MYSTERY METHOD AT BRC IN 06

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:17 pm

So your wife talked to a friendly guy and you all liked him. Is there more to this story that I'm missing?

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:42 am

MikeVDS wrote:So your wife talked to a friendly guy and you all liked him. Is there more to this story that I'm missing?
Clearly. Guess you just had to be there. Or have read about this phenom previously, think it was really weird and a little creepy, then at BM of all places, meet one of the main guys who "does" the thing on you.

But if you're missing why this was odd, then I guess you had to be there.

GameBoy

Post by GameBoy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:39 am

Sounds like you met Savoy.

It also sounds like you and your friends are confusing MM with NLP and Speed Seduction (techniques developed by Ross Jefferies)

MM is based on laws of attraction as noted from years of social exparamentation. Erik (Mystery) is heavily into Evolutionary Psycology and uses many of its principals to backwards rationalize his findings and techniques.

To my knowledge, the government does not use MM in any way.
However, the CIA, NSA, FBI and some state departments have been using NLP for years. Neuro Linguistic Programming is based upong logic process, trance words and other key psychological gateways. It's a strong tool from controlling the 'frame' of a situation and steering others towards a specific way of thinking.

If you want to know more anout the Mystery Method - Go ask the guys who practice it: www.mysterymethod.com/forum.

-GB
-GameBoy
All your women are belong to me.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:14 am

Ok I was reading the forums. I haven't read the actual books material or anything so that's where this is coming from. It seems like people with no social skills are using this as a tool to know how to properly socialize. The things I've read about it have fancy names, but it's basically common knowledge to anyone someone would consider a friendly person. Basic psychology on how good social skills work. I think most people realize they can talk most people into most things if they approach it correctly. And most honest people would admit they can be talked into most reasonable things if approached correctly as well.

Toi Box

I "know" Mystery

Post by Toi Box » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:18 am

This is so funny. I know Mystery. Well more acurately I knew Mystery. I met him first about 15 years ago back in Toronto, when he was still Erik and still and practicing illusionist. Honestly he was a charming mother fucker back then. He was really into the self help gurus. He got me in to Anthony Robbins. A few months ago I googled his name just to see what he had done with his life...never suspecting that he had become a world famous seduction Guru. Ha I think this is all so funny. He was always good with the ladies. He used to use his minor illusions and bar tricks to real them.
Seriously he could have you eating out his hand in no time and this was when he was still a geeky goth boy living in his parents place in Missisauga.

I would actually love to get in touch with him again. For the record I would like to state (at least when I knew him) there wasn't anything misogynistic or "con artist" about him. He is a lover of women, truely and deeply. He was also one of my best friends.

GameBoy

Post by GameBoy » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:55 am

Mystery is a lover of women.
I don't belive that 'con man' is in any way an acurate portrayal of the man.
-GameBoy
All your women are belong to me.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:16 pm

This FORUM is a good example of the same self-gratification herding instinct that these "methods" use. Yep. Just look at those who have posts in the 4 and 5 digits... Keep coming back, feeding it, stroking it, and...

Um...

Oops...

Never mind. )giggles(

I've known guys who were relatively good at this. Fortunately my first exposure was by someone who was scary good at it, and was a friend at the time, who pulled me out and walked me through what he did.

The next time, I caught it right off. Still seductive (yeah, the human psyche is a buku scary contraption), but was able to flake him off.

Have had some try since then. The *really* sad thing is, once you recognize it, know the game, it's glaring. And when you dig into *them* (or at least when I did), they're generally flaky, scary, abusive, power-greedy, or after something. Same with those who are under its spell... :roll:

Still, it's a good system... for me... to tell what kind of person they *really* are. And using that knowledge for my own advantage (Yep, I'll admit, I did that!). Even on the Playa... How *else* can I get you to embrace your very doom?

Emancipatingly yours...
bb

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:13 pm

I think anyone caught trying to pull this Mystery Method shit off in a social situation should be treated in the same way that people doing imbedded, guerrilla advertising. Namely, they should have a beer bottle cracked across their front teeth, shoved to the ground and pissed on.

Just before setting them on fire.

But that's just me.

