PLease, do not bring your bikes to the burn

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
oleg8888

PLease, do not bring your bikes to the burn

Post by oleg8888 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:55 am

Not to start another bitching topic, but people, Please do not bring your bikes to man's burn
Thanks

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:49 am

Trip hazard.

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:12 am

Troll bait.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Dusty Feats

Post by Dusty Feats » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:28 am

(insert thumbs up symbol here)

After the first couple of days, I rarely rode at night, choosing instead to walk (blinky lights and headlamp ablaze while on the playa or dark streets) in the coolness. And my camp was out in the nether regions of Hope!

As the week went on, I found myself walking more and more. I discovered that connections (oft times just a friendly hello and short chat) at random camps were more easily made this way.

I suspicion that more bikes are "borrowed" at night as opposed to the day, too.

As a first time burner, I had a fantastic time. It was all I had envisioned and more!

trees

Appendage

Post by trees » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:34 pm

Sorry, when I'm at BM my bike is an appendage, it goes with me everywhere.

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:42 am

Why? What is the reason behind not bringing bikes? Are you religiosly opposed to them?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

Tiara

Post by Tiara » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:12 pm

The CO wrote:Why? What is the reason behind not bringing bikes?
Well, you won't be allowed to have your bike within the crowded sitting/standing only room ringing the burn. So you'll have to leave your bike somewhere outside the teeming circle of humanity. This makes it vulnerable to theft. This may make it hard for you to find it again as the crowd shifts once the man falls. And 10,000+ bikes piled helter skelter in the dark makes for quite a few safety hazards for everyone in the area.

There may be other reasons, but that's where I'd start.

trees

Lit and Locked

Post by trees » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:46 pm

If your bike is lit and locked (to a post or a group of your friends bikes) it's unlikley that it will be stolen or lost. Take note of a landmark where your bike is locked and it's no problem finding it. I've been there, done that, no sweat.

mycillion

Post by mycillion » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:22 am

I think the thought is don't bring your bikes to the actual saturday night burn...? Walk instead of ride...? That's my interpretation... But my opinion is do whatever makes you happy - walk - ride -crawl ; with all the huge art cars - bikes aren't really an issue.

The CO
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404://Village Not Found

Post by The CO » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:59 am

mycillion wrote:I think the thought is don't bring your bikes to the actual saturday night burn...?
Well, that makes more sense.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
When I ask how many burns, I mean at BRC.

bradtem
Burning Since: 1998

He's right

Post by bradtem » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:52 pm

Bring your bike almost everywhere, except the burn. 30,000 people come to the burn. You can get away with bringing your bike now because most people know better, and thus there are just a thousand or so folks, mostly virgins, who have not clued in. If people didn't know not to bring bikes it would be a sea of 30,000 bikes, a hazard for people walking, an impossiblity for the art cars getting in and out, and hundreds of bikes would be damaged by people like DPW crew getting vehicles in and out through the sea -- I think they actually enjoy this a bit.

It's under 2,000' from the esplanade to the man circle. Even if you are disabled it's only a few minutes walk to some more reliable place to park your bike.

The temple burn tolerates bikes better, in that the audience is a fair bit smaller, the distance much greater, and people take more care.

After the man burns, the crowd gets disoriented. The main landmark is gone. Finding a bike after that can be a major task, even a lit one.

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:45 pm

last year 2005 a guy was walking around the man during the burn with his bike--- people were freaking on him--- I've never heard our tribe as rude as they were to this fool with his bike.....I went to him and explained that it was just to many people to have him walking around with his bike and asked him politely to take his bike out of the crowd...before we all threw him into the fire---He was almost nice and told me since I asked so nicely he would take it out of the crowd You get more honey always with sugar I love everyone and miss you ALL

mars

Post by mars » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:19 am

I brought my bike, but stayed way outside the crowd, by the art cars...could see burn just fine, even feel the heat...

At Temple Burn did the same, but then people crowded in around me so my bike ended up in a crowd...and some controlling asshole tried to give me shit for it...i didn't move the bike once it was crowded...if I had moved my bike, like the asshole wanted me to do, it would have been more of a problem than just leaving it there...and if he had kept his mouth shut, it would have been a better experience for everyone in the area...
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

bradtem

Sorry Mars

Post by bradtem » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:03 am

I have to side with the "asshole". If you brought your bike, you should have been sure to keep it outside the pedestrian crowd, with includes the crowd that will be arriving later than you. Now this guy might have been rude about how he went about it but his point that you shouldn't have your bike in that zone was right -- it just doesn't scale. All the other people around you have bikes too, you know. They either left them back at camp or parked them outside the crowd or where the crowd would be. The asshole was annoyed that you thought you were special. There may not have been much you could have done -- though you could have moved back as the crowd started filling in -- but the initial error was yours.

The temple burn tends to be a more solemn, sit-down event that lasts a lot longer. A bike on the ground takes up the space of several people, one standing up forces people to stand behind it.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:17 pm

I think that the point was moving the bike might have injured someone in the crowd, while leaving it stationary reduced the chances of hurting someone.

B.

(...and the crowd might have built up before mars realized it was forming.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

bradtem

Like I said

Post by bradtem » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:32 pm

It may have been too late, but that doesn't mean a mistake wasn't made and shouldn't have been apologized for. Perhaps even to defuse by saying, "Can you give me a hand getting my bike out of here safely?"

