Do You Dream of Burning Man?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
Jordan 10-E
Burning Since: 2002

Do You Dream of Burning Man?

Post by Jordan 10-E » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:16 am

So I just woke up this morning and had a good idea for a peaceful, non-controversial topic that we all could contribute to and won't require a debate. This one should be interesting and fun to talk about.

Do you dream of Burning Man? What are your dreams like? How often do you have them? Is the location in your dream on the playa or is it somewhere else? Do they follow similar patterns each time you have them or do they vary a lot? Do you have any particular dreams or snippets that you'd like to share; funny, weird, scary, "normal", etc?... However you want to approach it. There are no rules here and no one can fault you for dreaming what you do.

I will post more of my own later, but I will say that I have dreamt of Burning Man EVERY SINGLE NIGHT since coming back this year. Earlier in the year they only happened once in a while, even though I thought of Burning Man every day. I kinda like it.

So who wants to start?

Re: Do You Dream of Burning Man?

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:56 am

Jordan 10-E wrote:Do you dream of Burning Man?
About a week ago I woke up at 3am having just had a dream that I was on the playa (or at least, in some desert) and was enjoying this music / percussion art installation. I tried to go back to sleep but I kept thinking about the project. So I got up, started making diagrams and writing out descriptions and worked on it until 7am when I had to start my real job!

angelface

Post by angelface » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:08 am

I too have had burning man-esque dream every night since returning from the playa.. after my first year, I had the unique experience of waking up in my own home, in my own bed (from burning man dreams) and not knowing where I was.

One of the funniest one's I had this year was before burning man, I was at BM, except it was taking place in the mountains, instead of the desert, one of the camps was an actual building, and inside they had a swimming pool. The thing was, you could only go swimming fully clothed (shoes and all), that was part of the deal to go in the swimming pool.. weird, I know.

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:37 am

goddamn RTAs
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

angelgabe

Post by angelgabe » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:40 pm

I too often dream about BM in the mountains,as well as normal buildings being there.The weird thing is I'e been having the dreams since way before I went to BM for the first time(in 2000).Before I went I didn't understand them.Now it feels like I never leave,and sometimes the dreams are so much better that the "real" BM that I get a little disappointed.But then the whole week turns into a dream,and merges with rest of the dreams...See ya'll in the dreamscape!

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:44 pm

I too often dream about BM in the mountains
go to geodesica

anyhow, before the event this year I was loosing major sleep over project anxiety dreams.
after the event I was loosing sleep over next years project growth which will of course lead to loosing sleep before '04 over project anxiety dreams.

remind me, why do I go again?

Jordan 10-E
Burning Since: 2002

Post by Jordan 10-E » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:52 pm

cause you hate sleep.

ecliptic

Post by ecliptic » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:31 pm

Of the many dreams of the playa I've had, one stands out the most. It was Burning Man in the winter. There was probably a foot of snow on the playa, and it was very serene. Theme camps were for the most part in big heated tents. Since this dream, I've wondered what the logistics of having a burn in the winter would be. The biggest benefit I think would be the elimination of a lot of yahoos/frat boys. I just don't know that it would work, considering it would be pretty difficult cleaning up moop from the snow. I think it's a nice thought though.

Nine

UniMog rules

Post by Nine » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:33 pm

I'll never forget that wicked DNB Unimog creeping about the desert with all the weirdys dancing about it (including myself!)

angelface

Post by angelface » Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:46 pm

sorry.. minor threadjack here... Nine.. are you the one who camped with us at Costco?

clandyone

Post by clandyone » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:00 pm

I've dreamed about Burning Man at least twice a week since I first went in '98. Usually they are frustration dreams about forgetting crucial items, and frequently it isn't Burning Man at all but some demented semi-urban setting with multiplexes and golf courses and shit. Or it is Burning Man, but someone has built condos on the playa. In these dreams, getting there is always a ridiculous steeplechase involving unworkable roads.

supersurly

Post by supersurly » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:43 pm

I had terrible waking dreams the first night back. The worst nightmares I have ever had, the most terrified I've ever been.

It was pretty bizarre, and not very fun.

The second night I had moderate nightmares, and since then I've had a couple of pleasant dreams about the playa and one where I was the predator(the movie one) who could also fly, it would have been cool but I was all crippled or something so I mostly just got to run around being invisible and only kill a couple people, instead of the hordes I would have liked to destroy.

I spend a lot of my waking hours dreaming of projects that will make it to the playa.

TestesInSac

Post by TestesInSac » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:54 pm

supersurly wrote:...I've had a couple of pleasant dreams...where I was the predator...only kill a couple people, instead of the hordes I would have liked to destroy.

I spend a lot of my waking hours dreaming of projects that will make it to the playa.
Do any of these projects involve fertilizer and Ryder trucks? Just curious.
I am my own sock puppet.

PJ

Post by PJ » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:39 pm

I had zero B.Man dreams after this year's event. Until two nights ago, when a prolonged and very detailed dream featured an E-Playa woman who also attended the Meet-&-Greet. There was nothing disturbing about this in the dream. But ever since then I feel...dirty.

