How Much Did You End Up Paying For Your BLM Citation?

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.
cold busted

How Much Did You End Up Paying For Your BLM Citation?

Post by cold busted » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:08 pm

This topic is for just the facts please. I think a lot of folks are searching through the endless posts of ePlaya for facts on what others ended up paying for various BLM Citations.

Please list what your citation was for, if for drug possession what kind of substances and how much, and did it require a court appearance? Also, what kind of citation did you receive (43 CFR, etc.) and did it result in a misdemeanor or felony?

Please do not elaborate too much on your individual story. There are several other topics that exist on here for that.

Thank you for your post!

rumrunner

Post by rumrunner » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:40 pm

Just the facts:

- Cited for possession of non-marijuana drugs.
- Required court appearance because of multiple substances.
- Fine: $525.00
- No public record, only BLM record. Do not have to reveal on job applications.

helitack
Burning Since: 2004

Post by helitack » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Not to mention they took your dope too...so yer out that dough as well
Actively helping President Trump build the wall

Winning hearts and minds in lovely TexMexistan...

cold busted

The Jury's In...

Post by cold busted » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:40 am

Ok, all done with this mess. I drove up to the beautiful city of Reno last week for my scheduled court date - mandatory only because of multiple substances, like rumrunner's. My fine was also $525.00, with no public record.

All-in-all, it was just basically an expensive lesson for being incredibly stupid and getting caught. Note to everyone - if you're doing lines in an RV, make damn sure no one can see in through the front window :)

Here's how everything went down in the court room. I was there with about 20 or so others - mostly Burners I think. There were about a half dozen BLM officers there to settle folks' cases in lieu of going in front of the judge which is what I saw most people doing. It seems that for marijuana, folks got off with about a $100 - $200 fine. For anything else (coke, ecstasy, shrooms), it was the standard $525.00. I chatted with the BLM officer for a few minutes while I was waiting to see the clerk, and one thing he told me, which I am in agreement with, is that it's not a good idea to get a lawyer for these citations under normal circumstances (i.e., you're guilty) as most local lawyers do not know the federal system. So, if you're guilty, basically just pay the fine and be happy with no public record of the incident. There will of course be a private record with the BLM, which could possibly affect folks applying for government or civil service jobs. Pleading not guilty and then having to deal with the court system can land you with a public record if convicted. Add a lawyer to those costs and you're likely going to end up paying more than the fine anyway.

While I don't necessarily agree that armed BLM agents should be patrolling BLC to the extent that they do, and citing the benevolent types like myself, at least they're not ruining peoples' lives with drug possession arrests and records.

Hopefully this will help anyone who finds themselves in the same situation. Please be smart, careful, and responsible if using drugs at BM. But, if you do get caught the best policy is to be cooperative with the agents and they'll likely go easy on you. They're basically looking for folks who are dealing at BM, and not the avg. personal-use types. Beyond that, don't stress too much and don't let it ruin your BM experience cause all-in-all it's not that big of a deal.

-CB

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:14 am

The only problem is by doing that you still have a "conviction", even tho it was a fine, and (becuz it's drug related) you end up with what is called an NCIC number, which means it is public record. YOUR record. Yucky.

3 places I know offhand where it can bugger you -

(1) Applying for a guv'ment job, OR a company that does contractor work for the guv'ment. Just applied for a job with another agency and they asked, not once, but twice, in the interview if I had a criminal record I didn't disclose. Bleah.

(2) If you work for a company where you do defense work, or have any kind of security clearance, or anything like that. Seen lowly security guards blackballed because they could no longer hold a clearance after getting a dope pop. Shitty.

(3) If you get busted again, esp. any drug charge. One of the things they do when busted is pull your NCIC and this can screw you. Yeah, means you gotta be extra careful. PULL THEM DAMN CURTAINS NEX TIME!!!

In about 10 years (so I'm told) it gets archived. Means there's still something there, but nothing explicit about what or where. They can pull the info, but it's a hassle. My ex- (who was a cop - that's how I know about all this uggy stuph) filled me in on this, told me that even if it's ancient history, the damn number still comes up. He was busted for having excessive fun during a bar brawl when he was a kid (and not running fast enough when the po'-leece showed up) and his number still comes up.

Yeah, so if anything from this, it's (1) be careful of you do fracture the law (even out there in free-wheelin' BRC), and (2) if you'bve fractured the law in this way before and been caught, be double careful you don't get hammered (by the man >giggles<) again!!

And yeah, a cop will ALWAYS tell you you *can* get a lawyer, but that it's best to plead guilty and take the fine, not take it to court, etc. Less of a hassle for them to get credit for the bust. A judge can overturn it, but if it goeth not to court... they win automatically. Good for their career points, bad for you for the rest of your life. If you can hire a lawyer, talk to one FIRST, before you throw your life away.

Dealing with the copz is like playing a game of... chess? No, make that Poker. Yeah, No limit Hold 'em. They will not have your best interests at heart, no matter how nice they are to you while you're signing your rights away. Think about this in the future, 'k... 'cuz they're from the guv'ment... and they're there to help.

Happy Cranberry sauce 2 you...
bb

Toolmaker

!

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:02 pm

Don't pass a bowl back and forth and you won't look suspicious enough to cite. Don't toot up lines in front of an open window. In other words try to exercise some common sense when doing drugs at an event loaded with cops looking to make money on fines.

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Common Sense + Doing Drugs = Depends Which Ones ?
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

Aze

Re: How Much Did You End Up Paying For Your BLM Citation?

Post by Aze » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:14 pm

$525 citation for marijuana possession, cited for 23CFR8365.1-4B2 (considered misdemeanor I believe), paid within 30 days, no court appearance.

BTW, to respond to the person who was concerned about getting a NCIC record, my extensive research shows that for these BLM citations no NCIC record is created unless you go to court and the US Attorney chooses to create a record.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:41 pm

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm

you are fooling yourself if you think you cen get a fine, plead out and not have an NCIC record. Its not up to the US attorney, defense lawyers or many others. Its up to the agencies database manager, or whoever is authorized at a particular office to access NCIC on their agencies behalf.

Gang members - or just for being a suspected gang member and having the right tattoo agets you in NCIC. Just getting arrested gets you an NCIC record.

Later all - read the link above, pretty broad.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Aze

Post by Aze » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:27 pm

No question that this could go on the NCIC record if the BLM wanted, but they don't. These BLM citations are a strange wormhole where the usual rules and logic don't necessarily apply.

I spoke with two different people at the BLM central violations bureau (where the fine gets paid) in addition to two different people at the court, all who said no NCIC record gets created if you just pay the citation. The people I spoke with at the court were the people who would actually be in charge of creating the NCIC record if they were going to do that, so they would know.

If you want to discuss this further, take it over to the other thread so as to maintain the original poster's vision for this thread.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:29 pm

Nine years, zero citations, zero fines.

Does that do something for your bell curve?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:35 am

*fishy flutters eyelashes*

Oh, that rings MY bell, Bob...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:11 pm

More Cowbell!

Return to “Stories”