We've had lots of incidences of disturbing and very un-burning-man like conflicts watching the burns. People who deliberately stand up in front of sitting folks in spite of (or because of) knowing how much it is bothering those around them, and people who goad them on (which just seems to strengthen their will, since sitting would be admitting error) even when it's clear nothing will happen.

Now my personal view, btw, is that sitting as far back as possible is the right thing to do on behalf of the shorter people at the burn (largely the women) because when people sit, all can see the fire conclave, which performs above the level of the heads of the seated, but when we all stand, only the front row, and the tallest people, can see them. However, everybody's going to stand at the exciting part, which all will see because it's above.

But we haven't been able to come to any sort of resolution in an amorphous community way. I proposed trying to promulgate a convention that on the right (12 through 6 clockwise) people sit as far back as possible, and on the left, it's sit or stand as you want, to keep everybody happy. No luck yet.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Being forced to sit down at the temple last year was excruciating for me and I couldn't see anything. Everyone was up on their knees so they could see over people. What a joke!
I didn't even try to go this year.
Did it burn?
I'll skip it next year too.

bradtem

Forced to sit?

Post by bradtem » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:50 pm

How can you be forced to sit? There's always tons of places where people are standing that you can move to where they are standing. However, if you want or need to sit, you can't sit behind people who are standing.

Or do you mean, you wanted to stand in the front row of standers? Obviously only a small minority can do that.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:10 pm

I went early and was in one of those groups standing.
Then later people showed up and sat behind us and whinged until we sat down. It was not possible to move back at that point.
So I wasn't forced, it was whiny peer pressure, because "everybody knows you have to sit".
And it's disrespectful to sit at something like that.

I had a great view this year of somewhere pleasant.

bradtem

Not possible to move?

Post by bradtem » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:32 pm

I've found you can always move with care even in a packed group
of sitters.

Why is it disrespectful to sit? First of all it burns a long time. Secondly, as I noted, when you sit, everybody sees just about everything. When a group stands, only the people in the front, and the taller people behind them, see everything. Why would you want the former? Sure it can be tough to sit on Playa for an hour. Nobody's going to complain if you stretch during the waiting period, or even after the core of the burning.

mars

Post by mars » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:51 pm

BAS wrote:I think that the point was moving the bike might have injured someone in the crowd, while leaving it stationary reduced the chances of hurting someone. (...and the crowd might have built up before mars realized it was forming.)
My point exactly...if it hadn't happened so quickly, I would have definitely moved my bike further back to avoid the crowd. But once I was pinned in, the best and safest thing to do was to leave it there. (If you had seen this bike, you wouldn't have suggested picking it up over the crowd).

Now, if the guy had been respectful in his initial approach, I would have respectfully engaged with him...but he chose to begin our interaction by yelling at me and I stand by choice to ignore him, and call him an asshole here.

He made the area much worse than my bike ever did.
Live as if everyone loves you and thinks you look great. Dance as if no one is watching.

Jew Boy

Post by Jew Boy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:47 pm

Don't fucking bring anything to the Burn.
For this I left Poland?

mars

Post by mars » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:07 am

Why? Because YOU don't like it?

doberman

Post by doberman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:02 pm

*ucking 'ell, cant you argue about something more meaningful than sitting/standing?!

Jew Boy

Post by Jew Boy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:44 pm

Sorry. Don't bring anything I don't like to the Burn.
For this I left Poland?

mars

Post by mars » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:05 am

Jew Boy wrote:Sorry. Don't bring anything I don't like to the Burn.
okay.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:06 pm

Sounds like everyone has an opinion here, poersonally I live in the US, and pretty much take my bike wherever I want. The playa is fucking huge, My mates and I rode our bikes to both burns, chained them up at the edge and have a blast.

Personaly when people start giving me opinions and all I tend to push back, and do whatever XXXXX is just to spite them - even if i wasnt going to in the first place.

BM is what you make of it - dont like something, walk the other way.

later all
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:30 pm

You are sooooo verrry right burning man is what you make it---Just like life....we lost a camp mate this year----the tourist that were standing behind my camp mates and I were soooooo incredible RUDE would not shut UP even when asked poiletly several times. Thats all try to keep in mind that the temple is a place of refection---If your bringing a virgin to our fair city clue them in that the temple burn is not the Man burn... Its funny my first year I didn't even find the temple---and then the night it burned I was late and missed it all together----I was not ready for that part of our Burning man experince.
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:29 pm

Where does it say on your ticket that you cannot take your bike to the Temple Burn and you must park it in bum fucking Eygpt? Or that you must be seated if you're in one of the front rows? Fuck that shit!

I don't even BRING a bike to the event. It's not worth the trouble and walking leads to to many more encounters.

Personally. I'd ban bikes altogether. I'm so tired of walking the City streets and trying to avoid getting run over.

: P
Medicated and Motivated!

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:08 pm

Or that you must be seated if you're in one of the front rows? Fuck that shit!
It doesn't say it, nor does it say you won't get smacked if you're a rude asshole to everyone else. Fuck *that* shit.

:evil:

Return to “Stories”