MYSTERY METHOD AT BRC IN 06

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
madmatt

MYSTERY METHOD AT BRC IN 06

Post by madmatt » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:21 pm

Anyone have experiences with people using the "Mystery Method" or claiming to be one of the people associated with it?

I did, and it was perhaps my weirdest experience on the playa, which says a lot. Until I hear if I was alone in this, I won't reveal details.

Mystery Method is a secretive cult-like group centering around people who developed and are users of an incredibly powerful technique of sociologically-based, hypnotic persuasion and seduction (see http://www.mysterymethod.com/).

Mystery Method was developed by Erik Von Markovik a.k.a "Mystery". The system was initially outlined in posts on the newsgroup alt.seduction.fast, and later codified in the form of live-action seminars and an e-book which von Markovik sells from his website. (from wikipedia)

Because Mystery Method works so effectively, it is also being turned to uses other than to get women in the sack. It is also being used for conning people, in spying/intelligence gathering, career and monetary gain, etc.

Will

Post by Will » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:39 am

Do you have any citations of examples of it being used in other ways?
Will
www.comicsbyemail.com

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:51 am

Will wrote:Do you have any citations of examples of it being used in other ways?
The group itself has begun to market the thing, with workshops and books as a broader method to improve your social skills.

The person we met told us about a "schism" among people involved between those who wanted to keep it secret and use it only for bagging women, and others who were expanding it, selling books, etc. That sounded credible.

He told us about the intelligence community approaching their people,, etc. - who knows if there's a shred of truth to that, but would it surprise you?

Someone told me that people were using the method for conning people, but I don't know if that was the people involved, or some guy who took the course and used it. No way to confirm that either.

chup

Post by chup » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:55 am

And they will share the secret with you for only $2250 a seat !

Oh, I am sure that the women will be comforted to know they have been "bagged" by somebody they never would have slept with had the person not taken the course.....Must be the same caliber of people who use Ruffies to get "dates"...I can't decide what is more pathetic, somebody taking the class or somebody giving the class.....

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:12 am

hmmm, just before I started gong to BM and psting in places like this, I had some contact with people claiming to have secret knowledge of some myserious method.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:21 am

chup wrote:And they will share the secret with you for only $2250 a seat !
PATHETIC...............
Someone once said there's a sucker born every minute. And this looks like the perfect tool for reeling 'em in. As for the intelligence community looking into it...it's most likely a government agency looking for consumer fraud potential.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:28 am

They would have to be able to do mind-control to get me to give them $2250!
I once saw an ad in a newspaper saying "Send me a dollar and I'll tell you how to make money thru the classifieds."
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:11 pm

skygod wrote:They would have to be able to do mind-control to get me to give them $2250!
There's one born every minute.

Here's the thing - we were out at the 10 oclock dance place and this guy tried to do "the method" on my wife, while I was standing right there. (I didn't know he was doing that) I tried to keep it friendly and came over and me and my other friend and my wife started chatting with him.

He quit trying to hypnotize my wife, but within like a minute, he had us all thinking (and feeling) like he was the coolest guy ever, and that we were all totally clicking. He told us he was with the Mystery Method guys, and gave us his card and left. We believed him, and had heard of the phenomenon, and thought it was so weird and cool that one of them was a burner and how cool we got to meet one of these weird, notable freaks.

About 10 minutes later, the dime suddenly dropped and our friend Top 40, the soberest among us, said, "holy shit, he was totally doing it on us!"

Top 40 had also read more about it than us, so he knew roughly what their techniques were, and we retraced our entire conversation, and he pointed out how every single word of it fit with the techniques and steps he had read about. It was all lies.

(For example, create a connection between you and the prey: He said "where are you guys from?" We said "West Hollywood" "He said, oh my god, me too! What street do you live on?" We said "..." He said "oh my god, we're neighbors" and so on and so on.)

Then I thought, was he really this top guy in the Mystery Method circle, or had just bought the book and was pulling my dick? I googled the shit out of him, and unless he had gone to extremely great lengths to create a fake identity, it was him.

What I want to try to figure out was, was he just fucking around, did he fuck with anyone else's head? Is he a real burner, or figured he could really find some hot women at Burning Man? (which is true!)

skygod

Post by skygod » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:31 pm

I'd like to meet one of them.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

helitack

Post by helitack » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:43 pm

So, did you do him?
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:38 pm

helitack wrote:So, did you do him?
Um, no. The middle part of my story was when he left.

helitack

Post by helitack » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:39 pm

So, if you didn't do him, it wasn't effective, yes?

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:45 pm

helitack wrote:So, if you didn't do him, it wasn't effective, yes?
Yes it wasn't. But he was trying to fuck my wife, not me and me and my friend interrupted him. According to my wife, she was too smart for it. Still was a mind fuck.

helitack

Post by helitack » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:48 pm

Isn't life a mind fuck?