O-Cuniculus

Post by O-Cuniculus » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:41 pm

I wish! I don't really dream. Kind of sad, isn't it?

chloe_dancer

Post by chloe_dancer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:42 pm

ohhh who was it who was it?? i won't tell!!!!! was it me? ivy? friendly jen? who!!!???
i feel there is an angel in me whom i am constantly shocking

PJ

Post by PJ » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:45 pm

chloe_dancer wrote:ohhh who was it who was it?? i won't tell!!!!! was it me? ivy? friendly jen? who!!!???
I'm gonna play the "I'm not good at remembering names" card. Even though that's not the complete truth.

chloe_dancer

Post by chloe_dancer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:47 pm

ooooo pooo on you!! no fun no fun:)P
i feel there is an angel in me whom i am constantly shocking

thoughtsurfer

Playadreams...

Post by thoughtsurfer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:57 pm

I woke at an ungodly 6am from yet another playa-dream...
nighttime...firedancers...scaffolding...many beautiful people
and some kind of sexy-orgy-happening...
wish I could remember it in some kind of detail...
the seductive elusiveness of the dreamtime...
sigh...

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:54 pm

ohhh who was it who was it?? i won't tell!!!!! was it me? ivy? friendly jen? who!!!???
Oh, no you people don't...you get me nearly 24-7 on the eplaya, you can't me in your dreams, too!

TestesInSac

Post by TestesInSac » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:57 pm

Ivy wrote:Oh, no you people don't...you get me nearly 24-7 on the eplaya, you can't me in your dreams, too!
Too late, you showed up in a couple of mine. And, sorry if this disappoints, they were quite innocent. And inasmuch as everyone seemed lost, fairly realistic, I think.
I am my own sock puppet.

ogg

Of course I dream of Burning Man

Post by ogg » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:00 pm

:twisted: almost nightly I dream of sub-concious arrays of spectacular burning grandure,uninhibited women of my non-existent world.. I dream of the Man as I,m awake.,,, I dream while I,m asleep. I extend my body, soul, and spirit as I release my problems and persuasions to the absolute energy the playa has manifested. All this time "TIME"28 years, 2 yrs ago "2001. We are the lucky ones. You can go to your grave in PEACE, you have been to the Greatest Party In The Universe

L:Gringo

Post by L:Gringo » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:17 pm

Oh, I dream of Burning Man at the most inconvenient times... I often find that when I'm having a, well, sex dream, suddenly I'm on the Playa and I'm crusing from camp to camp looking for my wife (lover). Often, we find each other at a particularly memorable piece of art (this year, both the Yard Game Camp and Xara keep, uh, popping up) having, well, intimacies.

--Digging the playing, in a purely sixties kinda "dig it" sort sense, not in a playa destructive way, I promise--

--L:Gringo
We all will burn someday...

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:45 pm

Last night I had a dream... ok, not a playa dream but I'm gonna share *anyway*

I dreamt I was buying bottled water and I just grabbed a bottle at random and purchased it. I got out of the store and looked at the label and it was called "Essence of Youth" I read down further and it said in smaller type "The only bottled water flavored with the sweat of young people."

I woke up in mid EWWWWW!
It's all about the squirrels.

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:15 pm

angelface wrote:sorry.. minor threadjack here... Nine.. are you the one who camped with us at Costco?
nope, krotus.

Chimp

Post by Chimp » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:23 am

It will surprise no-one to learn that mostly I dream about the apocalypse

oh, and space, and people going blind.

Burning man has cropped up in there lately, adding to the general oddness

a tip for you - actually I guess y'all know this taking more precribed drugs than any other nation on the planet - Valium is fucking great if you want REALLY vivid dreams

Lydia, read UBIK by Phillip K Dick if you haven't already your dream reminds me of it.

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:26 am

I find myself in a constant Burningman state of mind; awake and asleep. Asleep, I am at Burningman. I feel and smell the dust. I can taste EVERYTHING. Awake, I find myself touring my neighborhood. Each house is a campsite. I see people coming outside to see the sun come up and to see the sun set. I hear the trippy tunes on my stereo and I am at BRC. I just want to hug everyone I see.

You can take it with you.

What a beautiful thing.
BOOBIES!!!

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:27 am

Chimp wrote:a tip for you - actually I guess y'all know this taking more precribed drugs than any other nation on the planet - Valium is fucking great if you want REALLY vivid dreams
i concurr. i suspect that like me, you wouldn't have anything vaguely resembling a regular sleep cycle if you didn't take them. still trying to get clear on where i stand on the things for my own use. understand that due to illness and a couple of surgeries over the last 12 months, i was on my way to be the proud owner of a raging painkiller addiction. as if i needed another.

Borris
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: DPW

Post by Borris » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:32 am

Speaking about K. Dick

I mostly dream of sheep

Electronic sheep.
Shit, where was i for the last week... ehm...

nymphgonebad

Post by nymphgonebad » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:50 am

princess strych-9 wrote:
angelface wrote:sorry.. minor threadjack here... Nine.. are you the one who camped with us at Costco?
nope, krotus.
sorry, should have read all these posts thoroughly before posting. that's nine, not 9.

who can keep all these goddamned names straight?

Return to “Stories”