Otisserie

Not exactly benign

Post by Otisserie » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:30 pm

MikeVDS wrote:...The things I've read about it have fancy names, but it's basically common knowledge to anyone someone would consider a friendly person. Basic psychology on how good social skills work. I think most people realize they can talk most people into most things if they approach it correctly. And most honest people would admit they can be talked into most reasonable things if approached correctly as well.
They're not quite that benign; MM and similar methods do involve a lot of dishonesty. For example, you are encouraged to increase your "social value" to the target by memorizing and telling one of several humorous stories about your past cleverly designed to make you look good without actually bragging. Stories that are of course completely false. You are also encouraged to approach a group of women by asking one of a series of stock questions about a dilemma faced by your "friend". Of course there's a fair amount of lying going on in any singles bar, but it's an integral part of the Mystery Method.
I don't experiment with drugs anymore; I already know which ones I like.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:04 pm

I work in a state hospital for the developmentally disabled and I have seen a lot of physical malformities: children born with their brain outside of their skull, babies with no cheeks, etc, etc.
I'm thinking their must be people born with malformities in their brains that we can't see, that might give abilities to perceive, control, manipulate people to a greater degree than normal.
Some people are just better at this. Not just in dating, but in commerce. religion, and politics.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

helitack

Post by helitack » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Malformity? A charm malformity?
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:18 am

Isotopia wrote:I think anyone caught trying to pull this Mystery Method shit off in a social situation should be treated in the same way that people doing imbedded, guerrilla advertising. Namely, they should have a beer bottle cracked across their front teeth, shoved to the ground and pissed on.

But that's just me.
Word.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:28 am

Isotopia wrote:I think anyone caught trying to pull this Mystery Method shit off in a social situation should be treated in the same way that people doing imbedded, guerrilla advertising. Namely, they should have a beer bottle cracked across their front teeth, shoved to the ground and pissed on.

But that's just me.

You are too kind with them, Iso. FAR, far too kind. If I may quote from The BB Sue Book of Ettiquette, Social Grace, and Bourbon Recommendation Guide, it makes the following recommendations...

(1) The Judicious and complimentary use of a 2x4 of sufficient length and heft, in place of the aforementioned beer bottle, will keep the deliverer of social grace from the necessity of Picking up the moop from the bottle. An added plus is, should the bottle still contain beer, it would not necessitate the wastage of beer, or delaying of said method until the beer bottle is properly drained. Other materials which are preferable are lengths of steel pipe, cinder blocks, or, if available, the business end of an 8# (or greater) sledge hammer.

It should be noted, however, that a beer bottle may be the only implement within easy reach when such impropritary correction needs to be made. In this case, the offensive person should be made to pick up the broken shards of glass while they are picking up the broken shards of teeth.

(2) Similarily, please be certain that the scumbag is within easy vicinity of a burn platform, preferably one which also provides a barrier to prevent contamination of the fragile and delicate Playa Surface and potential damage to its fragile ecosystem by urine, blood, and other leaking bodily fluids and substances. We do heartily support the idea of immplation of these cretins, as it makes disposal of their moopy asses so much easier, however we ask please, to lessen the burden on others, that their remains be completely removed from the Playa to fully embrace the LNT philosophy.

(3) Please remember that the use of accelerants (Diesel, gasoline, propane canisters, napalm, etc.) is applauded, however we recommend that one not overuse any said accelerant as we would neother wish to damage the fragile ecosystem nor allow any pain and suffering to end prematurely. Only enough accelerant should be used to insure a state of Continuous Combustion (CC) occurs, thereby preventing excessive emissions while still allowing sufficient Sufferage (SS) to the Dorkwad.

Please be sure to enjoy next weeks article on the proper techniques of preserving and canning Playa Dust.

bb

skygod

Post by skygod » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:01 pm

Burn the witches!
Or give them ritalin at least.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

madmatt

Post by madmatt » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:52 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:...use of a 2x4...lengths of steel pipe, cinder blocks...sledge hammer...the offensive person should be made to pick up the broken shards of glass while they are picking up the broken shards of teeth...the scumbag...urine, blood, and other leaking bodily fluids and substances...disposal of their moopy asses...their remains be completely removed from the Playa...accelerants (Diesel, gasoline, propane canisters, napalm, etc.)...pain and suffering...sufficient Sufferage (SS) to the Dorkwad...
Damn, Sue, tell us what you really think.

Return to “Stories”