Myliatronic

Post by Myliatronic » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:32 pm

I am familiar with similar styles of persuasion. One in particular called NLP (neuro linguistic programming..sounds like its probably in much the same vein) ...

I was out on the Esplanade during the day with my boyfriend and our cute topless female campmate. I turned around for a minute, and when I looked back, there was a guy in a "Massage Guy" t-shirt rubbing on her and pulling reallllly obvious NLP techniques. After a little while observing, my boyfriend called him on it: "What is this, NLP?" ..the guy gave us a blank stare and said just a little too innocently "What's NLP?" ..he started in on me next until he realized I was taken and not falling for it, then he stared off into space for a bit and left. I'm glad we were there because our campmate had been eating it right up. It's interesting stuff, and powerful when done right..

If anyone is interested in reading up on NLP this website gives a good idea of what its all about: http://www.fastseduction.com/guide/

Is this like the Mystery Method guys or do they have something else they do?

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:18 pm

It sounds like the kind of stuff cults have been doing for years when recruiting people, if I am reading things right. I doubt that it is worth paying a couple thousand dollars to learn. :roll:

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:48 am

Myliatronic wrote:NLP http://www.fastseduction.com/guide/

Is this like the Mystery Method guys or do they have something else they do?
Hey Mylia, Totally related. I did a bunch of internet research and cross referencing because it kind of creeped me out, and that website came up repeatedly.

What kind of bugs me is the commercialization aspect, especially considering how many sleezebags will use it to objectify and take advantage of women.

gyre

NLP?

Post by gyre » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:22 pm

Other than seeing the abbreviation nlp on other threads I've never heard of it before either.

The philosopher Gurdjieff is supposed to have seduced a room of people at a party, to make the point that they weren't actually in control of themselves, and should be.
It seems like these techniques, even if used to lie, shouldn't make you do something you don't want to.

If you know how interrogation techniques work and everyone should, they are not very effective.
Perhaps this is a similar thing?
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

chup

Post by chup » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Geez...
You guys really believe this crap works..? If you send me $49.95, I will send you a ticket to heaven. Good Seats, Right on the 50yard line..
If your not 100% Satisfied after your death, I will refund your money.
PS, I will be using mind control to do your girlfriend after your death, so make sure you knock before returning to earth !

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:58 pm

I was checking the eplaya last night and I had my girlfriend take a look at the Fast Seduction website. Quite a bit of it she laughed at but there was a section on first touches that she agreed with. So there might be some kernels of good stuff in there if you want to take the time to sort through it. YMMV.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:12 pm

Humans are a herd animal. Staying in the herd is important to us.. Fear of being cast out is a powerful brain toy to play with.. There many brain toys for people to mess with "In your head"

Otisserie

The Game

Post by Otisserie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 pm

There's currently a best-selling book out now called The Game by Neil Strauss detailing a year he spent with a bunch of these people learning all of their techniques. It's a facinating read, highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Penetrating- ... F8&s=books
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

madmatt

Re: The Game

Post by madmatt » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:45 am

Otisserie wrote:There's currently a best-selling book out now called The Game by Neil Strauss detailing a year he spent with a bunch of these people learning all of their techniques.
...and then became one of them, named "Style" (sorry, but what a pinhead nickname) That's how we knew about the phenom, we had read an article about it in the New Yorker.

The guy we met was Savoy who is CEO of the company that markets all their merchandise and "workshops."

skygod

Post by skygod » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:23 pm

Thanks, OTI, I'll read it.
I'm thinking that manipulating others in this way is the essence of evil.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:37 pm

Otisserie wrote:There's currently a best-selling book out now called The Game by Neil Strauss detailing a year he spent with a bunch of these people learning all of their techniques. It's a facinating read, highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Penetrating- ... F8&s=books

Apparently, he is also behind the "Mystery Method." I found the following after poking around Amazon some:

# The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed by Neil Strauss
# The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists by Neil Strauss

I'd get a copy from the library before investing any money in a copy of the book, much less an expensive seminar.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:39 am

# The Mystery Method: How to Get Beautiful Women Into Bed by Neil Strauss # The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists by Neil Strauss I'd get a copy from the library before investing any money in a copy of the book, much less an expensive seminar. [/quote]

The Rolling Stone article about Neil Strauss and his "adventure" in becoming a sleezebag was hysterical. Especially when he successfully picked up Britney Spears on the beach in Malibu within like 15 minutes.

madmatt

Breathing life back into this thread

Post by madmatt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Just thought I'd bump this thread back up.

This guy was someone's friend, camped somewhere? Was it a group of people who used Mystery Method at BM? Just an individual? What's their response?

Hello?

