed law or practice.

Their most venerated objects, contained in a sacred bundle, were a hat made from the skin and hair of a buffalo cow and four arrows - two painted for hunting and two for battle. These objects were carried in war to insure success over the enemy.

Toolmaker

!

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 pm

I prefer the edit method, even though it got to me admit to masturbating like a zoo monkey in another thread. I have no shame so finding out that SB edits threads didn't bother me at all. As far as TOTSE goes I don't think anyone there really has anything to do with this thread. I was on the original BBS back in 90-93 and found it to be a great place to learn. Yes it was a fringe site, yes users pirated software, yes we commited crimes. So what. The time frame when I was there we had alot of fun. Thanks for all the wonderful flags everyone.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:13 pm

dont edit threads that much, can probably count the number of times on one hand and anytime someone edits it will always timestamp the change with the account making the edit. sorta makes the need... redundant.

i forgot about this topic.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:33 pm

I completely agree with the title of this thread. Why, yes, Burning Man IS for flags! I see many flags out there on the Playa, my own camp included. The open sky and windiness of Black Rock City seems to be tailor-made for the flying of flags.

Flags of the many nations represented on the Playa, flown by the children of our international neighbours and friends...prayer flags, strung for both their colourfulness as well as the spiritual and emotional salubrity that they represent...flags on cars, flags to guide their happily wearisome travellers home after a round of adventuring...even flags on kitestrings. Flags are everywhere at Burning Man.

...Except when the wind blows too hard and/or the flags have been improperly insecured. Then they really *are* everywhere. Image
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:44 pm

Don't see a problem with the original title. Burning Man IS for fags, as well as every other sort of person. Well, except haters. But not player haters. The more the better.

O wait - as someone said, its not the words but the intent behind them. So the oringal poster had the intent to make themselves appear infantile, sad, and outdated. Mission accomplished!
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:26 pm

My country on NationStates, Sonnveld.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

EvilDustBooger

Post by EvilDustBooger » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:14 pm

PatfromOre

Post by PatfromOre » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:01 am

Speaking of flags, I was gifted a cool skull and cross bones flag from a camper behind me. It was gifted to him on his first burn, and wanted to gift to me since 06 was my first burn.

Return to “Stories”