2006 First Report

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
cornelius
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Shortfuse, Robotronia, PoPCorn Palace

2006 First Report

Post by cornelius » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:27 pm

Hello friends. My virgin burn was the year everything burned, 1996, HELLCO. So on my decade aniversary when I planned on taking a year off from Black Rock City, the Godz of FIRE and DUST said "NO!" I was struck down by a gift ticket and ride. My Mercury was D-6, and our Olympus was a little camp called ROBOTS UNITE at 3 o'clock plaza! The trade off? Help put up our parachute. Jeez fellaz is that all?

We landed on Tue and blasted back to RNO on Wed. Our neighborhood: Bubble Bar, De-bochery Ball, Apokiliptika featuring club Verboten, Bad Ideal Theater! I met more awesome and beautiful Burners of all levels than I have in years. Saw old friends and hugged. Partied like it was 1999! Amazing Art this year: Alex Grey was out there! A giant flaming serpent, guarding it's egg blew me away. MEGA-VOLT almost happened but a flux in the spiral capacitor made it impossible to fire the Teslas for more than a few seconds.

HUGE installations and temples! The Belgians have outdone Zues by building this Gi-normous cave of matchsticks, 60 foot ceilings, H U G E ! All in all I was impressed by a return of that massive creativity and outpouring. Ya know, the type of year when it seems like EVERYBODY is doing SOMETHING VS. a giant camper land surrounding the Esplanade. Outstanding is all I can say. No I didn't get to make out with anyone this year, but, I shared deep heart-felt connections with "strangers" the whole time. Thank you UNIVERSE for Black Rock City and the people who give it life year after year!
ROBOTS UNITE

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Re: 2006 First Report

Post by ZaphodBurner » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:07 pm

cornelius wrote: No I didn't get to make out with anyone this year, but, I shared deep heart-felt connections with "strangers" the whole time. Thank you UNIVERSE for Black Rock City and the people who give it life year after year!
Thanks, man!

Sitting this one out with my wife and 15-day-old daughter.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

cornelius

Post by cornelius » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:37 pm

15 day old daughter?!? Beautiful! Congrats man!

My daughter is 3 and she's the F-ing best thing EVER! (except for a one day / one night pass to the greatest city on EARTH) Eva loves to talk Burning Man with me. We locate all the Burners going thru RNO and if we have a chance we go talk to them. She now tells me: "Dad when I get older I'm gonna go to Burning Man with you." and my reply: "Not until your 18 honey and can buy your own damn ticket. Then I'll go with you." ((I can't wait!))

Peace

-C Daddy
ROBOTS UNITE

julie_c

Post by julie_c » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:34 pm

2006....Burning Man...you redeemed yourself!!
Skipped 2005 after a "bum burn" in 2004, tried it again this year...made some new, crazy, great friends this year, hooked up with some old, great, crazy friends from years past...just had a really nice time. We camped at Hope & 6:30 this year...I tell ya what, you guys dont wander back there too often, but you will find some of the coolest, laid back, hospitable folks way out there!! Without a doubt...and that wide open space to wake up to every morning and watch the sun set to every evening is just beautiful.
Thanks to the great folks who set up camp back there with us, you made my time there a little extra special...

cornelius

Post by cornelius » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:51 am

I know Julie, the creativity really SPARKED this year! Hopefully the amount of amped people will out number the disillusioned, culminating in another fantastic year next. Does anyone know the B.M. cycle of sucky VS. GREAT years? Isn't it like 2 years of suck to 8 fantastic years?

(did I mention I hung out with a robot all night Tue?)
ROBOTS UNITE

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:44 pm

This was my eighth Burn and the best one yet. I missed last year owing to cancer and this Burn was like a gift to me. Reconnected with friends and they were all wowed by how much I've changed since '04.

Nothing brought me down — not being stalked, not the Dust Cyclone, not the heat, not my yurt getting torn apart by wind, not the failure of my kerosene lanterns. I learnt how to listen to the desert and respect it, I got a better appreciation for architecture, Entheon Village ROCKED!!, and our camp food was great. I got tired a lot but only a few minutes of shade and water and some food would invariably have me on my feet again.

I was nervous that I'd suffer out there since I'm not 100% recovered from cancer, but my body did better than it ever has. I was so jazzed to see that my new body was more than up to the challenge. The only bummer I really had was that BRC seems to throw off a lot more light pollution than it used to and I missed the stargazing opportunity from prior years.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:49 pm

The Dust Cyclone was awesome. I saw it from the Sugar Cube and it was the largest dust devil I have ever seen! It sat there for minutes!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Return to “Stories”