Hellooo?

kukulcan

Post by kukulcan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:09 pm

well, judging by the cards he was giving out, it sounds like they had a camp, no?

anyways... the Mystery Method began with a guy who used to go by the handle "Mystery" on several of those seduction forums. i used to be intrigued by (and lightly study) NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) when i was in high school (5 years ago). it was about this time that Mystery was becoming well-known and making a big impact on the online "pick-up artist" (PUA) scene.

if you think that what he does is slimy or sinister, consider all of your innate posturing, body language, and psychological responses to certain words, phrases, ideas. NLP is a phenomenon that exists in almost all of our interactions with each other, whether we realize it or not. as humans, we don't really use the sense of taste or smell to communicate, so NLP focuses on visual, auditory, and kinesthetic (touch) cues.

we hug to bond with one another. we put our hands on our hips or cross our arms to show defiance, or defensive behavior. we widen our eyes to show surprise or interest. NLP is the phenomenon of how we program ourselves, and each other, via these senses. the linguistic side is a whole 'nother thing, too.

the Mystery Method is just this guy's distillation of what he has found to be the most effective means of manipulation via the realm of NLP. i'm sure some of you have read The Celestine Prophecy. i haven't myself, but from what i've discussed with other people, they talk a lot about "control dramas", which are just forms of NLP that we learn to use to extract energy from those around us. control dramas are very powerful forms of NLP; they're holistic, taking over our entire functions. if someone is an "aloof" type, they probably have withdrawn posture (visual/kinesthetic), carry a supposed attitude of disconnection (mental component), and are verbally sparse (auditory).

NLP is not inherently bad, it's just subconscious language, in the same way words can be arbitrary. i think NLP can make you a much more effective communicator. how you hone this skill is what matters. i am the boyfriend Myliatronic spoke about. most people have no filters in place to combat this type of shit, like a person whose ear is untrained for music. once you learn a little bit, and start to take notice of the subconscious rhythm we all groove to, you can't stop! as soon as the guy walked up, i sized him up, and had him pegged for an NLP/seduction guy within about 15 seconds. it just got so ridiculous (in less than 2 minutes) that it was KILLING ME to listen to the guy talk, so i called him on his crap and basically told him to leave. we probably had an understanding after that. lol.

okay.
the fiber of the thread of the same fabric.

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:48 am

Hey Kukulcan -

Thanks for the info, that's very interesting indeed. I had a hunch that it was based on some very profound shit. The immediate and strong effect it had on me, my wife and my friend is exactly what alarmed me, and what prompted this thread.

Actually, I'm inviting this guy and/or his cohorts to step up and tell us all how it's fun BM parlour tricks, and they weren't a pack of playa wolves, sort of not assuming the worst first.

"NLP is not inherently bad, it's just subconscious language"

- I agree. Obviously any powerful tool can be used for good or evil.

"judging by the cards he was giving out, it sounds like they had a camp"

- they were just business cards with the info on them about the company that markets the books and workshops. I got the feeling he was "demo'ing" on us, and that we may want to become customers.

"if you think that what he does is slimy or sinister, consider all of your innate posturing, body language"

- exactly, it's innate, not intentionally manipulated to deceived people and win over their trust when they really have no reason to trust you.

"the Mystery Method is just this guy's distillation of what he has found to be the most effective means of manipulation"

- again, you really seriously cannot look me straight in the face and tell me it's not manipulation and deception to help a person get what they want from another person.

PS - I'm glad you use your power for good. :D

kukulcan

Post by kukulcan » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:04 am

it was poorly worded, but what i meant to suggest is that EVERYONE uses NLP on each other, regardless of whether they know it or not, the extent of which varies. true, his usage is much more potent. he was using it to manipulate, but he was exploiting an innate form of conditioning which is already there; he's not reinventing the wheel here.

it's manipulation, yes, but if someone is really strong-willed or minded, then there is nothing that guy can say to manipulate them into a situation in which they are not ultimately willing, IN SOME WAY, to take part in. i think it would take a lot more psychological firepower than this guy has at his disposal to make you do something that you truly do not want to do; that's the stuff of CIA brainwashing conspiracy theories and shady hypnotist shows.

so if this is something we do to each other on a regular basis, without even knowing it, what does that mean? does that make it okay? if we do it consciously, does that make it cheating? i think the emergence of this information on a popular and commercial scale raises some interesting questions.

for a while, learning about this kind of stuff really put all of my interactions under a microscope. but, now i just see it as a valuable journey of self-knowledge.. a peek behind the curtains. it's crazy stuff, and i think that anyone who is interested in self-development owes it to themselves to explore the world of NLP. professionally, spiritually, emotionally... it's all related in the world of NLP.

- positive affirmations in yoga or meditation
- good posture, eye contact, smiling during a business meeting or interview
- standing tall, balling your fists, and feeling your sinews tighten in your back and arms, telling yourself you're going to absolutely mangle the person standing before you, aka "ramping up" for a fight
- telling yourself that it's going to be a beautiful day once you wake up

the internal conversation.
the fiber of the thread of the same fabric.

Return to “Stories”