What preparation made your BM all that much better?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
pbmaniac2000

Post by pbmaniac2000 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:56 pm

What made my trip great was a whole bunch of those one gallon jugs of arizona tea. They were great no having to mix gatorade or any drinks. It was perfect. Also some prescription strength foot creme that i conned my doctor into was a huge hit. All of our feet were baby soft. Warmer clothes for night. :oops:

Lawrence of Arugula

Post by Lawrence of Arugula » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:24 pm

It's all about the baby wipes, baby!
relax already.

mars

Post by mars » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:03 pm

Baby Wipes, yeah! But also Blistex in the Tube! That's the BEST playa lip stuff I have found--waxy lip stuff just makes things worse, IMHO.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:43 pm

Carving out time to make a run to Fernley and dropping off all of my trash/MOOP/etc.

Lawrence of Arugula

Post by Lawrence of Arugula » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:06 pm

Wouldya look at that? Freddy was the original green (banana) man! Inspiriational given next year's theme, dontchathink?
relax already.

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:55 pm

Camel Pack
40 SPF Sunscreen
Hat
Condoms
Being in a kick ass foodie camp
--
Mr Mullen

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:28 pm

Baby wipes

Soda water

limes
Desert dogs drink deep.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:10 am

What made our trip better?

We took an hour before we left and reduced the amount of packaging to deal with, brought tools we didnt think we would need, brought 3 times the water we thought we would need, put up lots of shade, and got comfortable.

Also - left after the main exodus, (only took us an half an hour from camp to the highway) and best of all - after 4 years at BRC, I have learned that the least amount of dust is generated on the southwest corner of the city. Camp from 6-10 oclock and there is one third the dust as from 2-5.

prevailing winds come frrm the ssw and blow nne.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

mars

Post by mars » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:07 am

after 4 years at BRC, I have learned that the least amount of dust is generated
Shhhhhh!!!!! You're not supposed to tell!
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:41 am

This year I'm implementing a new packing strategy. Instead of going off the deep end at the grocery stores a few days before departure, I set aside a couple boxes with )*(s on them, and everytime I go to the store, I buy one or two non-perishable items to toss in the box.

By the time I load up the rig, I'll be fully provisioned minus the stress. I'll leave town with iced coolers and when I get to Alturas, get my fruit and veggies and re-ice up. Cool, crisp fruit that's only been sitting for a couple hours when I get to camp Image
The budget is more sustainable as well. Instead of shelling out $100 in one lump, I dole out a couple dollars every few days or so.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Remark
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Remark » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:51 am

I chose to not bring a camera this year

Cut the clothes I brought in half (about 12 changes of clothes only!)

90% shelf stable food items

Tested shelter BEFORE hitting the playa

helladee

Post by helladee » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:45 pm

I made sure that I brought plenty of nitrus oxide and positioned my tent just perfect so could pass out when I came crawling home at sun rise and not wake up an hour later from the fucken sun, and I diddnt run out of smokes or hot dudes![/b]

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:51 pm

What really worked well for us this year was that we told all of our friends that we had no intention of going this year and then went. Alot of "Hey, touch the Man for me" or "I'm really bummed we won't be going, if only" We then waited 2 days after they all left to go, which we figured should be more than enough time for them to get the dome setup, etc. At the end of the week we left a day earlier than them, one of our kids started kindergarten on Tuesday, so we needed a day to get ready blah blah blah.

Anyway, I must say it was one of the easiest Burns for us in years.

Apparently alot of the group isn't going next year ;)

mars

Post by mars » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:42 pm

Well, then, neither am I.
;-)

//////////////////////////

aeQea

Post by aeQea » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:25 am

RINGMASTER wrote:camel back
nasal saline spray
chapstick
cup-o-noodles

and plain ol' K.I.S.S.

by keeping it simple this year (our first year) it made it so much easier to get out and do whatever we wanted to do when we wanted to do it and not worrying about the camp while we scouted BM out for the first time.

of course, the plan is to do it completely the opposite next year, but this year all went according to plan, and we had several mulitple year burners around us remark at how well prepared we were and in many cases moreso than them.

camping is my bag.. the survival training ive had doesnt hurt either :)

cant say enough how many great people i met so thanks to everyone!
whats a K.I.S.S.?
i'm not sorry for being me, i'm sorry for not being you

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:34 am

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

I prefer:

P.P.P.P.P.P.
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

aeQea

Post by aeQea » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:56 am

helitack wrote:Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

I prefer:

P.P.P.P.P.P.

hmm.
im not sure i even want to ask what that means.

=)
i'm not sorry for being me, i'm sorry for not being you

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:33 am

I liked the carpet.

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:34 am

My best last year was dually coolers:

One packed with food for Sun-Wed, just regular ice. The other packed for Thurs-Sun, with 20lbs dry ice & frozen water bottles on bottom, then food, then 10-15lbs regular ice. The end of week cooler was not opened until Wed night, didn't have to keep putting ice in it, just a bag a day in the other & some for beverages. C'est magnifique!

Oh, and my new personal tent. I love being able to stand up in my tent & have room for my queen size bed.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Zhust
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:58 am

Ok, first, take a cue from the military and practice using the stuff you intend to use out there. Can you wash yourself with a rag and warm water? How much gray water do you really make in a day? Can you assemble your [camp/tent/project/shade structure] drunk in the dark? How many sets of batteries will I need for my LED light or EL-wire coat?

More specific stuff:
  • Pee jug - I use an old 1-gallon-ish liquid laundry soap container ... the one with the wide mouth and pouring spout. I can pee in comfort in my tent (especially early in the morning / on a cold night) and dump it at the JoTS when it's not busy.
  • Make Your own Instructions - I had a project (the Bike With 2 Brains) and walked through assembly of it at home, writing down each step. When I got to the Playa and puzzled over all these weird parts, I had a list as to what to do first. My intention was to use it for the nuances and ambiguous steps but it ended up handy to know even the obvious steps I completely blanked on.
  • Winter coat, hat, gloves - I didn't have enough room to bring it in 2006 and got lucky that the coldest nights were only in the upper-40's, but in 2004 it was great when the temperature dipped near freezing.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:46 pm

aeQea wrote:
helitack wrote:Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

I prefer:

P.P.P.P.P.P.

hmm.
im not sure i even want to ask what that means.

=)

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Military rule of thumb
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Toolmaker wrote:Military rule of thumb
Hey, look how well it worked in Iraq.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

thejohnstamos

Post by thejohnstamos » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:28 pm

I'm prone to losing things....

Chapstick- AROUND MY NECK (got from a campmate)
Cool lighter thing that pandora camp gave me (acctually got two- and regifted)
Little packages of small roll of 1-ply toilet paper in a plastic container- last minute find at REI....so perfect
Gloves and Tights to keep out the DUST

barnz

Post by barnz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:32 am

thejohnstamos wrote:I'm prone to losing things....
mee too...
The most valuable single item for me on the playa is a camelback type hydration pack. Not only does this keep my water at hand, but the extra pockets provide the 'place for everything with everything in its place' for the other essentials that so many of us can't keep our hands on:
  • dust goggles
    dust mask
    lip balm
    blinkie safety light
    camera
    espresso cup
    ice money
    bike lock key

Oh, and of course, MY TOWEL :P

If I've got my pack, I know I've got what I need, without having to think about each item individually, which is a huge help in the dark, when I really gotta pee, or when I'm not feeling altogether altogether...
~~~~~~~~
known on the Playa (especially Ranger Radios) as HOOPY FROOD.

"A towel … is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." – Douglas Adams

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:55 pm

I pre-cook almost everything (meatloaf, spagatti,chicken deboned,hamburger pattys etc...)
freeze it in indivual portions and baggies...then pack it coolers with frozen water bottels(one for late in the week with dry ice) drinks are in another cooler...take what your gonna eat out about an hour before and you can either heat it up or eat it cold..

super nice in the middle of the night when you just want something before you pass out...
Oh and garbage I use a gallon water bottel container to put used baby wipes and glow sticks in to compact trash...

I also bring a set of clean clothes in a gallon ziplock-that I leave in the car sooooooo I have one change of clothes without playa dust when headed back to default world..

My bath tub worked GREAT this year-ohhh it was a plastic storage container I was able to sit in-that way you can use less water and not be cold when your soaping up....old towels sop up water then hang in sunshine...Life is good
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:45 pm

barnz wrote:
thejohnstamos wrote:I'm prone to losing things....
mee too...
The most valuable single item for me on the playa is a camelback type hydration pack. Not only does this keep my water at hand, but the extra pockets provide the 'place for everything with everything in its place' for the other essentials that so many of us can't keep our hands on:
  • dust goggles
    dust mask
    lip balm
    blinkie safety light
    camera
    espresso cup
    ice money
    bike lock key

Oh, and of course, MY TOWEL :P

If I've got my pack, I know I've got what I need, without having to think about each item individually, which is a huge help in the dark, when I really gotta pee, or when I'm not feeling altogether altogether...

Me three! My Camelbak Mule held everything I couldn't go without..

3 liters of water / green tea / electrolyte
Smokes
Butt Tins
Sm Medkit
Lighters
LaraBars
Torches
Extra batteries
Wipes
Multitool
Knife
Saline
Balm

I wound up skipping the gogs and mask for the mostpart. My regular glasses and a bandanna worked for me. My pack was THE single most important tool on the playa.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:33 pm

Oops, you forgot the zip-loc baggies.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

skygod

Post by skygod » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:05 pm

My best preparation was forgetting to bring the bag with all my costumes and batteries and still having a good time anyway.
Next year: CHECKLIST!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

cornelius
Camp Name: Shortfuse, Robotronia, PoPCorn Palace

Post by cornelius » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:58 pm

50 dollars worth of cool ass blinky and glow-ee things. Multi color plasma disc for wearing; a rainbow colored "time tunnel" embedded in a shiny chrome medalion; little tiny L.E.D. fingerlings flash lights for your fingers; psychedelia light show action all the time baby!

"Hey buddy, wanna light show?"
ROBOTS UNITE

klone138

Post by klone138 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:16 am

I gotta say a spray bottle with vinegar in it. It does wonders for those dry ass playa feet/hands. Plus It helped out countless burners that were in need. Thats one thing I finally remembered to bring this year, that I will never forget again.

Return to “Stories”